PDA

View Full Version : Run run pass punt... give me Bruce back!

Steelhere10
09-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I know only two series, but if this is the direction this offense is headed I rather have Bruce back.

feltdizz
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Lol.. ... ..

Vindrow
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
What happened to the screens and short passes?

Steelhere10
09-09-2012, 09:06 PM
No need to pay Wallace in this offense.

williar
09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Different OC same QB...... Three points when we should have had 14... Sheesh!!

steelz09
09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
No need to pay Wallace in this offense.

I didn't really like the last couple of run-run-pass possessions but I can understand it. I'd like to see a couple more down-the-field throws but Haley is trying to protect Ben a bit. Denver has some very good pass rushers.

smregester
09-09-2012, 09:30 PM
You do realize they need to do that to keep manning off the field. Clock managment, I don't like it much but its what that have to do

Steelhere10
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
You do realize they need to do that to keep manning off the field. Clock managment, I don't like it much but its what that have to doOne minute you guys talk about Ben being elite, now you take it out of his hands because of the opposing QB... nice!

Steel Life
09-09-2012, 09:45 PM
It's the O-line that the problem...they're not opening any holes. Pass-pro has been 50-50 but Wallace needs to become a factor.

smregester
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
One minute you guys talk about Ben being elite, now you take it out of his hands because of the opposing QB... nice!

Never called him elite, and he's a good QB. Its not the point of taking it out of his hands its the matter of a game plan. They've delt with Manning like this many time before and this one will not be any different

steelblood
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
pssst. anyone know where the chat is?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
It's the O-line that the problem...they're not opening any holes. Pass-pro has been 50-50 but Wallace needs to become a factor.

such a tired and unoriginal excuse.

did the Offensive Line throw a bullet at #83 instead of putting some air under it and costing the team 7 points?

smregester
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
pssst. anyone know where the chat is?

Just found it thanks..

Shawn
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Welp folks you witnessed a new record. 2 series into a coaching career...the first calls for his head are heard.

feltdizz
09-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Where? Lol...

pittpete
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
O-line looks great
I feel like im in the schoolyard again:rolleyes:

ToddHaleySucks
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Todd Haley is more than 2 series into his pathetic coaching career. The only reason he got this job is because of his daddy. Heck, his daddy is the only reason he has ever had any job in the NFL. Every place that he has coached (head coach or offensive coordinator) his teams have sucked at running the football, look at the running plays that the steelers ran tonight. He has one of if not the fastest WR in the game and he didn't air it out deep all night. It is going to be a long season. Hopefully, Tomlin will do to Haley what Haley did to Weiss and take the play calling away from him.

SidSmythe
09-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Todd Haley is more than 2 series into his pathetic coaching career. The only reason he got this job is because of his daddy. Heck, his daddy is the only reason he has ever had any job in the NFL. Every place that he has coached (head coach or offensive coordinator) his teams have sucked at running the football, look at the running plays that the steelers ran tonight. He has one of if not the fastest WR in the game and he didn't air it out deep all night. It is going to be a long season. Hopefully, Tomlin will do to Haley what Haley did to Weiss and take the play calling away from him.

Did you really have to come up with a new name dude??? Who is this??? Triple H?? DeeDub???

pittpete
09-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Todd Haley is the devil:D

steelz09
09-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree..

I think the offensive play calling was solid. We controlled the clock and like you said and that is a must when playing Manning. We controlled the clock and Manning still torched us..

Early in the game, we ran short plays to try to bring the 'D' in. The defense adjusted and so did our offensive playcalling. I like that and I almost NEVER saw that with Arians.

I would have liked a few more play action passes but what can you do?

Ben's INT was a poor one but outside of that and redzone execution (not playingcalling), the offense wasn't the problem. Our D was flat out pathetic.

DukieBoy
09-10-2012, 12:09 AM
What happened to the screens and short passes?

We may have to resort to laterals and pitchouts.

Shawn
09-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Did you really have to come up with a new name dude??? Who is this??? Triple H?? DeeDub???

Im guessing it's you.

Shawn
09-10-2012, 12:20 AM
What is scarey is that as bad as the Steelers played...we were one Big Ben drive away from a win.

Slapstick
09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
What is scarey is that as bad as the Steelers played...we were one Big Ben drive away from a win.

That's because they really didn't play badly...they just didn't do enough to win...

Last year, on opening day, they played badly...

hawaiiansteel
09-10-2012, 01:10 AM
and btw, no thanks to that part about giving us Bruce back...

Bruce Arians started his Colts stint by calling 45 pass attempts for his rookie QB, while only calling 15 runs.

not surprisingly, Luck threw 3 INT's and posted a 52.91 Passer Rating. :(

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I agree..

I think the offensive play calling was solid. We controlled the clock and like you said and that is a must when playing Manning. We controlled the clock and Manning still torched us..

Early in the game, we ran short plays to try to bring the 'D' in. The defense adjusted and so did our offensive playcalling. I like that and I almost NEVER saw that with Arians.

I would have liked a few more play action passes but what can you do?

Ben's INT was a poor one but outside of that and redzone execution (not playingcalling), the offense wasn't the problem. Our D was flat out pathetic.

I agree. We kept the Denver defense off balance and on the field for extended periods of time. We converted third downs. The defense couldn't get to Ben even with a wounded OL. Haley's playcalling IMO was better than we ever saw from Arians.

We lost because our defense could do nothing in the second half. They went into the typical passive shell as soon as Manning started having some success.

Steelgal
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
While it wasn't the game plan I thought it might be, I had no problem with it. They were trying to control the clock and did very well. Unfortunately our red zone woes continued, at times, and the little time Peyton got his hands on the ball he made it count. As bad as I thought our defense played, we were a couple of bad decisions away from winning this game. Ben made a couple of bad throws, but overall I was okay with his performance. His timing with Wallace will get better. I thought Heath Miller had a great game last night.

Oviedo
09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
While it wasn't the game plan I thought it might be, I had no problem with it. They were trying to control the clock and did very well. Unfortunately our red zone woes continued, at times, and the little time Peyton got his hands on the ball he made it count. As bad as I thought our defense played, we were a couple of bad decisions away from winning this game. Ben made a couple of bad throws, but overall I was okay with his performance. His timing with Wallace will get better. I thought Heath Miller had a great game last night.

Timing with Wallace is one thing, but Wallace going up and getting a ball versus having it laid in his arms chest level is another.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Every place that he has coached (head coach or offensive coordinator) his teams have sucked at running the football.

Except for, you know, in 2010, when his Chiefs led the NFL with 2627 rushing yards (164.2 yards rushing per game). :lol:

Steelgal
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Timing with Wallace is one thing, but Wallace going up and getting a ball versus having it laid in his arms chest level is another.

Completely agree. My one pet peeve with Wallace has always been he won't go up and get it, fight for it, or try to keep the defender from intercepting it. That's why he is not an elite receiver and doesn't deserve to be paid like one. With his speed, the guy could be really special. But his lack of effort when it's not placed where he wants it is disturbing. Yes, he has more TDs than Brown and it's not even close. But how often do you see Ben throwing to him on 3rd down plays?? Last night Miller and Brown were his go-to guys because he knows they will fight for it IMO.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
and btw, no thanks to that part about giving us Bruce back...

Bruce Arians started his Colts stint by calling 45 pass attempts for his rookie QB, while only calling 15 runs.

not surprisingly, Luck threw 3 INT's and posted a 52.91 Passer Rating. :(

he is the franchise... the next Montana... and I doubt they could run on Chicago.

feltdizz
09-10-2012, 12:07 PM

What's also scary is the lack of Big Ben winning drives lately. Haven't seen a winning drive in a while...

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I think a lot of you have such hatred for Bruce Arians that you are willing to overlook the offense last night. What exactly was different? How many times are the Steelers going to run the inside handoff in a game? That play was called as often as Arians bubble screen, so that's a wash. I think Ben targeted WRs 20 plus yards downfield a handful of times in the entire game, at least, Arians would take his shots. No delay or screen game last night, identical to Arians. If you didn't know Arians was released and watched this game without sound, so you didn't know who the OC was last night you would have guessed Bruce Arians was still on the job.

Ben did use his RBs a couple times when he was in trouble, but when it mattered most he reverted to the gunslinger and tried to make a play that wasn't there. IMO, not much changed in offensive philosophy last night from last year. The offense looked the same to me; the Steelers put themselves in 3rd and 6 plus yards and Ben making plays, it's what he does better than any quarterback in the league. Not to mention that the illegal formations and illegal motion penalties still remain, I'm not sure what anyone saw that looked so different than last year. Of course, I readily admit that I don't anything about blocking schemes, line calls, route trees, etc., so maybe, a lot was different technically, but from execution and play calling, not much changed.

Pappy

papillon
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
What's also scary is the lack of Big Ben winning drives lately. Haven't seen a winning drive in a while...

Man, I was thinking the same thing, it seems the Super Bowl winner was the last big one, but I'm sure there have been some since then. But in general, it seems that the Steelers and Ben are coming up short in crunch time.

Pappy