PDA

View Full Version : Will Johnson

SidSmythe
09-10-2012, 10:00 PM
In light of all the frustration from last night...1 guy I think we need to talk about is Will Johnson.

I've watched this guy catch 2 balls so far (1 last night and 1 from a preseason game) and he catches the ball like a Tailback. Very smooth and fluid. A few years ago I was at Training Camp and thought to myself as I watched David Johnson running routes...."That guy just looks like he doesn't belong there"
I like what I see so far.

PLUS...Did I hear right that he ran a sub 4.5 Forty at the combine???

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2012, 10:28 PM
wonder why we didn't go back to that play after we executed it so perfectly the first time?

I thought Bruce Arians must still be our OC...

papillon
09-10-2012, 10:31 PM
wonder why we didn't go back to that play after we executed it so perfectly the first time?

I thought Bruce Arians must still be our OC...

That's what I've been saying all day, if you didn't know they let Bruce go you would have thought he still had the gig.:p

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
09-10-2012, 10:40 PM
More importantly though, i dont remember seeing him lead the way into the hole too many times. and there were some long complicated drives through the middle of the game

NorthCoast
09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
That's what I've been saying all day, if you didn't know they let Bruce go you would have thought he still had the gig.:p

Pappy

I know we all wanted to a new offense switched on, but I don't think it can happen that quickly. I liked the pace of the quick passing and Heath was a true weapon again. But the Steelers need to score more than 19 pts in a game with the TOP they had against Denver.

7 UP
09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I would much rather see him blow up a linebacker than catch a 10 yard pass. I dont recall him doing anything of note as a lead blocker.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I would much rather see him blow up a linebacker than catch a 10 yard pass. I dont recall him doing anything of note as a lead blocker.

me neither...

Steelerphile
09-11-2012, 03:19 AM
In light of all the frustration from last night...1 guy I think we need to talk about is Will Johnson.

I've watched this guy catch 2 balls so far (1 last night and 1 from a preseason game) and he catches the ball like a Tailback. Very smooth and fluid. A few years ago I was at Training Camp and thought to myself as I watched David Johnson running routes...."That guy just looks like he doesn't belong there"
I like what I see so far.

PLUS...Did I hear right that he ran a sub 4.5 Forty at the combine???

Amazing how the brainwashed masses cannot restrain themselves from taking potshots at David Johnson, who actually was a pretty good player. He was not a problem on this team. He did play with passion, which I did not see a lot of in the Denver game. He was not a great offensive player, but I think he might be better than Leonard Pope, which is a signing I don't like. Will Johnson has running back skills. Maybe they should line him up to take more carries. He might be better than Redman. But a lead blocker he is not. Regardless of what the brainwashed masses say, DJ was much better than Will Johnson in that way.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 07:21 AM
I know we all wanted to a new offense switched on, but I don't think it can happen that quickly. I liked the pace of the quick passing and Heath was a true weapon again. But the Steelers need to score more than 19 pts in a game with the TOP they had against Denver.

Agree 100% and TE will become even more of a weapon when Saunders returns.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Amazing how the brainwashed masses cannot restrain themselves from taking potshots at David Johnson, who actually was a pretty good player. He was not a problem on this team. He did play with passion, which I did not see a lot of in the Denver game. He was not a great offensive player, but I think he might be better than Leonard Pope, which is a signing I don't like. Will Johnson has running back skills. Maybe they should line him up to take more carries. He might be better than Redman. But a lead blocker he is not. Regardless of what the brainwashed masses say, DJ was much better than Will Johnson in that way.

You can have the Presidency of the David Johnson Fan Club all to yourself. He was not a good player either as a TE or FB. He is mediocre at both, essentially third string ability. I saw more potential from Will Johnson on Sunday than we ever saw from David Johnson. Consider me happily brainwashed all squeaky clean. I'd rather be that than totally delusional.

Shawn
09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
The announcers were saying something to the effect that the Steeler coaches are really high on Johnson. I can see why. He is fluid, fast, and big. He has nice hands. I don't remember him blowing people up, but I wasn't watching him block either.

SidSmythe
09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
The announcers were saying something to the effect that the Steeler coaches are really high on Johnson. I can see why. He is fluid, fast, and big. He has nice hands. I don't remember him blowing people up, but I wasn't watching him block either.

John L Williams comes to mind. He didn't BLOW people up either but he did his job in that dept and could catch the ball out of the backfield.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
John L Williams comes to mind. He didn't BLOW people up either but he did his job in that dept and could catch the ball out of the backfield.

That was the name I have been trying to remember. Thank you. I agree that Will J. does have a lot in common with John L. Both can actually run and catch.

Steelhere10
09-11-2012, 09:48 AM
me neither...I seen two nice blocks he had. Could of had more but I was nt watching him that close.

Shawn
09-11-2012, 12:31 PM

Nice comparison...I'm cautiously optimistic about Johnson.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 04:18 PM

I watched John L Williams. I liked John L Williams. John L Williams was a favorite of mine. Will Johnson is no John L Williams...

SidSmythe
09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I watched John L Williams. I liked John L Williams. John L Williams was a favorite of mine. Will Johnson is no John L Williams...

Easy now Killer, the kid has played 1 game.
Would you be more happy with Larry Centers???

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Maybe not but the kid has played one game after being away from football for an entire year and he has already looked better than David Johnson. IMO that is a big win for the good guys. The kid will only improve.

SidSmythe
09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Maybe not but the kid has played one game after being away from football for an entire year and he has already looked better than David Johnson. IMO that is a big win for the good guys. The kid will only improve.

So what I hear you saying is Will Johnson is the 2nd coming of John L Williams??? Nice, I like it!! :tt2

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 05:13 PM
So what I hear you saying is Will Johnson is the 2nd coming of John L Williams??? Nice, I like it!! :tt2

Not necessarily IS, but definite COULD BE. Kid has legit athletic abilities like John L.

More than an undersized Guard playing in the backfield.

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2012, 06:01 AM
As i remember, John L. was big and could not run nearly as well as WJ

SidSmythe
09-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Not necessarily IS, but definite COULD BE. Kid has legit athletic abilities like John L.

More than an undersized Guard playing in the backfield.

So let me get this straight. David Johnson WAS the 2nd coming of Eric Green, but moving him to Fullback was a mistake???

Slapstick
09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Channeling Lloyd Bentsen?

I also liked John L.

And, it was John L. It was not John...

Oviedo
09-12-2012, 08:43 AM
So let me get this straight. David Johnson WAS the 2nd coming of Eric Green, but moving him to Fullback was a mistake???

IMO David Johnson WAS NEVER anything. He wasn't a good TE and we wasn't a good FB. Where did you ever get the opinion that me or anyone lese thought he was the next Eric Green?

SidSmythe
09-12-2012, 09:57 AM
IMO David Johnson WAS NEVER anything. He wasn't a good TE and we wasn't a good FB. Where did you ever get the opinion that me or anyone lese thought he was the next Eric Green?

OK dude. I know sarcasm and ball busting is a lost art in America these days, but sheesh, i thought I was making myself obvious!!! :HeadBanger
:p

Oviedo
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
OK dude. I know sarcasm and ball busting is a lost art in America these days, but sheesh, i thought I was making myself obvious!!! :HeadBanger
:p

Sorry. Did a quick read and I missed it.

I should had been suspicious when I had to ask myself is Sid was serious.

SidSmythe
09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry. Did a quick read and I missed it.

I should had been suspicious when I had to ask myself is Sid was serious.

So if I hear you right.............?? :p

Ok Ok, lets hope we have a John L Williams on our hands.
I also think John L should have been on the field for the 4th and Goal pass in the AFC Champ Game. FOUR MORE YARDS!!!

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Channeling Lloyd Bentsen?

I also liked John L.

And, it was John L. It was not John...

who referred to him as John?

lloydroid
09-12-2012, 05:19 PM

That's depressing.

Captain Lemming
09-12-2012, 06:01 PM

This is CRAZYtalk.
I want my fullbacks to catch first.

That is why I cant understand why we didnt think of Chris Rainey as our FB. :p

SidSmythe
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Nice catch and run by the big guy yesterday. He's definately smooth.

He's not a bad blocker.....although he totally missed the OLB on one Running play and went up inside to block. That was just plain doing the wrong thing, not whiffing on a block

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice catch and run by the big guy yesterday. He's definately smooth.

He's not a bad blocker.....although he totally missed the OLB on one Running play and went up inside to block. That was just plain doing the wrong thing, not whiffing on a block

I think Will Johnson is the FB of the present and the future. I'm very impressed with what I have seen after two games. He needs to work on adjusting his angles to the man he is trying to block but so far pretty solid efforts. They have just begun to scratch the surface of what this kid can do. Great find by Tomlin and the boys.

steelblood
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Will Johnson was a TE at WVU for the most part. Catching the ball is what he does best. He runs very well in a straight line and should be great on swing passes and stretching the seam vs linebackers. He does not have a ton of wiggle, but he can drag tacklers though he usually doesn't break tackles. As a blocking fullback, I have seen some potential athletically, but he lacks torque and strength at the POA. He can be very effective in the role of a Green Bay FB or Aaron Hernandez of the Pats. I'd rather have a FB in the Vonta Leach mold, but, if used correctly, Johnson could be very effective for us.

SidSmythe
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Will Johnson was a TE at WVU for the most part. Catching the ball is what he does best. He runs very well in a straight line and should be great on swing passes and stretching the seam vs linebackers. He does not have a ton of wiggle, but he can drag tacklers though he usually doesn't break tackles. As a blocking fullback, I have seen some potential athletically, but he lacks torque and strength at the POA. He can be very effective in the role of a Green Bay FB or Aaron Hernandez of the Pats. I'd rather have a FB in the Vonta Leach mold, but, if used correctly, Johnson could be very effective for us.

The Jets didn't shy away from giving him attention in pass coverage yesterday. After his catch they had a man on him the whole game ... the Steelers tried to get a screen pass to him that didn't work out.
Vonta Leech would be nice, but lets see how this kid matures into this offense.

BigRob
09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Everyone needs to remember he is basically a rookie. Let's see how he develops. He seems to be a hard worker.

hawaiiansteel
09-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Post-Jets thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2012
by Dale Lolley

@ Will Johnson is proving to be a weapon out of the backfield and will continue to be so. He's a matchup nightmare for linebackers - especially when they don't cover him as the Jets failed to do.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Steelers H-back Johnson proving his worth

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Jc8_X dK9VAtO3V808adAsc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuJZEyJZ1flgCH r6E3HKND9WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers began training camp with tight end David Johnson having a significance presence, particularly as the lead blocker in the run game. But Johnson’s season-ending knee injury forced offensive coordinator Todd Haley to call an audible.

The Steelers decided a fullback — free agent Will Johnson — could best fill the role of blocking back. However, Johnson has become a reliable H-back, doubling as a lead blocker and tight end.

The New York Jets seemed somewhat confused when Johnson lined up at tight end in the Steelers’ home opener Sunday. He slipped into the flat uncovered for a 26-yard reception to set up the game’s first score, a 45-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham.

“It’s something we got into last week, primarily to get me more snaps” said Johnson, who played fewer than 10 snaps in the season opener at Denver. “It gives us variety and flexibility to the offense and enables me to contribute.

“(The coaches) are definitely getting the backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game as they planned in training camp. I hope they keep coming back to us.”

Johnson could be even more involved when the Steelers play at Oakland on Sunday. The Raiders are 29th in defending the run, giving Johnson hope he’ll spend more time blocking for running backs Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer.

“I take it personal that we can run the ball,” Johnson said. “I have to prove myself every day, and I have to stay consistent.”

Johnson is considered a good route runner with fairly good hands. He’s familiar with the position, having played H-back at West Virginia.

“Will made a great play, and we were able to feed off of it,” tight end Leonard Pope said. “I told him during (organized team activities) that I was pulling for him. I love his work ethic, and he’s got the tenacity you need in a fullback. Obviously his job is to bust heads every play.”

Still, Johnson’s primary job is that of lead blocker. While the run game struggles to hit its stride, Johnson is making the most of his opportunities.

“Hopefully I’ve earned the coaches’ trust to get in more formations that allow me to come out of the backfield or line up at tight end,” said Johnson, who has yet to carry the ball. “When Ben gets into a groove, it’s hard to get away from certain personnel, but I’ll have to take advantage of my chances.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2633120-85/johnson-tight-steelers-game-run-blocker-blocking-lead-backs-ball#ixzz27GZ8XGNj

Oviedo
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Steelers H-back Johnson proving his worth

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Jc8_X dK9VAtO3V808adAsc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuJZEyJZ1flgCH r6E3HKND9WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers began training camp with tight end David Johnson having a significance presence, particularly as the lead blocker in the run game. But Johnson’s season-ending knee injury forced offensive coordinator Todd Haley to call an audible.

The Steelers decided a fullback — free agent Will Johnson — could best fill the role of blocking back. However, Johnson has become a reliable H-back, doubling as a lead blocker and tight end.

The New York Jets seemed somewhat confused when Johnson lined up at tight end in the Steelers’ home opener Sunday. He slipped into the flat uncovered for a 26-yard reception to set up the game’s first score, a 45-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham.

“It’s something we got into last week, primarily to get me more snaps” said Johnson, who played fewer than 10 snaps in the season opener at Denver. “It gives us variety and flexibility to the offense and enables me to contribute.

“(The coaches) are definitely getting the backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game as they planned in training camp. I hope they keep coming back to us.”

Johnson could be even more involved when the Steelers play at Oakland on Sunday. The Raiders are 29th in defending the run, giving Johnson hope he’ll spend more time blocking for running backs Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer.

“I take it personal that we can run the ball,” Johnson said. “I have to prove myself every day, and I have to stay consistent.”

Johnson is considered a good route runner with fairly good hands. He’s familiar with the position, having played H-back at West Virginia.

“Will made a great play, and we were able to feed off of it,” tight end Leonard Pope said. “I told him during (organized team activities) that I was pulling for him. I love his work ethic, and he’s got the tenacity you need in a fullback. Obviously his job is to bust heads every play.”

Still, Johnson’s primary job is that of lead blocker. While the run game struggles to hit its stride, Johnson is making the most of his opportunities.

“Hopefully I’ve earned the coaches’ trust to get in more formations that allow me to come out of the backfield or line up at tight end,” said Johnson, who has yet to carry the ball. “When Ben gets into a groove, it’s hard to get away from certain personnel, but I’ll have to take advantage of my chances.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2633120-85/johnson-tight-steelers-game-run-blocker-blocking-lead-backs-ball#ixzz27GZ8XGNj

Except for the hardwork that they both seem to do, everything written about Will Johnson sounds better than anything we ever saw from DJ Johnson. This article could never be written about the latter.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Except for the hardwork that they both seem to do, everything written about Will Johnson sounds better than anything we ever saw from DJ Johnson. This article could never be written about the latter.

Will Johnson is certainly a more athletic playmaking type when compared to David Johnson, but D.J. is still a better blocker than W.J.