PDA

View Full Version : Clark more valuable than Troy

lloydroid
09-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Maybe it's too simplistic of an analysis, but bottom line, I think the D is better when Clark is in and TP is missing than vise versa. Clark was nearly flawless yesterday. He is always in position, always makes the tackle, always creating fear in the opposition. TP has been flopping and flailing more than producing these days. Troy in, Clark out? Our D gets scorched in Denver. Clark in, TP out? We pretty much blanket the Jets after the 1st Q. They were stymied; they couldn't do anything.

I think it's quite possible that Clark is more valuable to our D than TP - who, might be more of a liability than benefit these days. I am not concluding that as fact, but it is more of a possibility than it ever has been. Let's put it this way: From here on out, I will be more concerned when Clark is out than if TP is. Given the choice, I'd take Clark in and TP out than they other way around. This is no knock on TP, who has been nothing short of amazing in his career. It's just how it seems in the present.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Peyton Manning is way, way, way more valuable than Mark Sanchez.

Slapstick
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Clark may be more valuable in that he allows Troy to be Troy...

If Clark were able to play in Denver, Troy would have never lined up 20 yards off the ball and you might have seen a very different game from Peyton Manning...

skyhawk
09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Not sure if he's more valuable but he really shined yesterday. I have said that he's the best player on this team behind Ben and Troy.

He is definitely now the leader of this D.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
With Troy at 100%...no way. However we may never see Troy at 100% ever again. He just looks heavy to me this year compared to years past.

skyhawk
09-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Heavy and slow and a bit bored.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Heavy and slow and a bit bored.

how in the hell does he look bored? And you spotted this in one game? You must be a doctor or something. Thank you so much for providing such valuable insight for the board.

this place never ceases to amaze.

lloydroid
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
how in the hell does he look bored? And you spotted this in one game? You must be a doctor or something. Thank you so much for providing such valuable insight for the board.

He does look heavy and slow, compared to his old self. As far as bored, well, sure, maybe we can't spot that necessarily, but I know what skyhawk means. TP does have an appearance of not being as intense as he used to be. There is something different about him in his demeanor - maybe because he is hurt and kind of bummed out about being hurt yet AGAIN.

lloydroid
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Not sure if he's more valuable but he really shined yesterday. I have said that he's the best player on this team behind Ben and Troy.

He is definitely now the leader of this D.

And the guy is no dolt; many times the real hitters aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but Clark is really bright. And really aggressive. He is all over the field, seems to really know the D inside and out. He is the glue out there. This D suffers without him. The Jets were totally frustrated trying to throw the ball after the 1st Q. They were so depressed and beat down.

BigRob
09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Best combination is Clark & Polamalu. That is the best combination against the run and pass. I think it was Jim Wexell last year that talked about how Clark is the glue that allows this defense to do what it does. Even Polamalu talks about how Clark makes him the best player he can be.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
not being as intense. Something different in his demeanor.

wow, can you provide specific examples?

I have both games on DVR and would love to go back and see these things for myself.

skyhawk
09-17-2012, 04:34 PM

1) Enough with the condescension .
2) Yes, I am a doctor (like that matters at all)
3) Bored meaning Troy isn't being Troy. And Payton had alot to do with that. Troy was back in cover for most of the game trying to stop Manning. We all know what Troy can do, and one of the best to play the game (Manning) took him out of the game. If I were him, that would bore me knowing the kind of player he is overall. Now rack up yet another injury - I am sure he is bored, and perhaps a little frustrated as his last 3-4 years of his football days wane.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
nonsensical bs.

give me one solitary example of troy being "bored".

Sugar
09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
not being as intense. Something different in his demeanor.

wow, can you provide specific examples?

I have both games on DVR and would love to go back and see these things for myself.

Since Troy didn't play yesterday, that makes it easier. ;)

Troy has been dinged up a bit, but he's still a monster.

skyhawk
09-17-2012, 04:42 PM
nonsensical bs.

give me one solitary example of troy being "bored".

And with that being said, I don't think Troy is in any way done. Bored is a bad term to use for sports perhaps. But alot of players hit slumps and get frustrated and, well, disappointed/bored with themselves. And perhaps after now having 2 SB titles, a lock for the HOF, and a family, maybe his outlook on the game has changed? Just a little? As a fan, I hope not, but I also know Troy is human. Maybe his body has worn down after playing football for 20 years. With the way he plays it takes a toll.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-17-2012, 04:49 PM
now that I agree with.

I have long suspected, like many others, that troy will walk away from the game earlier than a lot of other players.

he has always been a different cat, and that is one of the things I respect about him the most.

aggiebones
09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not really gonna read this, but I think it had more to do with Manning after a full offseason of studying us versus Sanchez basking in the glow of his previous win.
We aren't winning a Super Bowl without either of them.
...and we may not win with both of them either. Though we have as good a chance as anyone.

fezziwig
09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Troy, Harrison, anyone of the offensive linemen on any given play will always be injured or getting injured and not playing up to 100% maybe not even 80%. We are in for some lack luster seasons until we draft/develope some players.
Clark is more valuable than Troy because Clark can make it on the field and not have injuries deplite his playing abilities,

flippy
09-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Mundy was more valuable than Troy....yesterday....

SidSmythe
09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm all for Free Speech, but can LloydDroid be banned from making posts??? :HeadBanger

lloydroid
09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm all for Free Speech, but can LloydDroid be banned from making posts??? :HeadBanger

You're for free speech but went me banned from being able to practice free speech? You are a hypocrite and illogical.

lloydroid
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Since Troy didn't play yesterday, that makes it easier. ;)

Troy has been dinged up a bit, but he's still a monster.

I don't know that he is. He flies around, but ends up missing tackles. Does flying around but not hitting anyone really make one considered a monster?

Shoe
09-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Haha.
Let Clark play against Manning without Polamalu and let Polamalu play Sanchez without Clark and see if we're still entertaining this idea.

SidSmythe
09-17-2012, 08:10 PM
You're for free speech but went me banned from being able to practice free speech? You are a hypocrite and illogical.

Technically the word Hypocrit means someone who acts (like a movie star)

This is a private board and your free speech rights are limited according to the T.O.S.
Therefor, if there is anything in the T.O.S. that entails outrageous posts then you could be blocked. Just sayin'!!

DukieBoy
09-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't know that he is. He flies around, but ends up missing tackles. Does flying around but not hitting anyone really make one considered a monster?

You Imply that Troy flies around without hitting anyone? Seriously? Prove it. Show a complete body of evidence.

hawaiiansteel
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
maybe it just seems that way because Ryan Mundy makes a better Troy than he does a Ryan Clark...

phillyesq
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Maybe it's too simplistic of an analysis, but bottom line, I think the D is better when Clark is in and TP is missing than vise versa. Clark was nearly flawless yesterday. He is always in position, always makes the tackle, always creating fear in the opposition. TP has been flopping and flailing more than producing these days. Troy in, Clark out? Our D gets scorched in Denver. Clark in, TP out? We pretty much blanket the Jets after the 1st Q. They were stymied; they couldn't do anything.

I think it's quite possible that Clark is more valuable to our D than TP - who, might be more of a liability than benefit these days. I am not concluding that as fact, but it is more of a possibility than it ever has been. Let's put it this way: From here on out, I will be more concerned when Clark is out than if TP is. Given the choice, I'd take Clark in and TP out than they other way around. This is no knock on TP, who has been nothing short of amazing in his career. It's just how it seems in the present.

Are you the same guy that called 93.7 yesterday and was nearly laughed off the air?

GGPa
09-18-2012, 10:04 AM

This is a private board and your free speech rights are limited according to the T.O.S.
Therefor, if there is anything in the T.O.S. that entails outrageous posts then you could be blocked. Just sayin'!!
Be reasonable do it my way. LOL

SidSmythe
09-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Are you the same guy that called 93.7 yesterday and was nearly laughed off the air?

For what??? Referring to Troy Polamalu as something you wipe ur butt with??? Not Cool! So Not cool at all LloydDroid

lloydroid
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM

You should be blocked for reading and comprehension failure.

flippy
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

I should be blocked for my typos and brain farts.

SidSmythe
09-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Coming from the guy who doesn't capitalize his own proper board name!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I should be blocked for my typos and brain farts.

Is that what smells in here? Brain farts? :p

lloydroid
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Coming from the guy who doesn't capitalize his own proper board name!!

That's what you are reduced to? LMAO. OK, everyone who didn't capitalize his board name is banned. And everyone who lacks any skills to make more than minimum in the work place is sentenced to a life of depression. Look at your own board name. ROTMFFLMMFAO.

stopplayn
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Troy Polamalu is our best player. No one on our team has more Pro Bowls, All Pro nominations etc. The most accomplished and most respected Steeler is Troy Polamalu. FOR A REASON

SidSmythe
09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Troy Polamalu is our best player. No one on our team has more Pro Bowls, All Pro nominations etc. The most accomplished and most respected Steeler is Troy Polamalu. FOR A REASON

Ok, I am going to use proper grammar since Lloyddroid (notice the proper capitalization here) is so picky about punctuation, spelling, etc.

Troy is not perfect, but the only thing that can slow him down is/are injuries. (Ok, I need some help. Do I use "is" or "are" here?? Anyone??)

skyhawk
09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Ok, I am going to use proper grammar since Lloyddroid (notice the proper capitalization here) is so picky about punctuation, spelling, etc.

Troy is not perfect, but the only thing that can slow him down is/are injuries. (Ok, I need some help. Do I use "is" or "are" here?? Anyone??)

The only THING that can slow him down IS an injury. The only THINGS that can slow him down ARE injuries.

Three of my parents were english teachers and I went to a liberal arts college. ;)

The only thing I can think though is that "injuries" could be considered singular? But the thing/injury things/injuries have to match in the sentence.

And I think "could" would be a better more grammatically correct word. LOL. Is that sentence right? whoops - Here: would be a more grammatically correct word. Damn you Lloyddroid!!!! :HeadBanger

EDIT: And I think "could" would be a better, more grammatically correct word. That could work too? Anyone?? Buehler?

DukieBoy
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
That's what you are reduced to? LMAO. OK, everyone who didn't capitalize his board name is banned. And everyone who lacks any skills to make more than minimum in the work place is sentenced to a life of depression. Look at your own board name. ROTMFFLMMFAO.

Perhaps, one day, maybe even within two decades, adolescence will finally come to an end for you.

hawaiiansteel
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
The only thing I can think though is that "injuries" could be considered singular?

"Injury" is singular, "injuries" are plural and could never be considered singular.

I don't know this to be a fact, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express many years ago.

NorthCoast
09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Sure, we would all like to see Troy play like he did in his 2nd season, but he is in his 10th season. It simply isn't realistic to expect the same level of play. When you play at such a high level early on, any drop-off would be noticeable (what's the cliche; those on high pedestals have the farthest to fall?). I give Troy the benefit of the doubt, maybe he is pacing himself because he knows it is a long season and he is more aware of his body and age. Hell, some say that Woodley takes half the season off before hitting his stride and he is only in his 6th season.
Plus, do you really think Peyton Manning would make adjustments to the play call based on where Clark is lining up like he was doing with Troy in game 1? Doubt it.

flippy
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
non sequiturs and apple autocorrect trump grammar on the internet, so why bother? and caps take too much effort.

i expect most steelers fans to be relatively dumb knuckledraggers like me.

also the interruptions. i get interrpted all the time. type half a post. come back later, type some more stuff. forget what i typed. retype stuff midsentence.

actually i see all kidns of words underlined as misspellings. i can't spell anything.

seriously though, i used to think less of people 20+ years ago when they misspelled stuff in emails. but that was a different generation. now speed rules the day. at least in many circumstances. i want my brain surgeon to be precise, but who cares about some guy on the internet.

now i view proper grammar today like i view bad grammar 20+ years ago. it's like a bit of a flaw to the other extreme. maybe it's that i can't type crap on my iphone. i think some technology made grammar unimportant. not sure when it happened. but it did. and now it seems more important to get thoughts across quickly and efficiently rather than grammar being important.

that was really long winded and contradicted everything i just said. like i mentioned earlier, i'm a dumby on both ends of the spectrum. :smile:

And I think Troy is the most amazing football player to ever step on a football field. Defends more blades of grass than any player in the history of the game.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Three of my parents were english teachers and I went to a liberal arts college. ;)

The product of a menage a trois...an authority on singular vs. plural. :p

skyhawk
09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
The product of a menage a trois...an authority on singular vs. plural. :p

I read the reply before your screen name and knew it was you ;)

And it's my 2 parents plus a step-mom after dad moved on! And I ain't an authority - they did all my english homework for me lol.

lloydroid
09-19-2012, 03:52 PM
And I think Troy is the most amazing football player to ever step on a football field. Defends more blades of grass than any player in the history of the game.

He ___USED___ to. Now he is hurt all the time, flops around, misses tackles. Clark is playing straight and tight. TP on the sidelines. Clark > TP in the here and now.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
He ___USED___ to. Now he is hurt all the time, flops around, misses tackles. Clark is playing straight and tight. TP on the sidelines. Clark > TP in the here and now.

Saying that Clark is better than Troy because Clark had a solid day on the field while Troy was injured on the sidelines in the here and now is like saying that that Dante Rosario is better than Antonio Gates because Rosario had 3 TD's on the field while Gates was injured on the sidelines in the here and now.

Oviedo
09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Clark isn't as good as Troy on his best day. For anyone who thinks so, does that include a game in Denver. Oh sorry, he won't be playing that one.

Kinda hard to criticize Troy for getting hurt actually playing in a game that Clark didn't even dress for don't ya think????????

ikestops85
09-19-2012, 05:42 PM
While I love Ryan Clark and the way he plays it is silly to think he is as good or better than Troy. Clark is a 'glue' type player where Troy is the superstar. You need both types of players to win. Where Clark is good in almost all facets he doesn't have instincts that Troy does. They both blend together on this team very well. They will be hard to replace.