PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer has turf toe, no joking matter

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Source: The Associated Press

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer (toe) is dealing with turf toe and will be limited in practice early in the week.

Turf toe is a significant injury, especially for a RB. Let's not forget: Turf toe made Jack Lambert retire. I have a good friend who has been suffering from the ailment for years and the doctor just recently told him: "You have the toe of a 75-year old."

This could likely be the end to the JD campaign and push Mendenhall's return quicker than they ideally wished. JD is not practicing, RM is. And Tomlin said that they would "knock him around some this week" so RM's participation is being ramped up.

It's a bummer. I had high hopes for JD and it's not looking like they will come to fruition at this point. I guess it just wasn't in the cards. Back to Spinderhall and Redman on goal line. Sigh.

Oviedo
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Cut it off. He still has four on that foot.

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Trying to run without a big toe would be akin to trying to grab heavy objects missing a thumb. It is a very big deal to try to run without a functional big toe. Or else, why would Jack Lambert retire from turf toe? It sounds very minor but in reality it is a serious injury, unless the severity of the sprain is low, and I don't know how severe he dinged it. No idea.

flippy
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM

That was worth the milk on my keyboard. :)

Steeler Expat
09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Relevant: http://sauceandboss.blogspot.com/2012/09/tomlin-press-conference-week-3.html

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Relevant: http://sauceandboss.blogspot.com/2012/09/tomlin-press-conference-week-3.html

Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, Rashard Mendenhall and Stevenson Sylvester are all on the day by day approach. Disturbingly, Tomlin said that Jonathan Dwyer has turf toe. Like any injury, there are degrees of severity. But if you live in Pittsburgh and you utter the words "turf toe" in a bar full of old dudes, undoubtedly, one of them will say...Hey turf toe ended Lambert's career.

So true. So true.

phillyesq
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
This was one of the big issues with Dwyer all along - durability.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2012, 04:26 PM

I thought that Redman's arms and legs and head were supposed to fall off before the end of week 2 because of the way he runs. ;)

Oviedo
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought that Redman's arms and legs and head were supposed to fall off before the end of week 2 because of the way he runs.

;)

I haven't noticed him running yet! So things can't fall off sitting on your backside in the backfield.;);)

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

that's because Dwyer's running style makes him conducive to injuries...

D Rock
09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Trying to run without a big toe would be akin to trying to grab heavy objects missing a thumb. It is a very big deal to try to run without a functional big toe. Or else, why would Jack Lambert retire from turf toe? It sounds very minor but in reality it is a serious injury, unless the severity of the sprain is low, and I don't know how severe he dinged it. No idea.

A real Steelers RB would do it if they had to.

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
A real Steelers RB would do it if they had to.

Based on...............?????????? Are you suggesting Jack Lambert wasn't tough since a turf toe made him retire?

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
I thought that Redman's arms and legs and head were supposed to fall off before the end of week 2 because of the way he runs. ;)

This just in: He has been hurt every week.

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I haven't noticed him running yet! So things can't fall off sitting on your backside in the backfield.;);)

Also, by week 2 he is SPLITTING carries ALREADY with JD, so he has less chance to get injured. The prognostications about IR being on IR was based on him being the clear #1 back, which he already is NOT. They are splitting carries, right down the middle.

Slapstick
09-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Also, by week 2 he is SPLITTING carries ALREADY with JD, so he has less chance to get injured. The prognostications about IR being on IR was based on him being the clear #1 back, which he already is NOT. They are splitting carries, right down the middle.

One of them is limited in practice this week...it isn't Redman....

D Rock
09-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Based on...............?????????? Are you suggesting Jack Lambert wasn't tough since a turf toe made him retire?

Do you always make things up that have no relation to what was said?

BradshawsHairdresser
09-19-2012, 07:18 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NorthCoast
09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
So much for Dwyer being the savior of the run game. Time to move on to the next back on the roster.... plug and play, that's the new motto.

eniparadoxgma
09-19-2012, 07:57 PM

<insert laughing smiley here because emoticons don't seem to be working for me at the moment>

I completely agree. I mean, why isn't Redman stopping the opposing DL from breaking through into the backfield repeatedly? But who cares? Let's just look at the stat sheet and blame the RB!

<insert another laughing smiley here>

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Do you always make things up that have no relation to what was said?

Try to follow along if you can. The assertion was made that "a real running back would still play with turf toe." That is an assertion that is straight forward and simple. Hence, if one believes the above, then one would also, likely and logically, think Lambert wasn't a "real LB" since he retired from the same injury. If you apply basic logic, you will "get it."

Here are the facts on the injury. Please feel free to learn. Thank you.
http://amog.com/sports/152501-turf-toe/

DukieBoy
09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Try to follow along if you can. The assertion was made that "a real running back would still play with turf toe." That is an assertion that is straight forward and simple. Hence, if one believes the above, then one would also, likely and logically, think Lambert wasn't a "real LB" since he retired from the same injury. If you apply basic logic, you will "get it."

What you are saying here is that the irony of the statement completely escaped you.

D Rock
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Let me help YOU to try and follow along, son.

Someone said he should amputate the toe. You failed to realize that it was a joke, and made a post about how that wouldn't be a good idea and how necessary the toe is. I then posted a picture of a man considered to be both a total bada** and who was also a Steelers RB. I'll fill you in just in case you are unaware. Rocky Bleier fought in the Vietnam War. He was shot. He then had a grenade explode all over his leg. He then went in to beast mode, made a very painful comeback, and became a successful RB in the NFL as well as a fan favorite.

And the assertion made was that a real Steelers RB would amputate the toe if he had to in order to keep playing. I should know, because I made the assertion. For being such a simple and straight forward assertion, you sure did miss the mark on understanding it. Please try to keep up, wont you?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
somehow I don't think dwyer will get a postcard.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2012, 09:35 PM
somehow I don't think dwyer will get a postcard.

or go to the Pro Bowl as someone predicted...:roll:

birtikidis
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Turf toe in a decade long career is different than turf toe in year 2 or 3

anjang86
09-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Let me help YOU to try and follow along, son.

Someone said he should amputate the toe. You failed to realize that it was a joke, and made a post about how that wouldn't be a good idea and how necessary the toe is. I then posted a picture of a man considered to be both a total bada** and who was also a Steelers RB. I'll fill you in just in case you are unaware. Rocky Bleier fought in the Vietnam War. He was shot. He then had a grenade explode all over his leg. He then went in to beast mode, made a very painful comeback, and became a successful RB in the NFL as well as a fan favorite.

And the assertion made was that a real Steelers RB would amputate the toe if he had to in order to keep playing. I should know, because I made the assertion. For being such a simple and straight forward assertion, you sure did miss the mark on understanding it. Please try to keep up, wont you?

D Rock, if you are implying that Mendenhall should play after getting hit with a grenade, I think you should do some research first and feel free to learn more about grenades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade

D Rock
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
D Rock, if you are implying that Mendenhall should play after getting hit with a grenade, I think you should do some research first and feel free to learn more about grenades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_grenade

wow. Blast from the past. Did you just find where you had written down you user name and password after all these years???

Discipline of Steel
09-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Crash has returned.

SDSteel1
09-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Awesome thread!! Do they still give Stemmys here? Or was that the other faction that was once on the Trib?

anjang86
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
wow. Blast from the past. Did you just find where you had written down you user name and password after all these years???

Nah. I've always been lurking but haven't had the time to post and keep up with conversations like I used to. Couldn't resist posting in this thread though.

I check TribLive every day hoping they open the old forums back up :)

Steelerphile
09-20-2012, 07:51 AM
What I remember is that Lambert dislocated his big toe. That is a far more significant injury than "turf toe". I think, especially back in the day when the NFL played most of its games on artificial turf, many if not most backs experienced "turf toe". So, yes this is a concern but I don't think this is necessarily a career ending threat, unless this turns into a never-ending litany of problems for Dwyer.

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
What I remember is that Lambert dislocated his big toe. That is a far more significant injury than "turf toe". I think, especially back in the day when the NFL played most of its games on artificial turf, many if not most backs experienced "turf toe". So, yes this is a concern but I don't think this is necessarily a career ending threat, unless this turns into a never-ending litany of problems for Dwyer.

There has been 30 more years of medical knowledge in how to deal with these types of injuries. I'm sure if Lambert was playing today the way he would be treated would be completely different from the early 1980's.

Keyplay1
09-20-2012, 09:05 AM

"Dwyer's running style makes him conducive to injuries" ?? How so??? Or is this simply a response to loydroid's comments on Redman? :D

Regardless, this is really bad news. Just when he seems to be warming up to some big things. Yeah, improving game by game, play by play.

TS now might be in a bad situation now[actually good bad] with RM just about ready. Going from a thin RB situation to a now possible overload. Really was looking forward to seeing how the run game worked against the Raiders. More than likely Mendy would not have played giving him two more weeks to get 100%. But if Dwyer cannot light things up because of this freaking injury then that is really some doggone bad news.

What I am saying is screw those not impressive run stats up to now, those could change drastically in an instant. But now, it does not look or sound so good.
This was the 1st I heard about this toe. I was hoping that maybe it was the coach blowing some smoke to the Raiders. But I guess not. From today's PG.
Injury updates
Those who did not practice Wednesday: running back Jonathan Dwyer (toe), offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (groin), linebacker James Harrison (knee), tight end Heath Miller (ribs), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (knee) and wide receiver Mike Wallace (groin). Offensive tackle Mike Adams (back) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (knee) were limited. [Geez! Today will be a big day at practice to see who is available for the game]

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-roethlisberger-have-some-unpleasant-memories-of-oakland-654154/#ixzz270trq9Y5

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
"Dwyer's running style makes him conducive to injuries" ?? How so??? Or is this simply a response to loydroid's comments on Redman? :D

Regardless, this is really bad news. Just when he seems to be warming up to some big things. Yeah, improving game by game, play by play.

TS now might be in a bad situation now[actually good bad] with RM just about ready. Going from a thin RB situation to a now possible overload. Really was looking forward to seeing how the run game worked against the Raiders. More than likely Mendy would not have played giving him two more weeks to get 100%. But if Dwyer cannot light things up because of this freaking injury then that is really some doggone bad news.

What I am saying is screw those not impressive run stats up to now, those could change drastically in an instant. But now, it does not look or sound so good.
This was the 1st I heard about this toe. I was hoping that maybe it was the coach blowing some smoke to the Raiders. But I guess not. From today's PG.
Injury updates
Those who did not practice Wednesday: running back Jonathan Dwyer (toe), offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (groin), linebacker James Harrison (knee), tight end Heath Miller (ribs), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (knee) and wide receiver Mike Wallace (groin). Offensive tackle Mike Adams (back) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (knee) were limited. [Geez! Today will be a big day at practice to see who is available for the game]

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-roethlisberger-have-some-unpleasant-memories-of-oakland-654154/#ixzz270trq9Y5

Like I said in another thread, combine the injuries, with traveling to the west coast to the emotion of playing the Raiders and this Sunday has all the lelements of a classic "trap game"

D Rock
09-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Like I said in another thread, combine the injuries, with traveling to the west coast to the emotion of playing the Raiders and this Sunday has all the lelements of a classic "trap game"

I'm hoping they all still remember the embarrassment after the last couple games against the Raiders and they come out firing this week.

ikestops85
09-20-2012, 10:22 AM

I think you might be right Ovi. I'm starting to get that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Oh, wait a minute, it was just gas. I feel better now. :D

aggiebones
09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Lambert retired 20 years ago from this.
It is not the same problem it was then.

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I think you might be right Ovi. I'm starting to get that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Oh, wait a minute, it was just gas. I feel better now. :D

There are advantages to a "virtual" discussion...no smells:D

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM

:lol: That's just awesome.

...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

"skip a bit, brother"

... And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

eniparadoxgma
09-20-2012, 06:34 PM

:)

PS. The Doodie Balls rule!!!1

Shoe
09-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm convinced that this guy is Beanie Wells' long lost brother. Looks like Tarzan, gets injured like Jane.

Slapstick
09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
I read that Dwyer practiced today...as did Rashard...