PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon immediate success expectations are unrealistic

Dee Dub
10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Seriously? Did you really expect Colon to change positions and be an immediate success? And to do so coming off of back to back injury years? Yes Colon has struggled, but primarily in pass blocking and of course penalties. But he has been darn near dominating in run blocking. I think some need to chill and give him a little more time to develop at a position he isn't all that familiar with as well as the cohesiveness and trust in having two players on each side of him. Regardless Ben Roethlisberger has only been sacked 1 time in the past two games.

Steelhere10
10-07-2012, 09:23 PM
I would buy that, but he has been terrible at tackle also. The same thing that plague him there he is doing the same thing now... He holds and false starts nothing new, He just is not that good period.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-07-2012, 09:26 PM
yeah, lets give ole willie a couple more years to get the hang of this pass blocking thing.

what can go wrong?

pittpete
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
o stop the excuses for million $$$$ professional athletes
Colon is an out of shape hog that should spend more time in the weight room instead of the buffet.
Hes been horrid thru 4 games,no excuses.

Dee Dub
10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
yeah, lets give ole willie a couple more years to get the hang of this pass blocking thing.

what can go wrong?

Come on Eddie it's been 4 games at a new position. No one is saying give him years to figure this out.

Dee Dub
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
o stop the excuses for million $$$$ professional athletes
Colon is an out of shape hog that should spend more time in the weight room instead of the buffet.
Hes been horrid thru 4 games,no excuses.

So you see this as an excuse and not the reality of him playing a new position? Interesting.

Chadman
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Strange- Chadman hasn't seen Colon being that much of a problem on the OL. If one player looks to be struggling to Chadman, it looks more like Pouncey- but that could be because he's covering for both Colon & Foster. But to be honest- the OL looks better this year than last, which is improvement, of a sort...

BradshawsHairdresser
10-07-2012, 11:21 PM
You think the OL has been BETTER this year? Wow. I think a change in play-calling has helped to reduce sacks somewhat, but better? Not to this point in the season.

Shoe
10-07-2012, 11:36 PM
So you see this as an excuse and not the reality of him playing a new position? Interesting.

You have to admit that he would get MUCH more slack if he looked in any semblance of shape. No matter what you want to say, being out-of-shape is a STRONG indicator of effort/preparation. Which is not to say that (as an OL) you shouldn't have some ballast to you.

But he is without question well above his listed weight of 315. I would say he is easily upward of 350. And if someone told me he was north of 400 at some point recently, I would believe it.

It's life. You create your own situation. If he's 315, we're NOT having this discussion. We'd be saying much the same thing you said. But he chose to show up morbidly obese, so he must reap all the criticism.

Oviedo
10-08-2012, 07:54 AM
You think the OL has been BETTER this year? Wow. I think a change in play-calling has helped to reduce sacks somewhat, but better? Not to this point in the season.

I agree. Haley is recognizing the problems on the OL and effectively calling plays to help the OL. That was a concept totally lost on Arians.

It appears that we are still two Guards away from having a legitimate OL. DeCastro will solve on problem at RG but unless Colon gets his big backside in gear I'm looking for another OG in next years draft.

SteelCrazy
10-08-2012, 08:08 AM
The only thing he needs to learn is new assignments. Pass blocking is for the most part, the same. Yes, he may need to learn reads and things of that nature, but when it comes to straight up blocking, he is struggling. A DT doesnt pass rush any differently than a DE except they are slower and stronger. He knows who to block, he just cant. Maybe he should approach every pass block as if it were a run block and open up huge holes for the LB's.

steelz09
10-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Seriously? Did you really expect Colon to change positions and be an immediate success? And to do so coming off of back to back injury years? Yes Colon has struggled, but primarily in pass blocking and of course penalties. But he has been darn near dominating in run blocking. I think some need to chill and give him a little more time to develop at a position he isn't all that familiar with as well as the cohesiveness and trust in having two players on each side of him. Regardless Ben Roethlisberger has only been sacked 1 time in the past two games.

Yes, I expected him to play better. In training camp, all you hear is rave reviews about the guy... Did he forget how to play between training camp and now?