PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ run game off to worst start in 62 years

fordfixer
09-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Steelers’ run game off to worst start in 62 years

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2661707-85/yards-steelers-redman-running-game-run-games-mendenhall-rushing-haley#axzz27dt29vth

By Alan Robinson

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012,

Isaac Redman started the first three games, but he understands changes are needed in what is becoming an historically bad Steelers running game.

Redman concedes former 1,000-yard rusher Rashard Mendenhall will regain his starting job as soon as he is healthy and ready to play, and all signs point to that being when the Steelers return Monday from their weekend off.

“We’re looking for him to come in and be the feature guy,” Redman said Thursday.

Time for a change? Even Ben Roethlisberger’s exceptional passing statistics can’t cover up that the Steelers haven’t been this one-dimensional since they were running an offense most teams gave up on in the 1940s.

With 195 yards rushing and a 2.64-yards-per-carry average, the running game is off to its worst start in 62 years — or since the Steelers were the last NFL team still using the single-wing offense. For comparison’s sake, the Chiefs have run for 575 yards.

And they didn’t call it the wildcat back in 1950, when the Steelers gained only 189 yards in the first three games of what became a 6-6 season.

“We’ve got talented receivers, we’ve got a Superman at quarterback, and it’s easy to say that the pass is doing better,” left guard Willie Colon said. “To kind of sum it all up, we’ve got to put in more work.”

During the offseason, general manager Kevin Colbert said the team couldn’t count on Mendenhall in 2012, not after he tore the ACL in his right knee Jan. 1 in Cleveland. Then again, Colbert probably didn’t count on not having a running back capable of gaining even 75 yards in three games.

Redman’s 72 yards (on 32 carries) lead an offense that not long ago figured on Willie Parker or Jerome Bettis gaining that many yards by the end of the third quarter. Jonathan Dwyer (70 yards) is the only other running back with more than 15 yards rushing.

Still, offensive coordinator Todd Haley said the Steelers (1-2) must ease in Mendenhall, who didn’t resume practicing until Labor Day.

“To get another difference-maker back hopefully will be a big deal for us,” Haley said.

Redman and Dwyer are inside runners, while Mendenhall is a turn-the-corner back capable of breaking the big run the Steelers are lacking. Their longest run is a 13-yarder by Redman.

“But I don’t think (the running game) is too much different than it’s been,” Mendenhall said. “It might be perceived that we’re struggling, and it’s not the case. It’s a different offense, we’ve got some different guys, and we’re trying to figure out how to put it together.”

The blocking isn’t totally to blame; Haley gave All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey an unusually high grade after the 34-31 loss Sunday in Oakland. But Colon acknowledged he’s still making the transition from right tackle to left guard, especially while run blocking.

“One thing I’ve learned in the three games I’ve been playing at my position is a lot of what I do makes runs go, as far as pulling and clearing holes,” Colon said. “I personally haven’t been efficient with that. I’m trying my best and working my tail off. There are a lot of blocks that I see, if I were to be more detailed in my work and better at what I do, maybe our run average would be better.”

Roethlisberger has compensated for the absence of a running game by throwing 120 times for 904 yards, eight touchdowns and one interception, by far the most attempts for a Steelers quarterback this early in a season.

Even Joe Gilliam had fewer attempts (112) in 1974, when he threw so often while calling his own plays that it finally led coach Chuck Noll to bench him for Terry Bradshaw.

“I feel good about the guys up front and feel good about the guys carrying the ball,” Haley said. “You will see the run game come along — and it needs to.”

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at arobinson@tribweb.com.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2661707-85/yards-steelers-redman-running-game-run-games-mendenhall-rushing-haley#ixzz27dtEINaO
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 08:08 AM
So much for "just wait and see what Redman does," we saw and it was found lacking. Mendenhall is the only legit #1 RB we have. Everyone else is a role player right now.

I'm glad Colon know what he is doing wrong but after just three games at the position I still think he has a high ceiling there. He needs to speed up the learning curve.

rockonsteel
09-27-2012, 09:30 AM
“But I don’t think (the running game) is too much different than it’s been,” Mendenhall said. “It might be perceived that we’re struggling, and it’s not the case. It’s a different offense, we’ve got some different guys, and we’re trying to figure out how to put it together.”

I wanna know what hell Rashard Mendenhall is smoking, how much it costs per ounce and who I need to call to get some. Is he serious? Perceived to be struggling? That's like saying a whale is perceived to be a large animal. It's one thing to back your teammates, but that statement is asinine. This running game is embarassing. I'm not sure if RM is the fix to the problem, but I hope so. But that smacks of classic denial to me. And you can't fix a problem, if you deny it exists.

Rockon

Eich
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
So much for "just wait and see what Redman does," we saw and it was found lacking. Mendenhall is the only legit #1 RB we have. Everyone else is a role player right now.

I'm glad Colon know what he is doing wrong but after just three games at the position I still think he has a high ceiling there. He needs to speed up the learning curve.

I will be glad to be wrong. But I don't see Mendenhall as the savior in this. We've seen him for years - at times looking good, and at times dancing and spinning for little gain. If Mendy had been 100% at the start of this season, I don't think he would've done much better (if at all).

The line is different this year and the offense is different this year. Redman is better than his average so far this year shows. It'll take some time to jell.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
The offensive line is the issue. Having DeCastro injured was about the worst thing that could of happened for our running game. We really needed to address the offensive line in free agency due to our inability to draft starting caliber OL unless they are first round picks. We have no money to sign a quality free agent though as we have had to re-sign old defensive free agents to contracts rather than have young players that are cheap to plug into the starting lineup, due to the same inability to draft any starting caliber players outside the first round and also the mandatory sitting period to learn Lebeau's defense.

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I will be glad to be wrong. But I don't see Mendenhall as the savior in this. We've seen him for years - at times looking good, and at times dancing and spinning for little gain. If Mendy had been 100% at the start of this season, I don't think he would've done much better (if at all).

The line is different this year and the offense is different this year. Redman is better than his average so far this year shows. It'll take some time to jell.

Redman had a couple flashes last game and maybe when he returns to the back up role he should be in he will be able to do that more as a change of pace. Mendy won't be the savior early on this season until he gets into game shape but he is a more complete back and I think he is perfect for Haley's offense and the emphasis on getting the ball to RBs on short passes.

As others have said until we fix the OL it will be hard for any RB.

pfelix73
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
The offensive line is the issue. Having DeCastro injured was about the worst thing that could of happened for our running game. We really needed to address the offensive line in free agency due to our inability to draft starting caliber OL unless they are first round picks. We have no money to sign a quality free agent though as we have had to re-sign old defensive free agents to contracts rather than have young players that are cheap to plug into the starting lineup, due to the same inability to draft any starting caliber players outside the first round and also the mandatory sitting period to learn Lebeau's defense.

Disagree with you 110% on the 1st part of your post. DeCastro is one player (rook at that) among 5 OL. And to honest? Foster and DeCastro were pretty much 1 and 1A in camp. There is no huge drop off from DeCastro to Foster, so your idea of the OL to blame is just rubbish. You put a LeSean McCoy or Ray Rice on this team, they will still pick up the yardage and 1st downs...regardless..

Now, I do agree with your idea about addressing it in FA. If they could've released some $ and signed say a Ben Grubbs, then they could've used that 1st round pick on defense. We need more play-makers on defense. A lot of those guys come from the 1st few rounds, unless you really luck out on a round 5-type guy....rare..

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Disagree with you 110% on the 1st part of your post. DeCastro is one player (rook at that) among 5 OL. And to honest? Foster and DeCastro were pretty much 1 and 1A in camp. There is no huge drop off from DeCastro to Foster, so your idea of the OL to blame is just rubbish. You put a LeSean McCoy or Ray Rice on this team, they will still pick up the yardage and 1st downs...regardless..

Now, I do agree with your idea about addressing it in FA. If they could've released some $ and signed say a Ben Grubbs, then they could've used that 1st round pick on defense. We need more play-makers on defense. A lot of those guys come from the 1st few rounds, unless you really luck out on a round 5-type guy....rare..

I'm sorry but DeCastro and Foster are not 1 and 1A. If that were the case a rookie wouldn't essentially had been handed the job which you can try to talk around but DeCastro was going to be the starter from Day 1.

Foster is part of the OL problem and has been for the past two years he has started. He can't get push off the LOS hence the proiblems we have in short yardage and he can't consistetntly maintain his blocks in pass protection. He is a good back up but should never be on the field for the extended periods we have played him.

pfelix73
09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry but DeCastro and Foster are not 1 and 1A. If that were the case a rookie wouldn't essentially had been handed the job which you can try to talk around but DeCastro was going to be the starter from Day 1.

Foster is part of the OL problem and has been for the past two years he has started. He can't get push off the LOS hence the proiblems we have in short yardage and he can't consistetntly maintain his blocks in pass protection. He is a good back up but should never be on the field for the extended periods we have played him.

Bullsheet! You and I will never see eye to eye on this, and I don't give a rats ars about that either. DeCastro was surely getting the nod over Foster because he was the #1 draft pick, but playing-wise they were neck and neck in camp. If you go back and listen to statements from those that are in the local media and at camp- oh wait- you are in Florida not Pitt, you would surely know that many were saying Foster was having a great camp and was pushing for playing time.. Hence the 1 and 1A statement I made. And those that were making statements such as these range from WTAE announcing the local pre season games to Tunch and Craig Wolfley to even PSU's old coach Tom Bradley who is on some local radio up here. This was the talk during camp.

Totally disagree with you that he can't pass protect and he's not getting off the ball. If you are zone blocking on a running play, you aren't supposed to hold your block.. In man, he would, but not zone- damn it depends on what the play is called, formation, and blocking scheme called- and we don't know whats called just by watching the game- only the OL coach and staff would know after watching the films...

Slapstick
09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Bullsheet! You and I will never see eye to eye on this, and I don't give a rats ars about that either. DeCastro was surely getting the nod over Foster because he was the #1 draft pick, but playing-wise they were neck and neck in camp. If you go back and listen to statements from those that are in the local media and at camp- oh wait- you are in Florida not Pitt, you would surely know that many were saying Foster was having a great camp and was pushing for playing time.. Hence the 1 and 1A statement I made. And those that were making statements such as these range from WTAE announcing the local pre season games to Tunch and Craig Wolfley to even PSU's old coach Tom Bradley who is on some local radio up here. This was the talk during camp.

Totally disagree with you that he can't pass protect and he's not getting off the ball. If you are zone blocking on a running play, you aren't supposed to hold your block.. In man, he would, but not zone- damn it depends on what the play is called, formation, and blocking scheme called- and we don't know whats called just by watching the game- only the OL coach and staff would know after watching the films...

"Talk during camp" is not to throw Foster under the bus publicly...

DeCastro would have been a game 1 starter due to his superior play over Ramon Foster...

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Yep. We won't agree. You can love the nice little UDFA making good story for Foster but he is not an NFL starter on most of the teams in this league. If Foster was such an asset why did they move Colon to LG versus Foster? Couldn't they have cut Colon and saved a ton of money? The bottomline is they want Foster out of the starting lineup and into a back up role and every personnel move they have made confirms that.

Why else are they hoping and taking the risk that DeCastro might be able to play before the end of the season versus getting him healthy on IR? Because they know they need better than Foster playing in games that matter. That has nothing to do with DeCastro being the #1 pick because the safe bet would be to put him on IR.

I guess the proof in the pudding will be if they retain Foster at the end of the season. My bet is they don't and that is not what they do for people they want to be starters.

pfelix73
09-27-2012, 12:13 PM
"Talk during camp" is not to throw Foster under the bus publicly...

DeCastro would have been a game 1 starter due to his superior play over Ramon Foster...

No. They were playing equally in camp.. That was reported and talked about on the local media all through August.

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
No. They were playing equally in camp.. That was reported and talked about on the local media all through August.

But the local media aren't the ones who watch these guys every play of every practice and know what they really want.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah, we will disagree on that.

pfelix73
09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
But the local media aren't the ones who watch these guys every play of every practice and know what they really want.

Let me clarify. Local media I'm referring to are some ex- football players- OLmen that are in the local media around and ATTEND camp/ practices. They know- or at least they should know what they are talking about. Edmund Nelson, Tunch Ilken, Craig Wolfley. All 3 discussed Foster's camp time in August. Said he was pushing for the starting job as he was having a great camp. Yea, we'll see what they do next off-season. I say, he'll be back, unless he goes somewhere else to start.

Just hope to God Mendenhall can get us some rushing yards, because being this bad in 62 years is flat out embarrassing. OL's fault, huh..lol

Mister Pittsburgh
09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Let me clarify. Local media I'm referring to are some ex- football players- OLmen that are in the local media around and ATTEND camp/ practices. They know- or at least they should know what they are talking about. Edmund Nelson, Tunch Ilken, Craig Wolfley. All 3 discussed Foster's camp time in August. Said he was pushing for the starting job as he was having a great camp. Yea, we'll see what they do next off-season. I say, he'll be back, unless he goes somewhere else to start.

Just hope to God Mendenhall can get us some rushing yards, because being this bad in 62 years is flat out embarrassing. OL's fault, huh..lol

There were a few articles in the middle/end of preseason saying that he was playing tentatively at first learning the system, etc....but the light had started to turn on where he was just playing and not thinking and was blowing people up.

feltdizz
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Castro has a higher ceiling but I don't think he would have a huge impact his first year. Gilbert is still getting hurt every game so we won't have a cohesive unit for a while...

Oviedo
09-27-2012, 02:24 PM

This we CAN agree on even if we will never agree on the other thing. If we can get some legit production out of the running game, Haley's options off of play action will take this offense to a new level. It is already trending in a great direction passing wise.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
ahh, the same old tricks.

decastro would have started because a) he fell in their lap, b) his ceiling is higher and c) his learning curve was not severe. Foster has once again played consistent football and not made foolish penalties like his counterpart on the other side. Sound familiar? He is disregarded here by one very loud poster who has an axe to grind because he beat out one of his draft day pets, kraig urbik. Nobody has ever claimed foster was a pro-bowl guard, but what some fail to understand is the money they save on guys like him, can then be spent on chronic under achievers like lawrence timmons.

any reasonable person can see the pay/performance edge has gone to the steelers in regards to this mans service. Ramon Foster has been a part of a lot of wins here, its too bad some won't recognize that, but we all have our agendas I suppose.

pfelix73
09-27-2012, 09:40 PM
ahh, the same old tricks.

decastro would have started because a) he fell in their lap, b) his ceiling is higher and c) his learning curve was not severe. Foster has once again played consistent football and not made foolish penalties like his counterpart on the other side. Sound familiar? He is disregarded here by one very loud poster who has an axe to grind because he beat out one of his draft day pets, kraig urbik. Nobody has ever claimed foster was a pro-bowl guard, but what some fail to understand is the money they save on guys like him, can then be spent on chronic under achievers like lawrence timmons.

any reasonable person can see the pay/performance edge has gone to the steelers in regards to this mans service. Ramon Foster has been a part of a lot of wins here, its too bad some won't recognize that, but we all have our agendas I suppose.

I agree. Foster brings his lunch pail to work every day and has for many years now and always seems to find a way to get into that starting lineup and/ or fill in when needed. He's an asset to this team as he can play OT too. DeCastro was a steal at where we drafted him, and he'll be a big addition to the OL down the road, but those 2 really did play at the same level in training camp. That is actually a positive for DD as he's just a rookie and was already matching Foster- the 4 year vet. So, I stand by my 1 and 1A statement. You can disagree if you must, but I know what was said in August as Ramon has a nasty streak to him and likes to compete.

OK- nuff said. I hate arguing with fellow Stiller fans, I'd rather do that with the Rats fans..:)

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go.....!

virgilbosetti
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
The offensive line's run blocking is AN issue....not THE issue. These fill ins are simply future journeyman that can't start.....won't start.
Mendy can't hurt. This offense is potent, and adding a good solid RB isnt' doin no harm. JMO.

Jooser
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Jamaal Charles had 233 yrds rushing last week, eclipsing our team total through 3 games in his one game outing.

Steelerphile
09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Redman, especially is really slow. Dwyer looks quick compared to Redman but he is no speed demon either. Both of these guys are sub-backs. They need someone else to wear the defense down before they come in fresh and then they could maybe do something better. Mendenhall is needed to make the run game go. He can tire out the defense by chasing him to the edge and then when Redman or Dwyer come in, they can use their size or power to be a little more effective.

Oviedo
09-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Jamaal Charles had 233 yrds rushing last week, eclipsing our team total through 3 games in his one game outing.

I think there are several players who have surpassed or are close to our team total...CJ Spiller included.

Jooser
09-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I think there are several players who have surpassed or are close to our team total...CJ Spiller included.

In 1 game?

stopplayn
09-30-2012, 09:24 AM
The Steeler Nation got down on Mendenhall after the Bin Laden comments. He was hated after that. Everyone forgot that he was a tremendous talent. Everyone cried for Redman. I told all that Redman limits our playbook. He is too slow to run counters, powers, sweeps etc so we have to throw out a lot of the playbook when he is in. When Mendy got hurt some fans were happy.

Slapstick
09-30-2012, 09:38 AM
The Steeler Nation got down on Mendenhall after the Bin Laden comments. He was hated after that. Everyone forgot that he was a tremendous talent. Everyone cried for Redman. I told all that Redman limits our playbook. He is too slow to run counters, powers, sweeps etc so we have to throw out a lot of the playbook when he is in. When Mendy got hurt some fans were happy.

Yes, you're so brilliant!!

Your photo in real life:

Oviedo
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
In 1 game?

Week #1: 169 yards
Week #2: 123 yards
Week #3: 16 yards then injured

stopplayn
09-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, you're so brilliant!!

Your photo in real life:

Someone is a Stopplayn hater.

Jooser
09-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Week #1: 169 yards
Week #2: 123 yards
Week #3: 16 yards then injured

Wow, we really do suck then...LOL.

Slapstick
09-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Someone is a Stopplayn hater.

Not true! A hater wouldn't tell you that you're brilliant...

This post is textual (and visual) proof that I support my opinions with jpegs...

buccoray61
10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
From what I understand,Mendenhall is expected to play Sunday against the Eagles.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
From what I understand,Mendenhall is expected to play Sunday against the Eagles.

Rashard Mendenhall ready for return to Steelers

By Kareem Copeland
Published: Oct. 1, 2012

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is set to return to the Pittsburgh Steelers this week after ACL surgery in January. His return has been much-anticipated as the Steelers ranked the No. 31 rushing offense in the NFL.

The Steelers host the Philadelphia Eagles this Sunday.

"I'm really just waiting on my opportunity," Mendenhall recently told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I just want to continue to work and, as we as an offense sort of form ourselves and bring the pieces together, I want to bring whatever piece I bring.

"But we struggled as a running game early in the season last year, and that's part of it. We just want to continue to grow and, as long as we get better and not worse, that's what we want to do. But we see it from a different light -- we see how close we are (to breaking out) so we just will keep working."

Mendenhall rushed for 1,100 yards in 2009 and 1,200 yards in 2010. Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer haven't been very effective as replacement backs.

"Getting (Mendenhall) back is really going to help us," offensive lineman Doug Legursky said. "Not that the other two backs haven't done a good job because they have, but Rashard's explosion, his speed and his experience will really just add to it and make us that much better. He is one of those guys who is able to press the hole and he is also just speed around the edge where nobody is going to catch him.

"That makes him a dangerous piece to our offense, and we're excited about getting him back."

Mendenhall tore his ACL during the 2011 regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns. The Steelers now will have more talent at the position, but Mendenhall admitted all of his speed and cutting ability has not returned. He also hasn't played in new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's scheme. There will be a transitional period.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000068287/article/rashard-mendenhall-ready-for-return-to-steelers

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I think mendy will be a real asset for haleys screen game. He has always displayed good hands.

perfect to slow down phillys pass rush.

buccoray61
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I think mendy will be a real asset for haleys screen game. He has always displayed good hands.

I agree Mendy was always under used in the passing game. I hope people don'e expect too much from right at first.He's coming back from a serious injury rather quickly,and on top of that I imagine he'll be rather rusty.

Oviedo
10-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Completely agree with you...frightening!!!!!;)

I think Mendy can thrive under Haley

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
good point.

they need him to play big though. Hope he can.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Completely agree with you...frightening!!!!!;)

I think Mendy can thrive under Haley

it seems like the timing was always off under BA for one reason or another in the screen game, it seems better under haley. Lets hope it continues.

Oviedo
10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
it seems like the timing was always off under BA for one reason or another in the screen game, it seems better under haley. Lets hope it continues.

I actually think the developing screen game is where we may miss DeCastro the most with his mobility and athleticism. This is one area that may help Mendy earn a new contract with the Steelers because he has the hands, the speed and the moves in space. He may be able to rip off some big plays the rest of the way.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I won't argue that at all.

that has always been Fosters biggest weakness. He struggles in space and lumbers. If he could pull like DD, he would go to the pro bowl.

considering how the other backs performed, mendy will get a reasonable offer from the steelers if he plays well. His agent has to be happy.

phillyesq
10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I actually think the developing screen game is where we may miss DeCastro the most with his mobility and athleticism. This is one area that may help Mendy earn a new contract with the Steelers because he has the hands, the speed and the moves in space. He may be able to rip off some big plays the rest of the way.

Uh oh. Now we're going to agree in 2 threads.

Yeah, just think of Pouncey and DeCastro leading a screen. That is a lot of athleticism.

lloydroid
10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I won't argue that at all.

that has always been Fosters biggest weakness. He struggles in space and lumbers. If he could pull like DD, he would go to the pro bowl.

considering how the other backs performed, mendy will get a reasonable offer from the steelers if he plays well. His agent has to be happy.

He's not the answer. A rookie would be far cheaper, with a higher upside. RM never lived up to his "potential" and it is unlikely he ever will. Just too soft. When you watch other runners rock it, they have something he doesn't. Yea, he is better than what we have right now, but that's not saying much (even though I had high hopes for JD, which didn't come to fruition.) I would honestly take.....

Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew, C.J. Spiller, Adrian Peterson, Gore, Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Doug Martin, DeMarco Murray, Cedric Benson, Trent Richardson, Darren McFadden, Andre Brown, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Michael Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Jackie Battle, Matt Forte, Pierre Thomas and the like before RM, and lots of those guys were 2nd round picks or later. A 2nd-round pick will be a lot cheaper than re-signing RM.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
your opinion on the steelers RB situation is laughable.

quit while you are behind.

lloydroid
10-03-2012, 11:00 AM
your opinion on the steelers RB situation is laughable.

quit while you are behind.

Your hunt and peck struggle with a keyboard is far more hilarious. If you have a specific difference of opinion, attempt to express it. Well, that could be asking too much. Just go on drinking your Iron City and slobbering. You can handle that.

hawaiiansteel
10-07-2012, 03:08 AM
October 6, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mendenhall confident

It might not have seemed like a significant moment when running back Rashard Mendenhall participated in both indoor practices last week during the off week. After all, he had been practicing almost on a daily basis with the Steelers for more than a month while he continued his recovery and rehabilitation from anterior cruciate ligament surgery on his right knee.

But, when he did, it was one of the final steps the coaches needed to see before they proclaimed him ready -- physically and mentally -- to return to the lineup.

The reason?

Mendenhall had no trepidation about practicing both days on the indoor facility's artificial turf -- a surface that tends to generate more stress and pounding on the knee. That convinced the coaches, who knew he was physically ready, that he was mentally ready, as well.

Mendenhall will make his return against the Eagles, his first game since he tore the ACL on New Year's Day in Cleveland.,

"That's just part of it," Mendenhall said about practicing. "Each day is a unique day. That was one of those days where it feels good and continues to feel good.

"For me, I've been taking steps accordingly, so I feel confident in everything I've been able to do. And the next step is getting out there, and I'm confident in that. The game will kind of tell its own tale."

The return of Mendenhall, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, comes at a good time.

The Steelers have struggled in the running game, ranking 31st in the league and averaging just 65 yards rushing in three games. Worse, Mendenhall's replacements, Isaac Redman and Joanthan Dwyer, have averaged just 2.4 yards per carry and don't have a run longer than 13 yards.

That has been one of Mendenhall's signatures. In the past three seasons, he has had 23 runs of 20 yards or longer, including 11 in 2010.

"I thought he has looked good for a couple of weeks," said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. "You could tell he was gaining confidence and moving around pretty well. Like I said from the start, he is a heck of a football player. He is a difference-maker. The more of those you can have on the field, the better."

"It's awesome, man," center Maurkice Pouncey said. "He's a great back. He has speed and explosion. It gives us another force back there to go with the backs we already have."

The Steelers will waste little finding out about Mendenhall because he is expected to start against the Eagles.

Still, he likely will be rotated with the other backs Haley has employed in the first three games, at least for now.

"He will give us pretty good feedback through his actions, with how he is doing," Haley said.

"We will see how it goes."

Either way, Mendenhall is ready for his return, physically and mentally.

"There are little things to stepping back out here, from making certain cuts to getting in the game to getting hit on [the knee]," Mendenhall said. "It's just a progression that I'm preparing myself for.

"Periodically, there are different cuts, different movements -- making a jump cut where you weren't even thinking about it -- things like that are just steps toward being able to do everything you're asked to do as a running back."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-plan-to-rotate-outside-linebackers-to-avoid-fatigue-656431/#ixzz28aO16uaI

BradshawsHairdresser
10-07-2012, 03:29 AM
I agree Mendy was always under used in the passing game. I hope people don'e expect too much from right at first.He's coming back from a serious injury rather quickly,and on top of that I imagine he'll be rather rusty.

True that Mendy is coming back from a serious injury, but I think if all accounts are accurate, he's coming back with fresh legs. Probably could have played some three weeks ago, but Steelers' brass rightly chose to go on the side of caution. As far as rustiness, shouldn't be as much of an issue for a RB as for a QB or WRs.

I'm not expecting too much, not because I don't think Mendy will be up to par, but because I think the Steelers' run blocking sucks so badly. Unless the OL can make a sudden vast improvement, Haley will have to go away from the run early on in order to stay in the game.