PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence - injury updates?

PittSteel
09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Is anyone aware of the latest on Sean Spence's injury? I know he's IR'd for the year, but I'm curious if there's been any estimation of his return, and his current status. His injury was a terrible thing to see.

williar
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Is anyone aware of the latest on Sean Spence's injury? I know he's IR'd for the year, but I'm curious if there's been any estimation of his return, and his current status. His injury was a terrible thing to see.

I was just wondering about that myself... I was so disappointed seeing him get injured in the last preseason game. Hopefully someone has some good news to share because I haven't heard a thing thus far.

Oviedo
09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
I really don't see how a "speed guy" like Spence comes back from multiple ligament tears. That was really ugly. I hope he turns out to be a medical miracle.

Slapstick
09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I really don't see how a "speed guy" like Spence comes back from multiple ligament tears. That was really ugly. I hope he turns out to be a medical miracle.

Willis McGahee came back from the same injuries, but 10 years ago...Spence is as good an athlete, but is dealing with more advanced surgical techniques...

flippy
09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
My concern when I saw it was "Is his career over?".

steelsnis
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure about his prognosis, but he was at an appearance with Antonio Brown and DeMarcus VanDyke earlier this week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomScrapBradley/status/248238895769206784?photo=1

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
no reason to think he won't recover.

I hope.

pittpete
09-19-2012, 09:25 PM
he has youth on his side

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Willis McGahee came back from the same injuries, but 10 years ago...Spence is as good an athlete, but is dealing with more advanced surgical techniques...

I hope you are right. I'd really like to see him come back and be very successful. However, if I'm Kevin Colbert I'm drafting an ILB in the first 3 round of the 2013 draft just to make sure.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not jumping for joy about next year's ILB draft class, though. If Manti Te'o falls to us in the first, or if Shayne Skov falls to us in the second, sure, go ahead and pounce on one of them if they are best available for us at that stage. But remember that we could also use a safety or two in this next draft, and there appear to be numerous prospects who might intrigue us on the first or second day of the draft (Eric Reid, Tony Jefferson, T.J. McDonald, Robert Lester, Kenny Vaccaro, Bacarri Rambo, or Matt Elam). If Harrison's injuries continue to linger and neither Carter nor Worilds step up to the plate as expected, another OLB prospect may be coming. And depending on what they decide to do with Wallace and Mendenhall for the future (since both of their contracts are up after this season, a new WR or RB may be in the works).

DBR96A
09-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Next year is when the Steelers load up on Ss.

phillyesq
09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
For what it's worth, Spence was standing on the sidelines with a big brace on his leg on Sunday.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Has anybody heard any updated information on Spence rehab or his prognosis for the future.

Oviedo
11-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Has anybody heard any updated information on Spence rehab or his prognosis for the future.

I've heard nothing but I can't be optimistic about his career chances given the multiple areas of damage he did to his knee. It's a shame because his explosiveness was his greatest asset and that will be the last thing he gets back after an injury like that. I could see him at less than 100% all of next year and if he ever gets back it may not be until 2014.

steelblood
11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not jumping for joy about next year's ILB draft class, though. If Manti Te'o falls to us in the first, or if Shayne Skov falls to us in the second, sure, go ahead and pounce on one of them if they are best available for us at that stage. But remember that we could also use a safety or two in this next draft, and there appear to be numerous prospects who might intrigue us on the first or second day of the draft (Eric Reid, Tony Jefferson, T.J. McDonald, Robert Lester, Kenny Vaccaro, Bacarri Rambo, or Matt Elam). If Harrison's injuries continue to linger and neither Carter nor Worilds step up to the plate as expected, another OLB prospect may be coming. And depending on what they decide to do with Wallace and Mendenhall for the future (since both of their contracts are up after this season, a new WR or RB may be in the works).

Ruthless,

I agree about this ILB class.

I disagree about Skov in the second. He has very good instincts and is tough and fearless. But, I think his athleticism is limited. He seems to gather himself when redirecting and has trouble corralling very athletic RBs because of this stiffness. He is coming off a major knee injury. And, he has also had a DUI in the past year. I wouldn't touch Skov before the third, maybe later.

Here are the guys I like at 3-4 ILB

Te'o in the first
LSU's Minter in the second

After that I like the following guys...

Kiko Alanso-Oregon. Very solid filling running lanes and great form tackles.
Penn State's Hodges - Very athletic as he often covers slot receivers. Will need to fill out frame. But could develop into a good starter.
Penn State's Mauti - he is an emotional leader and would be a special teams wrecking ball

My favorite ILB project is Devonte Holloman from SC. He is a 6'2 and 241 pound former safety who is still learning the position, but is cat quick and is a fantastic pass rusher. He is probably a day two pick. He could also play OLB in a pinch. He has Timmons-like athleticism.

BigRob
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Penn State's Hodges - Very athletic as he often covers slot receivers. Will need to fill out frame. But could develop into a good starter.

Bowman 2.0?

I like this ILB class,

Ogletree
Minter
Mosley
Te'o

jj28west
11-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I asked Jim Wexell who reports for the Steelers and he said (based on asking Tomlin) that nobody will know until he gets back on the field and does football drills.

I also asked about Decastro and was told his recovery will be complete without any effects of the injury!

Mister Pittsburgh
11-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I asked Jim Wexell who reports for the Steelers and he said (based on asking Tomlin) that nobody will know until he gets back on the field and does football drills.

I also asked about Decastro and was told his recovery will be complete without any effects of the injury!

That is terrific news about Decastro. One thing regarding Spence...he wasn't all that 'fast' prior to the injury. I think he ran something like a 4.65 or 4.7 40yds so maybe if he can heal up he will still be alright. His thing was more deciphering the play prior to the snap and reacting before anyone else which to me is more mental.