PDA

View Full Version : Very slow looking lifeless defense

pittpete
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I know its Mile High, but looks really bad.
No fire,no spark
Hampton is the biggest I've ever seen him.
Worilds is almost as big as Casey
Mundy makes Ryan Clark look like a speed demon.
I guess when guys sit out all training camp its expected.
Mr Hood, excuse me can you just slide out of the way so we can run the ball.
Very dissappointed tonight even if we come back to win.

aggiebones
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I was worried about this because they played alot early, then sat for almost 2 quarters and a halftime.

steelz09
09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I agree... The defense looks pathetic.

Lebeau is WAY, WAY to reliant on Troy. Our dline played terrible and our LBs are equally as bad.

feltdizz
09-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Timmons and Worlids are huge... they used to have speed, now they look slow...

pittpete
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
When I saw #93 I thought Joel Steed was back

Slapstick
09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
No Harrison + No Clark = No Heart + No Defense

DukieBoy
09-09-2012, 11:56 PM
​No anchor on the DL, They got pushed around all night.

pittpete
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Lost this one in the trenches

BURGH86STEEL
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Lost this one in the trenches

The game was loss because the defense couldn't do much to slow down Peyton Manning and the Steelers gave the ball away in crunch time. Manning made the players around him better by doing several things well. There's no shame in losing to one of the best QB's to play the game. The good news is the defense won't have to face Peyton Manning every week.

This could be a long season for Steelers fans if the defense doesn't play up to past standards. I don't believe the QB/offense is good enough to carry this team.

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Timmons and Worlids are huge... they used to have speed, now they look slow...

Peyton freaking Manning outran Timmons to the sideline in the first half, that's how slow he looked. I'm sure it was just an illusion, but man it sure looked like Manning had the better legs.

Pappy

blacknblue80s
09-10-2012, 12:17 AM
IMO, we really needed to stuff the run in order to keep Manning more predictable. Once they got their run game going there was no stopping Manning.

Our D-line was very dissapointing.

Snatch98
09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Peyton freaking Manning outran Timmons to the sideline in the first half, that's how slow he looked. I'm sure it was just an illusion, but man it sure looked like Manning had the better legs.

Pappy

Are you serious right now? Manning at that point had run something like 10 straight plays in the no huddle AT MILE HIGH, Timmons was forced inside and Peyton had an angle. We just need James back on the outside to take some pressure off Woodley. Everyone acts like we just went against Ryan Fitzpatrick lol.

Slapstick
09-10-2012, 12:27 AM
It isn't like Peyton had a monster day...his day wasn't even as good as Tebow's was back in January...

It isn't like the Broncos ran all over the Steelers...their leading rusher had 64 yards...

The Broncos offense was efficient and did just enough to win...while the Steelers' defense didn't do quite enough to stop them...

The Steelers were within one score until they gave up a turnover returned for a TD...

Hell, until that last meaningless drive, the Steelers' pass pro was actually pretty good, especially considering that they were facing Miller and Dumervil...even after losing the entire right side of the o-line...

The Steelers lost to a good team, on the road and in prime time...they had the opportunity to win at the end until they made the crucial mistake...

While this loss sucks, I'm not nearly as borderline despondent as I was after the opening day Ravens fiasco last year...

Jigawatts
09-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Well said Slapstick. I hate to see the Steelers lose as much as anyone else, but I'm really not all that upset for all the above reasons. That game could have went either way and in the end it just tilted towards the Broncos favor.

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2012, 01:08 AM
It isn't like Peyton had a monster day...his day wasn't even as good as Tebow's was back in January...

It isn't like the Broncos ran all over the Steelers...their leading rusher had 64 yards...

The Broncos offense was efficient and did just enough to win...while the Steelers' defense didn't do quite enough to stop them...

The Steelers were within one score until they gave up a turnover returned for a TD...

Hell, until that last meaningless drive, the Steelers' pass pro was actually pretty good, especially considering that they were facing Miller and Dumervil...even after losing the entire right side of the o-line...

The Steelers lost to a good team, on the road and in prime time...they had the opportunity to win at the end until they made the crucial mistake...

While this loss sucks, I'm not nearly as borderline despondent as I was after the opening day Ravens fiasco last year...

a voice of reason...:Clap

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 06:06 AM

It was not a bad loss. It was a loss against a good team that will probably win their division (which creates its own problem because we could have to play there again without Clark again).

However, it was the same old story on defense. Play a good QB and they pick apart our defense and there is no response from our defensive coordinator. We were getting pressure on Manning in the first half. Actually utilized some inside blitzes then in the second half LeBeau does what he always does against good QBs...he played scared and went passive. Just relied on the same thing hoping that Troy makes a "miracle" play and saves the day.

SteelBucks
09-10-2012, 07:22 AM
When I saw #93 I thought Joel Steed was back

LOL. Steed was who I thought of also when I saw #93 waddle onto my TV screen. I looked like Worilds blew up in the offseason.

D Rock
09-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Pappy

No, that wasn't an illusion. I thought maybe it was because Timmons had to change directions or something, but watching it again...even after they were running stride for stride together towards the sideline, Manning was at least keeping pace if not actually increasing the distance between them.

Sword
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Agree!!!

No fire..no burning desire to win on Defense.. I saw guys that looked lost
I saw Denver on fire...emotional...

Sword
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Denver new we were going to play more conservative because, of last years lost...
They should have payed attention to Steelers website poll.
The vote that had the highest percent of what we should have done was put pressure on manning....

That is exactly what we should have done late in the game. Your not ever going to beat Manning if you give him time back there....

We are mostly so dam predictable...cannot stand it....

Jigawatts
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Peyton freaking Manning outran Timmons to the sideline in the first half
Pappy

That was disturbing

phillyesq
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Pappy

Perhaps it was an illusion with the angles, but Timmons looked slow and ineffective, and that play exemplified it.

If Foote continues to be the better ILB, this defense is in serious trouble.

fezziwig
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
A typical Lebeau defense. If he doesn't have a defensive player of the year player on it then, things don't work for his system. This defense started up where it left off last season.

Can't get off on third downs.

Hardly a turnover or when they do get them they seldom get points out of them.

The front line of the d doesn't push anyone back.

Linebackers make their tackles after 5 yards.

If we score a touch down you can guarantee the defense will give up a touchdown.

Lamar Woodley cant do squat if he doesn't have Harrison playing in the game.

The secondary looked like the keystone cops once again.

We used to always win when we went into half time with the lead...... that's becoming history.

Lebeau isn't willing to make new changes or come up with an original thought. The smoke and mirrors stuff he has been doing for years well, other teams have been to his carnivals and they figured out all his tricks.

I said the team would go 8-8 this season and now I'm not sure if they do that well.

steelz09
09-10-2012, 09:40 AM
A typical Lebeau defense. If he doesn't have a defensive player of the year player on it then, things don't work for his system. This defense started up where it left off last season.

If we score a touch down you can guarantee the defense will give up a touchdown.

We used to always win when we went into half time with the lead...... that's becoming history.

Lebeau isn't willing to make new changes or come up with an original thought. The smoke and mirrors stuff he has been doing for years well, other teams have been to his carnivals and they figured out all his tricks.

I said the team would go 8-8 this season and now I'm not sure if they do that well.

I agree with just about everything you listed here. But wasn't Woodley playing a dominant game against the Pats last year (without Harrison) and before he got hurt?

Our d-line and ILB's especially in the run game were absolutely pathetic.

Steelgal
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Foote played better than I expected him to, but the rest of the defense was lacking. I never thought Timmons deserved the large payday that he got and now it's really looking like a mistake. How Ryan Mundy makes this team is baffling. He was beyond horrible last night. Safety used to be a strong part of our defense, now it's one of the worst. Troy needs to alter his playing style because he's not as fast as he used to be and just can't make plays that he did 3-4 years ago. Our corners aren't great, but they never have been when we don't get pressure. They got great pressure on Peyton in the 1st quarter, then he went no huddle and torched them.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 09:43 AM

You sound like me. Well done!! Another person sees things as they are and not as they were.

Like I said when last season ended, we needed to replace TWO Coordinators.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Foote played better than I expected him to, but the rest of the defense was lacking. I never thought Timmons deserved the large payday that he got and now it's really looking like a mistake. How Ryan Mundy makes this team is baffling. He was beyond horrible last night. Safety used to be a strong part of our defense, now it's one of the worst. Troy needs to alter his playing style because he's not as fast as he used to be and just can't make plays that he did 3-4 years ago. Our corners aren't great, but they never have been when we don't get pressure. They got great pressure on Peyton in the 1st quarter, then he went no huddle and torched them.

Mundy makes this team because we don't draft Safeties or sign them as Free Agents. Unfortunately we have waited too long to plan for post-Troy and post-Clark. I was always hopeful Mundy could develop into a solid player but it is clear that isn't going to happen.

fezziwig
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Perfectly said !

fezziwig
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Mundy makes this team because we don't draft Safeties or sign them as Free Agents. Unfortunately we have waited too long to plan for post-Troy and post-Clark. I was always hopeful Mundy could develop into a solid player but it is clear that isn't going to happen.

Another correct view with what is wrong with this team.

papillon
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Are you serious right now? Manning at that point had run something like 10 straight plays in the no huddle AT MILE HIGH, Timmons was forced inside and Peyton had an angle. We just need James back on the outside to take some pressure off Woodley. Everyone acts like we just went against Ryan Fitzpatrick lol.

Ben had just driven the Steelers for field that took about 5 minutes off the clock; I'm not sure what that was in real time, but lets just leave it at 5 minutes. The scramble by Manning for a 1st down was the 6th play of the ensuing drive and it was in the no huddle. I'm hoping that our LBs are in good enough condition to play 6 plays consecutively without looking like they're running in mud which is what Timmons looked like on that particular play. The defense just looked sluggish and lethargic at times last night. There also was probably a lot of miscommunication due to new faces taking on expanded roles, Carter, Allen, Heyward, Hood, and Worilds. Manning showed the world why he will be a HOFer the moment his 5 year waiting period is up.

All-in-all I was more disappointed with the offense, not the defense, giving up 24 points to Peyton Manning should be good enough to win the game. In today's NFL you have to be able to consistently put 24 plus points on the board or you will lose to good teams. You can beat bad teams with 19 points, but the good teams are going to score 24 plus points every game, the Steeler offense needs to be able to match that, last night they didn't.

Pappy

bostonsteeler
09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Ben had just driven the Steelers for field that took about 5 minutes off the clock; I'm not sure what that was in real time, but lets just leave it at 5 minutes. The scramble by Manning for a 1st down was the 6th play of the ensuing drive and it was in the no huddle. I'm hoping that our LBs are in good enough condition to play 6 plays consecutively without looking like they're running in mud which is what Timmons looked like on that particular play. The defense just looked sluggish and lethargic at times last night. There also was probably a lot of miscommunication due to new faces taking on expanded roles, Carter, Allen, Heyward, Hood, and Worilds. Manning showed the world why he will be a HOFer the moment his 5 year waiting period is up.

All-in-all I was more disappointed with the offense, not the defense, giving up 24 points to Peyton Manning should be good enough to win the game. In today's NFL you have to be able to consistently put 24 plus points on the board or you will lose to good teams. You can beat bad teams with 19 points, but the good teams are going to score 24 plus points every game, the Steeler offense needs to be able to match that, last night they didn't.

Pappy

The O was OK, other than that they squeezed 6 points out of 14 on two of their trips to the RZ.

The int. to Porter was on Ben. Ben also missed an open Wallace. But those will happen to any QB; Ben played well, although not lights out.

Eventually the D put too much pressure on the O, and the Denver D was better than the Pit D.

Slapstick
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Manning had a good performance...but it wasn't like it was a great performance...

He had an efficient day and did just enough to win...

Ben also had a good day right up until the 2 minute mark...

blacknblue80s
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Pappy
I would agree except that with our o-line decimated with injuries we really needed our defense to step up. Also the offense dominated TOP which should have given the D an advantage.

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I would agree except that with our o-line decimated with injuries we really needed our defense to step up. Also the offense dominated TOP which should have given the D an advantage.

No doubt about the TOP,but in general the offense appeared to labor for yards and that's why the TOP was what it was, Ben was lights out on 3rd down last night; I think he was 9/11 or 10/12 with 8 or 9 1st downs converted on 3rd down, that alone should have won the game for the Steelers. But, for some reason, the Steelers continue to kick FGs instead of putting TDs on the board, sometimes it's play calling, sometimes it's bad execution and sometimes Ben hits a defensive back in the hand with a pass to a wide open receiver, whatever the reason the offense continues to give away points.

Pappy

blacknblue80s
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
IMO, all the running that lead to the 3rd and longs were part of a game-plan that was supposed to rest our 3-4 defense. I'm guessing our offense could have been more explosive and balanced.

I really expected our fresh defense to come out and dominate in the second half...

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:41 PM
IMO, all the running that lead to the 3rd and longs were part of a game-plan that was supposed to rest our 3-4 defense. I'm guessing our offense could have been more explosive and balanced.

I really expected our fresh defense to come out and dominate in the second half...

Playing for Ben to bail out the offense on 3rd down is a recipe for disaster; I doubt he will be able to perform that magic for 15 more games and hopefully, a playoff run. He was off the charts on 3rd down last night.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Playing for Ben to bail out the offense on 3rd down is a recipe for disaster; I doubt he will be able to perform that magic for 15 more games and hopefully, a playoff run. He was off the charts on 3rd down last night.

Pappy

It's what we do on defense with Troy. Just wait for the spectatcular play and when it doesn't happen we have last night. Need more balance and playmakers on both sides of the ball. That said I think we have way more playmakers on the offensive side than the defensive and that is a major concern.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
No doubt about the TOP,but in general the offense appeared to labor for yards and that's why the TOP was what it was, Ben was lights out on 3rd down last night; I think he was 9/11 or 10/12 with 8 or 9 1st downs converted on 3rd down, that alone should have won the game for the Steelers. But, for some reason, the Steelers continue to kick FGs instead of putting TDs on the board, sometimes it's play calling, sometimes it's bad execution and sometimes Ben hits a defensive back in the hand with a pass to a wide open receiver, whatever the reason the offense continues to give away points.

Pappy

some reason = Ben under throwing Heath

fezziwig
09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Question... They speak about the air is thin in Denver so it creates a problem for the visitors. Does the air around the rest of the country give the Bronco players troubles ?

papillon
09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
some reason = Ben under throwing Heath

Yea, and he missed Wallace on the seam as well, but the throw that got tipped by the 5' 10" cornerback was really bad, since Heath is 6'5" tall.

Pappy

Shawn
09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
a voice of reason...:Clap

So, now you like optimism?

NorthCoast
09-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Biggest disappointment was the LB play. They were completely swallowed up by the Denver DL. Timmons looked a bloated bumbler taking bad angles and slooow. Foote represented well, but won't remind anyone of a probowler. Carter?... did he make a tackle?

Is Mundy really the Steelers best option for backing up Clark? The guy just never seems to be in position to make a play. The TD was as much on Mundy as it was on Troy. He played the outside instead of taking away the inside.

I don't think the Defense will be as bad as they looked last night. It will just take some time for the new guys to get adjusted to NFL game speed. I agree with others, I hope we find a guy the can step up with some attitude. Need to see more nasty from the LBs and DL.

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
So, now you like optimism?

I like realism, sorry you have a problem with that concept.