PDA

View Full Version : It is still early, but the Raiders look like a joke

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 03:48 AM
It is still early, but the Raiders look like a joke

By Monte Poole - Oakland Tribune
Published: Monday, Sep. 17, 2012

No moral victories or silver linings, nothing of redeeming value.

The Raiders so thoroughly embarrassed themselves Sunday that the team photo should be 45 clown suits, all of them empty.

The Oakland roster that showed up in Miami was not a team ready to play but a joke willing to be played.

And the Dolphins, considered by some the worst team in the NFL, laughed and laughed until the merciful intervention of the clock spared the Raiders further indignity.

After Oakland took a 35-13 spanking from a team of such little promise, the Raiders' season is on high alert. A year of radical transition is threatening to deliver four months of sheer futility.

The Dolphins, after all, looked like one of the likeliest wins on the schedule, with a new coaching staff, a rookie quarterback, a hollow secondary and one of the least-imposing receiving corps in the NFL.

There may not be a more pessimistic fan base.

But the Raiders were an elixir, energizing fans at Sun Life Stadium and making the Dolphins look like a well-coached, highly skilled contender.

Most disappointing, the Oakland defense that has been dreadful for years but was respectable in the season opener last Monday vanished in the second half, when the Raiders were outscored 28-3.

Miami running back Reggie Bush (26 carries, 172 yards, two touchdowns) rambled as he did in his USC heyday. Quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who threw three interceptions in his pro debut last week, performed like a polished pro. Wide receiver Brian Hartline (nine catches, 111 yards) could not be covered.

"The way we started in the first half, I didn't foresee 35 at the end of the game," Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly conceded to reporters in Miami.

The Raiders' offense that scored one touchdown against San Diego did no better against Miami. The running game sputtered again. Darren McFadden (11 carries, 22 yards) already misses the schemes of former coach Hue Jackson.

First-year general manager Reggie McKenzie knew he was inheriting a mess, but he saw how deeply his personnel department needs to dig. It will scan the waiver wire again this week and probably find someone at least the equal of what the Raiders have.

Rookie coach Dennis Allen, in his first two attempts to distinguish himself, has brought nothing to indicate his team is ready to be a force. And after looking at Jim Harbaugh's work with the 49ers last year, we know what's possible in Year 1 of a new regime.

Allen, the NFL's youngest head coach, wants to vindicate his GM for making the risky move of hiring him as Jackson's replacement. Optimists are scratching their heads, and skeptics are screaming at the skies.

They all have memories. They realize this is looking like 2007 Ė the last year the Raiders hired a fresh-faced young coach and opened with back-to-back losses.

The '07 team won its next two games, then lost six in a row and finished 4-12. The coach, Lane Kiffin, was fired four games into 2008.

Well, the Raiders look like a team that might need three or four seasons before rising to mediocrity.

There will be growth. There will be change. The "New Era of Excellence," as described by the team's PR department, is very much in its embryonic stages. There will, eventually, be measurable progress.

But right now, after this forgettable effort, everything points toward regression.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/17/482...#storylink=cpy (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/17/4826041/it-is-still-early-but-the-raiders.html#storylink=cpy)

8467thekraken
09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
If there is one thing I know about this league, it's that you never look past an opponent.

Not to mention the fact that it's only week 3. Very few teams actually have it together.

For all we know, the Raiders could be in a rollercoaster pattern and may go back to playing better football.

These two teams have a history of "dislike". I expect the Raiders to show up.
And like every week, we will be there as well.

Ready and waitin'.

Steelers-31
Raiders-13

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
It's call a "trap game." A team that seemingly has nothing going right for them beats a better team. I wouldn't assume nothing with this game.

If it goes the way it should then it should be:

Steeler--34
Raiders--13

However, I just get the nervous feeling it will be closer.

williar
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
You are so correct, sir. I look at the true parody in this league and knowing anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday. Coupled in knowing my team has lost to some sad teams they should have beaten with ease. Losing that playoff game in Denver, just to name one.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-20-2012, 09:53 AM
The moment that they gave up two premium picks for a third rate QB they set their franchise further back by at least 3-5 years.

phillyesq
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I think the Raiders are a pretty dreadful team, but I'm still worried about this game. The travel to the West Coast always worries me, and the Raiders always seem to be tough for the Steelers.

flippy
09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I hate all this media attention that the Raiders are awful right before we go out West to play them. I'd rather hear them talked about like Mikey T talks about them.

ramblinjim
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I hate this stuff. I remember the year the Raiders were 2-14 yet one of their wins was against us. As far as I'm concerned, they are the second coming of the 2009 Patriots and we better go out there ready to play like our season depends on it or we'll take another embarrassing butt whoopin'.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Let's see if Todd Haley gameplans for each opponent. If he does, we should come out shotgun - no huddle spreading them out the entire game and hang 40 on them easy. Pretty sure their secondary is a complete joke.

phillyesq
09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Let's see if Todd Haley gameplans for each opponent. If he does, we should come out shotgun - no huddle spreading them out the entire game and hang 40 on them easy. Pretty sure their secondary is a complete joke.

Their secondary is awful and so is their run defense.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 02:35 PM
the Raiders gave up 263 rushing yards to the Dolphins last week, 172 to Reggie Bush.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-qF6CbJo2vY/SU4qoFHwcEI/AAAAAAAAEhE/jpyBQmffqDs/s400/raiders_suck.jpg

lloydroid
09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
If there is one thing I know about this league, it's that you never look past an opponent.

Not to mention the fact that it's only week 3. Very few teams actually have it together.

For all we know, the Raiders could be in a rollercoaster pattern and may go back to playing better football.

This. We could very well end up crushing them, but I certainly don't assume it. They could play hungry and pissed, considering their slow start and how much they hate Pgh. I wouldn't be shocked if their supposed weak rush D all of a sudden play well and limited our still-weak rushing game. Miami ran all over them, but that was IN Miami, and this one is IN Oakland, which makes a huge difference with the coast to coast travel being in THEIR favor in this one. I have seen good teams, from the east, go to Oakland and lose. It can happen. Hope they take care of business and don't lose one against a weak team. We can't afford it. We have to face too many good teams to lose one to a bad team.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Let's hope that the players and coaches aren't looking past the Raiders to that tough "Bye" opponent coming up after them.

squidkid
09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
i expect a real close game

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
i expect a real close game

It shouldn't be but I'm betting you are right. We should win by about 20 but just got that feeling...

lloydroid
09-20-2012, 04:45 PM
It appears that the Raiders have lost too many good veterans coming into this season. It's a new, unproven coaching staff as well. McFadden can still be a beast. Palmer is at least capable for the most part, if given some time to find an open receiver. I hope their O line is worse than ours. Raiders are 15th in offense, (Pgh is 25th, which is sh-t), and 15th in defense (compared to Pgh's at 7th.) Looking at those stats, Pgh is not better than is the Raiders. I know a lot of other stuff comes into why those #s are the way they are.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/19/129161348945167850.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/19/129161348945167850.jpg

Some people like to have Halloween more than just once a year.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Some people like to have Halloween more than just once a year.

or maybe it's this reason:

http://d0inw0rk.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/funny-raiders-poster.jpg?w=492

fordfixer
09-20-2012, 10:42 PM
It's so their parole officer can't tell that they are spending every Sunday with other felons.

skyhawk
09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Blowout eh? At least Vegas knows that the Steelers suck on the West Coast and against poor teams. The spread is 3.5 points folks. A team like the Pats or the 49ers in the same situation would be at least -10.

Slapstick
09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Blowout eh? At least Vegas knows that the Steelers suck on the West Coast and against poor teams. The spread is 3.5 points folks. A team like the Pats or the 49ers in the same situation would be at least -10.

It basically means that Vegas thinks that the Steelers would win by a TD on a neutral site...and that they would win by 10 in Pittsburgh...

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2012, 11:51 PM

The Niners would have to cross a bridge to get to Oakland, not an entire country.

The Pats just lost at home to the cross-country-traveling Cardinals.

Captain Lemming
09-22-2012, 01:17 AM
This. We could very well end up crushing them, but I certainly don't assume it. They could play hungry and pissed, considering their slow start and how much they hate Pgh.

This aint 1975. There is no "hate" between these teams. These guys werent born and even the coach was a little kid when we had our fierce rivalry with the Raiders.
Heck Al Davis is dead. It is just another game for these teams.

That is why the only concern is that we might come out flat.

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Marcus Allen will light the Al Davis flame on Sunday

Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/350x-1129-e1348265695949.jpg?w=200

More than 20 years after Raiders owner Al Davis decided to park running back Marcus Allen on the bench until his contract expired, Allen will attend a Raiders game.

Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com reports that Allen will light the flame that honors the long-time ownerís memory, prior to their game against the Steelers. Itís happening at the behest of Mark Davis, Alís son.

The development comes years after something happened to drive a wedge between the two men that never was resolved before Davis died last year.

ďHe told me he was going to get me,Ē Allen said in 1992. ďWeíve had conversations. I donít know for what reason, but he told me he was going to get me.Ē

In 2010, Davis declined to delve into the details.

ďIím not going to tell you,Ē Davis told Ice Cube, who put together a documentary on the team. ďItís a deeper story than you even dream, that I was well aware of, and I just got a certain approach to life.Ē

The truth still isnít known (itís believed in some circles that Davis didnít approve of Allenís friendship with O.J. Simpson ó which would make Davis a genius), but itís great to see Allen let bygones be bygones.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/21/marcus-allen-will-light-the-al-davis-flame-on-sunday/

papillon
09-22-2012, 07:12 AM
The Steelers should be going into this game as a big favorite and they're not because after two games the Steelers have played average football. The defense hasn't looked good for an entire game, the offense is still laboring and the Steelers are missing three key players.

Pappy

NorthCoast
09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
You are so correct, sir. I look at the true parody in this league and knowing anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday. Coupled in knowing my team has lost to some sad teams they should have beaten with ease. Losing that playoff game in Denver, just to name one.

Yes, the league can be a "parody" of itself sometimes... but it also has parity.