PDA

View Full Version : Do we sign a new O Lineman This week?

toddjammin
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
With some of the injuries to the O line last night. I think Mike Adams will be good but he is not ready yet. Legursky played horrible at right guard in my opinion. With the exception of one false start from Willie Colon, I thought he played very well.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
With some of the injuries to the O line last night. I think Mike Adams will be good but he is not ready yet. Legursky played horrible at right guard in my opinion. With the exception of one falst start from Willie Colon, I thought he played very well.

Colon had two or three false starts, however he blocked well most of the night. The left side of the OL wasn't the problem.

SidSmythe
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
You mean FALSE STARTS??
But I agree with ur assessment. All I kept thinking was call Flozell Adams!!

What happened with Ramon Foster?? I heard nothing on him

SidSmythe
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Found it, he left the game with an eye injury. Phewww!!

I really think Foster will do well with DeCastro out but Legursky is a CENTER (period). a backup Center that is.
I don't think Gilbert is out long term either, but we need depth. Gotta be someone out there over Legursky.

Steelgal
09-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I think they need to start dressing 8 OL. They had to play the entire 2nd half with only 5 lineman. Not sure where you get the extra body from, but as injury-prone as our oline seems to be, they need to dress an extra player.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I think they need to start dressing 8 OL. They had to play the entire 2nd half with only 5 lineman. Not sure where you get the extra body from, but as injury-prone as our oline seems to be, they need to dress an extra player.

I agree. Too many OL right now with dings that may not finish a game. I think dressing 7 is a real risk.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I know folks don't want to hear it, but they may sign Trai Essex this week.

phillyesq
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I know folks don't want to hear it, but they may sign Trai Essex this week.

It's the logical move. He knows the offense and can play all 5 positions. Hopefully Foster and Gilbert will be able to return next week, but even if they do return, Essex makes sense.

Shawn
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
They have to sign Essex...and that makes me wanna cry.

phillyesq
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
They have to sign Essex...and that makes me wanna cry.

Worse than that -- imagine what would have happened if another lineman went down last night. Pope?

Shawn
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I mean as poorly as the OL was playing last night, I would say we could have stuck Rainey in at RT and faired about as well.

Slapstick
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
The o-line didn't play badly until the 2 minute mark in the 4th quarter...especially after losing the entire right side...

toddjammin
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah I do think we sign trai essex this week:(

pfelix73
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
OL played poorly? come on......Yep- bring back Essex for more depth.. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. Next year, we're gonna have to take some hard looks at some good top-notch FA's...

Chucktownsteeler
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Found it, he left the game with an eye injury. Phewww!!

I really think Foster will do well with DeCastro out but Legursky is a CENTER (period). a backup Center that is.
I don't think Gilbert is out long term either, but we need depth. Gotta be someone out there over Legursky.

I think Legursky is a serviceable center or at worst case back-up center. Is it out of the realm of possibility to put him at center and move Pouncey to guard?

Just asking!

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I prefer a soft lineman who will get hurt on the second series... seems to be our playbook. What's up with our strength and conditioning? We look like Big 10 football playing against the SEC.

Steelgal
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
OL played poorly? come on......Yep- bring back Essex for more depth.. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. Next year, we're gonna have to take some hard looks at some good top-notch FA's...

Unless they cut some older players that have huge cap hits, that's not gonna happen. Next year, from what i've read, is going to be even tighter against the cap than this year. I don't know a lot about the cap, but I don't see how continually restructuring contracts from year to year is ever going to help us. It just seems they're pushing more money down the road and we'll never catch up. There was talk of a huge cap increase in a few years, but who knows if that's correct or not.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Unless they cut some older players that have huge cap hits, that's not gonna happen. Next year, from what i've read, is going to be even tighter against the cap than this year. I don't know a lot about the cap, but I don't see how continually restructuring contracts from year to year is ever going to help us. It just seems they're pushing more money down the road and we'll never catch up. There was talk of a huge cap increase in a few years, but who knows if that's correct or not.

For us it is just a matter of surviving until the new TV money hits the cap in 2014. This is the price we pay for trying to hold together a team because they know the system versus getting younger players ready sooner. Unfortunately, when the new dollars come in 2014 I'm not sure it will give us alot of flexibility because we have pushed lots of money out until then.

Shawn
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
The o-line didn't play badly until the 2 minute mark in the 4th quarter...especially after losing the entire right side...

They couldn't get a push in the run game against a D known to be suspect against the run. They also gave up 5 sacks, and numerous other pressures. Are you related to one or more of these OLmen?

pfelix73
09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
They couldn't get a push in the run game against a D known to be suspect against the run. They also gave up 5 sacks, and numerous other pressures. Are you related to one or more of these OLmen?

3 of the 5 sacks were right at the end of the game when their D Knew we had to throw it.

'known to be suspect against the run' what is this based on? I thought they (our OL) had their moments at times, for example, Colon had some good pulls and I think Foster had one before he got hurt. Those netted some decent yardage, but with the whole right side of the OL going out, they really never had an opportunity to get going in the run game..

phillyesq
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Jon Scott just signed with the Bears, so thankfully we can cross him off as a possibility.

phillyesq
09-10-2012, 02:29 PM
For us it is just a matter of surviving until the new TV money hits the cap in 2014. This is the price we pay for trying to hold together a team because they know the system versus getting younger players ready sooner. Unfortunately, when the new dollars come in 2014 I'm not sure it will give us alot of flexibility because we have pushed lots of money out until then.

What young players should be starting? What veterans should be released or benched?

Shawn
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Pitt, I base my opinion on two things...one is Redman gashed the Broncos in the playoffs. Second, the Broncos gave up 126 yards a game rushing last season...thats 22nd. We couldn't run on them...that's only one of the reasons I believe our OL had a terrible game. They may get their ish together...but against Denver they looked really bad.

D Rock
09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Legursky was awful. Terrible. Yes, I understand he is the 3rd string RG, but for a guy who has started a decent number of games and played in many others, he should be much better than that.