PDA

View Full Version : Does Godell really hate us?

legend of polamalu
09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
I have this theory that Godell hates the Steelers and is a Patriot lover. This goes back to slapping the Patriot franchise on the wrist for cheating, sitting up in Pats owners box every other sunday, suspending Ben for 4 games (1 quarter of a year) and yet Ben has never been convicted of a crime. Yet thugs like Marshawn Lynch, K Britt, Donte Stallworth again barely get any punishments although they have actual charges filed, not once but several times.
Then I take a look at this years schedule (worst opening game for us would be at Dnv; No R Clark) Then lets give them Tebow and the jets and let them fly out west again to face the Raiders. We were also given the worst bye week (4) then get Philly as a reward after bye.
The Pats first few games and most of their schedule is a joke. Its an automatice 3-0 start. I know Godell must not sit there and make up the schedule himself but Im sure he has some input.

Just venting but I feel the Pats got away with cheating, other players get away with murder and the Steelers are Godells play toyz for punishments. I wish Godell would be ran out of this league. He may personally ruin the NFL by himself!

Discipline of Steel
09-13-2012, 05:48 PM
You are a legend in my book.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
You do realize that NFL schedules for all but 2 games are set up YEARS in advance, right? And those 2 extra games are set up so that teams that finished first in their division the previous season play 2 more first place teams, second place teams play 2 more second place teams, third place teams play 2 more third place teams, and last place teams play 2 more last place teams.

You can see for yourself who New England and the other AFC East teams will play (and where those games will be played) all the way up to the 2017 season right here: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afce.htm

And here is who Pittsburgh and the other AFC North teams will play (and where) up until 2017: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afcn.htm

You can blame Goodell for a lot of things, but strength of schedule is based on a fair rotation of opponents. We play our division rivals twice each year (once at home & once on the road). We play other opponents from our conference twice in a six year cycle (once at home & once on the road). We play opponents from the other conference twice in an eight year cycle (once at home & once on the road). It's simple formula that has been in place since the league went to eight divisions with four teams in each (it prevents scheduling quirks of the past like when we played Chiefs in K.C. something like 8 times in the row back in the Cowher era).

fordfixer
09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
We should of played Denver in Pittsburgh by that schedule

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
You do realize that NFL schedules for all but 2 games are set up YEARS in advance, right? And those 2 extra games are set up so that teams that finished first in their division the previous season play 2 more first place teams, second place teams play 2 more second place teams, third place teams play 2 more third place teams, and last place teams play 2 more last place teams.

You can see for yourself who New England and the other AFC East teams will play (and where those games will be played) all the way up to the 2017 season right here: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afce.htm

And here is who Pittsburgh and the other AFC North teams will play (and where) up until 2017: http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afcn.htm

You can blame Goodell for a lot of things, but strength of schedule is based on a fair rotation of opponents. We play our division rivals twice each year (once at home & once on the road). We play other opponents from our conference twice in a six year cycle (once at home & once on the road). We play opponents from the other conference twice in an eight year cycle (once at home & once on the road). It's simple formula that has been in place since the league went to eight divisions with four teams in each (it prevents scheduling quirks of the past like when we played Chiefs in K.C. something like 8 times in the row back in the Cowher era).

Yes, but you are not accounting for the 2 wk period the Jigawatt-mobile was gone missing, and unaccounted for. I think time will tell that Goodell stole it then, and DID (retroactively, in the future, in a way) make up the schedule to screw us. Of course we won't be able to prove it till 2019 ...

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
We should of played Denver in Pittsburgh by that schedule

I believe they made an adjustment re: the AFC West so that certain teams don't have to make 2 trips all the way out to the Pacific Coast (Oakland & San Diego) and the other teams have 2 trips only half way out West (K.C. & Denver). Looks like they split the CA teams up so that now teams make one long trip and one medium trip in those seasons when they play the AFC West (to Oakland & Denver or to San Diego & K.C.).

Discipline of Steel
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Scheduling aside, there are still a lot of reasons to believe Ol Rog doesnt like the Steelers. Im sure it doesnt bother him a bit that his efforts to legislate toughness and defense out of the NFL adversly affects the Steelers more so than any other team.

Djfan
09-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes. I hope that helps.

fordfixer
09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
I believe they made an adjustment re: the AFC West so that certain teams don't have to make 2 trips all the way out to the Pacific Coast (Oakland & San Diego) and the other teams have 2 trips only half way out West (K.C. & Denver). Looks like they split the CA teams up so that now teams make one long trip and one medium trip in those seasons when they play the AFC West (to Oakland & Denver or to San Diego & K.C.).
So when was the last time we played Denver in Pittsburgh?

tiproast
09-14-2012, 07:32 AM
I believe you're correct about the scheduling adjustment.

And while it's not my intent to throw gasoline on the fire, I think it was Bob Kraft that suggested that adjustment.

Oviedo
09-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe some of our players should keep their mouths shut and "Ol Rog" won't have a reason to look at them as a bunch of malcontents.

This notion that Goodell doesn't like us is ridiculous. The Steelers are one of the crown jewels in his portfolio. Big revenue makers with rabid fan base. He probably wishes that every franchise was as well run and embraced as ours. Goodell is a businessman and the Steelers are money to him, so this notion of "not liking" is crybaby stuff. Goodell has lots of issues but when it comes to making money he is on target and that is what the owners pay him for...the Rooney's included!

Goodell mades changes and if there is somebody who "doesn't like" it is the Steelers fans and their ultra-conservative views. Let's face it, we make ourselves as Steelers fans sound like the radical Muslim extremists of the NFL. No change no matter what. Football like it was in the beginning. People who want high scoring pass happy games with reduced hard hitting no matter the reasons are "infidels."

Bottonline for the NFL like the real world, the clock isn't going to get turned back to the "good old days." As Steeler fans, me included, we need to worry a lot less about Roger Goodell and a lot more about why our OL is always on the edge of collapse and our defense always gets picked apart by any decent QB. Time to embrace the NFL as it is and will continue to be and quit wishing and hoping for the clock to turn back.

Iron Shiek
09-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Speaking of scheduling, I don't think we can complain as much as the ravens. They have to play 4 games in 17 days. Opened on Monday, fourth game on thursday from what I read in an article. ThAt stinks. Good for us maybe they will be burned out.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Speaking of scheduling, I don't think we can complain as much as the ravens. They have to play 4 games in 17 days. Opened on Monday, fourth game on thursday from what I read in an article. ThAt stinks. Good for us maybe they will be burned out.

Three of those four games are at home, and all three of the home games happen to be in prime time (CIN was on MNF, NE is on SNF, and CLE is on TNF). At least the commish didn't listen to their annual whining about not wanting to play a prime time game in Pittsburgh, because their only remaining prime time affair after these three home September dates is at Heinz Field on November 18th on SNF.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2012, 06:59 PM
http://floppingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/goodell_harrison.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2012, 11:34 AM

If everyone plays on Thursday night, and everyone has a bye week, wouldn't it make sense to schedule the team's bye week for the week before the Thursday night game? That way they'd, play on a Sunday, then be off for a week-and-a-half before the Thursday night game, and then be off another week-and-a-half before their next Sunday game. Makes sense, right?

Ravens, Eagles will play four games in 17 days this season
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT

On Thursday’s Pro Football Talk, I pointed out the disconnect between safety and having every team play once this year on a Thursday, after playing on a Sunday.

Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com took that inconsistency to the next level (or two) on Friday, with a scathing rebuke of the league’s decision to play Thursday Night Football.

Whitlock points out that the Ravens are in the midst of a season-opening stretch of four games in 17 days. We checked the schedule for every team; the Eagles will do it, too, from November 26 (a Monday nighter against Carolina) through December 13 (a Thursday night game against the Bengals).

The Ravens actually have a bit of an advantage, since the Thursday night game, the Monday night game, and one of the Sunday games in between will be played at home. So the Ravens will have to travel only once, up I-95 to Philly.

The Eagles start their stretch on the Monday after Thanksgiving, and while the Monday and Thursday games will be played at home, the Eagles will go to Dallas and Tampa in between.

Regardless, Thursday Night Football is here to stay. While Whitlock suggests that a “smart lawyer” will attack the league at some point, the reality is that the smart lawyers from the NFL and NFLPA who hammered out the labor deal agreed to it. So it’s too late for the players to complain, and they definitely can’t sue (unless they want to sue the union, too).

Still, Whitlock’s broader point is a very good one. “What’s more dangerous,” he writes, “deeds or tough talk, a brutal schedule or a bounty system that rewards you for what you were going to do anyway?”

We’re glad someone else finally sees the largely-ignored debate lurking at the heart of the bounty case. If the allegations are true, Saints players were being offered money to do something they already were going to try to do anyway: Knock opponents out of the game with clean, legal hits. But now there’s a second debate that largely will be ignored — whether it makes sense to make every team play a game on three days’ rest, and whether it’s fair to have two of them play 25 percent of a four-month schedule in a 17-day window.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/ravens-eagles-will-play-four-games-in-17-days-this-season/