PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace scores touchdowns..Antonio Brown doesnt!

Dee Dub
09-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Yep...that's the reality of it. Steelers should lock him up..since Brown get's lock out of the endzone.

steelz09
09-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Wallace played well for not practicing. I still don't think he's worth "elite" money though.

Dee Dub
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Wallace played well for not practicing. I still don't think he's worth "elite" money though.

25 career TD's to 2 career TD's. What ever elite money is, he deserves more than Antonio Brown.

feltdizz
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Ok... are you his agent?

DukieBoy
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
​Here we go ...

SidSmythe
09-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Brown had a TD but Ben's throw was behind him.
Wallace got a great throw for a TD. that was the difference.

chiken
09-09-2012, 11:49 PM
he was offered more than Brown, he didn't accept it.. This loss had nothing to do with the Wide Receivers.. Ben Missed a gimme, Redman is not a feature back and our Defense was not a factor whats so ever.

Redman didn't look great but Redman + Dywer is acceptable. Our 'D' was VERY, VERY concerning. We may make the playoffs but an elite QB will rip us apart like Peyton did tonight.

steelz09
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
25 career TD's to 2 career TD's. What ever elite money is, he deserves more than Antonio Brown.

I expect an elite player like Fitzgerald, like Calvin Johnson, like Andrae Johnson to make an attempt to grab the ball at it's highest point instead of waiting for it to get dropped in his bread basket.

He's a DeSean Jackson type of a player. A good player... a very good player but not elite like the top of the pack.

papillon
09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
he was offered more than Brown, he didn't accept it.. This loss had nothing to do with the Wide Receivers.. Ben Missed a gimme, Redman is not a feature back and our Defense was not a factor whats so ever.

Ben missed two gimmes, one to whoever was standing in the endzone by himself and the pass was tipped away by a defensive back in the first half and Wallace didn't have anyone covering him on a seam route in the second half and I mean nobody was within 20 yards of him. Everyone wanted a new offensive coordinator and we got one, but the offense was eerily similar to last year, yards were hard to come by, no screen or delay game to slow down the pass rush and a couple brain cramps from Ben.

Pappy

Dee Dub
09-09-2012, 11:56 PM

Redman didn't look great but Redman + Dywer is acceptable. Our 'D' was VERY, VERY concerning. We may make the playoffs but an elite QB will rip us apart like Peyton did tonight.

Sorry chicken...this thread isnt about how and why the Steelers lost. It' about who socres TD's and who doenst. Fact!

NJ-STEELER
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Ben missed two gimmes, one to whoever was standing in the endzone by himself and the pass was tipped away by a defensive back in the first half and Wallace didn't have anyone covering him on a seam route in the second half and I mean nobody was within 20 yards of him. Everyone wanted a new offensive coordinator and we got one, but the offense was eerily similar to last year, yards were hard to come by, no screen or delay game to slow down the pass rush and a couple brain cramps from Ben.

Pappy

he had broncos in his face as wally broke open. not like he was sitting there just surverying the field.

he looked to the other side of the field (going thru progressions...looks like heath was 1st option) as wally was breaking open

just what many on here want him to do for years

Dee Dub
09-09-2012, 11:59 PM

Pappy Actually the only thing similar to the other offense (Bruce Arians), was the final results..or lack of results. This new offense only attempted one deep pass the whole game. I dont get that.

steelz09
09-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Pap,

I actually thought the play calling was pretty good. Early in the game, I think those run, run pass and short passes was on purpose. It was to protect Ben and to make the defense adjust. We utilized Heath effectively and it was a success. Once the D adjusted, our offense changed for the better and we saw our WR have more success.

If anything, our offense suffered from lack of execution. I can't say the same for the Arians offense. Arians never adjusted ... at all. Haley did almost a 180-degree change tonight from a playcalling perspective.

DukieBoy
09-10-2012, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=chiken;522398]he was offered more than Brown, he didn't accept it.. This loss had nothing to do with the Wide Receivers.. Ben Missed a gimme, Redman is not a feature back and our Defense was not a factor whats so ever.

Redman didn't look great but Redman + Dywer is acceptable. Our 'D' was VERY, VERY concerning. We may make the playoffs but an elite QB will rip us apart like Peyton did tonight.[/QUOTE

We'll see if Sanchez becomes "elite" next week. We've already made their backup QB a media star.

steelz09
09-10-2012, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=chiken;522398]he was offered more than Brown, he didn't accept it.. This loss had nothing to do with the Wide Receivers.. Ben Missed a gimme, Redman is not a feature back and our Defense was not a factor whats so ever.

Redman didn't look great but Redman + Dywer is acceptable. Our 'D' was VERY, VERY concerning. We may make the playoffs but an elite QB will rip us apart like Peyton did tonight.[/QUOTE

We'll see if Sanchez becomes "elite" next week. We've already made their backup QB a media star.

If we don't make certain adjustments... Sanchez will look elite.

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Pap,

I actually thought the play calling was pretty good. Early in the game, I think those run, run pass and short passes was on purpose. It was to protect Ben and to make the defense adjust. We utilized Heath effectively and it was a success. Once the D adjusted, our offense changed for the better and we saw our WR have more success.

If anything, our offense suffered from lack of execution. I can't say the same for the Arians offense. Arians never adjusted ... at all. Haley did almost a 180-degree change tonight from a playcalling perspective.

Ben has been playing behind mediocre lines for the past 3 or 4 years, he's fine with it and doesn't really need to be protected IMHO. The offense looked the same to me, they labored to move the ball. Ben was money on third down (like last year), no draws, delays or screens and there 2 or 3 times on third down you knew they were coming because Ben was killing them on third down. They did try one screen to Rainey and it was covered by the Broncos.

The play calling was fine by me as well, as it was last year with Arians, when plays are executed well the OC looks like a genius, when they're not he looks like an imbecile. This came down to the Broncos using their home field advantage by going no huddle and the Steelers defense had no answer. The offense worked the clock and scored points, but the defense simply couldn't hold up under Manning's constant pressure from the no huddle, it's why he'll be in the HOF some day.

Anyhow, I thought the offense looked the same, but without the deep routes. Wallace actually looked good running the underneath and intermediate routes. I hope the Steelers can sign him, him, Brown and Sanders all looked good tonight.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
09-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Ben has been playing behind mediocre lines for the past 3 or 4 years, he's fine with it and doesn't really need to be protected IMHO. The offense looked the same to me, they labored to move the ball. Ben was money on third down (like last year), no draws, delays or screens and there 2 or 3 times on third down you knew they were coming because Ben was killing them on third down. They did try one screen to Rainey and it was covered by the Broncos.

The play calling was fine by me as well, as it was last year with Arians, when plays are executed well the OC looks like a genius, when they're not he looks like an imbecile. This came down to the Broncos using their home field advantage by going no huddle and the Steelers defense had no answer. The offense worked the clock and scored points, but the defense simply couldn't hold up under Manning's constant pressure from the no huddle, it's why he'll be in the HOF some day.

Anyhow, I thought the offense looked the same, but without the deep routes. Wallace actually looked good running the underneath and intermediate routes. I hope the Steelers can sign him, him, Brown and Sanders all looked good tonight.

Pappy
It's early but people were expecting Haley to be a miracle worker. The run game was going to do this, he was going to call plays to make the oline and other players better, ect ect ect. It all starts with the QB. I have a feeling the offense is gonna look the same as long as Ben remains the QB. I guess it's going to boil down to if people are willing to accept that or not.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 06:35 AM
It's early but people were expecting Haley to be a miracle worker. The run game was going to do this, he was going to call plays to make the oline and other players better, ect ect ect. It all starts with the QB. I have a feeling the offense is gonna look the same as long as Ben remains the QB. I guess it's going to boil down to if people are willing to accept that or not.

The problem with the run game is they started Redman not Dwyer. Dwyer showed that he can make things happen where Redman showed nothing. Other than that I think the offense did quite a few good things given that they were playing behind a make shift OL for most of the game. It's tough to call screens and other plays that rely on timing and coordination when the entire rightside of your OL is on the bench.

We lost to a team with a very good, fast defense. I am hopeful moving forward with what I saw on the offense. The defense is another story all together.

steelblood
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM

I don't disagree, but Brown also does things Wallace doesn't/can't, like return punts and highpoint the damn ball.

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2012, 07:08 AM

You don't think the offense looked different???

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Bottom line. We need both. It's a passing league so u need all the weapons you can get

Look around the league and you'll see our trio of shrimps is close to average whole other teams are loading up on great whites... Not just fast, but WRs with great size

BURGH86STEEL
09-10-2012, 08:29 AM

The offense had the same feel to it as it did with Arians. Same as the past, injuries and execution were the major issues.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
The problem with the run game is they started Redman not Dwyer. Dwyer showed that he can make things happen where Redman showed nothing. Other than that I think the offense did quite a few good things given that they were playing behind a make shift OL for most of the game. It's tough to call screens and other plays that rely on timing and coordination when the entire rightside of your OL is on the bench.

We lost to a team with a very good, fast defense. I am hopeful moving forward with what I saw on the offense. The defense is another story all together.

I don't think it matters one bit if Dwyer starts because he looks to the sidelines anytime he gets more then 3 yards.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
The offense had the same feel to it as it did with Arians. Same as the past, injuries and execution were the major issues.

Our OL is the most injury prone in football.

steelz09
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM

I definitely thought the offense looked different. More throws to RBs. I don't remember a lot of screens but I know there other passes and more check downs to RBs and TEs than I've seen in previous years.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't think it matters one bit if Dwyer starts because he looks to the sidelines anytime he gets more then 3 yards.

Maybe that is because open space is usually on the sides of the field not the middle where most of the defense is. It's called running to space versus running to contact.

Dee Dub
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Bottom line. We need both. It's a passing league so u need all the weapons you can get

Look around the league and you'll see our trio of shrimps is close to average whole other teams are loading up on great whites... Not just fast, but WRs with great size

I agree with this. By my post, I am not a Antonio Brown hater. I do like him as well but I know this teams needs guys who can score TD's and Wallace can do that.

williar
09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I hope Wallace stays. He's one of my favs but I am fast losing hope that he'll resign. Wallace is a thorobred. His game is the long ball and getting out in space using that elite speed. Unfortunatey he's not going to get many of those opportunities in this offense, especially with a QB who doesnt throw the long ball very well. Our QB also isn't too good at putting the ball out in front of our WR's where they can use their speed and athleticism to make plays.

It's okay! Come to D.C. Wallace, baby!! We'll have just what you want... A boat load of money and RG3.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Maybe that is because open space is usually on the sides of the field not the middle where most of the defense is. It's called running to space versus running to contact.

I'm talking about looking to the sideline for a break.... Every 2 plays Dwyer is raising his hand to come out...

chiken
09-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Forgive me guys - your right, this thread is about Wallace catching Tds and Brown missing a couple.. but its 1 game.. The way this offense is structured with the quicker stuff allowing the guys to RAC (which Wallace is the worst at for some reason) Brown looks like he will be more than beneficiary jmho

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I hope Wallace stays. He's one of my favs but I am fast losing hope that he'll resign. Wallace is a thorobred. His game is the long ball and getting out in space using that elite speed. Unfortunatey he's not going to get many of those opportunities in this offense, especially with a QB who doesnt throw the long ball very well. Our QB also isn't too good at putting the ball out in front of our WR's where they can use their speed and athleticism to make plays.

It's okay! Come to D.C. Wallace, baby!! We'll have just what you want... A boat load of money and RG3.

WTF are you doing here if your a redskin fan

williar
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
WTF are you doing here if your a redskin fan

I'm a steeler fan who happens to live in D.C. I pay attention to the home team. I hate to see a talent like Wallace wasted in an offensive system that doesn't seem value his skills.

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
yeah, but your arguement is idiotic

flacco has 2 long throws today. both described as perfect cause they were completions.

smith took the first one off his hip

2nd one should have been incomplete cause the ball rolled under boldin. throwing the ball that long 90% of the time the receiver has to adjust to the ball

unless they play for the steelers appartently

williar
09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
yeah, but your arguement is idiotic

flacco has 2 long throws today. both described as perfect cause they were completions.

smith took the first one off his hip

2nd one should have been incomplete cause the ball rolled under boldin. throwing the ball that long 90% of the time the receiver has to adjust to the ball

unless they play for the steelers appartently

Whatever idiot!! Flacco is looking pretty damn good to me..... Better hope the ravens don't get their hands on Wallace, if that happens we'll never see the top of AFC North again...

steelz09
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Whatever idiot!! Flacco is looking pretty damn good to me..... Better hope the ravens don't get their hands on Wallace, if that happens we'll never see the top of AFC North again...

if our D plays the same way they did against the broncos, we won't sniff the playoffs.

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
flacco looks good

RG3 looks good

anybody who looks good this week is better then ben. but no mention of guys like eli, brees, stafford, rodgers this week cause they didnt look good

evberybody but ben looks good

eff off troll and go root for your skins

different year, same chit from you

williar
09-10-2012, 10:02 PM
flacco looks good

RG3 looks good

anybody who looks good this week is better then ben. but no mention of guys like eli, brees, stafford, rodgers this week cause they didnt look good

evberybody but ben looks good

eff off troll and go root for your skins

different year, same chit from you

Right ON! Bro... I love GREAT QB's. Sorry if you don't! And yes, I will continue to root for whoever I want... BYE! U don't like it! Don't read it!!

NorthCoast
09-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Wallace is the beneficiary of his own talent,...speed. DBs are so scared of him running by them that they give him 10 yd cushions all day long, making easy catches in zone coverages. Ask a WR to make a catch in traffic or challenged by a DB and there simply is no comparison... Brown has escapability, strength, leaping skills, and body positioning and control that far and away beats Wallace.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Yep...that's the reality of it. Steelers should lock him up..since Brown get's lock out of the endzone.

yeah, let's reward the guy who didn't show up by giving him the $11.5 million/year contract he is looking for.

I have no idea how we could possibly replace those 4 catches for 37 yards Mike Wallace made against the Broncos, let's sign him no matter what, to heck with the salary cap...

papillon
09-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Take a deep breath everyone, we're all not happy that the Steelers lost and didn't exactly look good doing it, but please remember board decorum. Post your opinion, defend your opinion, but do not attack another member personally. Just a reminder to everyone, it's the beginning of a new season and we're all looking forward to the season, if you need to refresh yourself take a few moments and re-read the code of conduct.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
yeah, let's reward the guy who didn't show up by giving him the $11.5 million/year contract he is looking for.

I have no idea how we could possibly replace those 4 catches for 37 yards Mike Wallace made against the Broncos, let's sign him no matter what, to heck with the salary cap...

Exactly. You don't reward someone for not being a team player. They rewarded the guy who deserved the money when they signed Brown who is already the best, most complete WR on the team. Sanders is no slouch either.

Wallace was offered a very fair contract reported to be about $9M per year. If he doesn't want that then he can walk at the end of the season but I would use his a$$ up this year.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I dont know why some guys hold it against a player for holding out. Its a strategic ploy. Do you hold it against the Rooneys for locking the players out? Why the double standard? Both are ploys to gain leverage. Brown will not be nearly as effective without Mike Wallace. Wallace stretches the Defense by occupying a safety. That opens the middle up for Sanders, Heath and Brown. The is no substitute for speed. Defense gameplan for Mike Wallace, not as muc for brown. Thats the reality. You might not like it but......

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Exactly. You don't reward someone for not being a team player. They rewarded the guy who deserved the money when they signed Brown who is already the best, most complete WR on the team. Sanders is no slouch either.

Wallace was offered a very fair contract reported to be about $9M per year. If he doesn't want that then he can walk at the end of the season but I would use his a$$ up this year.

How about Carson Palmer? Didnt he quit on his teammates in Cincy? Did the media get all over him? NOPE. Wasnt he rewarded? It happens all the time in this business. You do what you have to do to gain leverage.

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
How about Carson Palmer? Didnt he quit on his teammates in Cincy? Did the media get all over him? NOPE. Wasnt he rewarded? It happens all the time in this business. You do what you have to do to gain leverage.

NEWSFLASH. Mike Wallace has NO LEVERAGE until 2014 unless the Steelers allow him to have leverage. They "own" him the season for $2.7M and they can "own" him if they choose next season with the franchise tag for about $10M. Combined that is about $6-7M or less than the Steelers offered him by $2M.

Mike Wallace has nothing except throwing his little off season pout by not showing up. All his off season shennaigans were for nothing. He had to come back at the Steelers price, he didn't get a new contract because they did what they said they would do and not negotiate while he was gone. What did he do? Not get hurt? It cracks me up everytime I hear someone talking about Wallace having leverage. What a joke.

Not like he was a factor on Sunday night, just like the last half of last season...outperformed by Antonio Brown.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Not like he was a factor on Sunday night, just like the last half of last season...outperformed by Antonio Brown.

Giving your team the lead in the 4th quarter by catching a TD pass in the red zone (for a team that has been notoriously bad when it comes to scoring TD's in the red zone) is being a non-factor? Noted.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 01:55 PM
It seems you are a little testy. Perhaps you should go back to kidergarten and learn how to read. I never once said Wallace had leverage. I said "It was a ploy to gain leverage". Its obvious he got some bad advice. Nontheless he will get his money. Not as much as he asked but another strategic ploy is to start your bidding high to test the waters, they accept something "In the neighborhood" of what you deserved all along. At the end of the day, he will still get payed and he didnt have to go to camp. Winnning. The fact is Mike Wallace is a commodity and the Steelers are smart enough to see it. Why didnt they trade him? Obvious reasons. The Steelers recognize his value. You should too.

Slapstick
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Why didn't they trade him?

Because the Steelers are not the Bengals and will not allow a player to dictate terms to them...

But, I guess when your trading partner is as hapless as the Raiders, you can come out a winner...

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
They didnt trade him because they realized his value to the Steelers. Simple. The traded Tone because they realized he was a F up. That was the same reasoning that almost landed Ben out of town. If you take away the Wallace deep threat watch how Ben, Antonio and Heath struggle (see the preseason)

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Steelers Notebook: Wallace's contract talks end for year

September 10, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- Sunday not only marked the beginning of the season for the Steelers, it signaled the end of negotiations between them and wide receiver Mike Wallace.

It comes as no surprise that there will be no multiple-year contract for Wallace. He did not end his holdout until two days before the final preseason game. That left them a dozen to try to work out a new contract, because the Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular season starts.

"Talks" may be too strong a word to describe the discussions between the Steelers and Wallace's agent over the past 12 days. Very little went on.

So, Wallace will play this year for a salary of more than $2.7 million. At the end of the season, talks could open again on a multiple-year contract.

If he does not sign, he could become an unrestricted free agent in March, provided the Steelers do not put the franchise tag on him. That would cost them close to $11 million next season if they do. And they can also put the franchise tag on him a second time in 2014.

Whether they do or not in '13 could depend on how Wallace performs this season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-wallaces-contract-talks-end-for-year-652663/#ixzz26BK2h5np

Oviedo
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
They didnt trade him because they realized his value to the Steelers. Simple. The traded Tone because they realized he was a F up. That was the same reasoning that almost landed Ben out of town. If you take away the Wallace deep threat watch how Ben, Antonio and Heath struggle (see the preseason)

Why trade him when the team controls him on their terms for the next three years--2012, 2013 and 2014? The team can have it anyway they want. Sure it will be great if he stays but only at a price the Steelers want. Hopefully, Wallace gets smart and sees that.

Really, Ben was almost out of town? When was that really ever going to happen? Again the organization got what they wanted because the system puts them in control.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
You seem to have a fetish for words like "control" and "own". Name one NFL player that isnt under the control of their owner. All owners are in control. Newsflash. Ben wasnt almost out of town? Ok

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
lets not kid ourselves. he's gone. we're not gonna sign him for the franchise tag. then we'll start all over again and draft a project.

then we'll come here on mondays and bitch why the offense doesnt look good and why are the ravens better then us the last few years.

BTW, has there been any word from the wallace camp on what was offered?

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
The fact remains that Mike Wallace is the most dangerous weapon between the two. Make no mistake about it. If Reavis plays, they put him on Wallace and not Brown. Says all that needs to be said

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
The fact remains that Mike Wallace is the most dangerous weapon between the two. Make no mistake about it. If Reavis plays, they put him on Wallace and not Brown. Says all that needs to be said

cromo might be faster then revis, so i wouldnt rule that out

regardless. wally or Ab vs revis spells JAMMED at the line of scrimmage

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 05:27 PM
BTW, has there been any word from the wallace camp on what was offered?

I'm not sure who leaked the information (Jason La Canfora, I believe) but I read somewhere awhile back that the Steelers offered 5 years $50 million with $20-25 million guaranteed.

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
cromo might be faster then revis, so i wouldnt rule that out

regardless. wally or Ab vs revis spells JAMMED at the line of scrimmage
Reavis has been on Wallace in the past. If they put Cromartie on Wallace then that helps us.

aggiebones
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
He is not going anywhere next year unless they trade him for a first rounder or something. He will get the franchise tag. That's what it is there for.Had he come to camp and tried to negotiate with the Steelers but not come to terms, then maybe they don't tag him. But he tried to play them and he will get played now himself.Frankly, he should sue his agent for $10M.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
He is not going anywhere next year unless they trade him for a first rounder or something. He will get the franchise tag. That's what it is there for.Had he come to camp and tried to negotiate with the Steelers but not come to terms, then maybe they don't tag him. But he tried to play them and he will get played now himself.Frankly, he should sue his agent for $10M.

I think whether we franchise Wallace all depends on how well or not Wallace plays this season...

stopplayn
09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Wallace will have a very good season. He has explosive speed and the desire to be better. He only needs to fight for balls more. I saw two balls on Sunday that he should have made a better attempt on.

Oviedo
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
You seem to have a fetish for words like "control" and "own". Name one NFL player that isnt under the control of their owner. All owners are in control. Newsflash. Ben wasnt almost out of town? Ok

Words mean something, so why would you use a ridiculous word like "leverage" in this situation when you acknowledge what you just did above? A "fetish" of your own maybe?

Oviedo
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Wallace will have a very good season. He has explosive speed and the desire to be better. He only needs to fight for balls more. I saw two balls on Sunday that he should have made a better attempt on.

I agree with all you said. I too think as long as he keeps his head on straight he will have a "good" season. The problem is he wants paid like a WR who has a "great" season.

You are exactly right too, he doesn't fight for balls. He doesn't know how to highpoint a ball and get it with his arms fully extended over the defender and he isn't a great route runner who adjust his routes well. That is what the elite receivers who get paid what he wants do. Both Brown and Sanders are already better at that than he is from a "learned skill" perspective.

ikestops85
09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I agree with all you said. I too think as long as he keeps his head on straight he will have a "good" season. The problem is he wants paid like a WR who has a "great" season.

You are exactly right too, he doesn't fight for balls. He doesn't know how to highpoint a ball and get it with his arms fully extended over the defender and he isn't a great route runner who adjust his routes well. That is what the elite receivers who get paid what he wants do. Both Brown and Sanders are already better at that than he is from a "learned skill" perspective.

I'm just curious how you know he "isn't a great route runner who adjust his routes well". Did you hear a coach say this? Has Ben complained about him not running great routes? I haven't heard anything like that from anybody. Is it just because he is fast that you assume he can't run a route well? I'd just like to know who your source is on this and when it was said.

stopplayn
09-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Wallace seems to be a good route runner. I know on Sunday Night he was shaking the Corners out of their socks, they couldnt press him

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I'd say Wallace is a very good route runner. But I agree that he often doesn't fight for the ball like he could. He's not Fitzgerald, but he's a very good wide receiver, certainly in the top 20% in the league, IMO.

stopplayn
09-13-2012, 08:35 AM
You accurately, described Wallace. I dont know what is wrong with telling the truth about a player. We can accurately critique every player on the team but when you do the same to the QB, all hell breaks loose. Everyone gets all sensitive and mad. Why?

Dee Dub
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Yep...Mike Wallace scores Touchdowns!!

DukieBoy
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Yep...Mike Wallace scores Touchdowns!!

Very fine play by MW on that TD. Ben did a great job of avoiding pressure and then making that throw.

NorthCoast
09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Very fine play by MW on that TD. Ben did a great job of avoiding pressure and then making that throw.

The catch Brown made leaping 3 ft off the ground on 3rd down and getting creamed by Landry and still held on was 10x the catch of Wallace's TD.

DukieBoy
09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
The catch Brown made leaping 3 ft off the ground on 3rd down and getting creamed by Landry and still held on was 10x the catch of Wallace's TD.

Brown made a couple incredible catches tonight. And he is amazing and dangerous after the catch. Brown deserved our MVP last year. I am glad we have him signed for the longer term.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Would you guys call Wallace more of a breadbasket catcher, than a hands catcher?

NorthCoast
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Would you guys call Wallace more of a breadbasket catcher, than a hands catcher?

Let's put it this way, no one would use 'man-beast' and Wallace in the same sentence....(damn, i think i just did..).

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Brown made a couple incredible catches tonight. And he is amazing and dangerous after the catch. Brown deserved our MVP last year. I am glad we have him signed for the longer term.

Brown is the best WR we have and that is saying alot because Wallace is good and Sanders is good, but Brown is great.

stopplayn
09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I dont think Brown is our Best WR. Our best WR is Mike Wallace. It would be interesting to see what Brown could do WITHOUT Mike Wallace opening up the middle for him. Wallace experienced the same thing with Tone. Santonio opened it up for him as a rookie. Santonio left and we saw what Wallace could do on his own.

In defensive meetings, I guarantee they spend more time and attention to Wallace than Brwon.

Sugar
09-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I dont think Brown is our Best WR. Our best WR is Mike Wallace. It would be interesting to see what Brown could do WITHOUT Mike Wallace opening up the middle for him. Wallace experienced the same thing with Tone. Santonio opened it up for him as a rookie. Santonio left and we saw what Wallace could do on his own.

In defensive meetings, I guarantee they spend more time and attention to Wallace than Brwon.

Agreed. The good news is that now these teams are going to have to "pick their poison." Do they want to deal with Wallace's speed, the long ball and excellent sideline work? How about a guy like Brown that snags whatever is thrown is way and is dangerous in space after the catch? Then you still have to deal with Sanders, Heath, Cotchery and hopefully Rainey soon.

The challenge will be for Ben to find the mismatches and make the throws. If the first two weeks are any indication, he's well on his way.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 09:41 AM

It's all about catching the ball and Brown makes catches that Wallace will never make. Brown is asked to do thing Wallace couldn't do, but I'm sure that if you put Brown on the outside and sent him deep he would be a pretty good deep threat himself.

Sugar
09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
It's all about catching the ball and Brown makes catches that Wallace will never make. Brown is asked to do thing Wallace couldn't do, but I'm sure that if you put Brown on the outside and sent him deep he would be a pretty good deep threat himself.

I think he probably would. Then again, I think Wallace wouldn't be so bad in Browns role either. We'd see dropoff either way. Thankfully, Brown does his thing very well and Wallace does his very well also.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
I think he probably would. Then again, I think Wallace wouldn't be so bad in Browns role either. We'd see dropoff either way. Thankfully, Brown does his thing very well and Wallace does his very well also.

I am totally on board that having both is the best of all worlds unfortunately it is a luxury that we may not have more than another year. I think the front office agrees which is why they guaranteed they had Brown long-term with his extension.

Sugar
09-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I am totally on board that having both is the best of all worlds unfortunately it is a luxury that we may not have more than another year. I think the front office agrees which is why they guaranteed they had Brown long-term with his extension.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Brown was willing to do the deal right away and Wallace was in a free-agent position and wanting to get more. That was more about their ability to negotiate the deal than the priority they place on the players.

It also means little to me if it's a "luxury" right now. Next season will have worries of it's own. I just plan to enjoy both of these guys on the field THIS year.

Dee Dub
09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

No...I'd just call him what he is. A touchdown maker! And on his TD yesterday the ball was deliberately under thrown and Wallace came back and got it.

Slapstick
09-17-2012, 12:01 PM
It's just plain good drafting to get such value out of a 3rd round and a 6th round pick...

In the Steelers' offense, the potential is to be greater than the sum of the parts, considering the amazing job of distributing the passes...both Haley and Ben deserve kudos for keeping their weapons (including Heath Miller!!) involved...

SDSteel1
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
No...I'd just call him what he is. A touchdown maker! And on his TD yesterday the ball was deliberately under thrown and Wallace came back and got it.

I would argue after watching the video 10 times, that Ben just threw the ball up and Wallace came down with it, nothing was deliberate about the throw other than the throwing part. If he didn't "under throw" it, it would have ended up in the stands.

papillon
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
I would argue after watching the video 10 times, that Ben just threw the ball up and Wallace came down with it, nothing was deliberate about the throw other than the throwing part. If he didn't "under throw" it, it would have ended up in the stands.

I'm with you SD, I doubt that ball was under thrown purposely. In reality, it should have never been thrown, but Ben was scrambling and managed to escape long enough to throw it downfield and create a jump ball situation, more good fortune than stellar quarterback play in my opinion.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
That's what elite QBs do! Trust their thoroughbred WRs 1-on-1 to come down with the ball on the sideline.

Last score of a certain recent SB, anyone?:tt1:tt2

Jigawatts
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
In reality, it should have never been thrown, Pappy

A normal QB who worries about his fantasy numbers wouldn't have thrown that. In Bens mind an interception in that situation is as good as a punt.
Glad we have a QB that doesn't worry about his stats and allows his receivers to make a play.

feltdizz
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
That was an amazing catch by Wallace.

Captain Lemming
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Not sure but HOFer Lynn Swann was the biggest "breadbasket" catcher I've ever seen.

Oviedo
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Very good read courtesy Wexell. Let's hope Wallace gets some sense so he can keep making great catches.

Really, I only started thinking about Hines because of what being a hero means to not only an organization, but to the person himself. And this is where the part about Mike Wallace begins.
Yep. This is a business story. But it’s a story about a hero spending his entire career in Pittsburgh and being able to cash his check or anything else in this town anytime he wants. Even today we’re pining for him to out-tough the other team’s tough guy.
Ward’s a legitimate hero in this town. He managed himself the right way and left with the ability to come and go and use his key to the city any time he pleases.
Wallace? Well, for $11 million per year instead of $9.5 million per year, he will be able to cash plenty of checks for a few years or so in Tampa. Or Phoenix. Or Seattle.
Not that it matters. What matters is that he will not become a hero if he leaves after this season, and that appears to be his path. But before he goes he has one last chance to take a look around, to talk to guys like Brandon Johnson and Jerricho Cotchery.
Johnson is a reserve linebacker who signed with the Steelers after he was cast off by the Bengals.
Yes, it was embarrassing but Johnson’s a classy guy, too classy to take any verbal swipes at his own team. So here’s what he had to say about his new team:
“It’s a group that really understands how to win, how to prepare, and how to go about things. From a simple practice to the preparation in the meeting room, I see a group that really understands how to get things done.”
Brandon Johnson had to go through hell before he went to heaven here in Pittsburgh. So did Cotchery.
He’s another classy guy, also too classy to take potshots at his old team, the New York Jets, as they prepared to play the Steelers on Sunday.
Oh, Cotchery said some things the Jets may not have liked, but they were truths, not potshots as he explained why he chose to stay in Pittsburgh instead of re-joining the Jets last April.
“Pittsburgh really wanted me back here,” he said. “It’s a place I wanted to come back to. I don’t think any team would’ve come between that at that time. It’s just a great atmosphere here. Once you’re a part of this atmosphere, it’s hard to go somewhere else. That’s just the type of atmosphere it is.”
The atmosphere is such that Cotchery’s really not even worried about gaining any personal satisfaction in beating the Jets.
“I’m not emotionally attached to playing these guys,” he said. “I’m not. I think my reason for feeling that way right now is the guys in this locker room. They welcomed me from Day One and they made me feel like I was a Steeler. They didn’t care how long I had been with anyone else, once you put on this jersey you’re a Steeler. They embraced me, so it was easy for me to transition.
“I’m a Steeler. I’m a Steeler,” he said with an almost disbelieving smile. “It’s like everything else doesn’t really have a huge effect on me.”
A little over the top? Well, if you had seen Cotchery last season – when Wallace overheard me asking Cotchery about a rumored trade back to the Jets, and how Wallace shouted out my question to Ben Roethlisberger, and how Roethlisberger corralled Ward and Wallace and the rest of the players on that side of the room, and how they circled Cotchery and begin chanting, “Jets suck! Jets suck! Jets suck!” – you might understand how Cotchery could feel so strongly about a team. So take a look around, Mike. Talk to some people. Don’t turn your life into just another business story.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
For a one trick pony, interesting that Ben trusts him to come down with a jump ball.......:stirpot

ikestops85
09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Agreed. The good news is that now these teams are going to have to "pick their poison." Do they want to deal with Wallace's speed, the long ball and excellent sideline work? How about a guy like Brown that snags whatever is thrown is way and is dangerous in space after the catch? Then you still have to deal with Sanders, Heath, Cotchery and hopefully Rainey soon.

The challenge will be for Ben to find the mismatches and make the throws. If the first two weeks are any indication, he's well on his way.

I'm with you Sugar. I think Wallace and Brown are both excellent receivers and each has their own strengths. Add in Sanders who is getting back into his rookie form and I think defenses are going to be in trouble. It won't be easy for them to pick their own poison.

:tt2:tt2

papillon
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
For a one trick pony, interesting that Ben trusts him to come down with a jump ball.......:stirpot

And, if he didn't come down with it the Steelers punt or go for it on 4th and 16, down and distance make that decision easy to make, there really isn't any really bad down side to the throw (I guess, an INT and 103 yard return for TD, but Ed Reed doesn't play for the Jets). Third and 16 from the Jet 37 yard line, they need 10 yards for a reasonable FG attempt of 44 yards. Ben is under pressure, scrambles out without finding a 10 yard option and heaves it into the end zone for a jump ball, Wallace adjusts beautifully and comes down with the pass. If it's intercepted, 1st and 10 for the Jets at the 20 and they were struggling to move the ball. If it's knocked down, the Steelers either go for it on 4th or punt. My assumption is that the play was designed to try and pick up the 10 yards for Suisham, but it broke down and Ben does what Ben does and in this instance with very little downside. It was a good play all around.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Not sure but HOFer Lynn Swann was the biggest "breadbasket" catcher I've ever seen.

Dang, Lemming, you are so right - thanks for reminding me and making me in an even better Steeler mood!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Ovi, beautiful read.

Dee Dub
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM

I dont think so. Cromartie was clearly behind Wallace. Any other type of throw would have been foolish.

papillon
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I dont think so. Cromartie was clearly behind Wallace. Any other type of throw would have been foolish.

I don't disagree with that, I just think Ben was throwing it and hoping for the best in a jump ball situation, this time his guy won. I believe he threw it to keep it in play and not out of the end zone, that way it's a jump ball, but I don't think it was planned to be that short, maybe, but I don't think so.

Pappy

Dee Dub
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Brown is the best WR we have and that is saying alot because Wallace is good and Sanders is good, but Brown is great.

Psssssssssssst...but he doesnt score touchdowns. And it is becoming quite obvious too. 27 games played..only 2 career TD's. Not so sure I would call that "great".

Dee Dub
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't disagree with that, I just think Ben was throwing it and hoping for the best in a jump ball situation, this time his guy won. I believe he threw it to keep it in play and not out of the end zone, that way it's a jump ball, but I don't think it was planned to be that short, maybe, but I don't think so.

Pappy

If Cromartie was in front of Wallace, Wallace doenst win that jump ball contest.

Slapstick
09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Psssssssssssst...but he doesnt score touchdowns. And it is becoming quite obvious too. 27 games played..only 2 career TD's. Not so sure I would call that "great".

Nobody asked...:p

papillon
09-17-2012, 03:18 PM
If Cromartie was in front of Wallace, Wallace doenst win that jump ball contest.

Obviously, that's true in any jump ball situation, except for a few elite WRs, Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, Roddy White, etc. they can win a jump ball regardless of where the DB is playing. All I'm saying is that Ben threw it to keep it play anywhere in the end zone to give his guy a chance and in this instance his guy won. Based on down, distance and field position it was a safe throw with way more upside than not.

Pappy

Dee Dub
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Nobody asked...:p

So if someone gives their opinion and I don't agree with it I can't state mine? I do like Brown and am grateful he is a Steelers but I don't think he has reached great status yet. He needs to become a scorer on a somewhat regular basis and he is far from that right now. Light years way.

SDSteel1
09-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Wallace was behind Cromartie when the ball was released, rewatch the video. Then wallace stops and Cromartie goes by him.

ikestops85
09-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I watched Brady throw many of those types of passes to Randy Moss with double coverage and Moss would come down with the ball. The announcers would shower Brady with praise on how well he threw the ball. Ben recognized an opportunity to make a play so he threw it to Wallace. Wallace made a nice comeback to the ball and did well to keep his feet inbounds and make the catch. It wasn't like Ben had to thread the needle or put the ball where only Wallace could get it. He saw Wallace going to the endzone and Cromartie trailing with his back to Ben so he heaved it. A great play all around.

NJ-STEELER
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I watched Brady throw many of those types of passes to Randy Moss with double coverage and Moss would come down with the ball. The announcers would shower Brady with praise on how well he threw the ball. Ben recognized an opportunity to make a play so he threw it to Wallace. Wallace made a nice comeback to the ball and did well to keep his feet inbounds and make the catch. It wasn't like Ben had to thread the needle or put the ball where only Wallace could get it. He saw Wallace going to the endzone and Cromartie trailing with his back to Ben so he heaved it. A great play all around.

$$

fordfixer
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I think we are way over thinking this:shock:

stopplayn
09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
A normal QB who worries about his fantasy numbers wouldn't have thrown that. In Bens mind an interception in that situation is as good as a punt.
Glad we have a QB that doesn't worry about his stats and allows his receivers to make a play.

Oh knock it off. Ben is a horrible "touch" passer. The ball was poorly thrown. Wallace bailed Ben out. That is the reality. Anythin else is hyperbole

stopplayn
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM

I DARE you to post footage of Brady's "throwups" to Moss. I GUARANTEE that the footage will look nothing like Bens throw.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2012, 03:08 AM
On the Steelers: Few signs of rust for Wallace

September 18, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/261/097/wallace_420.jpg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace pulls in a pass as he is defended by Jets defensive back Kyle Wilson in the fourth quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

Mike Wallace is off to the fastest scoring start in his career. Imagine where he might be had he gone through training camp.

You will get no argument from him.

"I think training camp helps me," Wallace said after catching his second touchdown pass of the season Sunday in the Steelers' 27-10 victory against the New York Jets.

"I think I could be even better now if I would have gone through training camp. I would have liked to be in training camp, but you know ... "

Business is business, and right now that's behind him and so too are any suggestions that Wallace might not be in the best frame of mind because of his long holdout and his inability to come together with the Steelers on a multiple-year contract.

Two games into what might be his final season with the Steelers, Wallace has again shown just how dangerous he can be.

He caught five passes for 74 yards Sunday, and his 37-yard touchdown was typical and atypical of Wallace at the same time.

It's no surprise he and Ben Roethlisberger hooked up for another deep pass, coming within 3 yards of extending their franchise record of 40-yard touchdown passes, which stands at 11.

The difference this time is that Wallace did not blow past Antonio Cromartie to catch it. The Jets cornerback stayed with him but Wallace adjusted, came back to the inside of Cromartie to catch the deep ball and kept both feet inbounds in the end zone.

This catch came after Wallace shielded the defensive back with his body last week in Denver to catch a 3-yard touchdown pass over the middle.

His renowned speed meant not so much on either score, but his ability to adjust and to finesse the defenders came more into play.

"I think I'm moving in the right direction," Wallace said Sunday. "I'm helping my team, that's all that really matters."

Ten different receivers caught passes, led again by Antonio Brown, who had seven receptions for 79 yards. Emmanuel Sanders caught three, Heath Miller three, and Jerricho Cotchery one big 6-yard catch over the middle to the 1-yard line on third down.

"I feel we have the best wide receivers in the world," Wallace said. "Anytime you have so many good guys it's hard keeping guys off the field. They have to play too. It's a compliment to our coaches and our players. You don't see too many teams that can switch two players out each and every play."

He says he even likes the new offense.

"I love the ball control we're doing," Wallace said. "I think we're really efficient, not having too many turnovers. I think if we keep going like this, we'll always have ourselves in the game and give ourselves a chance to win. If you're not turning the ball over, you'll always have chance to win."

Wallace looks more like a four-trick pony these days.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-few-signs-of-rust-for-wallace-653820/#ixzz26tBDYCaw

stopplayn
09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I DARE you to post footage of Brady's "throwups" to Moss. I GUARANTEE that the footage will look nothing like Bens throw.

Still no footage of Bradys "Throwups" at press time. And there wont be

NJ-STEELER
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM
what about his underthrow throw up to a 6'6 270 LB tight end on a bum ankle in the superbowl last year?

INT by blackburn

stopplayn
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Brady has never had accuracy issues on short balls nor long ones. For anyone to type that that was a GREAT pass by Ben is smoking something. That was a GREAT job by Wallace adjusting to a poorly thrown pass is more accurate.

Slapstick
09-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Brady has never had accuracy issues on short balls nor long ones. For anyone to type that that was a GREAT pass by Ben is smoking something. That was a GREAT job by Wallace adjusting to a poorly thrown pass is more accurate.

Ben escaped pressure and threw the ball where Wallace could catch it while on the move...poorly thrown or not, only Wallace was catching that ball considering that Cromartie had his back to Ben...Wallace made a great adjustment, which was required, and the play resulted in a TD...

It was a good play by both players...

ikestops85
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Still no footage of Bradys "Throwups" at press time. And there wont be

Sorry but I can't get to youtube at work. I'll try and find you some tonight. I don't think it will be hard.

ikestops85
09-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Prepare to eat some crow. Start at the 2:38 mark and you will see 2 plays in a row where Brady just heaves it up into double coverage. The second one looks very similar to Ben's pass to Wallace except that Moss was DOUBLE covered.

uyZpPAzHUKE

I don't know why I can't get the youtube to show up in the post but here is the link

Brady Just Heaving the Ball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZpPAzHUKE)

NJ-STEELER
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM
the reel starts off with brady throwing into almost triple coverage.

nice video. but, it doesnt account for the Incompletions where he's heaved it up as well

ikestops85
09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
the reel starts off with brady throwing into almost triple coverage.

nice video. but, it doesnt account for the Incompletions where he's heaved it up as well

Quite right.

I just wanted to answer Stopplayn who seemed to think Brady never threw into coverage and had the receiver make a play on the ball. He did it all the time but he had one of footballs greatest receivers at going up and getting a ball playing with him. Ben has never had a receiver who goes up in the air and takes it away from the defender. I did notice he never made a comment on the video.

NJ-STEELER
09-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Yeah. That assertion was a little rediculous

stopplayn
09-22-2012, 07:46 AM
I never said he NEVER throws into coverage. Brady is a good deep passer and Ben is NOT. That was my point. You made it seem as if he threw passes up for grabs like Ben did with Wallace and you failed. Sorry.

The play you refrenced was a play action pass where he had to get the ball off (See that the ball was released right as he was hit and that effected the travel of the ball. In fact thats what made the ball underthrown and appear to be a tossup. But lets say it was a 'toss up". Isnt it smart to TOSS UP a pass to the 6'4 Moss over the little DBs? Mike Wallace isnt tall at all. Bens pass was NOT a good pass. The beauty of the play was the ability of Mike Wallace to catch the pass.