PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Saunders to Return after Week 5

hawaiiansteel
09-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Steelers’ Saunders to Return after Week 5

by SteelBlitz

When Weslye Saunders was handed his fine it was stated as a four week suspension for a positive drug test. Following the positive test the general consensus was that Saunders would be available following week 4 and would only miss 3 games due to the bye week for the Steelers in week 4. The NFL has now contacted the Steelers and Saunders and let them know that he will not be allowed to return until week 6 of the season.

It is believed that Saunders positive testing came from using Adderall to combat ADD. Adderall is an approved drug in the NFL, but a player using it must have notified the NFL of their use. Saunders had not notified the NFL and has been suspended for the positive test. He is not the only player to have served a suspension for testing positive for taking Adderall. One other player who had been suspended for using the drug won an appeal to have his suspension overturned; Saunders was not as lucky.

During the off-season Saunders fought the suspension without much luck. He will return to the team for their week 6 match-up in Tennessee on Thursday Night Football. His status on the team currently is on the suspended list which means he does not count against the 53-man roster. It is believed that when he is added to the roster that back-up tight end David Paulson will be cut and that the Steelers will try to sign him to their practice squad.

Saunders is more of a pass catching tight end and will provide one more weapon in the passing game for Ben Roethlisberger, who is already off to a career year passing the ball. The Steelers will also hope that Saunders blocking skills at tight end may help some in the running game.

Per NFL rules players serving a suspension are unpaid. Therefore Saunders will miss paychecks during each week of his suspension. He should, however, only have to lose 4 paychecks as the extra week (due to the bye week) should not affect his pay. Other players serving suspensions will only miss four weeks of the season and will be eligible for their teams in week 5.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_saunders_to_return_after_week_5/11836369

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 12:23 AM
The former undrafted free agent posted Thursday on Twitter that he still has to sit out one more game to satisfy his four game suspension for testing positive for the banned drug Adderall.

Weslye Saunders

@Wes_Saunders88:
1 game left of this 4 game suspension. Minor setback for a major comeback. instagr.am/p/QDuId9tDgf/
26 Sep 12

The original thought was that Saunders would only miss four game checks, but now we know that four games means four games and not four weeks.

Oviedo
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I think Saunders could have a very good season when he gets back. he could make Miller even more valuable by forcing defenses to account for another quality TE, especially in the Red Zone.

SidSmythe
10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I hit him for my first time on Madden for the go ahead TD the other day. Gotta get him more involved!! :tt1

phillyesq
10-01-2012, 09:46 AM
It will be interesting to see who is the odd man out when Saunders returns. The Steelers coaching staff was noted to be high on Paulson, so I wonder if it will be Pope (assuming that Saunders is retained).

Saunders has some raw ability, but really needs to show some more consistency. It would be nice to see him develop as another weapon for Ben, but I'd be happy if he can develop into a solid and reliable #2 TE.

Oviedo
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
It will be interesting to see who is the odd man out when Saunders returns. The Steelers coaching staff was noted to be high on Paulson, so I wonder if it will be Pope (assuming that Saunders is retained).

Saunders has some raw ability, but really needs to show some more consistency. It would be nice to see him develop as another weapon for Ben, but I'd be happy if he can develop into a solid and reliable #2 TE.

Reliable #2 in the short term, but lets not forget that Heath is getting up there in age. I'd like us to grab a young stud TE like Gronkowski or Jimmy Grahm in the next draft. However I suspect that fixing our defense will be the priority of the next draft.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM
It sucks that he will be available to return a week from today (the Monday after the Eagle game) and then he will have very little time to prepare for his first game that Thursday at against Tennessee. I would have much rather have had a week 5 bye leading up to the Thursday night game instead of having a 2 week break, then cramming the next 2 games in 5 days.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Reliable #2 in the short term, but lets not forget that Heath is getting up there in age. I'd like us to grab a young stud TE like Gronkowski or Jimmy Grahm in the next draft. However I suspect that fixing our defense will be the priority of the next draft.

The best TE prospect to come out next year is probably Eifert from Notre Dame, and he is not a dynamic Gronk-Graham like freak (few are).

phillyesq
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
It sucks that he will be available to return a week from today (the Monday after the Eagle game) and then he will have very little time to prepare for his first game that Thursday at against Tennessee. I would have much rather have had a week 5 bye leading up to the Thursday night game instead of having a 2 week break, then cramming the next 2 games in 5 days.

Yeah, I agree. I wonder if the thinking from the NFL was that a bye before a Thursday game (giving you 11 days off instead of the 2 weeks) wasn't really a bye?

Keyplay1
10-01-2012, 12:13 PM
He says, "One other player who had been suspended for using the drug won an appeal to have his suspension overturned; Saunders was not as lucky."

How could anyone possibly have thought anything else regarding the 4 game suspension. However, that is not the issue here. What seems to be significant is the loss of 4 game pay checks. This sounds like an awfully huge penalty to me for something which sounds about as serious as taking a freaking aspirin. Somebody should start investigating those league offices and start suspending those idiots. Cost them a couple months pay checks.

Also who is this other player whose suspension was overturned? How so? Why?

He also says "Other players serving suspensions will only miss four weeks of the season and will be eligible for their teams in week 5."

Uhh! Not really. They will also miss 4 games and be eligible for their teams game 5 same as any player from Pittsburgh or Indy.

Uhh! Actually Saunders has had 5 weeks to prepare for TEN now, thanks to the bye week.:eek:

Not sure what the article is saying, if anything. It seems to infer that the penalty for this offense is extremely severe.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I agree. I wonder if the thinking from the NFL was that a bye before a Thursday game (giving you 11 days off instead of the 2 weeks) wasn't really a bye?

Well, that would give you a week-and-a-half prior to the Thursday game and a week-and-a-half after the Thursday game, which in my mind is much better than two weeks off between games, then only 3 days off between games. I would propose that since all 32 teams are given a bye week, and all 32 teams are featured on TNF once per season, that the bye should be mandated to occur the week before the Thursday game (the health and safety conscious league office should see that this is much better than not giving bodies sufficient time to rest during the Sunday-to-Thursday extreme turnaround).

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2012, 01:23 PM
He says, "One other player who had been suspended for using the drug won an appeal to have his suspension overturned; Saunders was not as lucky."

How could anyone possibly have thought anything else regarding the 4 game suspension. However, that is not the issue here. What seems to be significant is the loss of 4 game pay checks. This sounds like an awfully huge penalty to me for something which sounds about as serious as taking a freaking aspirin. Somebody should start investigating those league offices and start suspending those idiots. Cost them a couple months pay checks.

Also who is this other player whose suspension was overturned? How so? Why?

He also says "Other players serving suspensions will only miss four weeks of the season and will be eligible for their teams in week 5."

Uhh! Not really. They will also miss 4 games and be eligible for their teams game 5 same as any player from Pittsburgh or Indy.

Uhh! Actually Saunders has had 5 weeks to prepare for TEN now, thanks to the bye week.:eek:

Not sure what the article is saying, if anything. It seems to infer that the penalty for this offense is extremely severe.

Giants RB Andre Brown successfully appealed his 4 game suspension for Adderall. Others have tried to appeal it (such as Joe Haden, Mike Neal, Tyler Sash) to no avail.

I think the big thing with the bye landing after game 3 for us would be that even though Saunders misses 4 games like everyone else, he misses 5 weeks of practice.

BigRob
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Giants RB Andre Brown successfully appealed his 4 game suspension for Adderall. Others have tried to appeal it (such as Joe Haden, Mike Neal, Tyler Sash) to no avail.

Andre Brown was the only one that was actually prescribed it by a doctor. These other players were taking Adderall that was not prescibed to them... i.e. they were abusing it as a stimulant.

Little known fact, Adderall is basically pharmacy grade meth. If you are not ADHD, it has the same effects on a person that meth would. Think about that for a minute.

Keyplay1
10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
The article said: "Adderall is an approved drug in the NFL, but a player using it must have notified the NFL of their use."

Big Rob said: "Little known fact, Adderall is basically pharmacy grade meth. If you are not ADHD, it has the same effects on a person that meth would. Think about that for a minute.

Big Rob is usually correct so I would tend to agree with him. But what is puzzling is if this stuff is approved by the league, then this severe penalty was only dished out because Saunders did not notify them prior to its use. 4 game suspension for taking something legal. ??

I am taking this as just more evidence that there are a lot of really unqualified people making some important decisions on important matters. This issue sounds like something that a lot of medical know how would be involved. I'm guessing that these policies and ruling are being made by ex-jocks with out consulting expert advice. Same thing with the legal stuff like the bounty fiasco. But, it is their league and so I guess anything goes.

lloydroid
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I think Saunders could have a very good season when he gets back. he could make Miller even more valuable by forcing defenses to account for another quality TE, especially in the Red Zone.

I don't see it. A #2 TE has enough trouble seeing more than 1 ball a game as it is. A #2 TE
coming off over a month with no practices, etc. has almost no chance of making an impact.
I highly doubt he will contribute much of anything for several games, if ever this year.

Oviedo
10-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't see it. A #2 TE has enough trouble seeing more than 1 ball a game as it is. A #2 TE
coming off over a month with no practices, etc. has almost no chance of making an impact.
I highly doubt he will contribute much of anything for several games, if ever this year.

I specifically mentioned in the Red Zone not part of the base offense which will rarely have more than one TE.

lloydroid
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I specifically mentioned in the Red Zone not part of the base offense which will rarely have more than one TE.

I still don't see it. Maybe like 1-2 plays in a few game spread. I don't see WS contributing much this season, considering the circumstances.

phillyesq
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, that would give you a week-and-a-half prior to the Thursday game and a week-and-a-half after the Thursday game, which in my mind is much better than two weeks off between games, then only 3 days off between games. I would propose that since all 32 teams are given a bye week, and all 32 teams are featured on TNF once per season, that the bye should be mandated to occur the week before the Thursday game (the health and safety conscious league office should see that this is much better than not giving bodies sufficient time to rest during the Sunday-to-Thursday extreme turnaround).

That type of arrangement would make a lot of sense, but leaves a difficult in accounting for teams that play a really early or really late TNF game. I wonder if there is something in the CBA specifying that the bye must give you a certain amount of time off. Otherwise, I can't see why the NFL wouldn't at least consider this.

steelblood
10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Pope is a good person and a terrible blocker. A turd in cleats wouldn't fall off it's man so much. Dude needs a medic alert necklace from spending so much time falling down.

NorthCoast
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
The article said: "Adderall is an approved drug in the NFL, but a player using it must have notified the NFL of their use."

Big Rob said: "Little known fact, Adderall is basically pharmacy grade meth. If you are not ADHD, it has the same effects on a person that meth would. Think about that for a minute.

Big Rob is usually correct so I would tend to agree with him. But what is puzzling is if this stuff is approved by the league, then this severe penalty was only dished out because Saunders did not notify them prior to its use. 4 game suspension for taking something legal. ??

I am taking this as just more evidence that there are a lot of really unqualified people making some important decisions on important matters. This issue sounds like something that a lot of medical know how would be involved. I'm guessing that these policies and ruling are being made by ex-jocks with out consulting expert advice. Same thing with the legal stuff like the bounty fiasco. But, it is their league and so I guess anything goes.

Using prescription drugs when you don't have a prescription is not a legal use of a drug.

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Saunders is a better athlete than Heath. Much faster. Heath Has better hands and better blocker (although Heath is not great). Heath needs to start jumping during his yac. Guys always go low, I fear he will get a knee injury. JUMP HEATH JUMP

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Heath needs to start jumping during his yac. Guys always go low, I fear he will get a knee injury. JUMP HEATH JUMP

http://cdn-6.nflximg.com/images/4365/1044365.jpg

stopplayn
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Heath can jump, stop that

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Heath can jump, stop that

not bad for a white man...:D

http://c9900913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/03-15-19_heath-miller_original.jpg

hawaiiansteel
10-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Weslye Saunders' return from suspension means a cut is coming

By Neal Coolong on Oct 8

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/929995/20120819_jla_al8_348.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Saunders is the team's second tight end, it's highly likely either Leonard Pope or David Paulson will be released.

The image I have is second-year tight end Weslye Saunders stalking around the entrance of the South Side facility like a caged animal. He's more than ready to break his league-imposed vow of silence with the team, and re-join his team in the short week of work before taking on the Titans in Week 6 Thursday.

Roughly around the same time the building opens, they are likely to announce the release of a player to make room for Saunders on their active roster. (Update: Post-Gazette reporter Ed Bouchette noted the Steelers are able to request a roster exception this week, meaning, Saunders can be activated and can play in Thursday night's game, but they will not have to release a player to do that. He doesn't explain why they're able to make the request, or if they even did, but if they're able to, they certainly would have.)

The decision seems far less dramatic than that, however. The fact rookie David Paulson, and not Leonard Pope, served as the team's No. 2 tight end in a 16-14 victory over Philadelphia in Week 5 speaks for the situation.

Pope's release four games into the 2012 season seems imminent, making Paulson - the fourth 7th round draft pick to make the Steelers active roster since 2009 - a permanent member of the team.

And he did it with grit. Cutting his teeth on special teams, Paulson got his first career catch in Week 5, an eight-yard completion on 1st-and-20, the first positive play on the Steelers' nine-play, 51 yard drive that resulted in Shaun Suisham's game-winning field goal.

It seems un-Steeler-like to back up veteran Heath Miller (who went his first game without a touchdown reception in Week 5) with a second-year player and a rookie, but Pope hadn't exactly shown the kind of solid play expected from a veteran. He wasn't wretched, but Paulson showed his athleticism - a category in which the rookie leads by a healthy margin - on his reception, and has continued to grow with each passing game.

If anything, maybe Saunders should be worried about Paulson's development. As for the here and now, expect the Steelers to announce Pope's release whenever they will need to trim the roster.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/8/3472642/steelers-roster-weslye-saunders-suspension-week-6-return-leonard-pope-david-paulson-released

Sugar
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm looking forward to Saunders contribution. Another athletic weapon- and a BIG one at that, could make life a nightmare for opposing D's.