PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark is a hell of a football player

BigRob
09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
If we had him against Denver the last two losses, they are wins. Nuff said.

papillon
09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
If we had him against Denver the last two losses, they are wins. Nuff said.

Probably a true statement and more of an indictment of Mundy's ability to play FS in the NFL than it is Ryan Clark's greatness. Clark is an outstanding football player though without a doubt.

Pappy

Snatch98
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree on both fronts. I can never wrap my head around the occasional "hate" he gets around here. He's a tremendous asset. He switched back and forth quite a bit last night. They should do the same when Troy comes back with clark and he alternating between strong and free.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree on both fronts. I can never wrap my head around the occasional "hate" he gets around here. He's a tremendous asset. He switched back and forth quite a bit last night. They should do the same when Troy comes back with clark and he alternating between strong and free.

Not that Clark gets "hate" because he is a great player. However, he does have deficiencies in pass coverage and therefore does not get the INTs that many other elite Free Safeties get. I hope he can play another couple of years until we get a replacement trained. Mundy is not that guy. Golden...maybe but way too soon to even suggest that.

flippy
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I think he'd be a better SS. He gets flack because of his coverage. I think we wish he were a ballhawk. Or anyone in our secondary was a ballhawk for that matter. But he's a great tackler. A nasty hitter. And a nice guy. There's a lot to like about Ryan Clark.

Our problem is we're never satisfied with anything being from Pittsburgh. It's in our DNA.

steelz09
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Clark is easily one of the most underrated players on this team.

Captain Lemming
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I think he'd be a better SS. He gets flack because of his coverage. I think we wish he were a ballhawk. Or anyone in our secondary was a ballhawk for that matter. But he's a great tackler. A nasty hitter. And a nice guy. There's a lot to like about Ryan Clark.

Our problem is we're never satisfied with anything being from Pittsburgh. It's in our DNA.

They say our two safety positions are more similar than most teams.
That being said, maybe it is time to switch our safety roles?

Have Troy play a more traditional "ballhawk" free safety role as a true free safety to protect him from injury, while giving him more opportunities to create turnovers Ed Reeds style.
Have Clark at strong safety, which does fit his skill set more.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Not that Clark gets "hate" because he is a great player. However, he does have deficiencies in pass coverage and therefore does not get the INTs that many other elite Free Safeties get. I hope he can play another couple of years until we get a replacement trained. Mundy is not that guy. Golden...maybe but way too soon to even suggest that.

Talk about other 'elite' free safeties. The current standard at FS is Ed Reed. He gets tons of ints every year, so he must be the greatest covering FS of out generation. The thing is that every time I see him pick a pass, it is off of a deflection that falls into his waiting hands. It is unbelievable how many tipped balls this guy picks. Give him credit for always being around the ball, but he has caught some of the easiest interceptions I have ever seen. He just sits back in zone coverage and collects gifts.

SidSmythe
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Coming from a guy who didn't like Clark early on in his Steeler career ...i've come to see how valuable he is to this defense.
He's a leader and the QB of this defense. he allows Troy to be Troy...........He's more than a Centerfielder. He's like having a small LB in pass coverage and at the 3rd level of the running game.

Captain Lemming
09-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Talk about other 'elite' free safeties. The current standard at FS is Ed Reed. He gets tons of ints every year, so he must be the greatest covering FS of out generation. The thing is that every time I see him pick a pass, it is off of a deflection that falls into his waiting hands. It is unbelievable how many tipped balls this guy picks. Give him credit for always being around the ball, but he has caught some of the easiest interceptions I have ever seen. He just sits back in zone coverage and collects gifts.

Reed he great ball reaction skill. That is a true talent.
Troy has that SAME ability. Just that his responsibilities are broader which limits his opportunities.
Thus the suggestion above.

Captain Lemming
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Coming from a guy who didn't like Clark early on in his Steeler career ...i've come to see how valuable he is to this defense.
He's a leader and the QB of this defense. he allows Troy to be Troy...........He's more than a Centerfielder. He's like having a small LB in pass coverage and at the 3rd level of the running game.

This is more the role of a strong safety.
If we redefine our safety roles and swapped our guys, I really think it would work.

Slapstick
09-17-2012, 03:26 PM
This is more the role of a strong safety.
If we redefine our safety roles and swapped our guys, I really think it would work.

In the Steelers D, either safety may play this role on a given down...