PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Ravens.....

lloydroid
09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
....as of now, I think they are heads and shoulders above Pgh right now. We aren't even in the same league with them. Not only is their D still formidable, their O is actually explosive now. I think Balt. is a true contender, and Pgh is hovering around average. But it's a long season and things can change. But right now? Pgh isn't in their class and would probably lose by 20 or 30 points.

It's not a good feeling. We wait all year, for this? I know, we are spoiled, but that doesn't change that seeing Pgh so beat up so quickly, and suffering from not very good draft picks to re-stock, is not a fun state of being.

fordfixer
09-10-2012, 10:13 PM
They are taking apart the Bengals right now :shock:

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I felt worse last season when the Ravens beat the heck out of us 35-7 in the first game and yet we still made it to the playoffs...

SidSmythe
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Great Post!! Lets crown 'em before the Replacement Refs do something stupid and take their Rings away.

papillon
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Great Post!! Lets crown 'em before the Replacement Refs do something stupid and take their Rings away.

I don't think he's crowning them, but the Ravens are doing two things tonight that caused the Steelers to look pedestrian last night: run the no huddle and play good pressure defense. The Steelers are going to have to solve some mysteries to play effectively against the Ravens.

Pappy

winwithd
09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
I didnt feel too bad after our season opener last year because other than the 7 turnovers, which caused the lopsided score, the stats were even. Again, Ben was responsible for several of those turnovers including at least one WTF throw right to Ed Reed. I was confident we could beat them the second time. And we nearly did if not for another WTF throw from Ben that stopped a drive and the Torrey Smith pushoff on Gay that wasnt called (and several other questionable things that went the Rats way that night).

I didn't see the Jets play so I dont know what we face next week but I trust the coaches will get things figured out. Meanwhile the Rats are pretty full of themselves (of course Horri-baugh or Hairball, whatever his name is always full of himself) but I expect they will come back down to earth next week against the Iggles.

Its just one game like Woodley said. And for all the hate'n on LeBeau, he wasn't passive and scared when we played Marsha and the Patsies last year. If I remember we won that one.

NorthCoast
09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
....as of now, I think they are heads and shoulders above Pgh right now. We aren't even in the same league with them. Not only is their D still formidable, their O is actually explosive now. I think Balt. is a true contender, and Pgh is hovering around average. But it's a long season and things can change. But right now? Pgh isn't in their class and would probably lose by 20 or 30 points.

It's not a good feeling. We wait all year, for this? I know, we are spoiled, but that doesn't change that seeing Pgh so beat up so quickly, and suffering from not very good draft picks to re-stock, is not a fun state of being.

hmmm, those same Ravens as last season that womped on the Steelers in week 1 and followed it up with a pathetic loss to the Titans in wk 2?? Bad losses happen, good teams learn from them and get better. I am not panicking just yet.

SteelCrazy
09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
The Steelers D always starts the season slow and then we end up #1 by years end. Our O was looking good until a few mistakes at the end. Plus, Manning is a great QB and hadnt played in well over a year. He had time to rest his body and do film study. The guy is a machie and I expected exactly what he did last night.

Time will tell, but I think we will be right in the thick of things at the end of the year.

7 UP
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM

Im sorry but this is total nonsense. Big difference between playing Peyton Manning on the road, and playing the freaking Bungles at home.

aggiebones
09-11-2012, 12:25 AM
game1 with limited preseason reps. Burgh rises from here.
Ravens are solid, nothing more.

Steelerphile
09-11-2012, 03:31 AM
The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope is that the Steelers traditionally do not play well in Denver and that after the first game last year, I was thinking they would finish somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8. Then they managed to squeeze out a 12-4, even though a lot of armchair analysts credited the "soft schedule." If they do not make a discernible step up this week, I will have a lot of concerns for the season.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 07:29 AM
They are taking apart the Bengals right now :shock:

I think we are seeing the "real" Bumgals. Last year was an illusion of being good that we see every 3-4 years before they evaporate back to sucking.

SidSmythe
09-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I think we are seeing the "real" Bumgals. Last year was an illusion of being good that we see every 3-4 years before they evaporate back to sucking.

I don't think the BUMGALS are teh BUMGALS of old. They have offensive weapons and soem pretty decent guys on defense.
I don't think they are as bad as we saw last night, but I also see an 8-8 season ahead of them

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think the BUMGALS are teh BUMGALS of old. They have offensive weapons and soem pretty decent guys on defense.
I don't think they are as bad as we saw last night, but I also see an 8-8 season ahead of them

I also peg them at 8-8.

For all the fear of the Ravens, lets let the season play out some and then see what happens if injuries start hitting them. Remember how they destroyed us in game #1 last year and laid an egg in Game #2? It's a long season. They are good but not unbeatable.

williar
09-11-2012, 11:21 AM
One thing I will say from what I saw last night, the ravens do look like they are evolving into today's NFL by playing offensive minded football. You have to put points on the board and stay on the offensive attack to have great succcess in this league, even with a great defense. The days of "smash mouth" and shutting down teams defensively are almost, obsolete, ala winning games 13-7. And say what you want, I give credit to Flacco for working on his game and improving as a QB.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
One thing I will say from what I saw last night, the ravens do look like they are evolving into today's NFL by playing offensive minded football. You have to put points on the board and stay on the offensive attack to have great succcess in this league, even with a great defense. The days of "smash mouth" and shutting down teams defensively are almost, obsolete, ala winning games 13-7. And say what you want, I give credit to Flacco for working on his game and improving as a QB.

Mark my words...Cam Cameron will screw it up. The way that Ravens fans have vilified Cam for his playcalling over the last several seasons makes it look like Steeler fans were sending love letters to Bruce Arians by comparison. He'll have games where the passing game looks effective, but he will take the air out of the ball for no reason whatsoever. He'll also have games where he will have Flacco throw the ball 59 times and virtually ignore the fact that he also has one of the best RB's in the league at his disposal in Ray Rice, and give Rice only single digit carries for no reason at all.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 12:39 PM
What scares me the most is that Flacco is becoming a consistent qb. They are getting more and more blowouts. Scary

williar
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Mark my words...Cam Cameron will screw it up. The way that Ravens fans have vilified Cam for his playcalling over the last several seasons makes it look like Steeler fans were sending love letters to Bruce Arians by comparison. He'll have games where the passing game looks effective, but he will take the air out of the ball for no reason whatsoever. He'll also have games where he will have Flacco throw the ball 59 times and virtually ignore the fact that he also has one of the best RB's in the league at his disposal in Ray Rice, and give Rice only single digit carries for no reason at all.

I hope so for our sake, Cam does screw it up! Now that it finally looks like someone up there has finally gotten a clue on how to win games in 2012 NFL, they look kind of scary.... I wish our FO would wake up! The ravens spent years trying to copy and emulate us and our success, it's about time we we start taking notes...

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Blaming OC is rubbish. GOOD Qb eliminate the OC by audibling. An OC calls his play BEFORE he sees the defense. The Qb then views the D and changes the play if he determines that the called play wont work. Thats what separates the good from the elite. Do you really think that Tom Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning are elite due to their coordinators? I dont.

D Rock
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I hate to admit it, but Flacco's TD-that-wasn't pass to Boldin was a thing of beauty. In the late game Rivers also dropped one in perfectly to Meachem deep.

Ben and his receivers just never seem to be on the same page like that. If they were this offense would be unstoppable with how easily Wallace and Brown can get a step on guys. We hear a lot from the media about Ben throwing a good deep ball, but I've never seen it. I think his intermediate throws are far and away his bread and butter.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I hate to admit it, but Flacco's TD-that-wasn't pass to Boldin was a thing of beauty. In the late game Rivers also dropped one in perfectly to Meachem deep.

Ben and his receivers just never seem to be on the same page like that. If they were this offense would be unstoppable with how easily Wallace and Brown can get a step on guys. We hear a lot from the media about Ben throwing a good deep ball, but I've never seen it. I think his intermediate throws are far and away his bread and butter.

Ben is not a good deep ball thrower. It is much more than having a strong arm which Ben has in spades. That is why Haley may be the best thing that ever happened to Ben allowing him to focus on short and mid range passes versus just chucking the ball deep. Hopefully Ben will relaize that.

Djfan
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Then they will have to work twice as hard to evaporate back to sucking, which is a real good bet.

lloydroid
09-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Deal with straw man arguments much? I never said to crown sh-t.

lloydroid
09-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I also peg them at 8-8.

For all the fear of the Ravens, lets let the season play out some and then see what happens if injuries start hitting them. Remember how they destroyed us in game #1 last year and laid an egg in Game #2? It's a long season. They are good but not unbeatable.

Umm, I'm not sure what "laying an egg" means to you, but if I recall correctly, they beat us in game 2 as well. That pretty much is not "laying an egg" even thought the game was much closer. Flacco beat us in the final minute. I am not waving a white flag, by any means, but they sure looked strong and we sure didn't.

D Rock
09-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Umm, I'm not sure what "laying an egg" means to you, but if I recall correctly, they beat us in game 2 as well. That pretty much is not "laying an egg" even thought the game was much closer. Flacco beat us in the final minute. I am not waving a white flag, by any means, but they sure looked strong and we sure didn't.

Reeelaaaxxxx. He was referring to Week 2 against the Titans, when they lost 26-13.