PDA

View Full Version : If you taped yesterdays game..

Dee Dub
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Re-watch the two 4th and inches plays where Andy Reid went for it and the pass play to McCoy in the flat. Larry Foote is really not where he should have been. On 4th and inches I would love to have my ILB shooting the gap/penetrating to clog the holes but on both he is standing behind the piles on both plays as an absolute non-factor. Then on the Shady McCoy 15 yard TD reception, prior to snap Timmons moves into the gap between the center and right guard. With a 3 WR set to the left and a single back that means Foote has the flat to the right. Right at the snap Foote comes flying forward which completely takes him out of any proper angle for the flat. And that is all she wrote as McCoy caught him over pursuing and juked him out of his socks inside. I want more from the ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By the way, on that play (the 15 yard TD by McCoy), the amazing thing is Lawrence Timmons actually caught him from behind and tackled in the end zone. Timmons is blitzing all the way. He shoots the gap, gets engaged with a 300lb plus right guard, comes off of it, and then chases McCoy down from behind. Albeit a little late but still a very impressive show of Timmons athleticism.

If this is considered an agenda, then I am guilty. I want a better ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers next to Timmons. Larry Foote is a sore thumb sticky out.

Take your pick...

Mati T'eo Notre Dame
Alec Ogletree Georgia
Kevin Minter LSU

flippy
10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Re-watch the two 4th and inches plays where Andy Reid went for it and the pass play to McCoy in the flat. Larry Foote is really not where he should have been. On 4th and inches I would love to have my ILB shooting the gap/penetrating to clog the holes but on both he is standing behind the piles on both plays as an absolute non-factor. Then on the Shady McCoy 15 yard TD reception, prior to snap Timmons moves into the gap between the center and right guard. With a 3 WR set to the left and a single back that means Foote has the flat to the right. Right at the snap Foote comes flying forward which completely takes him out of any proper angle for the flat. And that is all she wrote as McCoy caught him over pursuing and juked him out of his socks inside. I want more from the ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By the way, on that play (the 15 yard TD by McCoy), the amazing thing is Lawrence Timmons actually caught him from behind and tackled in the end zone. Timmons is blitzing all the way. He shoots the gap, gets engaged with a 300lb plus right guard, comes off of it, and then chases McCoy down from behind. Albeit a little late but still a very impressive show of Timmons athleticism.

If this is considered an agenda, then I am guilty. I want a better ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers next to Timmons. Larry Foote is a sore thumb sticky out.

Take your pick...

Mati T'eo Notre Dame
Alec Ogletree Georgia
Kevin Minter LSU

Your agenda is you're ready for next year's draft. :)

Dee Dub
10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Your agenda is you're ready for next year's draft. :)

Always! But fact of the matter is I love the draft because I want great players for our beloved Steelers.

..and watching Foote stand behind those two 4th and inches piles with absolutely no penetration I thought to myself this would have never been the case with Jack Lambert, Levon Kirkland, or James Farrior.

SidSmythe
10-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Foote was totally misaligned. From the start McCoy had 3 yards on him just from alignment.

Right now no one is better at sticking their foot in the ground and cutting back in the NFL than McCoy. Foote was in full speed pursuit and was a sitting duck. He should have played him inside out and worked him towards the sideline but I think that was too much to ask.

Dee Dub
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Foote was totally misaligned. From the start McCoy had 3 yards on him just from alignment.

Right now no one is better at sticking their foot in the ground and cutting back in the NFL than McCoy. Foote was in full speed pursuit and was a sitting duck. He should have played him inside out and worked him towards the sideline but I think that was too much to ask.

Agreed. My whole thing is he never really read and reacted. He reacted (took two steps coming forward), before he ever new where the ball was going. And because of the two step commitment he had really no chance at McCoy in the open field. Yes I aso agree that McCoy is as good as it gets in the open field but we still need out LB's to make those plays.

feltdizz
10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Its damn near impossible for a LB to keep up with McCoy in the flat...

Dee Dub
10-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Its damn near impossible for a LB to keep up with McCoy in the flat...

Especially if you take yourself out of the play before you ever meet him in the flat. Me personally, I do expect a LB to take a better angle and at least make some contact to slow him down. After all McCoy caught the ball in the backfield 3 yards deep from the LOS.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM

I think you're being a little unrealistic in your expectations for Foote...after all, it's only his fourth game as the full-time starting replacement for James Farrior.

:D j/k

flippy
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Always! But fact of the matter is I love the draft because I want great players for our beloved Steelers.

..and watching Foote stand behind those two 4th and inches piles with absolutely no penetration I thought to myself this would have never been the case with Jack Lambert, Levon Kirkland, or James Farrior.

I'm with you. I love draft time. I read and enjoy many of your college threads but try to avoid the discussion until season end. Call me crazy, but for some reason, I feel like engaging in draft thoughts now means I'm giving up on the SuperBowl this year. I know it's not the case or rational, but I feel like I'll jinx the team or something. It's like the Steelers are my girlfriend and the college players are other girls and I have to break it off with the Steelers cause I'm not capable of juggling. :)

As soon as we're eliminated, that's the point I'm thinking draft.

hawaiiansteel
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
If this is considered an agenda, then I am guilty.

okay, you're guilty...

http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GuiltyDog.jpg