PDA

View Full Version : Manning Vs Ben

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
We lost for a number of reasons. But the biggest reason is that Peyton Manning outplayed Ben. Simple.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 01:10 PM
I mean Peyton single handedly beat us (grrrr). I have heard for years that Ben gets sacked because of Arians, the Line etc etc. We have upgraded the line (even before DC got hurt) and Ben is still getting sacked. Upgraded the line, Arians is gone, the sacks still exist. Just like it did when Wiz was with us. Multiple sacks under Wiz, Arians and 5 under Haley. Is it the Oc? The line? or Ben? I think the answer is obvious.

BigRob
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I mean Peyton single handedly beat us (grrrr). I have heard for years that Ben gets sacked because of Arians, the Line etc etc. We have upgraded the line (even before DC got hurt) and Ben is still getting sacked. Upgraded the line, Arians is gone, the sacks still exist. Just like it did when Wiz was with us. Multiple sacks under Wiz, Arians and 5 under Haley. Is it the Oc? The line? or Ben? I think the answer is obvious.

Do you realize that Ben was not sacked for a long while to start the game? They got two more bull**** sacks at the end of the game when we had subs.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Sure, Peyton didn't turn the ball over while Ben threw a pick 6 when he had 3 minutes to go an an opportunity to win the game, so that was the ultimately the most striking difference in the game. But Ben wasn't exactly awful. He was an insane 10 for 11 on 3rd downs with 9 of them converted into 1st downs. Even Peyton himself told Ben after the game, "You were awesome on 3rd down tonight" (during that mic'ed up segment at halftime of MNF last night). And it wasn't like he was just taking horrible sacks all game long...he pretty much was taking what the defense was giving him all game long...3 sacks happened on consecutive when they were down 2 scores with under 2 minutes to go and no timeouts in pure desperation mode and the D could just pin their ears back against an offensive line with a completely new right side.

D Rock
09-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Do you realize that Ben was not sacked for a long while to start the game? They got two more bull**** sacks at the end of the game when we had subs.

What difference does it make when they happened? They still happened. It's like the old argument of taking away a RB's longest carry and saying their YPC wasn't as good without it.

Ben got sacked 3 times to end the game. Maybe something should have been done differently after the 1st of them to avoid the next 2???

williar
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
We lost for a number of reasons. But the biggest reason is that Peyton Manning outplayed Ben. Simple.

Imagine that!! A 36 year old QB, who has missed an entire season recovering from a broken neck and a paralyzed arm, on his first game back can out play our "elite" QB in his prime and the reason why we ever win a game! Go figure.....

Sadly enough! There are plenty of posters on this board that will still argue to their last breath that Ben is a better QB than Peyton Manning. Go figure....

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
What difference does it make when they happened? They still happened. It's like the old argument of taking away a RB's longest carry and saying their YPC wasn't as good without it.

Ben got sacked 3 times to end the game. Maybe something should have been done differently after the 1st of them to avoid the next 2???

At that point in the game, down multiple scores with little time left and no timeouts, the only possible prayer of a chance of victory was an 80 yard TD pass followed by an onside kick recovery, and a ultimately a hail mary game winner. At the point when those last several sacks happened, Ben wasn't playing like he played in the first 3 quarters anymore...he didn't have the option of a checkdown to his outlet anymore...he was holding the ball and hoping for some Ben magic on a bomb...and the pass rushers (who were just pinning their ears back) got to him. So, yeah, the situation matters.

williar
09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
How can you posess the football for almost the entire 3rd quarter and come away with only 3 points. SMH! But yet it's the defense's fault....

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Ben also got a fumble recovery and a good return by Brown to put him in Bronco territory both times. 1 Fg to show for it. Yes, he was awesome on third down. I too heard Peyton tell him that in the miced session. The fact is that the sack problem still exists despite the line changes. Despite the firing of Arians. He had them with Wiz, Arians and so far with Haley. Stop the excuses, its obvious. Ben has got to learn to consistently take what the defense gives him. Frickin Flacco has more win than Ben since 08. Flacco IS NOT BETTER THAN BEN! Nor does he have a better team. But I will say that he is smarter than Ben (Based on decision making and ability to process the information quicker)

fezziwig
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Ben doesn't have a better o-line under Haley. Maybe once DeCastro comes back but not until then. Ben didn't lose the game for us either in my opinion. Our defense lost this game for us. The parts I hate about this loss are these.

1. Nothing ever good becomes of a season when you lose the opener.

2. Lebeau/Tomlin have addressed nothing on the defense during the off season.

3. This loss will be played over the years in every Peyton Manning high light segment, sports clip or what have you.

4. A day or two before the game Foote and someone else from the Steelers were on the radio talking crap on the Bronco's saying they were the better team last year but just didn't win.
I've got news for those guys the Broncos are the better team when they face the Steelers.

5. Our defense looked lost, slow and far from being a threat. No one is affraid of our defense or offense.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Frickin Flacco has more win than Ben since 08.

And yet Ben has been to the Super Bowl following the 2008 and 2010 seasons (winning a ring in 2008) while the Ravens haven't been to the Super Bowl since 2001 with Trent Dilfer.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
And yet Ben has been to the Super Bowl following the 2008 and 2010 seasons (winning a ring in 2008) while the Ravens haven't been to the Super Bowl since 2001 with Trent Dilfer.

In 08 Ben had like 24 turnovers too and he sucked in the SB vs Green Bay. Ben is not the primary reason that we are good. The Defense is. Nor is Flacco the primary reason that the Ravens are good. My point is that Flacco is making bigger strides than Ben is and it shouldnt be that way.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Ben doesn't have a better o-line under Haley. Maybe once DeCastro comes back but not until then. Ben didn't lose the game for us either in my opinion. Our defense lost this game for us. The parts I hate about this loss are these.

3. This loss will be played over the years in every Peyton Manning high light segment, sports clip or what have you.

4. A day or two before the game Foote and someone else from the Steelers were on the radio talking crap on the Bronco's saying they were the better team last year but just didn't win.
I've got news for those guys the Broncos are the better team when they face the Steelers.

5. Our defense looked lost, slow and far from being a threat. No one is affraid of our defense or offense.

And yet, some how, some way, this terrible, awful, no good, sorry excuse of a team (without Harrison, Clark, Mendenhall, Sylvester, Gilbert, Foster, etc.) had the ball in Ben's hands with 3 minutes to go in the game, and a TD drive would have won the game for us. If I told you before the game started that we would be in that situation, wouldn't you have taken it and been reasonably comfortable with a positive result?

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Ben is not the primary reason that we are good. The Defense is.

Tell that to the dominant Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Joel Steed defenses and all of their rings with Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart at QB.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Tell that to the dominant Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Joel Steed defenses and all of their rings with Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart at QB.
Uh... those guys never had a starting qb. They had backups. Neil, Kordell, Tomczack, Bubby, Malone, Stoudt, Maddox, Miller etc are all backups. Is Ben better than all of them? OF COURSE HE IS. Ben is better than an backup. Congrats.

williar
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
In 08 Ben had like 24 turnovers too and he sucked in the SB vs Green Bay. Ben is not the primary reason that we are good. The Defense is. Nor is Flacco the primary reason that the Ravens are good. My point is that Flacco is making bigger strides than Ben is and it shouldnt be that way.

Fans want to keep blaming the defense, OL, OC, but never Ben and he's the problem. I don't care if Bill Walsh (rest his soul) was our OC. Our offense would still have the same problems. You can't tell me our OL is worst than the ravens, redskins, jets, just to name a few. Their QB's don't get sacked repeatedly. And how long our we going to demanding that our defense carries this team? Damn!They held Peyton Manning to 22 points. Couldn't Ben put 24 points on the board or is that too much to ask from out "elite" QB?

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Uh... those guys never had a starting qb. They had backups. Neil, Kordell, Tomczack, Bubby, Malone, Stoudt, Maddox, Miller etc are all backups. Is Ben better than all of them? OF COURSE HE IS. Ben is better than an backup. Congrats.

Last I heard, Ben has played in 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them. A QB can ride the lucky wave of a dominant defense to one championship (see Dilfer, Trent or Johnson, Brad), but 3 Super Bowl appearances in a 6 season span with 2 rings is not riding coattails. You can think Joe "The Self-Proclaimed best QB in the NFL" Flacco is better than Ben "Better Than Backups" Roethlisberger all you want, but other than Flacco's mother, you won't find too many who agree with you.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
The above is a God honest post. But he will get killed in Steelerdom for posting the obvious.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Last I heard, Ben has played in 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them. A QB can ride the lucky wave of a dominant defense to one championship (see Dilfer, Trent or Johnson, Brad), but 3 Super Bowl appearances in a 6 season span with 2 rings is not riding coattails. You can think Joe "The Self-Proclaimed best QB in the NFL" Flacco is better than Ben "Better Than Backups" Roethlisberger all you want, but other than Flacco's mother, you won't find too many who agree with you.

And what were his stats in those 3 Super Bowls? 3 TDS and 5 INTS. In fact Ben is 10-3 in playoff games with 20 TDs and 17 INTS. Sory buddy he is NOT the primary reason that we are good. You guys really need to learn to read. I NEVER said Flacco was better than Ben. I said the opposite.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Ben put up a 33 Qb rating vs the Jets in the AFCCG to get to play Green Bay. Must be nice to be able to play that poorly and earn a berth to the SB. Thank God for Mendenhall that game.

steelblood
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Ben is not as much a student of the game as Peyton. He also does not read defenses nearly as quickly. Peyton Manning is one of the all-time greatest QBs to ever play the game. If you can pressure him, you can rattle him. But, he gets rid of the ball so quickly that it is very difficult to do.

Ben is simply a different kind of QB. He is a great QB, but he likely will never posses Peyton's acumen. I'm ok with that.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
A lot of Ben's weaknesses are hidden due to the fact that he plays for the Steelers. Is Ben Roethlisberger this successful on the Browns? Please keep in mind that the Steelers went 13-3 with Kordell. Is that due to the greatness of Kordell? Heck no.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Ben contributed to the loss. He left points out on the field and threw the game sealing pick 6.

1) Fans take season openers way to seriously. It's one game and isn't an indicator of how well a team will perform for the rest of the season.
2) This organization was never a big player in free agency. Plus, the organization didn't have much money to spend on free agents. Not sure why you fault Lebeau and Tomlin for the organization's philosophy?????? If they address the Oline in the draft people complain. If they address the defense in the draft people complain. How can any organization address every need and "win" with the fans?
3) Who cares?
4) Talk is cheap.
5) I wonder if people felt that the defense looked lost and slow in the first half? The defense did what they needed to do in crunch time but the offense didn't deliver in crunch time.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 02:45 PM
You guys really need to learn to read. I NEVER said Flacco was better than Ben. I said the opposite.

Okay...so you didn't say he was better...you said that Flacco is making bigger strides than Ben. That means that I should expect to see great improvement by Flacco in his overall game recently if he's making bigger strides, right?

Last season Flacco threw the ball 53 more times than in 2010 (489 passing attempts in 2010 vs. 542 in 2011), but had only 6 more completions (306 completions in 2010 vs. 312 in 2011) and actually ended up with 12 fewer yards (3622 passing yards in 2010 vs. 3610 in 2011). His completion percentage dropped 5 whole points (62.6% in 2010 vs. 57.6% in 2011), he had 0.7 less yards per attempt (7.4 YPA in 2010 vs. 6.7 in 2011), 5 fewer touchdowns (25 TD in 2010 vs. 20 in 2011), 2 more interceptions (10 INT in 2010 vs. 12 in 2011), and his passer rating plunged by more than a dozen points (93.6 rating in 2010 vs. 80.9 in 2011). To me, it looks like Flacco's game regressed across the board from 2010 to 2011.

What are you basing these bigger strides on? One game at home this year against the Bengals?

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Im basing those strides on the last 3 times we have played them. Post those stats. And he should have beat us when Housyamamma dropped that pass thrown by Flacco

D Rock
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Okay...so you didn't say he was better...you said that Flacco is making bigger strides than Ben. That means that I should expect to see great improvement by Flacco in his overall game recently if he's making bigger strides, right?

Last season Flacco threw the ball 53 more times than in 2010 (489 passing attempts in 2010 vs. 542 in 2011), but had only 6 more completions (306 completions in 2010 vs. 312 in 2011) and actually ended up with 12 fewer yards (3622 passing yards in 2010 vs. 3610 in 2011). His completion percentage dropped 5 whole points (62.6% in 2010 vs. 57.6% in 2011), he had 0.7 less yards per attempt (7.4 YPA in 2010 vs. 6.7 in 2011), 5 fewer touchdowns (25 TD in 2010 vs. 20 in 2011), 2 more interceptions (10 INT in 2010 vs. 12 in 2011), and his passer rating plunged by more than a dozen points (93.6 rating in 2010 vs. 80.9 in 2011). To me, it looks like Flacco's game regressed across the board from 2010 to 2011.

What are you basing these bigger strides on? One game at home this year against the Bengals?

Flacco did look very good last night. That said, he also looked very good some games last year and still had the overall performance drop you mentioned. There were some terrible games mixed in with those good games, and unless he becomes more consistent Flacco will never be an elite QB.

Slapstick
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
The Broncos offense and defense did just enough the to win. The Steelers did not. It's really that simple...

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Ben also got a fumble recovery and a good return by Brown to put him in Bronco territory both times. 1 Fg to show for it. Yes, he was awesome on third down. I too heard Peyton tell him that in the miced session. The fact is that the sack problem still exists despite the line changes. Despite the firing of Arians. He had them with Wiz, Arians and so far with Haley. Stop the excuses, its obvious. Ben has got to learn to consistently take what the defense gives him. Frickin Flacco has more win than Ben since 08. Flacco IS NOT BETTER THAN BEN! Nor does he have a better team. But I will say that he is smarter than Ben (Based on decision making and ability to process the information quicker)

This is the post you responded to. Not sure why you went to the other one. Flacco isnt sacked as much either.

skyhawk
09-11-2012, 03:18 PM

BINGO!! Big time!

Sugar
09-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Uh-oh, the great Peyton Manning beat a Steeler D that was sans James Harrison and Ryan Clark. The Steeler O was doing well enough despite having half the starting OL on the table. Sacks will happen in those circumstances. Do they still need TD's instead of FG's? Yeah, but I'm not really very worried yet.

Look at stats all you want. For the most part, Ben looked sweet if you watched the game. He did what he needed to do. Often, he can make things happen. Sometimes that bites him in the booty and that happened at the end of the game. He was still good enough for Steelers Digest to name him "Player of the Game."

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Im basing those strides on the last 3 times we have played them. Post those stats. And he should have beat us when Housyamamma dropped that pass thrown by Flacco

He has made strides in his last 3 games against us in the 2011 calendar year. He went from throwing for only 125 yards with 1 TD, 1 INT, and 5 sacks in a playoff loss to us in January of 2011, to 224 yards with 3 TD's, 0 INT, and 1 sack in a opening day blowout win in September 2011, to 300 yards with 1 TD, 0 INT, and 3 sacks in a close victory in November 2011.

SidSmythe
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
After the game Manning said to BEN "You were amazing on 3rd down tonight"
Ben gets respect from Peyton Manning, probably more meaningful than the disrespect from some of the people on this board

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Being good on 3rd down means nothing if you lose and dont produce a lot of points. Denver won because their qb was better than ours. Make any excuse you want, that fact wont change.

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
awesome

more new posters with a small amount of posts bashing ben

HMMMM

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
awesome

more new posters with a small amount of posts bashing ben

HMMMM

well, we know none of those new posters are Crash...

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Ben gets respect from Peyton Manning, probably more meaningful than the disrespect from some of the people on this board

i wonder how well manning would have played if his OL kept committing penalties to keep the offense in 3rd and longs all night. or

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Peyton Manning makes a line better by getting the ball out quickly. Its not about the line its about your MIND. How many times did Peytons mind put the Broncos in a good situation? The screen TD was an audible by manning. The draw play TD was an audible by Manning. My question is why cant Ben do the same thing? Mannig has done this for years. Ben is a 9 year vet and he is still staring down receivers (See pick 6). Frankly, I'm tired of all the qb around the league improving and ours staying the same. I have Raven relatives and they are getting progressively arrogant due in large because of their qb playing better. I want ours to too.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
The Colts had a highly regarded line with Manning. How was that line last year without him? Only ONE player was missing. Peyton.

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Peyton Manning makes a line better by getting the ball out quickly. Its not about the line its about your MIND. How many times did Peytons mind put the Broncos in a good situation? The screen TD was an audible by manning. The draw play TD was an audible by Manning. My question is why cant Ben do the same thing? Mannig has done this for years. Ben is a 9 year vet and he is still staring down receivers (See pick 6). Frankly, I'm tired of all the qb around the league improving and ours staying the same. I have Raven relatives and they are getting progressively arrogant due in large because of their qb playing better. I want ours to too.

we throw plenty of WR screens. ask the receivers why they cant take it to the house.

next time we're in position to draft a 6'3 230 WR who runs like a deer, lets draft him instead of taking defensive players to be back ups for 2 years

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
We do but the execution is not the same. Do you think that Ben spends as much time with his wr's as Peyton does? I have no proof but my gut tells me he doesnt. Ben hit Wallace on a slant in the Bronco game. Ben put the ball right on him. If Ben leads him then Wallace scores an easy TD. Manning did as I described on the Screen. He put the ball in front of Demaryius (sp) so that he can make a play with it after the catch. Manning has made a career of doing this. I think our offensive weapons are fine. Heck in the Roethlisberger Era he has played with Plaxico Burress, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Alan Faneca and Pouncey. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers etc havent had those kind of weapons. We should be blowing teams out.

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
um

as the announcers said...wally couldnt keep his feet

but keep on going with your agenda43

BTW there was a post on here teammates weighing in on how big a competitor ben is. how do you think he gets a label like that if he doesnt spend time practicing with his team/ receivers.

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
your insane if you think the weapons ben has had over the years is even close to the QBs you posted.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
your insane if you think the weapons ben has had over the years is even close to the QBs you posted.

I posted Bens. Now you post theirs.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
um

as the announcers said...wally couldnt keep his feet

but keep on going with your agenda43

BTW there was a post on here teammates weighing in on how big a competitor ben is. how do you think he gets a label like that if he doesnt spend time practicing with his team/ receivers.

Is Ben a competitor? YES. Is he tough? Absolutely. He gets those labels by playing injured. Nobody questions his toughness or his competitiveness. I just said I dont believe that Ben works as hard as Manning. I hear repeatedly how much work Manning puts in. I hardly ever hear the same about our qb. No agenda. You dont like what I have to say because in your heart you know its true.

If you think that Ben puts in as much work then that is your opinion. Wally couldnt keep his feet? Ok.

Lastly, we win without Ben with Bums like Dixon and Batch. How do you think the Ravens stack up against us without Flacco? We lost to the Ravens twice by three points with Batch and once with Dixon.

I say we blow the Ravens out without Flacco

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
nah, im not gonna get into it with you. i'll just be wasting my time. i can see you got your mind made up

i could easily point out that plex was here just 1 year, you would know this if you're a steelers fan...

go find someone else to troll

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Is

If you think that Ben puts in as much work then that is your opinion. Wally couldnt keep his feet? Ok.
o

go watch the play again and tell me what collinsworth says

see ya

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
So whatever Collinsworth says is law? What did he say after Ben's pick 6? He didnt even say it was a bad pass. Dont you find that odd? That tells me that he likes Ben and is slow to criticize him. He slobbered over Ben for throwing a SIMPLE dig route TD. Tebow makes that easy throw. I expect my qb to make that throw. Of course Plax only played one year. Remember what plax did to the Pats in that one year? We blew them out. Ike also (As a backup) had an excellent athletic int of Brady. Townsend took one to the house as well. I recall we held the ball for something like 42 minutes that game. I know a lot about that game for a non Steeler fan.

Sure is ironic that you didnt list their players. I understand bud

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
A lot of Ben's weaknesses are hidden due to the fact that he plays for the Steelers. Is Ben Roethlisberger this successful on the Browns? Please keep in mind that the Steelers went 13-3 with Kordell. Is that due to the greatness of Kordell? Heck no.

hmmm

wonder where i heard that before.

oh yeah, there's a whole thread on another board of a notorious ben troll who's said the exact same thing

nice try 43

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
When you have no answers the answer is to use diversionary tactics. Fine by me

DBR96A
09-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Funny. I've heard nothing but compliments about Roethlisberger from Bronco fans. He made a mistake late, much like Peyton Manning did in Super Bowl XLIV, and against the same CB, no less. Maybe Tracy Porter is one of the best play-making CBs in the NFL. Aside from the "pick-six," he also prevented two TD passes.

As for the sacks, Roethlisberger was sacked twice during the 57 minutes when the offense wasn't in desperation mode, exactly the same number of times that Manning was sacked. The three other sacks all occurred when the offense was in desperation mode, and checking the ball down was not an option.

Why must so many Steeler fans treat their QBs like ****? :(

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Why must Steelers fans use excuse after excuse for when the sacks happened. If Ben threw a game winning TD in desperation time then should that diminsh the feat? No. You would be screaming about how clutch he is. But the opposite happened in a negative light and you diminsh it.

Fact remains that Ben Roethlisberger is 10-3 in the Playoffs with 20 TDS and 17 INTS. Sorry if I'm not overly excited about those stats.

D Rock
09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Why must Steelers fans use excuse after excuse for when the sacks happened. If Ben threw a game winning TD in desperation time then should that diminsh the feat? No. You would be screaming about how clutch he is. But the opposite happened in a negative light and you diminsh it.

Fact remains that Ben Roethlisberger is 10-3 in the Playoffs with 20 TDS and 17 INTS. Sorry if I'm not overly excited about those stats.

the sacks would be much more comparable to a garbage time TD. That's a gimme, how the heck did you miss that one?

Flasteel
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm late to the party and don't have time to wade through all 50 posts, but the OP in this thread -and anyone who agrees with him- doesn't have a clue. Simple.

NorthCoast
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Exactly right. One sack in the entire first half. More than half the sacks came in mop-up at the end of the game when the Broncs knew they had to pass. Some people have a hard time assimilating what their eyes are seeing.

williar
09-11-2012, 09:51 PM

:Bow Couldn't have said it better.....

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 09:54 PM
collinsworth after the pick 6

"ben cant say he didnt see him, he saw him and tried to zip the ball in there. which was obviously a big mistake"

"likes ben and slow to criticize him"...lol

i guy who openly says he doesnt like the steelers

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 04:49 AM
It was a BAD decision, Sanders wasnt even open. You guys make excuses for the sacks (Ben will lead the league again in sacks). You make excuses for the pick 6. Fact is Peyton Manning is leaps and bounds better than our guy. Why doesnt Ben improve at the line of scrimmage? Anyone?

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Our Qb had a 70 rating for the game. Thats what I expect from a bum like Kordell not a stud like Ben. He has to be more consistent. One 30 TD season in his career. As I said before, would he be this successful in Cleveland? A lot of Bens success is due to the STEELERS

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
I'm late to the party and don't have time to wade through all 50 posts, but the OP in this thread -and anyone who agrees with him- doesn't have a clue. Simple.

So Manning didnt outplay our guy? Ok

Flasteel
09-12-2012, 06:21 AM
So Manning didnt outplay our guy? Ok

Nobody said that....Manning was amazing. If someone wants to blame Roethlisberger for the loss or call him out for having a bad game, then yes, I would suggest that individual is an idiot with zero football acumen. Ben missed a couple of receivers that were wide open in that 4th quarter and he obviously threw the pick-6. Not his best game. If it wasn't for that sorry excuse of a defensive effort that we saw on Sunday, we wouldn't have had to push the ball downfield inside of the last 2 minutes.

Roethlisberger made throws on Sunday night that were jaw-dropping and his performance on third down was amongst the best of his entire career. Because of the late game miscues, you can't say he had one of his best games, but to discount how he carried this team for 55 minutes is simply retarded.

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry Ben habitually plays well inside the 20's. He has struggled his whole career (Wiz, Arians,) in the redzone. I could care less about 3rd downs. Manning is known for putting the ball in the end zone. Our Qb is not. All I hear every season is excuse after excuse as to why our qb doesnt play like the elite guys. He even loss to Tebow. Guess we will blame the defense for tha too. Did you see what Brady did to Tebow twice? He put so many points on the board that the "chosen one' couldnt keep up. Ben is not known for putting up a lot of points. We should consistently blow teams out. Why dont we? Inconsistent offense. Arians is gone, the line is revamped so whats the excuse now?

Ben had horrible seasons in 06 and 08. Last year he had turnovers in the 20's just like he did in 06 and 08. Why isnt our qb qetting better? That is my question. I could care less about what he does on third down. Last time I checked you dont get points for 3rd down conversions. We have been below average in the Roethlisberger era in the red zone. You blame the defense? The defense is the BIGGEST reason that Ben Roethlisberger is relevant.

Again, Is Ben this successful in Cleveland? I think we can all say. No.

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Again, Is Ben this successful in Cleveland? I think we can all say. No.

No one would be successful in Cleveland. Bad argument.

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Tom Brady, Brees. Rodgers, Both Mannings would. So would Elway, Montana, Marino. You know the elite guys?

stopplayn
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Brian Sipe, Kosar were.

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Tom Brady, Brees. Rodgers, Both Mannings would. So would Elway, Montana, Marino. You know the elite guys?

They would have gone the way of Tim Couch. My opinion is just as valid and supportable as yours...

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Brian Sipe, Kosar were.

Sipe + Kosar = 0 rings

Roethisberger = 2 rings

Sugar
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm interested in the idea of what would have happened had Ben somehow gone to Cleveland. Being an Ohio boy, I'm sure that would have been a popular move up there. My thinking is that Ben would have 0 rings playing for such an organization. I'm also thinking that the Steelers would still be stuck on four and memories of the 70's. Not a single one of those championships of the last few years happen without him. Of course, Cleveland would have benefited from having Ben torching Steelers secondaries regularly. IMO, the biggest beneficiaries would have been Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Of course, we can't know any of this but it's fun to ponder a bit.

williar
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't understand how so many fans so proudly boast Ben as a top five, elite QB who is as good as if not better than any other elite QB in the league and then persist to blame our loss on the defense because they couldn't hold Peyton Manning to 10 points. How come Ben is not held accountable for playing up to elite quarterback standards? I mean, when is the last time he's had a really GOOD game? The reason some of you get soooo mad at the defense is because you know if we have to depend on Ben outscoring other elite QB's, it ain't happening....

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I can't understand how so many fans so proudly boast Ben as a top five, elite QB who is as good as if not better than any other elite QB in the league and then persist to blame our loss on the defense because they couldn't hold Peyton Manning to 10 points. How come Ben is not held accountable for playing up to elite quarterback standards? I mean, when is the last time he's had a really GOOD game? The reason some of you get soooo mad at the defense is because you know if we have to depend on Ben outscoring other elite QB's, it ain't happening....

The defense allowed three 80 yard drives for points...

The offense left points on the field and Ben threw a pick 6 that ended any attempt at a come from behind win...

There is plenty of blame to go around...

D Rock
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Actually, had the Steelers not drafted Ben in 2004, they likely would have taken Steven Jackson from what I remember. That would have given them a great running game, but still lacking at QB. They would have finished much worse than they did that season, and they probably would have picked Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 draft as he went plummeting through the first round (I can make this assumption based on the fact that Ben was indeed drafted just a year before, so obviously the team was on the lookout for top QB talent). We then wouldn't have Heath Miller.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I could care less about 3rd downs.

This is incredibly short sighted...if Ben isn't a monster on 3rd downs, we never even make it into the red zone (when you are averaging less than 3 yards per carry as a team).

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Actually, had the Steelers not drafted Ben in 2004, they likely would have taken Steven Jackson from what I remember. That would have given them a great running game, but still lacking at QB. They would have finished much worse than they did that season, and they probably would have picked Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 draft as he went plummeting through the first round (I can make this assumption based on the fact that Ben was indeed drafted just a year before, so obviously the team was on the lookout for top QB talent). We then wouldn't have Heath Miller.

Rumors have it that Cowher was enamoured with Shawn Andrews in 2004.

In order to draft Rodgers in 2005, we would have had to trade up (we took Heath at #30; Rodgers went to Green Bay at #24). We would have needed to give up our 3rd round pick to move up into that area (which means no Trai Essex either...heartbreaker, I know).

williar
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
The defense allowed three 80 yard drives for points...

The offense left points on the field and Ben threw a pick 6 that ended any attempt at a come from behind win...

There is plenty of blame to go around...

With all that said, that game was very much to be had if Ben would have made a few more plays, plays that I would expect an "elite" QB to make. At the very least that game should have been 27-22 victory STEELERS..... You think the bronco fans are discussing their defensive inefficiencies right now. Their defense sure did leave a lot to be desired. No, bronco fans ain't worrying about their defense. Why? Because they have PEYTON MANNING! A truly an ELITE QB! If we had one of those, we would be worrying about our defense either....

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
No, bronco fans ain't worrying about their defense. Why?

Because their defense scored a TD that put the game away...

williar
09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Because their defense scored a TD that put the game away...

I guess I could manage to intercept a pass thrown right to me. Ya think!

feltdizz
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Ben was amazing on 3rd down but it doesn't really matter because he wasn't amazing in the red zone or in the last 3 minutes.

The pass to Heath that was batted down was inexcusable IMO.

The other thing that is funny is the notion Peyton did "just enough" to win. The guy had the ball for 36 seconds in the 3rd quarter and still outscored us...

feltdizz
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
collinsworth after the pick 6

"ben cant say he didnt see him, he saw him and tried to zip the ball in there. which was obviously a big mistake"

"likes ben and slow to criticize him"...lol

i guy who openly says he doesnt like the steelers

did you watch the replay? Was Collinsworth making this up?

It sure looked like Ben stared Sanders down, saw the DB and tried to zip it in.

D Rock
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Rumors have it that Cowher was enamoured with Shawn Andrews in 2004.

In order to draft Rodgers in 2005, we would have had to trade up (we took Heath at #30; Rodgers went to Green Bay at #24). We would have needed to give up our 3rd round pick to move up into that area (which means no Trai Essex either...heartbreaker, I know).

According to the way it played out, we would have had to move up, but like I said...I don't expect we would have gone 15-1 without Ben, so the draft position would have been much lower to begin with.

Sugar
09-12-2012, 02:12 PM
According to the way it played out, we would have had to move up, but like I said...I don't expect we would have gone 15-1 without Ben, so the draft position would have been much lower to begin with.

No, we wouldn't have gone 15-1. Tommy got hurt and I doubt whoever the next backup was at the time would have done much (they typically don't). That said, Tommy would have been back the next year and Cowher would probably have wanted to take a later round QB to try and groom, not Rodgers.

NJ-STEELER
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
did you watch the replay? Was Collinsworth making this up?

It sure looked like Ben stared Sanders down, saw the DB and tried to zip it in.

not sure what your getting at?

i laughed at the notion that CC doesnt criticize ben or the steelers. i quoted what he said..sounds like a criticism...no?

the troll think an ex Bengal who cant stand the steelers wont criticize ben

NJ-STEELER
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
we spend most (salary cap) and high draft choices ( the majority) on defense.

why is it hard to understand why we expect better from them?

we spent two #1 picks to back up an all pro (smith) for 2 years (possibly 3 if smith dont get hurt) and another to back up keisel for what looks like will be at least 2 years. we spent another high #2 to back up 2 other all pros at OLB at the same time we're trying to trot out an OL that didnt have a draft pick in the top 2 rounds for over 10 years (simmons to pouncey)... thats something no other NFL team has done in that period

williar
09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
we spend most (salary cap) and high draft choices ( the majority) on defense.

why is it hard to understand why we expect better from them?

we spent two #1 picks to back up an all pro (smith) for 2 years (possibly 3 if smith dont get hurt) and another to back up keisel for what looks like will be at least 2 years. we spent another high #2 to back up 2 other all pros at OLB at the same time we're trying to trot out an OL that didnt have a draft pick in the top 2 rounds for over 10 years (simmons to pouncey)... thats something no other NFL team has done in that period

I am disappointed in our defense. They stink too... There isn't any young player on our defense that I am excited about and that's sad. With that said, the defense has carried this team to the success that we are all so proud of. Aaron Smith, Hoke, Farrior, Hampton, Foote, Taylor, Harrison, etc. Those guy have retired or are playing past their primes. We need to accept that our defense is a little void of talent right now and is transitioning. IMO our strenghth should be our offense. You got pro bowlers at QB, WR's, TE, Center, and serviceable running backs. Our offensive talent is young and in their prime. I'm sorry! We should not be struggling so much to put quality points on the board. If Joe Flacco can torch a pretty good bengal defense than why can't Ben pick somebody's defense apart?

Captain Lemming
09-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Manning is the best QB in history......during the regular season.

The last time I went to a bar to waqtch a Steelers Colts game was in 2005.
Manning was awesome, Ben was not. We got Killed far worse than this year.

We beat those same Colts that year, Ben was the better QB.
We went on to win the SB.

THAT is the difference in the two

feltdizz
09-12-2012, 05:56 PM
not sure what your getting at?

i laughed at the notion that CC doesnt criticize ben or the steelers. i quoted what he said..sounds like a criticism...no?

the troll think an ex Bengal who cant stand the steelers wont criticize ben

I misread... apologies

flippy
09-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I always find it odd that they hype an NFL game as QB vs QB when the 2 QBs aren't on the field at the same time playing against each other.

NorthCoast
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
If you want an honest comparison between Ben and Manning then consider this; pre-snap, there is nobody in the league (and maybe in the history of the NFL) better than Manning at reading and diagnosing and adjusting to a defense. Post-snap, I wager Ben can do more than any QB in the league with a broken play.

stopplayn
09-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Sipe + Kosar = 0 rings

Roethisberger = 2 rings

So since Ben has 2 rings that automatically makes him better than Peyton Manning and Dan Marino right? See how ridiculous your argument is?

stopplayn
09-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Actually, had the Steelers not drafted Ben in 2004, they likely would have taken Steven Jackson from what I remember. That would have given them a great running game, but still lacking at QB. They would have finished much worse than they did that season, and they probably would have picked Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 draft as he went plummeting through the first round (I can make this assumption based on the fact that Ben was indeed drafted just a year before, so obviously the team was on the lookout for top QB talent). We then wouldn't have Heath Miller. Aaron Rodgers????? I would be a happy individual if your scenario panned out. We would probably have a UCLA basketball like winning streak

Slapstick
09-13-2012, 06:24 AM
So since Ben has 2 rings that automatically makes him better than Peyton Manning and Dan Marino right? See how ridiculous your argument is?

No, I don't.

Because my argument is that Ben would not have been successful in Cleveland. As far as I know, neither Peyton Manning nor Dan Marino played for Cleveland...

Perhaps you should follow the advice of your own screen name and stop playing...

stopplayn
09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Manning was on a team WORSE than the Browns. How did the Colts get the NUMBER 1 PICK? The got it because prior to Manning the Colts werent any good (Harbaugh and his comeback kid crap that almost beat us not withstanding). Indy was Cleveland until they got an elite qb. How did the Colts do without Manning? They were the Browns again. Again they got the #1 pick (Luck) Without Ben we lose to the Ravens by 3 points (Dixon, Batch) and go 3-1. Notice the colts could not do that?

Lastly, the Dolphins havent been relevant since Marino.

Eich
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I always find it odd that they hype an NFL game as QB vs QB when the 2 QBs aren't on the field at the same time playing against each other.

Doesn't matter if they're on the field at the same time. Each QB is trying to out-score the other. Ben lost that battle last week.

That said - the Donkey's offensive game-plan was to exploit our weaknesses and score as many points as they could. It seemed like our offensive game-plan was to keep the Donkey's offense off the field. Sometimes that works. Sunday, it didn't.

It's becoming a shoot-out league and we have the offensive weapons to play that game too.

flippy
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Doesn't matter if they're on the field at the same time. Each QB is trying to out-score the other. Ben lost that battle last week.

That said - the Donkey's offensive game-plan was to exploit our weaknesses and score as many points as they could. It seemed like our offensive game-plan was to keep the Donkey's offense off the field. Sometimes that works. Sunday, it didn't.

It's becoming a shoot-out league and we have the offensive weapons to play that game too.

There's another 52 guys that can make plays. And 11 of them can directly impact the play of the opposing QB.

Ben was pretty good at keeping our D fresh and off the field. Imagine if Ben wasn't so efficient on 3rd downs. Our D might have given up 50 points if the Broncos had a few more possessions.

Peyton didn't win the game as much as Ben didn't completely lose it.

I get why people make the comparison of QBs because they're the stars. But they're not on the field at the same time so it just strikes me as an odd comparison to make.

Like if we were talking about basketball and Lebron vs Durant, they may actually go 1 on 1 in a game.

Or Crosby and Ovechkin might be on the ice at the same time in a hockey game.

Or if we're talking about a hitter vs a pitcher in baseball, that's a 1 on 1 matchup.

Football is just so much more complex and not a lot of 1 on 1 matchups.

Slapstick
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Manning was on a team WORSE than the Browns. How did the Colts get the NUMBER 1 PICK? The got it because prior to Manning the Colts werent any good (Harbaugh and his comeback kid crap that almost beat us not withstanding). Indy was Cleveland until they got an elite qb. How did the Colts do without Manning? They were the Browns again. Again they got the #1 pick (Luck) Without Ben we lose to the Ravens by 3 points (Dixon, Batch) and go 3-1. Notice the colts could not do that?

Lastly, the Dolphins havent been relevant since Marino.

But, we aren't talking about the Colts. Nor are we talking about the Dolphins.

feltdizz
09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
No, I don't.

Because my argument is that Ben would not have been successful in Cleveland. As far as I know, neither Peyton Manning nor Dan Marino played for Cleveland...

Perhaps you should follow the advice of your own screen name and stop playing...

I disagree 100%... Cleveland has yet to find a franchise QB. If they had Ben or Manning they would be a contender....

feltdizz
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM
If you want an honest comparison between Ben and Manning then consider this; pre-snap, there is nobody in the league (and maybe in the history of the NFL) better than Manning at reading and diagnosing and adjusting to a defense. Post-snap, I wager Ben can do more than any QB in the league with a broken play.

Ben is head and shoulders above anyone when the play breaks down... but teams are figuring him out and adjusting. I loved watching him throw underneath quickly instead of waiting and waiting and taking unnecessary hits.

Slapstick
09-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I disagree 100%... Cleveland has yet to find a franchise QB. If they had Ben or Manning they would be a contender....

We will have to agree to disagree...

Cleveland has become the place where 1st round QBs go to die...

I don't think it's as simple as putting x QB + y team and equalling a contender...there are lots of other factors in place from the coaching through the organization that lead me to believe that Ben would not have fared as well in Cleveland as he did in the 'Burgh...

DBR96A
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Aaron Rodgers????? I would be a happy individual if your scenario panned out. We would probably have a UCLA basketball like winning streak

You cannot swap QBs in a vacuum.

feltdizz
09-13-2012, 03:26 PM
We will have to agree to disagree...

Cleveland has become the place where 1st round QBs go to die...

I don't think it's as simple as putting x QB + y team and equalling a contender...there are lots of other factors in place from the coaching through the organization that lead me to believe that Ben would not have fared as well in Cleveland as he did in the 'Burgh...

He may not have fared as well but he would have them in the playoffs more times than not and Ben in the playoffs is a problem.

lloydroid
09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
But consider this: Franchise QBs rarely, if ever, have a losing season. Case in point: Favre, Marino, Elway, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Fouts, Brady, Manning, Ben - in all the seasons of all those QBs, how many had losing seasons, and, I think, to be fair, rookie seasons really shouldn't count, but even if they did, only a handful even had losing rookie seasons of that group, if they played. I think Manning and Elway had losing seasons as rookies but that's about it.

Lesson? Franchise QBs make a huge difference even on teams that may be pretty flawed. They still win more than they lose, regardless.

Sugar
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
But consider this: Franchise QBs rarely, if ever, have a losing season. Case in point: Favre, Marino, Elway, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Fouts, Brady, Manning, Ben - in all the seasons of all those QBs, how many had losing seasons, and, I think, to be fair, rookie seasons really shouldn't count, but even if they did, only a handful even had losing rookie seasons of that group, if they played. I think Manning and Elway had losing seasons as rookies but that's about it.

Lesson? Franchise QBs make a huge difference even on teams that may be pretty flawed. They still win more than they lose, regardless.

Bradshaw sucked out loud his first couple of years.

NorthCoast
09-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Bradshaw sucked out loud his first couple of years.

so did Troy Aikman... sometimes the light takes a little longer to turn on...

Sugar
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
so did Troy Aikman... sometimes the light takes a little longer to turn on...

There's that, of course. Sometimes it also takes a while to get the team in place.

stopplayn
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Bradshaw was MONEY in Super Bowls. Ben? Not so much

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Bradshaw was MONEY in Super Bowls. Ben? Not so much

I'll certainly admit that Ben hasn't been great in Super Bowls overall (outside of the money drive at the end of SBXLIII), Bradshaw hasn't exactly been perfect either. He threw for a total of 96 yards against Minnesota in SBIX (less than Ben's sorry 123 yards in SBXL). He had a completion percentage of 47.4% against Dallas in SBX (not much better than Ben's pathetic 42.9% in SBXL). He threw 3 interceptions against Los Angeles in SBXIV (more than Ben had in any of his 3 Super Bowl games). Bradshaw was certainly MONEY in SBXIII, though. 17-30, 56.7%, 318 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT. Yeah, baby.

Their overall performance in the playoffs is pretty close, too.

Bradshaw in 19 Playoff Games: 261-456, 57.2%, 3833 yds, 30 TD, 26 INT, 83.0 rating

Roethlisberger in 14 Playoff Games: 248-409, 60.6%, 3150 yds, 20 TD, 17 INT, 83.7 rating

hawaiiansteel
09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
the Falcons have already intercepted Peyton Manning three times in the first quarter, we couldn't get one the whole game...

DukieBoy
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
the Falcons have already intercepted Peyton Manning three times in the first quarter, we couldn't get one the whole game...

The Falcons have been very active and aggressive at the LOS, getting some pressure, getting great drops into the short field, pressing on the outside and running cover 2 safeties to the ball very quickly. Impressive defense. Don't know why Peyton was throwing into the strength of the coverage.

NJ-STEELER
09-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Hmmm. Wonder if you'll see those guys compare this game to Bens.

Just like there's no talk about brees' terrible start to the season.

fezziwig
09-18-2012, 11:03 AM

To steal a phrase, " looked like Manning was throwing a pass while the Falcons were posing for a team photo "

Those were gift wrapped interceptions or at least a couple were but never the less, our defense isn't exactly good at getting the turnovers. I can't believe we were a number one defense last season with what, only 14 turnovers that, has to be some kind of record.
If we do turn into a ball control team, a clock controlled team will that lesson our chances for gaining turnovers since the opposing offense will not be on the field as much or will it increase because the opposing offenses feel the need to air it out playing catchup ?

Slapstick
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
To steal a phrase, " looked like Manning was throwing a pass while the Falcons were posing for a team photo "

Those were gift wrapped interceptions or at least a couple were but never the less, our defense isn't exactly good at getting the turnovers. I can't believe we were a number one defense last season with what, only 14 turnovers that, has to be some kind of record.
If we do turn into a ball control team, a clock controlled team will that lesson our chances for gaining turnovers since the opposing offense will not be on the field as much or will it increase because the opposing offenses feel the need to air it out playing catchup ?

The idea of the ball-control offense and the bend-but-don't-break defense is to crank up the pressure on opposing offenses and force them into a mistake...LeBeau's Zone Blitz is supposed to play safe by not allowing big plays while creating pressure on the QB at the same time...the defense still has to tackle and also make plays on the ball in order to get turnovers...last year, the defense played very soundly, but did not make plays on the ball...

fezziwig
09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
slapstick i get it on what the defense is all about. imho guys like msnning snd brady don't get rattled when they face our defense. the times we have beaten those guys i think it had more to do with the talent on our team rather than the system we run.

Slapstick
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
slapstick i get it on what the defense is all about. imho guys like msnning snd brady don't get rattled when they face our defense. the times we have beaten those guys i think it had more to do with the talent on our team rather than the system we run.

And there you have it...

When we faced Brady and our CBs were playing legit, they lost...