PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison WILL NOT Play Sunday; Troy May Not too

Oviedo
09-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Posted by Bouchette just after Midnight

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-james-harrison-will-not-play-sunday-653312/

As many have said, I think we are watching the end of James Harrison as a star player. he may hang on for another year but it's looking like he is done as an elite player. Woodley much do must better than he did last Sunday night to make up for this loss.

phillyesq
09-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Even against the Jets, I'm going to be worried if both James and Troy don't suit up.

feltdizz
09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Posted by Bouchette just after Midnight

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-james-harrison-will-not-play-sunday-653312/

As many have said, I think we are watching the end of James Harrison as a star player. he may hang on for another year but it's looking like he is done as an elite player. Woodley much do must better than he did last Sunday night to make up for this loss.

Woodley can't make up for Harrison's loss...

Maybe Sapp was right? lol...

SidSmythe
09-14-2012, 09:38 AM
ESPN.com is reporting that Harrison IS PLAYING

papillon
09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
If Troy can't go, how do the Steelers line up at safety this week? Mundy and Clark? Does Golden get playing time?

Pappy

Slapstick
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
If Troy can't go, how do the Steelers line up at safety this week? Mundy and Clark? Does Golden get playing time?

Pappy

I would guess Mundy and Clark...Mundy would be SS, which is a better position for him...

Golden or Will Allen would take Mundy's place in sub packages...

Oviedo
09-14-2012, 09:56 AM
ESPN.com is reporting that Harrison IS PLAYING

ESPN or Bouchette? Will be interesting to see who has it right. Maybe it is a deliberate fake out for the Jets.

My bet is that Harrison does not lay until after the bye week.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this will be an ongoing discussion throughout the season WRT JH?

BigRob
09-14-2012, 12:14 PM
James has already been quoted as saying "I've been known to lie". He is not playing

williar
09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't expect to see JH until after the bye.

SteelBucks
09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm more concerned about Troy not playing.

BigRob
09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm more concerned about Troy not playing.

Mundy is more of a strong safety, I think they will be fine if troy sits this one out as long as Clark plays.

Vindrow
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Troy will play....heard that his injury is minor.

lloydroid
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Troy will play....heard that his injury is minor.

It just came out again that TP won't be playing. Another F____G calf injury? WTF?

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2012, 05:33 PM
It just came out again that TP won't be playing. Another F____G calf injury? WTF?

I used to own a Fiat that broke down less than Troy does...

Shawn
09-15-2012, 12:33 AM

Pappy

As much as I like Golden, I don't believe he is ready. I do believe Golden will be a starter for us someday in the near future.

squidkid
09-15-2012, 08:38 AM
why didnt harrison take care of the knee after the denver playoff loss instead of waiting until the start of this season?

hawaiiansteel
09-17-2012, 11:27 PM
No Harrison? No Polamalu? No problems for Steelers

BY F. DALE LOLLEY

PITTSBURGH – Missing former NFL defensive players of the year Troy Polamalu and James Harrison for their game against the New York Jets, the Steelers felt their best defense was a good offense.

That proved to be the case as Pittsburgh played keep away throughout the second half of Sunday’s game at Heinz Field, grounding the Jets in a 27-10 victory.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 24 of 31 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns, and his counterpart, Mark Sanchez, was just 10 of 27 for 138 yards and a score. The Steelers won their 10th consecutive home opener, the longest current streak in the NFL.

“It was an appropriate response to last week’s performance,” said head coach Mike Tomlin, referring to the Steelers’ 31-19 loss at Denver to open the regular season.

“We talked openly about it this week. That’s what good football teams do in the National Football League. They might not always be perfect, but they respond.”

With the win, the Steelers (1-1), who outgained the Jets, 331-219, find themselves tied with Baltimore and Cincinnati atop the AFC North standings. Baltimore lost at Philadelphia, while Cincinnati slipped past Cleveland at home.

“You don’t want to have back-to-back losses in this league, especially with Baltimore losing,” said Steelers linebacker Larry Foote. “Things are banged up in our division. You always want to win at home, and we did that.” Not that the Jets (1-1) made it easy – at least early on.

Sanchez threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to former Steelers star Santonio Holmes on New York’s opening possession, then led the Jets on a 12-play field goal drive the second time they had the ball to put New York ahead, 10-6, midway through the second quarter.

But the Steelers, who had settled for a pair of 45-yard field goals by Shaun Suisham to that point, didn’t allow another score after that and controlled the game with their offense taking large chunks of time off the clock.

“We couldn’t get off the field on third down and we couldn’t stay on the field on third down,” said Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “(Roethlisberger) had a 125 (passer) rating and over 36 minutes with time of possession. ... I thought the game started off well; I knew it was going to be a tough game, but the thirdand- 16 killed us. That was a back-breaker.”

That play came early in the third quarter with the Steelers leading 13-10 after Roethlisberger threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Heath Miller at the end of the first half.

Facing third-and-16 from the New York 37, Roethlisberger avoided the Jets blitz, stepped up in the pocket and lofted a high-arcing pass toward Mike Wallace in the front corner of the end zone.

Wallace, who was shadowed by cornerback Antonio Cromartie throughout the game, made an adjustment and came back for the ball, which was slightly underthrown. He leaped in the air and kept both feet in bounds as Cromartie pushed him to the ground.

“I knew Mike was streaking down the field one-onone,” said Roethlisberger. “I knew they were running next to each other. I wanted to throw it up and let my guy make a play. You figure if it is intercepted, it is going to be a touchback, or Mike tackles them and it ends up as good as a punt.”

Instead, the Steelers took a 20-10 lead.

The Steelers then put the Jets away in the fourth quarter with a 14-play, 75-yard drive that took 10:13 off the clock and ended with a 2-yard touchdown run by Issac Redman.

Pittsburgh’s rushing attack, which had been bottled up to that point, gained 36 yards on eight attempts as Redman and Jonathan Dwyer took turns battering New York’s defensive front.

“We thought going into the game that we could have some success on the edge, but that didn’t work out,” said Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks of the Steelers, who finished with 66 yards rushing. “But we adjusted at halftime and started running the ball right at them.”

That allowed a defense missing two of its biggest stars to stand and watch on the sideline.

“We’re at our best when we’re on our bench,” said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel. “We’ll take that all day. They had some big drives in each quarter. I’m proud of those guys. They’re playing good, and I think we’re running the ball fairly effectively, and Ben made some magical things happen. He got out of some jams like only Ben does. He’s a great player, and it was a good team win.”

Odds and end zones

LaMarr Woodley and Cameron Heyward recorded sacks for the Steelers. ... Safety Ryan Clark, who sat out against Denver, led the Steelers with eight tackles. ... Holmes finished with three receptions for 28 yards, despite being thrown at 11 times. He did draw four penalties on Pittsburgh cornerbacks for defensive holding or pass interference. ... Roethlisberger joined Terry Bradshaw as the second Steelers player to surpass 27,000 yards passing on his TD pass to Wallace. Roethlisberger now has 27,099 career yards. ... Wallace finished with five receptions for 74 yards, while Antonio Brown had seven for 79.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/09-17-2012-Steelers-Jets

papillon
09-18-2012, 12:57 AM
I think I'd roll the dice this week against the Raiders and keep Harrison and Polamalu where they were against the Jets and that's on the bench. With the bye week following this game, Polamalu would in effect have a three week layoff to get better and another couple weeks for Harrison would be good as well. Palmer is playing poorly and I believe the offense can carry the show for another week.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I think I'd roll the dice this week against the Raiders and keep Harrison and Polamalu where they were against the Jets and that's on the bench. With the bye week following this game, Polamalu would in effect have a three week layoff to get better and another couple weeks for Harrison would be good as well. Palmer is playing poorly and I believe the offense can carry the show for another week.

Pappy

I don't think that will be an issue. I doubt either is ready to go

fordfixer
09-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Harrison, Polamalu still questionable for Steelers
By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/harrison-polamalu-still-questionable-steelers-182438694--nfl.html;_ylt=AnWe5ehz6gx.uthzEnAn9mFDubYF;_ylu=X3 oDMTRtNWpwMGVtBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBsaXN0IE5GTCBo ZWFkbGluZXMEcGtnAzYxZWZhZTAzLTU2ZWUtMzlkMS05ZmZlLW NmYWI1YjE2NjFkOARwb3MDNgRzZWMDTWVkaWFCTGlzdE1peGVk TFBDQVRlbXAEdmVyAzM0MjUxMTEwLTAxZTEtMTFlMi1hZGZiLT FlNTg2MWRkOGZmYQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZHY1MWJpBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuZmwEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Mike Tomlin still isn't sure when injured defensive stars James Harrison or Troy Polamalu are going to be healthy enough to play.

The Pittsburgh Steelers coach isn't against amending one of his longtime rules either, if it means one or both of his perennial All-Pros will be on the field in Oakland on Sunday.

Harrison, who is recovering from right knee surgery, and Polamalu, who is dealing with a strained right calf, will have informal workouts this week.

Tomlin hinted Tuesday that neither veteran would have to practice to face the Raiders (0-2). Traditionally Tomlin likes his players to get at least one day of training in during the week leading up to a game before letting them loose on Sunday.

He's willing to make an exception, however, for two cornerstones of Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.

''I handle all of those situations really on a case-by-case basis,'' Tomlin said, ''with the understanding that the younger you are, the more inexperienced you are, the more practices are necessary before I consider utilizing you.''

Meaning the well-established Harrison or Polamalu might not have to see the practice field. Harrison hasn't played since a playoff loss in Denver nine months ago, while Polamalu's calf didn't respond quickly to treatment last week after sustaining the injury in a season-opening loss to the Broncos.

The duo was hardly needed in a 27-10 romp over the New York Jets on Sunday. The Steelers (1-1) shut down New York in the second half, holding the Jets to just 91 yards over the final two quarters to win going away.

Tomlin insisted, however, his team was far from perfect. Pittsburgh struggled to run the ball, finishing with just 66 yards on 28 carries. Through two weeks, the Steelers are ranked 30th in the league in rushing yards.

While he was pleased the Steelers were able to run effectively on a game-clinching fourth-quarter touchdown drive, Tomlin believes there's more work to be done.

''That's not what I'm looking for,'' he said. ''I'm actually looking for better than that.''

Help could come in Oakland. Running back Rashard Mendenhall is inching closer to returning after January surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee. Mendenhall has practiced in each of the last two weeks and could see an even heavier workload in the next few days.

''Maybe we will bump him around a little more in practice this week,'' Tomlin said. ''He has done a nice job of running and cutting at full speed. Now, let's see if he can play a little football.''

The Steelers may need Mendenhall sooner rather than later now that backup Jonathan Dwyer is dealing with turf toe. Dwyer has been a pleasant surprise through two games, providing what little spark the running game has seen and proving to be nimble catching passes out of the backfield.

fordfixer
09-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Steelers' Harrison and Polamalu will be evaluated daily
September 18, 2012 12:47 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-harrison-and-polamalu-will-be-evaluated-daily-653871/

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Neither James Harrison nor Troy Polamalu practiced or played last week, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today the team will take the same approach this week with their injuries.

Tomlin said Harrison, who has a knee injury, and Polamalu, out with a calf injury, will be evaluated day to day when practices resume on Wednesday.

He added others to the injury list this week, saying all could be limited in early practices: Heath Miller (ribs), Marcus Gilbert (groin) and Jonathan Dwyer (toe).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-harrison-and-polamalu-will-be-evaluated-daily-653871/#ixzz26t4FW66H

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
The Steelers had a lot of potential starters out of practice Wednesday.

The full list: RB Jonathan Dwyer (toe), T Marcus Gilbert (groin), LB James Harrison (knee), TE Heath Miller (abdomen), S Troy Polamalu (calf), WR Emmanuel Sanders (knee), and WR Mike Wallace (groin).

We'd be surprised if Harrison or Polamalu play this week.

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000064109/week-3-injuries-you-need-to-know/

winwithd
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Looks like the Bye Week is coming around just in time.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
The Steelers had a lot of potential starters out of practice Wednesday.

The full list: RB Jonathan Dwyer (toe), T Marcus Gilbert (groin), LB James Harrison (knee), TE Heath Miller (abdomen), S Troy Polamalu (calf), WR Emmanuel Sanders (knee), and WR Mike Wallace (groin).

We'd be surprised if Harrison or Polamalu play this week.

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000064109/week-3-injuries-you-need-to-know/

If Manny and Wallace can't go, we'll need to make a roster move, because we can't play a game with just Brown and Cotchery at WR (Rainey could fill in in the slot, I suppose, but 2 WR injuries when we only have 4 on the 53 man roster is scary).

Oviedo
09-20-2012, 11:01 AM
If Manny and Wallace can't go, we'll need to make a roster move, because we can't play a game with just Brown and Cotchery at WR (Rainey could fill in in the slot, I suppose, but 2 WR injuries when we only have 4 on the 53 man roster is scary).

I bet Rainey is getting a crash course on running plays from the slot.

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Steelers Plan To Hold Dinged Starters Out Until Week 5

September 20
by The Sports Xchange

The Steelers have a plan when to play all of their injured players and it involves their early bye in the fourth week of the season.

The plan is that none of their questionable players will play until they return for the fifth week, when they resume with a game against Philadelphia Oct. 7 at home. That is when James Harrison, Troy Polamalu, Rashard Mendenhall and one or two others who have been out are most likely to return.

Harrison and Polamalu missed another practice on Thursday and will not play in Oakland Sunday. Harrison has yet to play in a game, either regular season or preseason. This will be the second game that Polamalu misses. Harrison had his knee scoped Aug. 15 and it has not responded as they had hoped. Polamalu came out of the first game with a strained calf.

Mendenhall has gone through full practices the past three weeks as he comes back from a January 1 torn ACL. He has done well and he started to get some contact in practice Wednesday in pads.

Mendenhall promises that when he returns to play he will be the same runner he was before the injury.

"Just this whole process, rehabbing, going through it and taking it day by day," Mendenhall reasoned. "I'm preparing to get back to that level and nothing else. That's what my focus is."

The Steelers also could get their top backup inside linebacker, Stevenson Sylvester, back after the bye. He tore his MCL in practice before the second preseason game and has not played.

The Steelers lost rookie linebacker Sean Spence for the season to a torn ACL in the preseason. That's been an inordinate amount of injuries for the linebackers already in 2012.

"It's the game of football," Sylvester said. "The linebacker position is hard, it's hard to get away from the injuries. This year we got it a little bit but we're making a comeback."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_plan_to_hold_dinged_starters_out_until_we ek_5/11768758

Eich
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Mendenhall promises that when he returns to play he will be the same runner he was before the injury.

"Just this whole process, rehabbing, going through it and taking it day by day," Mendenhall reasoned. "I'm preparing to get back to that level and nothing else. That's what my focus is."

Well crap! I was hoping that he was planning to improve over what he was before !

SteelBucks
09-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Both practiced on Thursday, so I'm expecting them to play. I'm a little concerned about Heath....usually if you don't practice on Thursday, you sit on Sunday.

Oviedo
09-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Well crap! I was hoping that he was planning to improve over what he was before !

That's only because you have the same unrealistic expectations. I suppose you want more of Issac Redman's 2.0 yards per carry?????

squidkid
09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
harrison has to be cut at the end of the season or cut and resigned at a very low offer with incentives.

Slapstick
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
harrison has to be cut at the end of the season or cut and resigned at a very low offer with incentives.

Why? Many players have missed more time than James...

BigRob
09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Why? Many players have missed more time than James...

Uh, Cause he's falling apart now at his age? He just isn't going to be healthy going forward. Age, Inuries, our major cap issues and a flat salary cap for next year pretty much explain why.

Slapstick
09-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Uh, Cause he's falling apart now at his age? He just isn't going to be healthy going forward. Age, Inuries, our major cap issues and a flat salary cap for next year pretty much explain why.

Since when is a knee injury "falling apart"?

squidkid
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM

back issues last year.
why didnt he have his knee scoped after the denver loss in the playoffs? i wonder how much this guy wants to play anymore?

lloydroid
09-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Because the knee injury is just the LATEST injury. Prior to that, he had a bad back, neck, shoulder, elbow - he is falling apart, in case you didn't notice.

BigRob
09-21-2012, 01:39 PM

Back surgery, Knee surgery, Orbital Bone surgery. You think at 34 years of age and playing a violent game he is just going to magically stop getting injured? Please.

BigRob
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Too old, too injured, too much money tied up in him. He's going to get Joey Porter'd after this year the more we win without him.

Oviedo
09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Too old, too injured, too much money tied up in him. He's going to get Joey Porter'd after this year the more we win without him.

And I guarantee we get more of "the sky if falling" when Harrison is not kept just like when Porter wasn't. We will hear all about "the emotional leader" of the defense and how the defense has no intimidation. Like I have said many times, eventually they all become a replaceable carbon unit.

Oviedo
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Per the Post Gazette:

Troy, Harrison and Mendy will all miss the Raiders game.

Heath Miller practiced today and wil play Sunday.

Slapstick
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
back issues last year.

How many games did James Harrison miss due to the back problems that everyone keeps talking about?

Zero...

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Good news for Steelers

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

It appears that both James Harrison and Troy Polamalu will be back on the field for the Steelers when they return to action against the Philadelphia Eagles.

That's good news for a defense that has been cheesy soft on the road.

There has been some question as to how much Harrison can help this team because of his health.

Remember, this is a guy who started last season at about 50 percent due to two offseason back surgeries.

Harrison on one leg is better than 75 percent of the pass rushers out there.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
bad news for the Steelers. I'm really starting to wonder if James Harrison has played his last down for us...

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette:

LB James Harrison left #steelers facility in street clothes before practice. Not a good sign
26 Sep 12

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

fordfixer
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
bad news for the Steelers. I'm really starting to wonder if James Harrison has played his last down for us...

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette:

LB James Harrison left #steelers facility in street clothes before practice. Not a good sign
26 Sep 12

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Great:HeadBanger:HeadBanger:HeadBanger:HeadBanger

squidkid
09-26-2012, 03:37 PM
smart move for harrison to hide the injury for this long so he could make the team this year and collect that big check

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
smart move for harrison to hide the injury for this long so he could make the team this year and collect that big check

What was he hiding? The team knew the injury was there throughout OTA's, minicamps, training camp, and the preseason. The team, aware of this injury all along, could have cut him when we had to get the roster down to 53.

BigRob
09-26-2012, 03:53 PM
How many games did James Harrison miss due to the back problems that everyone keeps talking about?

Zero...

See above, he's done. He is starting to fall apart. I.E. Marvel Smith. Its time to move on from James Harrison as an every game reliable starter. He will not be back next year at his current salary. He will get cut and they will hope to sign him back to a very small contract for one more year.

Oviedo
09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
See above, he's done. He is starting to fall apart. I.E. Marvel Smith. Its time to move on from James Harrison as an every game reliable starter. He will not be back next year at his current salary. He will get cut and they will hope to sign him back to a very small contract for one more year.

Seems like we are moving in that direction. We set a 21 year low in sacks last year. Looks like we will be going in that direction again.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2012, 05:30 PM
James Harrison Leaves Practice, Knee Is 'Bothering Him,' According to Source

By Neal Coolong ON SEP 26, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/94831/128801847_standard_1348690761_500.jpg

Injured Steelers linebacker misses the team's last practice before the bye week.

Post-Gazette reporter Ed Bouchette reported (via. Jamison Hensely of ESPN) Steelers outside linebacker left the south side facility this afternoon without practicing, and a source told Bouchette his knee is "bothering him."

Harrison had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Aug. 15, and has barely practiced since. He did do some work before Pittsburgh's Week 1 game at Denver, but was ruled inactive for that game as well as those in Weeks 2 and 3.

How much any of this means is suspect. The Steelers don't play this weekend, and it would seem strange they would trot Harrison out for a full workout before giving the players four days off for their bye week.

His absence, though, has been a big factor in the Steelers' 1-2 start. There's some improvement starting to show from Chris Carter and Jason Worilds, but with teams attacking the Steelers in the flats and short curls - right around where Harrison's physical presence is best utilized - quarterbacks should expect their game plans to include a heavy dose of their shorter throws.

It's worked well for both Broncos QB Peyton Manning and Raiders QB Carson Palmer, who have gone a combined 43-for-60 (71.6 percent) for 455 yards and five touchdowns. The Steelers are 0-2, facing both of these quarterbacks on the road and surrendering 65 points.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/9/26/3413452/steelers-injury-report-bye-week-james-harrison

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Steelers' Polamalu feeling better at long last

September 29, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/272/807/troy-polamalu-at-practice_420.jpg

The pass sailed over the middle, intended for one of the scout team's receiver, and, with one flying motion toward the ball, this much became apparent about Troy Polamalu.

"It feels much better," Polamalu said.

The reference was to the calf Polamalu said he injured in practice the week leading up to the season opener in Denver, an injury that kept the seven-time Pro Bowl safety out of the past two games for the Steelers.

Polamalu, though, returned to practice Tuesday, worked both days with the first-team defense and said he is "optimistic" he will play when the Steelers return from their open week to play the Philadelphia Eagles Oct. 7 at Heinz Field.

Then he added, "As long as coach [Mike] Tomlin is optimistic."

How could he not be?

Polamalu's return -- both to the lineup and to health -- should help a defense that has not made many significant plays and also surrendered game-changing plays in losses in Denver and Oakland.

Against the Raiders, all Polamalu could do was watch from the sideline as his former college housemate, Carson Palmer, brought his team back from deficits of 24-14 and 31-21 in the second half.

"I think if you kind of individually watched a player in the game, you can say everybody [on the defense] played pretty good," Polamalu said. "But everybody was messing up on the wrong play, one play consistently. Eleven guys weren't doing their job together on every play. And the way we play defense, whether you get one breakdown in the front [seven] or the secondary, it's pretty obvious."

Why?

Polamalu said it's because the Steelers play so much man defense.

"We play so much more man-to-man than anybody else," Polamalu said. "All those fire zones [blitzes], those are man-to-man. Those aren't zone coverages."

The Steelers got caught in one of those fire-zone blitzes in Oakland when Palmer checked out of a pass play on Darren McFadden's 64-yard touchdown run -- the longest run against the Steelers in the Tomlin era.

It was the second long touchdown against the Steelers this season. In the 31-19 loss in Denver, the Broncos scored on a 71-yard catch-and-run by wide receiver Demaryius Thomas that turned the game around.

"Any of those close games, a play here, a play there, make a difference," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "We got to be the ones making those plays, which, in the two losses, we weren't."

Granted, Ryan Clark's interception on the first offensive play led to the first touchdown and a 7-0 lead against the Raiders.

But it not only was the only takeaway in the game, it also was the Steelers' only interception so far this season.

What's more, LeBeau is also bothered by the defense's decline in the second half of the losses against the Broncos and Raiders.

In Denver, the Broncos scored 24 of their 31 points, gained 208 of their 334 yards and had 11 of their 20 first downs in the second half. In Oakland, the Raiders scored 20 of their 34 points, gained 216 of their 321 yards and had 16 of their 21 first downs in the second half. What's more, Palmer converted 7 of 8 third-down chances in the second half.

"I wish I knew the answer to that because that's something we got to address," LeBeau said.

"We finished the [New York] Jets game, and it's our only win. If we finish the other two, we probably would have three wins. We're all aware of the problem and we're working on the corrections."

Having Polamalu back should help.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-polamalu-feeling-better-at-long-last-655428/#ixzz27sdG8Us8

fezziwig
09-30-2012, 11:28 AM
i'm glad he's feeling better but i'm just wondering if he reinjures the calf or what his next injury will be. you know its going to happen and it has always been that way with him even, when he was younger if i recall correctly.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Ed: Harrison Returns to Practice Today

MONDAY, 01 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Some better news for the Steelers today because James Harrison went through another full practice, his teammates said, and Troy Polamalu did as well.

The chances now exist that both Pro Bowlers could return to a defense that has been underperforming without them.

Harrison has not played yet because of a left knee injury that was scoped Aug. 15. He practiced last Tuesday but had “a little setback” and left the team’s facility on Wednesday without practicing.

He did not have much to say about it today after practice, but did acknowledge that it’s been a frustrating experience for him. Harrison did not do much in the spring, did nothing in training camp and has not played in a preseason or regular season game.
Today was only the third full practice he’s gone through this year.

Polamalu, who missed the past two games, went through both practices last week and again today.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118325-ed-harrison-returns-to-practice-today

pfelix73
10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like barring any setbacks, Harrison is playing against the Eagles. Saying on FB he's doin it...

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
James Harrison, Troy Polamalu practice on Monday
Posted by Josh Alper on October 1, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT

The Steelers got back to work on Monday and a pair of injured defensive starters were able to get on the field.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that linebacker James Harrison and safety Troy Polamalu participated in practice for the Steelers. The veterans have missed both of the team’s last two games — Harrison has missed all three — and the hope obviously is that the bye week provided them enough time to get healthy enough to play. Polamalu has been sidelined with a calf injury and said last week that he was hopeful about his chances of playing in Week Five.

Harrison’s agent said last week that his client had a setback in his recovery from the knee issue that has kept him out of action for over two months. He had surgery on Aug. 15 in hopes of helping him get back on the field, but it hasn’t happened so far. Harrison told Kaboly only that he was looking forward to the team’s annual fashion show on Friday, choosing to save comment on his health for his own Twitter account.

God willing, I will be playing Sunday against the eagles!

James Harrison (@jharrison9292) October 01, 2012

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin speaks to the media on Tuesday. His comments and future practices will let us know whether Harrison and Polamalu are able to get back into the lineup.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/01/james-harrison-troy-polamalu-practice-on-monday/

BigRob
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Looks like barring any setbacks, Harrison is playing against the Eagles. Saying on FB he's doin it...

Lets see if he practices on Wednesday. He's done this twice before and been unable to play.

fezziwig
10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I usually see Harrison's agent at the post office in the mornings but, I haven't in a while. I've been wanting to ask him some James questions.

Oviedo
10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Just posted on another site about Tomlin's Presser today

So, Tomlin was asked, is it safe to assume that Harrison, Mendenhall and Polamalu will play Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field?
“I think it’s a safe assessment,” said Tomlin. “We’re optimistic they’re going to be full participants.” At 1-2, the Steelers need the help, and those three, if healthy, should provide it.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Steelers to get back injured players

by Mark Kaboly

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fully anticipates having his entire team at his disposal for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Tomlin said that Rashard Mendenhall, James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are all expected to play against the Eagles.

Surely, the return of the trio will help the Steelers tremendously.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/4b2c7700-b14a-4bd3-bbf9-ff0135d8a0fc/?source=twitter

phillyesq
10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
As Mr. Peterman once said to Elaine, Chris Carter and Jason Worilds, "congratulations on a job ... done."

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Harrison, Polamalu, Mendenhall not on Steelers’ injury list

For the first time since training camp began, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ injury list doesn’t contain any Pro Bowl players.

Coach Mike Tomlin listed only right tackle Marcus Gilbert (groin) during his news conference Tuesday, omitting linebacker James Harrison (knee), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz288s70oFY

fezziwig
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Do you guys think Harrison and Troy will be in full form ? Marcus Gildbert seems like a glass house to me. Maybe it's just me noticing all the injuries but, it does seem like he gets his share of injuries.

phillyesq
10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you guys think Harrison and Troy will be in full form ? Marcus Gildbert seems like a glass house to me. Maybe it's just me noticing all the injuries but, it does seem like he gets his share of injuries.

He seems to get banged up an awful lot.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been saying from the beginning of the season that I don't think that at any point in the season that JH won't be a weekly injury question. I don't know why it is.....always coming back too soon, getting broken down from constantly taking on much bigger guys, or just the way he is built, but he is a constant nagging question who has teased us with returns way too many times to even take it seriously anymore until we see him on the field and performing.