PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Problem?

flippy
09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
The sky has fallen. It's falling. We live in darkness any time the Steelers lose. It kills our collective psyche and morale. We suck as bad as the team sucks.

So how do we react? Be happy with the better days of the past? And see those better days in the future? Or sulk in the present.

This is a thread to get all the sulking in the present in one place. Let it all out. Let it be cathartic for you.

So who do you want to blame? I'll help get you started:

1. Owners - Are they old and out of touch? Are other teams using Twitter while we're using the Pony Express?

2. The Coaches - Are they old and/or out of touch? When's the last time Lebeau or Koogs have adequately adjusted to anything? Are we really adjusting to our players' strengths? Perhaps we need some more new perspective a la Haley to come in and change things up? Is Tomlin all hype and no substance?

3. The Players - Do any of them have strengths beyond a very select few?

4. The GM/Scouts - Are we bringing in the right players? Are we reaching for the wrong players because of a system issue? Are coaches unable to evaluate certain talent?

5. The Fans - Do we suck? Are our expectations too high and unachievable?

We sure seem to spend a lot of money on players. But how many of them truly dominate the game? Maybe 3 can be difference makers when healthy - Ben, Troy, Harrison. But beyond that, how many really make a mark on this team's success? Do we have enough guys out performing their contracts really?

Maybe that's Wally's beef. We're paying all these guys big bucks and what are we getting from them? Maybe Wally's working harder than many of these others on the team that are making way more money. That could be a cultural cancer.

Maybe the new guys just aren't as good as the old guys and the team is deteriorating from the inside out. And with the league changing so fast. And it being so easy for young players to come in a contribute right away. And we draft these first rounders that aren't making a huge impact many years down the line.

Have we all been hoodwinked by Mike Tomlin?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still bummed 3 days after a loss. I can't believe I'm still overreacting at this point. What has become of me as a fan?

Maybe now I can get back to reality and focus my attention on going 18-1 for the rest of this season. :smile:

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I think this is the root of the problem:

The team did not play well enough to win on Sunday night.

You're welcome!

pittpete
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
We will crush the Jets on Sunday and all will be well again
Guarantee it;)

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Fans overreact big time. It's one game, and it's a game that we had a legit chance to win with the ball in our QB's hands with 3 minutes to go and a TD to win...it's not as if it was a pathetic sloppy beatdown like we had in our opener against Baltimore last year (and we still came back from that embarrassment to go 12-3 the rest of the way).

Sulking/whining/bitching/moaning/sky-is-falling-attitudes after a loss on the road in a tough environment to play, against a team with a legit HoF QB, while missing major pieces like Harrison/Clark/Mendenhall, plus the right side of your line going down injured in the first quarter? Seriously? People need to have some perspective. And some faith in our team. News flash...they don't suck just because of one loss. Guess what...every other team that won a Super Bowl championship in the last 7 years is also 0-1 right now (the Giants, Packers, Saints, and Colts all lost too)...do the fans of those teams have psyches as fragile as many of our fans after a single loss (and NY, GB, and NO all lost at home too)? We'll be just fine. That is all.

Oviedo
09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Fans overreact big time. It's one game, and it's a game that we had a legit chance to win with the ball in our QB's hands with 3 minutes to go and a TD to win...it's not as if it was a pathetic sloppy beatdown like we had in our opener against Baltimore last year (and we still came back from that embarrassment to go 12-3 the rest of the way).

Sulking/whining/bitching/moaning/sky-is-falling-attitudes after a loss on the road in a tough environment to play, against a team with a legit HoF QB, while missing major pieces like Harrison/Clark/Mendenhall, plus the right side of your line going down injured in the first quarter? Seriously? People need to have some perspective. And some faith in our team. News flash...they don't suck just because of one loss. Guess what...every other team that won a Super Bowl championship in the last 7 years is also 0-1 right now (the Giants, Packers, Saints, and Colts all lost too)...do the fans of those teams have psyches as fragile as many of our fans after a single loss (and NY, GB, and NO all lost at home too)? We'll be just fine. That is all.

I work with a Green Bay stockholder and die hard fan and yes they do have psyches as fragile as ours. They are ready to fire Dom Capers and are ripping the defense for the Week 1 failure. So I guess things are the same in some ways

The big difference is that Green Bay fans are always making excuses for the offense versus seeing things as they are and Pittsburgh fans do the same for the defense.

flippy
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM

I get that fans overreact big time. It's kind of an adrenaline rush for us old farts or never wazzes. But it seems to be changing. I remember long ago when the Sunday after a loss was a bummer. And then you were all hyped up for the next game starting Monday morning.

But now losses seem like they linger more. It's like the whole world has been ruined by Twitter. Twitter amplifies everything. It's like we're stuck in this overreact retweet.

The fact that we had the ball at the end and a chance to win, that was good enough for me. I know I'm in the minority on most everything in this world, but I like a close loss better than a blowout win. I also think I'd lose interest in the Steelers if they ever went 19-0 like I predict every year.

At the end of the day, it's all about the anticipation, not the event for me. The best part of every football game imho is the second just before the kickoff. Nothing in this world has ever surpassed anticipation. That's my real perspective :smile: