PDA

View Full Version : can we stop using the term 'splash' play?

squidkid
10-01-2012, 05:03 PM
a new coach comes in a makes up some idiotic phrase and soon to follow the fans are using it when describing a big play.
why?

D Rock
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Why?

Because Mike Tomlin is cool. He must play fantasy football.

feltdizz
10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
We need some splash post up in this piece...

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I love splash plays...

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/1723646-851102-woman-in-swimming-pool-play-with-water-splash.jpg

SteelCrazy
10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
we can start calling them "lucky" plays

virgilbosetti
10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Have to come up with something in some "form or fashion". After all...."the standard is the standard".

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Have to come up with something in some "form or fashion". After all...."the standard is the standard".

we will unleash hell in October...

buccoray61
10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
When the rubber meets the road!

SidSmythe
10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
We need some splash post up in this piece...

Seriously.... :D

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
"at this juncture, it is what it is. we accept that..."

D Rock
10-01-2012, 06:51 PM
"at this juncture, it is what it is. we accept that..."

and we acknowledge that the other team executed better

steelz09
10-01-2012, 06:56 PM

and the standard is the standard...

another stupid Tomlinism

buccoray61
10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
"I think the people that know and compete in this league understand that there is a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes. Obviously, last weekend we were grape-squashers

Ok I'll stop now,I was bored.:D

DukieBoy
10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Obvious that there are some elite fans posting on this thread.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 07:18 PM

"we set the bar high around here, and we embrace that. such is life in the National Football League, if you will..."

Slapstick
10-01-2012, 08:20 PM
About Josh Cribbs:

...we've been dead indians in his cowboy movie enough.

Snatch98
10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
a new coach comes in a makes up some idiotic phrase and soon to follow the fans are using it when describing a big play.
why?

What's the issue? Honestly it's not a term unique to Mike Tomlin. I've heard it on the regular since starting organized sports when i was like 5 years old. Strange thread is strange.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
"I personally don't subscribe to that hocus pocus, each individual performance stands on its own. We're not buying into that or things of that nature.

it's a war of attrition, and we look forward to the opportunity presented to us this weekend. most of the time, the most physical team has a chance to win, that is not a reality we shy away from."

NorthCoast
10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
For the defense, the plays haven't splashed as much as they have 'kerplunked'.

fordfixer
10-01-2012, 10:49 PM
For the defense, the plays haven't splashed as much as they have 'kerplunked'.
They have had a hard time defending every blade of grass :-)

NJ-STEELER
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
we need some more spittin

and choking AFCCs at home

Yaaaaaarrrrrrr

papillon
10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
They have had a hard time defending every blade of grass :-)

They are struggling to defend any one blade of grass, let alone every blade of grass. :p

Pappy

papillon
10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
This thread is below the line.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2012, 02:38 AM
"Quite frankly, when it comes to wins you can throw style points out the window. this is classic AFC North warfare, big men on blades of grass. the most violent team is going to win..."

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2010/09/whacha.jpg?09bbad

flippy
10-02-2012, 06:33 AM
I think the people that know and post on this board understand that there is a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes. Obviously, last weekend we were grape-squashers.

Ghost
10-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Let me tell everyone; you win as a team, you lose as a team. In this next game the intangibles will be the key. All they have to do is go out and take care of business. They have to dig deep. They have to crank it up. They have to pull out all the stops. They have to circle the wagons. We've still got plenty of football left.

Eich
10-02-2012, 08:32 AM
In a high-pitched, squealy voice, "What’s that? Ah — Splash Plays? Don’t talk about — Splash Plays? You kidding me? Splash Plays? I just hope we can win a game! Another game !! "

feltdizz
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I love splash plays...

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/1723646-851102-woman-in-swimming-pool-play-with-water-splash.jpg

now this is a splash post...

squidkid
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
What's the issue? Honestly it's not a term unique to Mike Tomlin. I've heard it on the regular since starting organized sports when i was like 5 years old. Strange thread is strange.

well, ive never heard it before and ive been around sports for 35+ years.
i just think that it is funny how fans embrace something made up like this just because they are fans of a team or coach.
i can only imagine how many 'fans' would be saying 'We havent made many jammykazookieboolahlah plays lately', just because tomlin made it up.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
i just think that it is funny how fans embrace something made up like this just because they are fans of a team or coach.
i can only imagine how many 'fans' would be saying 'We havent made many jammykazookieboolahlah plays lately', just because tomlin made it up.

Some coach coined the term "blitz", some coach coined the term "shotgun formation", some coach coined the term "nickel defense", etc. We should stop using all of these terms because some random coach just made them up at one point.

Oviedo
10-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Mike Tomlin didn't invent it. I've heard it before I ever heard of Mike Tomlin but some will take any opportunity to find a way to criticize him.

ikestops85
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Criticizing Tomlin for his sayings is like criticizing Cowher for his spittle.

DON'T DO IT!!

The guy is a helluva good coach and his record attests to that fact. The same with Cowher. The same with Noll.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Chris Rainey and the Steelers' special teams haven't been making any "splash plays" :(

Special teams slipping for Steelers

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=oSSAF Dern6ZnJh0o1herNM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuDPigTt1KQ39O lZTD1i62GWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers' Chris Rainey showed big-play ability on returns during the preseason but hasn't done much in the first three regular-season games.

Nearly six weeks since taking the unusual step of firing their special teams coordinator only two weeks before they opened the season, the Steelers are getting below-the-line play from their special teams.

They aren’t defending kicks well, aren’t returning them for any great distance and, except for kicker Shaun Suisham, are worse than average in almost every statistical category.

That’s not necessarily a reflection on Amos Jones, the former assistant special teams coordinator who was moved up when Al Everest was let go in late August. But it illustrates how the Steelers have yet to solve a problem that surfaces almost every season, much like the constant shuffling that occurs along the offensive line on a near-annual basis.

Asked about his special teams’ performance to date, coach Mike Tomlin said, “We’re 1-2, and the special teams are, as well.”

Suisham has made all five of his field-goal attempts, but the kicking game has become so good in the NFL that such a level of performance is expected, not a surprise. Nearly half of the league’s kickers have yet to miss, most with more attempts than Suisham, and only seven kickers have missed as many as twice.

Rookie punter Drew Butler’s 41.4 average is the NFL’s second-lowest, although his 38.4 net ranks 19th, and he has five punts inside the 20. Coaches often judge punters more by their ability to put the ball down close to the goal line than they do their overall average.

Antonio Brown averages a Pro Bowl-level 11 yards on five punt returns. But the Steelers’ 23.2 average on kickoff returns is only 24th, and their opponents are averaging a healthy 33.2 yards, second-highest in the league.

While the Steelers haven’t had a kickoff return longer than 27 yards, their opponents have five of 26 yards or longer, topped by Mike Goodson’s 51-yarder for Oakland.

“One of most important things you see when you have breakout runs is people not staying within their job or in their lanes,” cornerback Cortez Allen said. “You’ve got to keep contain. That’s within the defense, too; you have to stay true to what your assignment is.”

The kick-coverage units could be helped by the return of linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, who missed the first three games with a knee injury.

What the Steelers are missing is a game-changing element in their kicking game, one that Brown could provide if he starts breaking off some long returns. Chris Rainey also showed during the preseason that he can be a threat, but he has returned only one punt so far.

Brown is fielding any punts that might land close to the goal line, most likely so Rainey doesn’t make a mistake that could lead to a critical turnover.

“That’s the same as the regular offense,” said Rainey, who also isn’t carrying the ball in such situations. “If anything happens, I just have to be ready for it, that’s all. I have to stay ready.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2718004-85/steelers-special-teams-average-rainey-returns-yards-brown-coordinator-game#ixzz28JO14YM8