PDA

View Full Version : The Offense...

Slapstick
09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
...really came alive today in the last 2 and a half quarters...

Between the big plays by Ben, the long TD by Wallace, the tough, tough catches by Cotchery, Sanders and Brown (Wow!) and the way that Dwyer and Redman came on in the 2nd half, culminating in a 14 play, 10:13 drive in the 4th quarter (again, wow!)...

This is something that this team can build upon...

D Rock
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
And against a very good defense, albeit one without Revis Island. But overall, the Jets defense which has given us problems for the past few years was not a problem today.

Flasteel
09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
We are putting together a lot of sustained drives in this new offense. Most of that is Ben playing out of his mind on 3rd down, but we are creating a lot of manageable situations as well. Not much out of the running game, but Ben is really spreading it around and targeting a lot more short and intermediate routes. That also seems to be really helping out the pass protection so far.

The offense is clearly going through number 7 right now and seems to be responding quite well.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't know the stats, but I have a feeling that we face an awful lot of 3rd and longs we lean on Ben hard to get us out of. I'd feel better if we got our first down a play or two earlier, a little more often!

NorthCoast
09-16-2012, 10:42 PM
...really came alive today in the last 2 and a half quarters...

Between the big plays by Ben, the long TD by Wallace, the tough, tough catches by Cotchery, Sanders and Brown (Wow!) and the way that Dwyer and Redman came on in the 2nd half, culminating in a 14 play, 10:13 drive in the 4th quarter (again, wow!)...

This is something that this team can build upon...

On the other hand, I have never seen a WR lay down after a catch like Wallace does.

Haley really changed things up this week. Last week the Steelers ran the ball out of 3 and 4 WR sets about half the time. Not so this week. Most runs looked like they were 2 WR, 2 TEs or even single WR sets.
Steelers may end up setting some TOP records this season with the kind of O they are running. A 10 min. drive in the 3rd quarter?!?!?!! are you kidding me?!! That's certainly one way to keep the 'aged' defense off the field.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
On the other hand, I have never seen a WR lay down after a catch like Wallace does.

Haley really changed things up this week. Last week the Steelers ran the ball out of 3 and 4 WR sets about half the time. Not so this week. Most runs looked like they were 2 WR, 2 TEs or even single WR sets.
Steelers may end up setting some TOP records this season with the kind of O they are running. A 10 min. drive in the 3rd quarter?!?!?!! are you kidding me?!! That's certainly one way to keep the 'aged' defense off the field.

Just proves what an Offensive Coord can do. Haley is great add.

papillon
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes, all of this is true, however, the offense still appears to be laboring to me and maybe, that's because there always seems to be a 3rd and 5 or greater that needs to be converted to sustain a drive. The fact that we are converting those 3rds into firsts is good. The offense still isn't rushing the ball worth a darn either at some point leaning on Ben (similar to the Bronco game) will not be good enough. They have got to find a way to rush the effectively and efficiently, continuing to wait for Ben to make a play is a recipe for disaster. One mistake by Ben and the Steelers lose in that scenario and that played in Denver. The offense relied on him so much that one mistake cost the Steelers the game. Unfortunately, with Ben's style of play you're almost guaranteed that mistake regularly.

This week they weren't nearly as efficient on 3rd down as last (only 53% this week), fortunately, the Jets converted only 33% of 3rds into firsts. Special teams have been as asset up to this point as well and in particular Suisham. Red Zone percentage was 66% and Goal to go was 100% that is a beautiful thing.

Rushing the football will make this offense very, very good and is a necessity, IMO to compete in the playoffs should they make it into the playoffs.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
This is week 2 of live action. I think they will continue to get better as they get used to the offense and Haley gets used to what he has in his arsenal.

Slapstick
09-17-2012, 09:12 AM
This is week 2 of live action. I think they will continue to get better as they get used to the offense and Haley gets used to what he has in his arsenal.

There were 28 rushing attempts and 31 passing attempts...

If the Steelers continue to run persistently, the yards will come...

flippy
09-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes, all of this is true, however, the offense still appears to be laboring to me and maybe, that's because there always seems to be a 3rd and 5 or greater that needs to be converted to sustain a drive. The fact that we are converting those 3rds into firsts is good. The offense still isn't rushing the ball worth a darn either at some point leaning on Ben (similar to the Bronco game) will not be good enough. They have got to find a way to rush the effectively and efficiently, continuing to wait for Ben to make a play is a recipe for disaster. One mistake by Ben and the Steelers lose in that scenario and that played in Denver. The offense relied on him so much that one mistake cost the Steelers the game. Unfortunately, with Ben's style of play you're almost guaranteed that mistake regularly.

This week they weren't nearly as efficient on 3rd down as last (only 53% this week), fortunately, the Jets converted only 33% of 3rds into firsts. Special teams have been as asset up to this point as well and in particular Suisham. Red Zone percentage was 66% and Goal to go was 100% that is a beautiful thing.

Rushing the football will make this offense very, very good and is a necessity, IMO to compete in the playoffs should they make it into the playoffs.

Pappy

I'm with Pappy here. Too much is on Ben converting 3rd downs. He's on pace for being sacked 64 times this year and we're all seeing him escape even more pressure and sacks like Houdini.

This OLine is a joke. The only guy I don't see getting consistently pushed around is Max Starks.

Ben also doesn't always help himself, letting the clock get so close to 0 on every snap. Why not change something up? I used to think it was BA. But he's gone and we still snap as the clock winds close to 0.

The one positive is Haley seems to be trying to create a system to take pressure off Ben.

But at the end of the day, Ben and the RBs are consistently getting hit in the backfield. When is that going to stop?

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm with Pappy here. Too much is on Ben converting 3rd downs. He's on pace for being sacked 64 times this year and we're all seeing him escape even more pressure and sacks like Houdini.

This OLine is a joke. The only guy I don't see getting consistently pushed around is Max Starks.

Ben also doesn't always help himself, letting the clock get so close to 0 on every snap. Why not change something up? I used to think it was BA. But he's gone and we still snap as the clock winds close to 0.

The one positive is Haley seems to be trying to create a system to take pressure off Ben.

But at the end of the day, Ben and the RBs are consistently getting hit in the backfield. When is that going to stop?

Unfortunately the OL is what the OL is and that won't change this year for the better. The key is we now have an OC that seems willing to recognize that shortcoming and call plays that will keep Ben healthy versus following the same old thing that Arians did trying to force the vertical attack. There were still about half a dozen plays I saw yesterday where Ben passed on the easy dump off to go to a WR with the more difficult throw. Ben has to change too.

What has impressed me is Dwyer's ability to "leak" out of the backfield and find an open space. Watch the rerun. He seems very good at it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
The Steelers opened the game moving the ball as well. Their first two drives were 53 and 45 yards respectively and both led to FGs. Unfortunately, that led us to the same problem we had last season.........we would move the ball but not get into the EZ often enough. That changed with 3 TDs later on, but that is the issue for this offense. Haley, Arians, doesn't matter if the O shoots itself in the foot every time they get to the red zone.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Steelers Roethlisberger Best 3rd Down QB In NFL So Far In 2012

Sep 18th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/09/6587030.jpg?69fa8c

Remember last season when it seemed like the Steelers were pretty terrible on 3rd down? I remember a Bruce Arians’ offense running plays that never really put receivers ‘beyond the sticks’ or running Mendenhall straight up the gut for no gain on a short 3rd down. Well so far in 2012, the Steelers are very good on 3rd down. In fact, Ben Roethlisberger has the best passer rating in the league when it comes to 3rd down. And, it’s not likely to change any time in the near future.

The Steelers are a whopping 19 of 34 (56%) on 3rd downs this season. Ben Roethlisberger has been lethal on 3rd downs – he is 19-for-25 (76 percent) for 251 yards and three touchdowns. That’s a rating of 146.8. Now I’ve never been a fan of ‘passer rating’ figures, but the proof is in the pudding as it were. Did any of you notice that all of the Steelers successful 3rd down conversions have come from Big Ben passing the ball? Why is it that Ben is so successful on 3rd down early on this season?

First, let me throw out there (pun intended? You be the judge) that the majority of the Steelers’ 3rd downs have been over 5 yards. Ineffective running on second down has left the team in long third down situations – which makes Ben’s efficiency on 3rd down that much more impressive.

The Crisco Kid: Roethlisberger has slipped his way out of more would be sacks than a skinny kid slicked up with Crisco. Leg grabs, jersey pulls, shoulder grabs – Ben has slipped through many of them and scrambled out of the pocket. It’s almost as if somehow he has stepped up this part of his game if you can even think that possible. With his Spidey Senses tingling, Ben scrambles out of the pocket on third down and extends the play. Even though the Steelers line is struggling, they’ve only given up four sacks in two games. Now that may seem like a lot, but not for the Steelers. Less sacks = a better chance at converting 3rd down.

Great vision and fast receivers: It’s one thing to be able to escape the pass rush and run for your life the sidelines. But, to be able to find an open receiver after having emerged from a 3,000lb. wall collapsing around you is harder than it looks. Ben is able to find an open black and gold jersey and hit him for a first down. It also helps to have guys like Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders as your receivers. Their speed makes it difficult for the secondary to keep up with them once the pocket begins to break down. It also gives more room for Heath Miller, who’s been a favorite of Ben so far this season.

Haley’s play calling: You may be able to scramble and you might have good vision, but if your offensive coordinator doesn’t call plays that at least gets players beyond the first down marker then you’ll have as much a chance of converting third down than hillbillies have as much chance of being called sons of the soil. Haley’s third downs are scripted to spread defenses and find holes in the zones. Not every play is a stroke of genius, but I think he’s using the KISS rule when it comes 3rd down play calling.

The high conversion rate for the Steelers in general aids their time of possession. The Steelers have out possessed the football 71:00 to 41:00. That’s a full half of football. Astounding in my opinion. That stat there keeps the other team’s defense on the field, thus tiring them out. Did you notice all the poor tackling going on near the end of the game by the Jets? Fatigue, folks. It also keeps our aged defense off the field and refreshed.

Now if only the offense can translate all these third downs and time of possession into points – I’ll hit that tomorrow.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/09/18/steelers-roethlisberger-best-3rd-down-qb-in-nfl-so-far-in-2012/

stopplayn
09-20-2012, 04:23 AM
The offense is still inconsistent. We as fans are HAPPY when guys like Reavis are out. Pats fans could care less if he plays or not. Thats because they have Brady, a consistently elite qb. Ben is not consistent. Ben is in his 9th season and all we can do is blame Arians, The line etc for his shortcomings. It seems that Peyton Manning had a horrible line (See that same line after he was absent). Arians is with Luck (A rookie). Is their offense lethargic? inconsistent? Oft sacked? I say no to all of the above.

If Arians is so bad as it is always alleged on Steelers sites, then how come he isnt having similar results in Indy? I'll tell you why. Because the problem isnt Arians. Its Ben. Its not the line. Its Ben.

There was a sack problem under Wiz, Arian and Haley. However, the sack problem didnt follow Wiz and Arians to Arizona, Kc and Indy. Nor did the sack problem follow Wiz. Wherever Ben goes there is a sack problem. Perhaps the problem is that Ben doesnt process the information quite fast enough and THATS what causes the sacks. Hmmmm

stopplayn
09-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Oh and sorry if I dont give our qb credit for "extending the play" and "throwing would be sackers" off of him. WHY would I want my qb to do that? How long would he last? I want my qb to be smart. I want him taking less hits and not more. I'll take a smart qb over a TOUGH one any day. Have you guys even thought about what Ben Roethlisberger will play liike as a 12-13 year vet with all the sacks on his body? How long can he run around and "extend the play".

Ben needs to do better at the line. That way he will know where he is throwing the ball PRE SNAP and this will enable him to get the ball out quick and save him from all of the needless hits

DBR96A
09-20-2012, 06:12 AM
^^^ I'm with stupid ^^^

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Oh and sorry if I dont give our qb credit for "extending the play" and "throwing would be sackers" off of him. WHY would I want my qb to do that? How long would he last? I want my qb to be smart. I want him taking less hits and not more. I'll take a smart qb over a TOUGH one any day. Have you guys even thought about what Ben Roethlisberger will play liike as a 12-13 year vet with all the sacks on his body? How long can he run around and "extend the play".

Ben needs to do better at the line. That way he will know where he is throwing the ball PRE SNAP and this will enable him to get the ball out quick and save him from all of the needless hits

It is Ben being Ben. It is an instinctive response he needs to get over. If you have the ability to rewatch the last game there are half a dozen plays where Ben had an easy dump off to a player short and he kept looking down the field.

I'm not worried about the offense because I have seen more to be optuimistic about in terms of playcalling after just two "live fire" games than the past two years from Arians. Barring injuries, this offense will be humming along at a high level by play off time.

stopplayn
09-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Again, blaming Arians. Arians calls his play before he sees what defense the opposition will be in. However, the quarterback can see the shell of the defense and its up to HIM to change the play if need be (Ala, Mannings, Brady, Brees, Rivers). Do you think a OC could hold Peyton Manning hostage? Rodgers?. No way. Rookies NEED offensive coordinators. Elite qbs are in fact offensive coordinators on the field.

Slapstick
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Again, blaming Arians. Arians calls his play before he sees what defense the opposition will be in. However, the quarterback can see the shell of the defense and its up to HIM to change the play if need be (Ala, Mannings, Brady, Brees, Rivers). Do you think a OC could hold Peyton Manning hostage? Rodgers?. No way. Rookies NEED offensive coordinators. Elite qbs are in fact offensive coordinators on the field.

Ben does audible. If he trusted Arians enough not to audible, then I'm doubly glad Haley is here...

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 09:35 AM

I was never an Arians basher so get your facts straight. Arians brought this offense out of the Stone Age and got them to where they could compete with the high powered offenses now in the NFL. However, Arians took this as far as he could because he would not recognize the weaknesses on the offense and adjust. He had one way of playing emphasizing the vertical attack through the air and that is the template he put out there every game even though we had an OL that was totally unsuited for that. He never delivered on his promise of getting TEs more involved in the game except for one year with Miller but other TEs who were wide open were ignored. The RB as a receiver was largely ignored.

I never characterized Arians as a villain and if you had been around you would know that many times I argued that he took way too much of the blame for team failures. I do think Arians had reached his "sell by" date and a change was necessary but I also said that about LeBeau. New insights and perspectuives are rarely ever bad.

phillyesq
09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I was never an Arians basher so get your facts straight. Arians brought this offense out of the Stone Age and got them to where they could compete with the high powered offenses now in the NFL.

I'd actually give Whiz credit for that. During the SB season, you saw the Steelers use the pass to set up the run. Establishing an effective passing offense with Cedrick Wilson as a starting WR was quite an accomplishment.

ikestops85
09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd actually give Whiz credit for that. During the SB season, you saw the Steelers use the pass to set up the run. Establishing an effective passing offense with Cedrick Wilson as a starting WR was quite an accomplishment.

I would never say Arians brought the Steeler offense out of the stone age. I was never an Arian fan but I wasn't a big basher either. I just thought he never got what he could out of the talent he had on offense. I wasn't a big Whiz fan either but he did seem to get the most out of his players. He brought the Steelers offense out of the stone age.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Haley's offense. It seems to have evolved after the 1st half against the broncos. Ben seems to have a lot of options when he throws which is why so many different receivers are catching the ball. I hope it continues.

NW Steeler
09-20-2012, 02:54 PM

The next tackle that Wallace breaks will be the first of his career.