PDA

View Full Version : Ben and Offense in Trouble on Sunday?

NorthCoast
10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Philly is #1 in the NFL in defense for opponent passing % completion at just 52%. Considering passing is currently 80% of our offense, the Steelers may have a very tough time moving the football. Look for a field goal battle.

And before you say Mendenhall will cure all, I predict he will not get more than 10 carries in this game so he won't be able to carry the offense.

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Ben habitually plays poorly vs a good defense. Has he turned the curve? We will see

Ghost
10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Dwyer has his first 100 yard game. We got this!

Mister Pittsburgh
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
We need to turn this into a shootout and go 5 wide (or 3 wide with heath and Rainey going out for routes) - no huddle from the first play till the last.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Steelers plan to attack Eagles’ nickel corner

by F. Dale Lolley
10/4/12

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers believe they might have a sweet matchup when they drop back to pass in Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field.

No, not against three-time Pro Bowl corner Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia’s top cornerback and long considered one of the best coverage men in the NFL.

Nor do they necessarily feel testing Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, who has 16 career interceptions in 65 games – including three this season – is a great idea.

The Steelers (1-2) will be looking for a more advantageous matchup when they host the Eagles ( 3 1) Sunday, namely, whoever is matched up with Philadelphia’s third corner, rookie Brandon Boykin, a fourth-round pick out of Georgia.

“That’s the candy bar,” said Steelers Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown with a sly smile.

Snickers or Milky Way?

“Snickers,” he replied.

At 5-9 and 182 pounds, Boykin doesn’t offer the same physical matchup problems as Asomugha (6-2, 210) and Rodgers-Cromartie (6-2, 182), a pair of physical corners who like to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage.

That can disrupt the timing of an offense and allow the defensive line of the Eagles (3-1) more time to get to the quarterback.

But the Steelers feel like their passing game, which is averaging 284.3 yards per game, matches up with the Eagles well, particularly with Boykin.

Brown leads the Steelers with 18 receptions, while Mike Wallace, another Pro Bowl player, has 17. Tight end Heath Miller is off to the best start of his eight-year career with 15 receptions and four touchdowns in the first three games, while No. 3 receiver Emmanuel Sanders already has 10 catches as well.

“As long as we block stout, (passing) shouldn’t be an issue,” said left tackle Max Starks. “We have a great (core) of receivers that can all get open and make plays. Plus, you add Heath Miller in the middle, and you don’t really have enough guys who can cover. I think it’s going to be a great matchup for us. Outside of Asomugha and Cromartie-Rodgers, their nickel is a rookie. You have some guys who are inexperienced in there. Hopefully, we can get into some sets and be successful in those things.”

Thus far, it’s worked out OK for the Eagles, who rank seventh in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 206.8 yards per game – though that number was somewhat skewed by a 118-yard passing game by Cleveland rookie Brandon Weeden in Week 1, his first career start.

Since then, the Eagles have given up 232 yards and a touchdown to Baltimore’s Joe Flacco, 222 and two scores to Arizona’s Kevin Kolb and 309 yards and two touchdowns to the Giants’ Eli Manning.

The Steelers hope quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is second in the NFL with a 109.2 passer rating, can be the difference, identifying who Boykin is matched up against and taking advantage of it.

“I know he’s a rookie. In these early games – that’s the only thing you can go by – and the film from the preseason, you can see his athletic ability,” said Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery of Boykin. “He’s getting some valuable experience on the inside right now. He has some great guys to learn from.”

The Steelers feel he still has a lot of learning to do.

“ He’s all right,” said Brown. “He’s given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage.”

Odds and end zones

Every active player on the Steelers’ roster participated in practice Wednesday, including offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert, who missed the previous three practices with a groin injury. ... The Steelers have won 26 of their past 32 games against NFC teams.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...teelers-eagles

lloydroid
10-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I feel like we don't usually have a good go vs. Philly. I know we have one a few in recent years, but I also recall Ben getting slobber knockered in Philly a few years back, with Lefty having to come into the game. We also lost to them when they successfully did an on side kick in Pgh. I know we also creamed them in 2000 and ?

virgilbosetti
10-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Screw these Phil-thy punks. Thy won 3 games by a cumulative total of 4pts........they're going down.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I remember Johnny Unitas Vick killing us when he was with the Falcons. Maybe with Harrison back, early in the game we can turn Vapo-Rub upside his head like we did Vince Young, that's still legal, right?, just so he gets a little gun shy for the rest of the game.

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
We need to turn this into a shootout and go 5 wide (or 3 wide with heath and Rainey going out for routes) - no huddle from the first play till the last.

Glad you're not our coach and the defense is too

Mister Pittsburgh
10-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Glad you're not our coach and the defense is too
Same defense that gave up 30+ in a loss to the Raiders? Get a clue and check last weekends full NFL scoreboard and count the games that the winner put up 30+. Welcome to today's NFL. The days of getting a 10 point lead and taking the air out of the ball are over.

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel like we don't usually have a good go vs. Philly. I know we have one a few in recent years, but I also recall Ben getting slobber knockered in Philly a few years back, with Lefty having to come into the game. We also lost to them when they successfully did an on side kick in Pgh. I know we also creamed them in 2000 and ?

Yeah, that was in 08. Ben was sacked 9 times and knocked out of the game. Leftwich came in and we looked like a new team. He consistently beat Jimmy Johnsons blitz and he had to stop blitzing. If Nate doesnt drop that TD pass thrown by Leftwich we have a chance in that game. Another evidence that you dont need a good line, just a good MIND.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk4L4P_Y0Bw

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Same defense that gave up 30+ in a loss to the Raiders? Get a clue and check last weekends full NFL scoreboard and count the games that the winner put up 30+. Welcome to today's NFL. The days of getting a 10 point lead and taking the air out of the ball are over.

Same defense thats been in the top 5 more times than not in the last 10 YEARS. So based on ONE game, I need to get a clue? NO TEAM runs the no huddle all game.

YOU GET A CLUE

virgilbosetti
10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, that was in 08. Ben was sacked 9 times and knocked out of the game. Leftwich came in and we looked like a new team. He consistently beat Jimmy Johnsons blitz and he had to stop blitzing. If Nate doesnt drop that TD pass thrown by Leftwich we have a chance in that game. Another evidence that you dont need a good line, just a good MIND.
Nate said later in an interview that leftwich's delivery threw him off. Abnormal rotation He said if it were from a real Qb.....TD.

Slapstick
10-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Except Ben wasn't sacked nine times in the game...

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Nate said later in an interview that leftwich's delivery threw him off. Abnormal rotation He said if it were from a real Qb.....TD.

Please provide Link

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Except Ben wasn't sacked nine times in the game...

8 times and many turnovers. Semantics. I got confused. The 9 was against the Browns. My bad

virgilbosetti
10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Please provide Link
..........No

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Steelers get ready for hard offensive challenge

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=jaWb_ 6AOvegoO3RKrm$nO8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtlQwCJtyfaFK$ joZWz9fujWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown celebrates after taking a hit for a first down during the fourth quarter against the Jets Sunday September 16, 2012 at Heinz Field.

Career interceptions by Eagles defensive backs: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 16, Nnamdi Asomugha 14, Kurt Coleman 7, Nate Allen 5, Colt Anderson 0, Brandon Boykin 0, Brandon Hughes 0, Curtis Marsh 0, David Sims 0.

Career touchdown catches by Steelers wide receivers: Mike Wallace 27, Jerricho Cotchery 20, Emmanuel Sanders 4, Antonio Brown 3.

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Steelers’ wide receivers are hoping Halloween arrives a little early.

Trick or treat bags in hand, they apparently can’t wait for Eagles rookie nickel back Brandon Boykin to open the candy drawer and start passing out goodies. Especially touchdowns.

With the Steelers’ passing game producing at a record level through three games — Ben Roethlisberger is the NFL’s No. 2-ranked quarterback — wide receivers Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders face a challenging matchup Sunday in Eagles cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Asomugha is 6-foot-2, 210 pounds and, to Wallace, might be the NFL’s best active cornerback now that Darrelle Revis of the Jets is hurt. Rodgers-Cromartie, who already has three interceptions, is 6-2 and 180. Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie use their size to their advantage by pressing receivers at the line of scrimmage.

“They’re really athletic guys,” Wallace said. “They get after it every game, so you’ve got to keep your head on a swivel and just be ready.”

But it is Boykin who appears to offer the best opportunity for targeting by a deep and productive receiving corps. At 5-9, 182, he isn’t as physically imposing as Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie, and the fourth-round pick from Georgia nicknamed “Bam” has played only four NFL games.

Brown is already circling Boykin’s name, memorizing his No. 22.

“I don’t know where ‘The Candy Bar’ came from,” Brown said when asked about his confectionary-sweet description of the rookie.

“They’ve got two Pro Bowl-productive corners, so we’re looking for some opportunities.”

Boykin appears to offer the most tantalizing matchup for Roethlisberger, who averages 301.3 yards per game passing. But since Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie are more likely to cover Wallace and Brown, slot receiver Sanders could draw Boykin.

Sanders seems as confident as Brown that there is yardage to be gained against the Eagles (3-1), no matter how many Pro Bowlers man their secondary.

“He’s a rookie, he’s finding his own, he’s playing football to the best of his ability,” Sanders said of Boykin, not exactly flattering him with praise.

Boykin has been targeted 20 times, allowing nine catches for 103 yards.

“This game is about mismatches, and that’s what it is,” Sanders said. “Right now, honestly, all across the board matchup-wise, Mike can definitely take Nnamdi Asomugha. We definitely could take any one of their corners. It’s all about finding the right matchup for the defensive scheme they’re playing.”

During the Eagles’ 19-17 win Sunday over the Giants, Boykin sometimes lined up against elite receiver Victor Cruz. The result? “The Giants threw the ball to Victor Cruz,” Sanders said.

The more-experienced Wallace isn’t talking as confidently as Brown and Sanders about finding weaknesses in the Eagles’ defense.

“(Boykin) is getting better every week,” Wallace said. “I’ve seen him make some plays on tape, I’ve seen him do well. I think he has some potential. He’s inexperienced, but he’s not going to let us go out there and make plays all over the field. He’s going to be ready to play. But at the same token we’re going to be ready, too.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2719219-85/boykin-brown-sanders-wallace-eagles-asomugha-steelers-cromartie-rodgers-game#ixzz28OX154il

Keyplay1
10-05-2012, 07:28 AM

Yeah, I remember that game. That was a real clunker on the Steelers part. But, as things turned out that ended up being a pretty good year.

steelblood
10-05-2012, 09:46 AM
It isn't about our receivers. It is about our pass protection. Philly has some very talented pass rushers.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Same defense thats been in the top 5 more times than not in the last 10 YEARS. So based on ONE game, I need to get a clue? NO TEAM runs the no huddle all game.

YOU GET A CLUE

How many players are left from that decade long stretch? This defense is nowhere close to the caliber of D we had even 2 or 3 years ago. The old players are older and the players Tomlin has plugged in to try and replace the solid defenders of past years aren't getting the job done. For how many first round picks we have on that DLine and in the LB corp they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all. Vick has been getting his butt kicked on a weekly basis. Let's see how many sacks we get this weekend.

Obviously I was exaggerating going no huddle from play one to the final play. I was simply trying to make the point that we need to run it quite a bit and not let up. The top teams that have weaker defenses put up 30 points most weeks to offset their weak defense.

Slapstick
10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
How many players are left from that decade long stretch? This defense is nowhere close to the caliber of D we had even 2 or 3 years ago. The old players are older and the players Tomlin has plugged in to try and replace the solid defenders of past years aren't getting the job done. For how many first round picks we have on that DLine and in the LB corp they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all. Vick has been getting his butt kicked on a weekly basis. Let's see how many sacks we get this weekend.

Obviously I was exaggerating going no huddle from play one to the final play. I was simply trying to make the point that we need to run it quite a bit and not let up. The top teams that have weaker defenses put up 30 points most weeks to offset their weak defense.

Defense in general is nowhere close to the caliber of D in the NFL from even 2 or 3 years ago...the NFL is scoring points and QBs are recording 5,000 yard passing season like it's going out of style...

Keyplay1
10-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Then again, maybe their #1 52% completion rate and their #3 ranked 6.2 average gain per pass rate is in trouble.

They are #8 giving up 827 yards in 4 games. Oops! Wait a second. Both the Steelers and Indy are ahead of them there but in only 3 games. Okay, they are #7 in yds per game giving up 206.8. The Steelers are still ahead of them at #3 giving up 190.3 per game. That of course is very good and the Eagles have improved over last year.

Regardless, this should be a good test for the Steelers.

I was looking forward to seeing how young money stacked up against those highly touted CB's. Frankly, I always figured that Asomugha ? was overrated. When he was with the Raiders he was always ranked at or near the top. Last year it was hard to find his name on the list. [47] My guess is they actually threw the ball his way now. He had some tackling problems last year also.

Oops! Wrong about that 47. That is this year. Last year he was at 52.

Djfan
10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Defense in general is nowhere close to the caliber of D in the NFL from even 2 or 3 years ago...the NFL is scoring points and QBs are recording 5,000 yard passing season like it's going out of style...

Welcome to today's NFL. The days of getting a 10 point lead and taking the air out of the ball are over.

This is why it's hard to watch the NFL anymore. Sorry, but I love the hard hitting game of MEN. If I wanted to watch the arena league, I would.

The replacements, and all the other issues suck, but the rules that make defense worthless more and more are killing it for me.

Glad hunting season is here.

stopplayn
10-05-2012, 12:36 PM

What are you basing "this defense" on? The fact that they had THREE players missing? Three TOP players? So if Ben, Wallace and Mendenhall are missing and the offense scores 3 points dont they get a pass? Of course not

stopplayn
10-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Vick ate up Lebeau when COWHER was there WITH those Defensive players present that you love. Next excuse?

Keyplay1
10-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Anybody notice all that trash talking in that article posted by hawaiiansteel.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Anybody notice all that trash talking in that article posted by hawaiiansteel.

Boykin not getting riled by Steeler's taunts

Posted: Fri, Oct. 5, 2012
BY FRANK SERAVALLI
Daily News Staff Writer

STEELERS Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown said it on Wednesday and Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin's phone blew up.

Brown apparently thinks the rookie nickelback Boykin will be a tasty treat on Sunday.

"That's the candy bar," Brown told the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, a small suburban Pittsburgh newspaper. "He's given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage."

So, is Boykin more like a Mr. Goodbar? Or Heath Bar? Or Nestle Crunch? After all, Boykin would not be the first professional athlete with a candy bar named after him - he can thank Babe Ruth for that.

"That's funny to me," Boykin said, after calming down his bothered older brother, Alfred Jr. "For someone to call me out, I guess that means they taking notice of my play, that they want to go after me. I want that. I welcome that challenge. If they want to come at me, I'm going to continue to get that work."

Defensive coordinator Juan Castillo said Thursday that it is natural for opposing teams to target Boykin. For one, he's a rookie. The fourth-round pick never before lined up against the caliber of receivers - such as Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz and Anquan Boldin - he has over the last 3 weeks.

More important, the options are limited. With Pro Bowlers Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on either side of him, going after Boykin makes sense.

So far, the results have been mixed. He was strong against Baltimore and Cleveland, but exploited in Arizona and against the Giants.

Boykin, 22, has been on the field for 54 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps. In the slot, Boykin has been targeted 22 times, 11 of which were catches - nine of them coming in the previous two games.

Fitzgerald netted 53 yards against him, including 33 yards after the catch. Cruz posted 48 yards and one touchdown. The Giants' Eli Manning and Cardinals' Kevin Kolb averaged a 114.15 passer rating on balls thrown towards Boykin.

"I've guarded three Pro Bowl receivers the past couple weeks and we're doing pretty good as a secondary," Boykin said. "We're 3-1. We're just going to continue to do what we've been doing, let all that talking stuff happen.

"I felt like I've done pretty good. I've definitely got a lot of things I can improve on. I'm just trying to fight each and every week."

Brown might not be the only one to face Boykin, as the Steelers could try to push fellow Pro Bowler Mike Wallace to the slot for an advantage. Wallace has racked up 234 yards in three games this season.

For cornerbacks such as Boykin, Andy Reid reminded on Wednesday to cover until the play is completely dead, something essential when facing Ben Roethlisberger. He is tough to bring down and can keep plays alive longer than most NFL quarterbacks.

Castillo praised Boykin's work ethic. With the help of playing inside at the University of Georgia, Boykin has transitioned to the NFL with ease, compared with how long DRC needed to adjust to life in the slot last season.

"He's in here every morning at 7:30 a.m. studying," Castillo said. "I met his parents this past weekend. I can see why he's the individual that he is. Besides being a talented young man, he's very confident; he works hard. Those are the qualities that he has, and it's not his fault it's his first year in the NFL."

Linebacker DeMeco Ryans wasn't surprised about Brown's chatter, but said the "real talking happens on game days."

"Talk is talk," Trent Cole said. "If I was him, I'd love to have that challenge. I'd love to have someone say that. When it comes down to that moment, it doesn't matter who's better or who has the better contract. It comes down to who plays better on that night. Let your actions speak louder."

For Boykin, that's the plan. He graduated from Georgia with a journalism degree. With rampant and instant social media, he knew better than to give Brown and the Steelers any ammunition.

At the very least, he's got a solid nickname to follow him throughout his NFL career - as long as it doesn't define him.

"Of course they're going to test me out," Boykin said. "I expect that every week. This will be no different. Just because he said something in the media, it's not going to intimidate me."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121004_Boykin_not_getting_riled_by_Steelers_taun ts.html#ixzz28RjJZ7jF

Keyplay1
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Hmm! So they can read in Igglesville after all.:ol

Bopping around Stiller boards here and there lottsa Stiller fans think this stuff was better unsaid.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
What are you basing "this defense" on? The fact that they had THREE players missing? Three TOP players? So if Ben, Wallace and Mendenhall are missing and the offense scores 3 points dont they get a pass? Of course not

We aRe getting a James Harrison that hasn't taken a snap since the Denver playoff loss and a Troy Polumalu that is nowhere near the player he used to be back. I hate to say it because I loved both these Steeler hero's as much as the next fan, but at this point they are ghosts of what they were.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Hmm! So they can read in Igglesville after all.:ol

Bopping around Stiller boards here and there lottsa Stiller fans think this stuff was better unsaid.

I'm not sure how giving the Iggles bulletin board material and revealing our offensive game plan to them is helpful to us winning this Sunday...

hawaiiansteel
10-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Usually not interested in stats, Ben Roethlisberger can't wait to reach this obscure milestone

by Mark Kaboly

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has always been a guy who doesn't much care about stats or milestones.

They just don't interest him as much as winning.

However, Roethlisberger is sort of obsessed with an approaching milestone, and it's not the milestone of becoming the Steelers all-time leader in passing yards.

"I know I am only a couple yards away from rushing for 1,000 yards. That's a little cooler to me," Roethlisberger said

With 44 yards rushing, Roethlisberger will become the 43rd quarterback in NFL history to surpass 1,000 rushing yards.

Roethlisberger has 956 yards and need 13 to pass Neil Lomax, 44 to reach 1,000 and 47 to pass Fran Tarkenton.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/23e4ff71-ddde-4ae0-9f78-e468d6d8a809/?source=twitter