PDA

View Full Version : What Does Everyone THink of Thursday Night Games?

flippy
09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not a fan. It's becoming too much football on too many days. That's why I don't like baseball and hockey regular seasons. There's too many days to watch.

I also don't like it for the players. I wonder if guys are more prone to get injured on 3 days rest? Isn't Goodell supposed to be protecting player health?

We've got a Thursday game coming up against Ten in a few weeks. Ten comes off a late afternoon game away the week before in Minny, so we might have a little advantage. But I still don't like it.

Why not have teams coming off bye weeks play on Thursdays if you really need Thursday games.

And why not do Friday or Saturday to help the players recover a little more?

costanza2k1
09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
I love them! Just when I'm done with MNF and start getting over the weekend games I start dying for football again. TNF is my fix. I think the NFL is opposed to the Friday games due to high school football. Saturday would be a great idea as well.

ikestops85
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm not a fan. It's becoming too much football on too many days. That's why I don't like baseball and hockey regular seasons. There's too many days to watch.

I also don't like it for the players. I wonder if guys are more prone to get injured on 3 days rest? Isn't Goodell supposed to be protecting player health?

We've got a Thursday game coming up against Ten in a few weeks. Ten comes off a late afternoon game away the week before in Minny, so we might have a little advantage. But I still don't like it.

Why not have teams coming off bye weeks play on Thursdays if you really need Thursday games.

And why not do Friday or Saturday to help the players recover a little more?

I agree Flippy. I think it is going to be a cause for more injuries just because the player's body won't have enough time to recover. Another reason Goodell is a hypocrite.

Sugar
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I hate them as I hate all night games.

SDSteel1
09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
It makes the week go by faster, especially if it's a good game. I used to hate it when the Steelers played at any other time other than the early Sunday game, but I like the different schedule now because it opens up my weekends to do more stuff at different times. So I am a big fan of TNF.

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree Flippy. I think it is going to be a cause for more injuries just because the player's body won't have enough time to recover. Another reason Goodell is a hypocrite.

Agreed. Look at who is missing tonights game on the Giants.

ramblinjim
09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I love them as a fan because it breaks up the week a little bit but I agree with you guys, for the players those games are hard, they should come after the bye week, if at all. If I recall correctly, there is some sort of agreement between the different leagues that the NFL & NCAA don't compete against each other and neither of them play on Fridays because of High School football. I could be wrong though.

papillon
09-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Hate em, they need to do away with them, the game is too physical to play on Sunday and then turn around and play again on Thursday night. I know once the Thursday game is over the teams get a mini bye week, because they won't play again for 10 or 11 days, but the short week has to be horrible. I'm not a fan of night games in general; I wish all games were played at 1:00PM or 4:00PM and then be done.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Personally, I think the Thursday games, especially year round, dilute the game a bit. Part of what makes the NFL great is that it's not on everyday. That really makes Sunday a big event.

flippy
09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
There's some other good points in here I agree with.

I'm not a big fan of night games. And these night games and Thursday games are inconvenient for the fans who go to the games. I know the fans in the stadium aren't as important as the TV eyeballs.

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 01:26 PM
I guess THursday nights are good business because it is another broadcast contract. Even though t NFL Network is doing it the NFL get the advertising dollars.

flippy
09-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I guess THursday nights are good business because it is another broadcast contract. Even though t NFL Network is doing it the NFL get the advertising dollars.

I've wondered why they put these on the NFL as opposed to selling the games to another network.

On the one hand it probably adds significant value to the NFLN and overall marketing. But I bet they could make more money selling it to a major network.

The other thing that irks me is TWC doesn't have the NFL Network.

lloydroid
09-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I like it. To me, we aren't over-saturated with the NFL yet. I like it all: Sunday early, late and night games, MNF and Thursday football. I like it just fine. If it's a stink game, then turn the channel. (Some of the national games have been unwatchable, I will admit that. Even the announcers admitted how bad the game was last week. You never hear announcers saying, "This game is unwatchable" but they actually said that.

NJ-STEELER
09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I love them! Just when I'm done with MNF and start getting over the weekend games I start dying for football again. TNF is my fix. I think the NFL is opposed to the Friday games due to high school football. Saturday would be a great idea as well.

$$

they protect college ball as much as they do HS ball so no saturdays until right before the bowl games

Shoe
09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I think it's a good idea. I'm with those who think it could be "too much" football... In a more ideal world, I actually think MNF should just morph into TNF. But I think it's a good "get-together" sort of thing. Grab a six-pack or growler, call your buddy over, and watch a game... Then, go home and go to work.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm with those who think it could be "too much" football

there is no such thing...:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
The other thing that irks me is TWC doesn't have the NFL Network.

Some good news for you today, flip...Just got a text from Brandon from Missouri this morning (The Commish from Sirius NFL Radio) that Time Warner Cable and the NFL Network have finally reached a deal (which would include the Red Zone Channel as well).

When I first read your post, the first thing that I thought was, "Why would The Weather Channel have the NFL Network?" :p

flippy
09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Some good news for you today, flip...Just got a text from Brandon from Missouri this morning (The Commish from Sirius NFL Radio) that Time Warner Cable and the NFL Network have finally reached a deal (which would include the Red Zone Channel as well).

When I first read your post, the first thing that I thought was, "Why would The Weather Channel have the NFL Network?" :p

The Weather Channel's big down South :)

NorthCoast
09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I just signed up for our cable's upgrade to NFL network, so will now get Thursday's games.... it was pretty cheap. We'll see how it goes this season on whether I stay with it.

8467thekraken
09-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I have no problem with the way it is.

What i do have an issue with is having the Thursday night game so close to the bye week. That was always like a mini-bye week to me. But this year we will have 10 more games remaining and no "breaks".

Wish THEY would start using some common sense once in a while. With all this talk of safety you think this would be a no-brainer when it comes to scheduling. idk...

squidkid
09-23-2012, 10:52 AM
i'm all for it. this just gives me another opportunity to watch a couple teams play that i normally wouldnt be able to. same goes for the saturday games later in the year.
i dont buy the injury stuff and really dont care if there is some validity to it. the new cba rarely allows these players contact during the season anymore anyways. they can take one week out of 17 that they have a short recovery time.