PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sending Added Pressure More than Any Team in the League

phillyesq
10-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Saw a stat today that the Steelers are sending added pressure 47.3% of the time, more than any team in the league. Added pressure not defined clearly, but appears to be 5+ rushers.

So much for the theory that the Steelers aren't attacking.

D Rock
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
That's even worse. They are attacking and still can't get there.

pittpete
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe their counting Hampton as 2 guys

lloydroid
10-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Maybe their counting Hampton as 2 guys

:D LOL. It could happen, easily.

flippy
10-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I've had a theory the last several years that the only way to make sure we get pressure is to send Troy and Timmons on the blitz to free up someone or line up Timmons next to Harrison to free someone.

Otherwise, someone has to forget to block someone for us to get a sack.

Jigawatts
10-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Maybe this has something to do with the Bad Word is predictable theory. The blitzes are simply being recognized and picked up.

Steelhere10
10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Sending 4 or 5 at most is not pressure. A 4-3 defense rushes four almost every play. 6 + Is pressure. Watch the games and count how many times 6 are sent especially on 3rd and long. NONE I record every game and count a lot of times on 3rd and long and 6 is never sent rarely 5. Every offense have 5 lineman so rushing 5 is moot. Maybe they count the stats for a 3-4 defense.

Slapstick
10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
The defense still needs the players in coverage to execute their assignments...

NorthCoast
10-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Somewhere at some point I read that the Steelers defense is focused to stop the run and force the pass. In todays NFL isn't that backwards. Shouldn't they play to stop the pass first, then force the run?

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Sending 4 or 5 at most is not pressure. A 4-3 defense rushes four almost every play. 6 + Is pressure. Watch the games and count how many times 6 are sent especially on 3rd and long. NONE I record every game and count a lot of times on 3rd and long and 6 is never sent rarely 5. Every offense have 5 lineman so rushing 5 is moot. Maybe they count the stats for a 3-4 defense.

I agree, you make a great point. sending four isn't really sending added pressure, it still allows the OL to double-team one of the rushers like Woodley.

if we really want to get to the QB sometimes we will need to send one more than they have blocking, which is six.

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
In the NFL, rushing 4 is standard. Rushing 3 or less is focusing on extra coverage rather than pressure. Rushing 5 is a blitz. Rushing 6 or more is an all-out blitz (veteran QB's know how to beat this by throwing to a hot route...unless someone comes completely free and blasts him first). I don't mind rushing 4 roughly half the time and rushing 5 roughly half the time. Not a big fan of 3 or less or 6 or more except for rare instances.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
In the NFL, rushing 4 is standard. Rushing 3 or less is focusing on extra coverage rather than pressure. Rushing 5 is a blitz. Rushing 6 or more is an all-out blitz (veteran QB's know how to beat this by throwing to a hot route...unless someone comes completely free and blasts him first). I don't mind rushing 4 roughly half the time and rushing 5 roughly half the time. Not a big fan of 3 or less or 6 or more except for rare instances.

I prefer rushing 5 as that at least guarantees one on match-ups that can be won unless the offense keeps a RB or TE in to help block which thus takes them out of the passing attack.

Captain Lemming
10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I have said it before. It aint DL. It is a TALENT issue.

We dont have a our two recent DPOY players.

To now imagine DL is suddenly a bum when we suddenly lose our best defensive end (Smith) inside LBer (Farrior), outside lber (Harrison), and Secondary player (Troy), is ridiculous.

AngryAsian
10-05-2012, 02:37 PM
We need a 4-3 allignment and play press coverage. I think that the 3-4 scheme that was so innovative in the 90s and 00s, have been figured out. Today's dink and dunk offenses with surgeons like Rodgers, Brady etc... Seem to have their way with our soft zone spots. Couple that with no-huddle and we pretty much will get owned every time..... Would love to see us eventually transition to a 4-3 and find a new DC to man the helm. If course this means blowing up the D, to a certain extent.... We have defensive players that could transition easily to a 4-3 (Woodley to DE for example) but that means farewell to D!ck LeBeau which would say goodbye pretty much like Hines did. JMHO.

ikestops85
10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Did anyone watch the Rams defensive linemen last night? Did anyone notice how their linemen were beating the guys assigned to block them? They didn't trick anyone. They just beat the guy lined up across from them. Something we have not been able to do. That's not schemes or predictability. That's talent, or in our case a lack thereof. We have to face the fact that either our guys have to improve or we need some new talent.

Getting back Harrison and Troy, no matter how old, is gonna help us.

Slapstick
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Did anyone watch the Rams defensive linemen last night? Did anyone notice how their linemen were beating the guys assigned to block them?

Because they are assigned to beat those players assigned to block them...

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2012, 02:45 PM
it is partially the scheme though, our DL are taught to not just pin their ears back and to rush the passer because they must maintain their gap responsibilities. read this excerpt below:

More of an issue is Ta’amu getting used to the switch from defensive end to nose tackle in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme.

Ta’amu is required to occupy blocks with his wide frame and stay gap-sound rather than use his athleticism to make plays. He found out at minicamp that’s not as easy as it might seem.

“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman,” Ta’amu said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1452321-85/amu-steelers-pounds-pick-senior-camp-college-freshman-issue-round#ixzz28RaLQpkU

ikestops85
10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
it is partially the scheme though, our DL are taught to not just pin their ears back and to rush the passer because they must maintain their gap responsibilities. read this excerpt below:

More of an issue is Ta’amu getting used to the switch from defensive end to nose tackle in the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme.

Ta’amu is required to occupy blocks with his wide frame and stay gap-sound rather than use his athleticism to make plays. He found out at minicamp that’s not as easy as it might seem.

“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman,” Ta’amu said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1452321-85/amu-steelers-pounds-pick-senior-camp-college-freshman-issue-round#ixzz28RaLQpkU

I don't know how much of this I trust since Ta’amu was never a defensive end. He played tackle in college.

Slapstick
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't know how much of this I trust since Ta’amu was never a defensive end. He played tackle in college.

I guess that's an issue with Mark Kaboly, but the Ta'amu quote was probably real...;)

birtikidis
10-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't want a gym class hero on this team. I want sound gap responsibility.

hawaiiansteel
10-07-2012, 03:24 AM
James Harrison: We Have To Pressure Michael Vick

October 5, 2012

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steelers-v-eagles.png?w=300

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The Steelers return, after a week off, to the field again this weekend taking on the Eagles.

The bye week certainly helped the Steelers in the injury department.

The extra time will make it possible for three of their best players to be available this Sunday when the eagles come to Heinz Field – and they’ll need them to avoid a 1-3 start.

Despite building a 3-1 record, the Philadelphia offensive line has been porous for the most part.

Michael Vick has been knocked down an NFL leading 44 times, which is 18 more times than the next most hit quarterback.

The Steelers have not been good at hitting or getting to the quarterback so far this year, but getting James Harrison back should help.

“We have to try and get pressure on him,” Steelers linebacker James Harrison said. “It’s not necessarily sacks, but we have to try and get pressure on him and keep him contained, you know, because once you let him get out of there and start using his legs to make plays, it’s going to be a long road to hoe.”

And clearly the Eagles have won despite some early season turnover problems, as Michael Vick was intercepted six times and fumbled five times in his first three games.

He did not turn the ball over against the Giants last week and the Eagles soared to a win over the defending champs.

That’s another part of what the return of Harrison and Troy Polamalu bring – the threat of forcing turnovers, another missing part of the Steeler defense so far.

“He’s extremely talented as everybody knows,” Troy Palamalu said. “I mean, everything that you guys see and you talk about, you know, we feel all the more.”

Rashard Mendenhall is feeling good after practicing for three weeks, will finally get back into the lineup. After ACL surgery last year, he expects to contribute. No word on how much.

But, clearly, after most people thought their bye week was too early, it turned out to be beneficial for the health of some of their biggest weapons.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/10/05/james-harrison-we-have-to-pressure-michael-vick/