PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to Sign DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB)

SteelCrazy
09-06-2012, 09:39 PM
The fastest man at the 2011 combine is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Pro Football Talk has learned that the Steelers will sign cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke. Van Dyke was waived by the Raiders on Monday when they signed veteran corner Joselio Hanson.

Van Dyke, who passed through waivers unclaimed, ran a 4.28 40 at last year’s combine. That helped him become a third-round pick of the Raiders, who were never shy about picking up players who could run like the wind.

As they say, you can’t teach speed. Van Dyke’s problem is that he sometimes made it look like he couldn’t be taught cornerback either. He was part of a Raiders cornerback corps that allowed opponents 251 yards per game through the air. None of the five cornerbacks who saw extensive time for the Raiders last season are still with the team, with Van Dyke helping to author his own pink slip with a rough night in a preseason game against Arizona.

Still, he’s got that speed and he’s 6’1″, which is a combination that makes football people try to make it all work out. Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are set as the starters in Pittsburgh, with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown in reserve. Van Dyke will try to work his way into the rotation while working with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and other Steelers coaches try to put his impressive physical tools to better use on the field.

There’s no word of a corresponding move, although the Steelers could place rookie guard David DeCastro on injured reserve with the designation that he’s able to return after eight weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/steelers-will-sign-demarcus-van-dyke/

SteelCrazy
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
What does this mean for Essex? I dont think Van Dyke is eligible for the practice squad, but im not sure how many games he played last year.

flippy
09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Ah, the good ole days of Slick (Andy Van Slyke).

That guy was always a fan favorite. The hustle, the guys he threw out at home plate. What wasn't to like about the guy.

Let's hope Van Dyke is another Pittsburgh cult classic.

NorthCoast
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Apparently looked good in practice but total fail in games:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=CB (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72230&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB)

and Raiders gave up:

Would the real DeMarcus Van Dyke please stand up

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/607316/5771756_f8ba_625x1000_1__tiny.jpg by Levi Damien (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Levi%20Damien) on Aug 25, 2012 3:19 PM PDT (http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2012/8/25/3268387/would-the-real-demarcus-van-dyke-please-stand-up)

There has been an imposter on the Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/oakland-raiders) this year. Physically he is the looks like Raiders corner DeMarcus Van Dyke (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/130926/demarcus-van-dyke), but his performance has been inconsistent. The one version shows up big in practice while the other version gets lit up on game day. What we don't know is which Van Dyke is the imposter.

Last week, defensive coordinator Jason Tarver called out Van Dyke's play in the game versus his play in practice.
"DeMarcus, I would really like to see him play like he plays out here, and just play with what we know he can do." Said Tarver. "And he's heard that from me this week, so that's what I'd like to see him do. Play like he plays at practice, because he plays pretty good at practice."
This Statement resonated with the second year corner.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v59c7267.jpg
"It's my second year so I can't really talk about what happened in years past." Said Van Dyke. "Coach JT is trying to get us right for the game and he's doing a great job with it right now.
"You know, I've got to pick it up. I'm not satisfied with how I've been playing. I haven't been playing like I thought I was supposed to be. But it's a process, it's game by game, preseason games. So hopefully this game I'll come out and play good.
"I've just got to just go out there and play ball. I'm doing too much thinking I think, and Coach Tarver, he gave me a lot of advice, just telling me to go out there and just play ball. Don't worry about making mistakes, just play like I was the first two weeks of camp... just too much thinking of trying to make a play, just pressing too much I think."
Van Dyke is not a starter so he may escape having to face Calvin Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/19053/calvin-johnson). But then again, he has not faced the number one corners against either the Cowboys (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/dallas-cowboys) or the Cardinals (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/arizona-cardinals) and he still have up quite a few bit catches. The Lions (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/detroit-lions) offense offers a threat all its own, even without Megatron pulling down Matt Stafford passes.
"Their offense is pretty up-tempo. They have great receiver, they have a great quarterback, and I'm really excited to see how we do against these guys. They have one of the better receivers and one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now.
Coach Tarver also said on Wednesday that he is not as concerned so much with stats or stopping the opposing offense every time. He prefers a bend but don't break type of approach. As he says "control what you can control." Van Dyke is using that philosophy to try and keep him from getting to down on himself.
"You're going to take some bad, you're going to take some good." Said Van Dyke. "It's how you bounce back from it."
The time to bounce back may be today for DVD. Performing in practice is one thing. But if the guy that shows up for the game doesn't match that production, the team will not be comfortable putting him on the field.
Van Dyke will likely have about one quarter to play in this game and try to instill some confidence in his coaches. If he gets torched again, we may not see him in Silver and Black much longer.

steelblood
09-07-2012, 06:53 AM
This is a surprising move. It is not like us to sign a project player at this stage (especially when we are short on OL and WR).

Oviedo
09-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Carnell Lake to the rescue. If anyone can teach this kid to play to his potential it is Lake. If he does we just robbed the rest of the NFL. It does create a logjam at CB but that is a great problem to have. Maybe the plan is someone eventually shifts to Safety which is a desperate need depth wise.

Oviedo
09-07-2012, 07:42 AM
This is a surprising move. It is not like us to sign a project player at this stage (especially when we are short on OL and WR).

It leads me to believe that the Steelers were looking at him last year but the Raiders grabbed him before they could. IMO, they must have been pretty high on Van Dyke to do this.

TD386Steel
09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Steelers Depot wrote a nice article on it & him this morning in it they talk about his stengths weakness, and the fact that hes had to different coaches and no training camp his first year. I like the pickup hope that Carnell can do something with him. He'll do wonders for my nickle and dime packages in Madden 13 :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
It leads me to believe that the Steelers were looking at him last year but the Raiders grabbed him before they could. IMO, they must have been pretty high on Van Dyke to do this.

I'm holding out hope that this move could be filed under the "Nobody wants to play for the Raiders" category when we revisit how the Steelers ended up with Van Dyke down the road. It isn't how a kid should handle himself professionally but I am not naive & know it just happens. I am hoping this is the case and the Steelers staff makes something out of him.

SidSmythe
09-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Steelers Depot wrote a nice article on it & him this morning in it they talk about his stengths weakness, and the fact that hes had to different coaches and no training camp his first year. I like the pickup hope that Carnell can do something with him. He'll do wonders for my nickle and dime packages in Madden 13 :D

YES!! good idea. But unless i'm blitzing him I will probably manually control him

phillyesq
09-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Carnell Lake to the rescue. If anyone can teach this kid to play to his potential it is Lake. If he does we just robbed the rest of the NFL. It does create a logjam at CB but that is a great problem to have. Maybe the plan is someone eventually shifts to Safety which is a desperate need depth wise.

Yeah, Van Dyke certainly has all the physical tools to succeed -- he's 6'1" with blazing speed. If Lake can coach him up, he could be a great asset. If nothing else, I would hope that his speed would help him contribute on special teams.

papillon
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Did the Raiders play predominantly a zone or man-2-man on the backside of their defense? Could it be that his particular skills size and speed didn't translate into the scheme they were playing? Or, is his football IQ not high enough to grasp the intricacies of an NFL defense? Of course, and we'll find out soon enough, it could simply be that when the lights go on he can't hold up under the pressure (see Limas Sweed). The one article indicates that he looks good in practice, but couldn't translate it during a game. I guess the Steelers will find out over the next 8 weeks when they place Decastro on the temporary IR or whatever they call it.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2012, 10:57 AM

We aren't exactly overflowing with corners either. Last year we kept 6 corners and 4 safeties, and this year we kept 4 corners and 5 safeties (subtracted Gay and McFadden, added Golden). In this passing league of today, where teams aren't shy to go 4-wide, you should probably have more than just 4 corners (1 injury there, and you are in quite a bind).

Oviedo
09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I need help understanding why some of these guys can't easily convert to Safety. If CB is the more difficult position to play, requiring more talent it would seem like taking a guy struggling there and moving him to Safety might help him suceed. Obviously it isn't that easy but given our lack of depth at Safety can anyone knowledgeable discuss?

TD386Steel
09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJxlmk9WIBg&feature=related

steelblood
09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
We aren't exactly overflowing with corners either. Last year we kept 6 corners and 4 safeties, and this year we kept 4 corners and 5 safeties (subtracted Gay and McFadden, added Golden). In this passing league of today, where teams aren't shy to go 4-wide, you should probably have more than just 4 corners (1 injury there, and you are in quite a bind).

I don't disagree, but a fourth or fifth corner only needs to be able to play special teams and dime. A safety can also fill this role and they often do in today's NFL especially if injury necessitates it.

Also, I fully expected us to cut a safety at some point after the Denver game and add another CB. May be unnecessary now.

lloydroid
09-07-2012, 01:28 PM

If the Raiders cut him they did for a reason; I doubt this guy pans out. But we could field a killer 4 x 100 relay track team: Wallace, Rainey, Van Dyke, Brown - that's a fast group.

papillon
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
If the Raiders cut him they did for a reason; I doubt this guy pans out. But we could field a killer 4 x 100 relay track team: Wallace, Rainey, Van Dyke, Brown - that's a fast group.

That indeed may be the case, but there is history of players being released by one team and picked by another and the player flourishing, Jerome Bettis comes to mind. I'm not saying we're going to find a HOFer in Van Dyke, but until Lake and Lebeau get a chance to work him out and see what he can do I'll be guardedly optimistic.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-07-2012, 01:44 PM

The Raiders aren't exactly the model organization when it comes to personnel decisions. A change of pace, and coaching, could really help this guy.

TD386Steel
09-07-2012, 02:18 PM
The Raiders aren't exactly the model organization when it comes to personnel decisions. A change of pace, and coaching, could really help this guy.

I agree and think its insane to cut a 3rd round pick with so much talent & potential, that didn't even get a training camp after his 1st year.

Oviedo
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I agree and think its insane to cut a 3rd round pick with so much talent & potential, that didn't even get a training camp after his 1st year.

Or he is the second coming of Ricardo Coclough

I'll stay optimistic and bet on Carnell Lake.

NJ-STEELER
09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
That indeed may be the case, but there is history of players being released by one team and picked by another and the player flourishing, Jerome Bettis comes to mind. I'm not saying we're going to find a HOFer in Van Dyke, but until Lake and Lebeau get a chance to work him out and see what he can do I'll be guardedly optimistic.

Pappy

bettis was traded

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
bettis was traded

that is correct, the Steelers gave the Rams a 2nd and a 4th round draft choice for Bettis.

meanwhile, Van Dyke was released outright and passed through waivers without a single team claiming him.

Shawn
09-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Agreed...I think DVD is one of those guys Tomlinson likes because he has "things you can't teach".

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Agreed...I think DVD is one of those guys Tomlinson likes because he has "things you can't teach".

so now you're calling Tomlin "son" too? ;)

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Raiders finish cleaning house at cornerback

By Eric Gilmore | CBSSports.com
September 3, 2012

The Raiders completed their overhaul at cornerback Monday, releasing DeMarcus Van Dyke and signing free agent corner Joselio Hanson, who had been cut by Philadelphia.

Van Dyke was the last cornerback on the 53-man roster who played for the Raiders in 2011. During the offseason, they released starters Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson and let Lito Sheppard leave as a free agent. They cut cornerbacks Bryan McCann and Chimdi Chekwa on Saturday -- Chekwa was signed to the practice squad on Sunday.

The Raiders made it a clean cornerback sweep when they released Van Dyke, a third-round pick out of Miami last year.

“I think as things played out throughout OTAs, minicamp and in training camp, we felt like that was a position that we needed to try to upgrade, and we felt like with the players that we brought in here that it helps us as a team to be better,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

Offseason free agent pickups Ron Bartell (St. Louis) and Shawntae Spencer (San Francisco) are the new starters. The Raiders also added free agent Pat Lee (Green Bay) to the cornerback mix during the offseason. They claimed cornerback Coye Francois off waivers from Seattle on Wednesday and cornerback Phillip Adams off waivers from the Seahawks on Saturday.

“It's all about winning,” Raiders free safety Michael Huff said. “Nobody's safe. If you're not doing your job, they're going to get somebody better.”

Hanson played the past six seasons with Philadelphia, primarily as a slot corner in the nickel.

“I have so much experience in the slot it's like second nature to me now,” Hanson said. “I feel like you have to be real smart in the slot and you have to know formations. I use my quickness to my advantage in the slot. Have to be tough. Have to fill the run. Almost kind of like a linebacker, a slash linebacker DB.”

Hanson said the Seahawks and Dolphins showed interest, but he chose the Raiders because he wanted to play for a team in California -- he grew up in Southern California -- and he like's this team's potential.

“I'm happy, man. I'm back in California,” Hanson said. “I grew up in L.A. a Raider fan, so this is a dream come true. Have a lot of talent here on offense, a lot of talent on defense. They can plug me in, too. I just want to contribute whichever way I can and hopefully l learn this playbook real fast and I can play on Monday.”

Adams adds depth in the nickel, too, but he can also help as a punt returner. As a rookie for the 49ers in 2010, he returned a punt 83 yards for a touchdown. He returned four punts for 29 yards during the regular season that year and had been used by Seattle as a punt returner during this preseason.

“I'm just looking forward to the opportunity,” Adams said. “Happy I'm here. Just going to go out here and play hard. I'm just glad I'm here.”

The 49ers signed Adams in the seventh round in 2010. He's also spent time with the Patriots and Seahawks, so the Raiders are his fourth team, entering his third season.

“I don't think it's anything you get used to,” Adams said of changing teams. “I just think that you just keep on working. You just find a way to keep on working, getting better as a player. Hopefully a situation will be a good one for you. I think this one is. You want a place you call home.”

Van Dyke thought he'd found a home in Oakland when the Raiders drafted the speedster last year. But he struggled as a rookie and played poorly throughout much of this preseason.

“The NFL is not forgiving,” Bartell said. “It's always going to keep moving. It's not going to wait on any of us. You don't get used to seeing people come and go. No matter how long you play, it's not a pleasant part of the job. People put a lot into this. It's tough to see, especially younger guys who haven't had a full opportunity yet, it's tough to see them go. DVD's a talented young guy. He'll catch on somewhere.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20037976/raiders-finish-cleaning-house-at-cornerback

BigRob
09-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Apparently he was playing lights out for the first 2 weeks of camp and then fell apart in preseason games.

That sounds an awful lot like Keenan Lewis in 2010. Along comes Carnell Lake and the light pops for Lewis.

It's been said that Rahim Moore played his best football for Carnell Lake at UCLA.

Let's hope Carnell does it again with Van Lesbian. :Boobs

Slapstick
09-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Apparently he was playing lights out for the first 2 weeks of camp and then fell apart in preseason games.

That sounds an awful lot like Keenan Lewis in 2010. Along comes Carnell Lake and the light pops for Lewis.

It's been said that Rahim Moore played his best football for Carnell Lake at UCLA.

Let's hope Carnell does it again with Van Lesbian. :Boobs

It occurs to me that the guy who would have scouted DVD for the Raiders in 2011 was their DB coach at the time, one Roderick Woodson...Van Dyke was drafted, in part, due to Woodson's opinion of him...

Woodson was not retained by the Raiders, so it makes sense to me that the Raiders would cut ties with the players he brought in as well...

I would also imagine that there may have been some contact made, possibly by Carnell Lake himself, with Woodson regarding his firsthand experience in scouting and coaching Van Dyke...

Just a guess...

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJxlmk9WIBg&feature=related

Interesting that the first highlight in this clip compilation (the INT in the end zone and subsequent 75 yard runback) took place at Heinz Field. I also liked that many of the highlights were of him hitting people (so he's not just a soft speed demon type...he apparently doesn't mind getting his nose dirty, which is what he'll need to do, since #5 corners need to produce on special teams in order to stick around). Anyone know anything about his ST prowess while in Oakland?

AkronSteel
09-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I like this move! The Steelers needed additional depth at the CB position and this is obviously a player that they coveted last year in the draft and see potential in. He has good size and excellent speed. He will contribute immediately on special teams that had me concerned during the preseason as far as the coverage units. Plus, the guy is loaded with natural talent and if Carnell can coach him up he could be a major contributor. This is one of those guys that the Steelers will pull off the scrap heap and the Raiders will regret letting him go. Plus on a side note I was playing Madden last night and got to the Raiders game and the guy picked off Big Ben twice in the first half. I thought to myself.....well that has to be a good sign, either that our I just suck!!! LOL

papillon
09-08-2012, 09:37 PM
bettis was traded

Hmm, my bad, old age and a fading memory.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-09-2012, 10:52 AM
With the signing of Van Dyke that obviously means that they are not going to resign Essex. Once Saunders comes off suspension who gets cut?

Maybe Van Dyke is a short term signing and he has just 4 weeks to show the coaches what he has in the tank?

NJ-STEELER
09-09-2012, 12:14 PM
paulson

they're not gonna keep 4 TEs

hawaiiansteel
09-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Tomlin on the Broncos

Q. The team signed cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on Friday. What can you tell us about him?

A. We were interested in this young man when he came out in the draft in 2011. Obviously, we ended up with Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, but he was within that group and in that range from a grading standpoint. I was at his pro day. He’s got big-time upside, he’s an extremely fast guy. It was an opportunity for us to put a young cornerback in the mix and continue to work with him and develop his skill and see if maybe he can help us at some point.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-the-Broncos/1445ce4b-8152-40b6-b08c-d631f5626ec5

TD386Steel
09-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Tomlin on the Broncos

Q. The team signed cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on Friday. What can you tell us about him?

A. We were interested in this young man when he came out in the draft in 2011. Obviously, we ended up with Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, but he was within that group and in that range from a grading standpoint. I was at his pro day. He’s got big-time upside, he’s an extremely fast guy. It was an opportunity for us to put a young cornerback in the mix and continue to work with him and develop his skill and see if maybe he can help us at some point.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-the-Broncos/1445ce4b-8152-40b6-b08c-d631f5626ec5

Nice post Hawaiian. Did you see who downed the ball at the 1 yd line?