PDA

View Full Version : Spindenhall practices in a FULL fashion

lloydroid
09-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - Mark Kaboly

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) fully participated in practice Wednesday, Sept. 5.

If they rush him back, they are idiots. No reason to rush him back. NONE. Let the other guys have some carries and see what happens.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
If he's healthy, he's our best option. Period.

BigRob
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
This reminds me of that movie Friday Night Lights when Booby Miles came back too soon and blew his knee out again. Just sayin.

lloydroid
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM

That's not a fact. JD would out perform him, because he doesn't run like a wuss. Spindenhall stutter steps and spins far too much. His talent never did translate to the NFL. I hope he's off the roster next year. His fumble cost the franchise their 7th ring. Can't get rid of him fast enough. Not to mention, he thinks bin Laden is a good guy.

phillyesq
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
That's not a fact. JD would out perform him, because he doesn't run like a wuss. Spindenhall stutter steps and spins far too much. His talent never did translate to the NFL. I hope he's off the roster next year. His fumble cost the franchise their 7th ring. Can't get rid of him fast enough. Not to mention, he thinks bin Laden is a good guy.

Oh, so that's your take on Mendenhall and Dwyer. Got it. It was so vague before. :p

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 03:08 PM

I agree. He is our best RB but if we don't have to play him I would wait until after the bye week.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh, so that's your take on Mendenhall and Dwyer. Got it. It was so vague before. :p

It's also stated in about 5 or 6 other threads if you want to confirm.;)

Shawn
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Mendenhall is clearly the best RB we have...and the best chance we have at winning. With that said, I want a fresh pair of legs middle to late season...and I would love for that to be Mendenhall. Give the guy 4-5 more weeks...8 months in indeed early in anyones book. Lets get a gauge on where we are with Dwyer and Redman. My 2 cents.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Mendenhall is clearly the best RB we have...and the best chance we have at winning. With that said, I want a fresh pair of legs middle to late season...and I would love for that to be Mendenhall. Give the guy 4-5 more weeks...8 months in indeed early in anyones book. Lets get a gauge on where we are with Dwyer and Redman. My 2 cents.

Your 2 cents may be worth a nickle because that is a good opinion that I also share.

lloydroid
09-06-2012, 03:41 PM

OK, let me reiterate so I am clear. Spindenhall = tentative runner who has all the physical skills to be great but lacks passion, decisiveness and power. (He has the power but he rarely uses it.)

JD = lazy in the beginning of his career and that is why we got him so late in the draft. But when motivated, which he appears to be now considering he came into camp weighing 20 lbs lighter, he runs with more purpose and drive than does RM and will rip off more big plays than RM will.

I hope I am not being vague.

eniparadoxgma
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
OK, let me reiterate so I am clear. Spindenhall = tentative runner who has all the physical skills to be great but lacks passion, decisiveness and power. (He has the power but he rarely uses it.)

JD = lazy in the beginning of his career and that is why we got him so late in the draft. But when motivated, which he appears to be now considering he came into camp weighing 20 lbs lighter, he runs with more purpose and drive than does RM and will rip off more big plays than RM will.

Okay, so what you're saying is that despite Dwyer's overachieving this preseason you're taking a "wait and see" approach, and will be happy with whoever ends at up taking the majority of the snaps at RB as long as they help the team win?

Got it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2012, 04:08 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/02/Sarcasm.jpg

blacknblue80s
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I was really looking forward to watching Mendy run with an improved o-line, but as it sits now, IMO, Redman can be more productive.

Shawn
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM

And you base your opinion on a very small sample size that consists mainly of preseason games?

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I was really looking forward to watching Mendy run with an improved o-line, but as it sits now, IMO, Redman can be more productive.

Can Redman play or is he still dinged up?

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Can Redman play or is he still dinged up?

I recently read where Redman's ankle injury may very well bother him somewhat for the rest of the season.

D Rock
09-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I recently read where Redman's ankle injury may very well bother him somewhat for the rest of the season.

It's comforting to know that the Steelers drafted God in the 6th rd of the 2010 draft, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem overall.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 05:14 PM
It's comforting to know that the Steelers drafted God in the 6th rd of the 2010 draft, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem overall.

thankfully it doesn't always take God a couple of years before he shows up like it has with Dwyer or this world would be in big trouble...

feltdizz
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM

God? We drafted the Father, Son AND Holy Ghost in the 6th... and on the seventh, we rested.

I can't believe I fell for another JD love thread.

lloydroid
09-06-2012, 05:55 PM
And you base your opinion on a very small sample size that consists mainly of preseason games?

It's called "predicting." Shoot, son, I didn't conclude this from some preseason games; I already had this belief as soon as I checked him out after the drafted him. I have been telling every football fan friend I have that JD is going to shock some people in a good way.

lloydroid
09-06-2012, 05:57 PM

With his rushing style, etc. I assume he will be dinged all year, whether if it's with that ankle or a garden variety of other possible ouchies.

ikestops85
09-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I still don't see Mendy getting much in the way of playing time this week. Redman and Dwyer will get the vast majority of the carries and both will perform well. That's my prediction.

DukieBoy
09-06-2012, 06:22 PM
God? We drafted the Father, Son AND Holy Ghost in the 6th... and on the seventh, we rested.

I can't believe I fell for another JD love thread.

This is very funny.

D Rock
09-06-2012, 07:17 PM
It's called "predicting." Shoot, son, I didn't conclude this from some preseason games; I already had this belief as soon as I checked him out after the drafted him. I have been telling every football fan friend I have that JD is going to shock some people in a good way.

and there it is...the sure sign of an internet nuisance. Calling other people 'son'.

dreegking
09-06-2012, 07:47 PM
If Mendy is fit to play, which I suspect he will be, I think he gets at least a third of the carries. I see this game as a rb by committee approach. Whether that is alternating series or being assigned downs (Mendy - 1st, Dwyer - 2nd, Redmen - 3rd and 4th), they should end up being equal contributors this game.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
and there it is...the sure sign of an internet nuisance. Calling other people 'son'.

Good call, son. :p

pittpete
09-07-2012, 03:52 PM
I hit it right on the head "insanesteelers is lloydroid & lloydroid is insanesteelers fan"

With his rushing style, etc. I assume he will be dinged all year, whether if it's with that ankle or a garden variety of other possible ouchies.
So will 99% of the RB's in the NFL.
Didnt you state you come from a medical family?:wink:

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I hit it right on the head "insanesteelers is lloydroid & lloydroid is insanesteelers fan"

does this mean lloydroid has a 30 inch waist and can preacher curl 10,000 lbs 500 times?

lloydroid
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Everyone calls everyone "son" these days. What are you, 90 years old? It's just how dudes speak to each other these days. It's 2012, son.

lloydroid
09-07-2012, 05:23 PM

So will 99% of the RB's in the NFL.
Didnt you state you come from a medical family?:wink:

99% of the running backs in the NFL are going to miss significant time due to injuries? Wow. Really? That's quite a prediction, how much you want to bet it doesn't come true.

I do come from a family chalk full of health care professionals, yes.

D Rock
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Everyone calls everyone "son" these days. What are you, 90 years old? It's just how dudes speak to each other these days. It's 2012, son.

No, they don't. No, I'm not. No, it's not. Yes, it is.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
my wife recently called me "Son", only thing is she followed it immediately with the words "of a b!tch"...:(

pittpete
09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
99% of the running backs in the NFL are going to miss significant time due to injuries?

Where in your thread did you say miss significant time?
You said he would be dinged up..
I said so will 99% of NFL RB's this year.
Unless dinged up means miss significant time.
What you think son?

Slapstick
09-07-2012, 08:00 PM

On which planet?

Not on Planet Earth...nor on Planet Steelers...

Calling somebody "son" is a deliberate attempt to be a condescending douchebag...

DukieBoy
09-07-2012, 11:04 PM
J

Condescention is a counterproductive behavior on several levels, and succeeds mostly in making the condescender look weak and foolish.

Discipline of Steel
09-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I dont think Mendy will get a lot of carries this game. Expecting he will have a series or two to shake off the rust...unless of course he spins out of a tackle and rips off a long gainer. Next weeks starter should be wide open though.

Oviedo
09-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I dont think Mendy will get a lot of carries this game. Expecting he will have a series or two to shake off the rust...unless of course he spins out of a tackle and rips off a long gainer. Next weeks starter should be wide open though.

Mendy, Dwyer and Redman are going to have to earn the starter designation. Nothing wrong with that. IMO Dwyer takes the early lead before Mendy comes back and secures his rightful place.

blacknblue80s
09-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I expect Redman to get the majority of the carries despite the ankle injury. IMO, he's the only guy that we can rely on to get positive yardage consistently.

And agreed that calling people son is dickish.

DukieBoy
09-08-2012, 11:46 AM
On which planet?

Not on Planet Earth...nor on Planet Steelers...

Calling somebody "son" is a deliberate attempt to be a condescending douchebag...

Reminds me of Frank Costanza at a dinner party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MCtC_U4e2o

Snatch98
09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I expect Redman to get the majority of the carries despite the ankle injury. IMO, he's the only guy that we can rely on to get positive yardage consistently.

And agreed that calling people son is dickish.

I have more confidence in a healthy Dwyer than a banged up Redman. On top of that Redman's running style is to run through tackles where as Dwyer is making the cuts to get downfield without a ton of contact. Redman as a starting back will not last long in this league. I don't believe he's a starting tailback period and once Mendenhall is recovered I could see Redman as the 3rd man on the totem pole.

Slapstick
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I have more confidence in a healthy Dwyer than a banged up Redman.

Why?

What has Dwyer done to inspire confidence?

Run for 121 yards against the Denver defense last year?

Nope...

And, Redman wasn't limited in practice this week...

Snatch98
09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Why?

What has Dwyer done to inspire confidence?

Run for 121 yards against the Denver defense last year?

Nope...

And, Redman wasn't limited in practice this week...

Redman's running style doesn't lend to any sort of longevity. He's going to be oft injured all the time. Dwyer (yes i understand it was the preseason) has shown that he has the feet and the vision to pick up the tough yards without destroying his body. He looked pretty damn good and most are on board that wagon. We'll see how he fares week 1 but I've never been a big proponent of Redman as the "starter" of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not a starting tailback. He's a prefect platoon compliment.

Slapstick
09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Redman's running style doesn't lend to any sort of longevity. He's going to be oft injured all the time. Dwyer (yes i understand it was the preseason) has shown that he has the feet and the vision to pick up the tough yards without destroying his body. He looked pretty damn good and most are on board that wagon. We'll see how he fares week 1 but I've never been a big proponent of Redman as the "starter" of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not a starting tailback. He's a prefect platoon compliment.

Pay attentiuon to Redman when he isn't running in a short yardage situation...the whole reason that people seem to think he'll be "oft injured" is because he ran against a stacked defensive line for most of his career carries...

Against both Cleveland and Denver, when he actually got carries on 1st and 2nd down, he turned out to be quite elusive and able to earn some decent gains...

Speaking of injuries, one of the RBs in question finished last season on Injured Reserve...and it wasn't Redman...

Now, do I want Dwyer to do well? Of course! If he does, it will be great for the team...

Am I confident that Dwyer will do well? No, not at all...

But, it would be nice...

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Among RB's, Mendenhall is currently listed as doubtful (knee), Baron Batch as questionable (groin), and Redman as probable (ankle).

The only 3 players designated as out so far are Ryan Clark, Stevenson Sylvester, and David DeCastro.

James Harrison is questionable.

Foote, Keisel, and Worilds are all probable.

http://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report.html

pittpete
09-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Who cares who starts...
As long as they hold onto the ball and p/u the blitzes we should be ok rotating backs.
In todays NFL there is rarely a featured back that plays every down anyway.

blacknblue80s
09-08-2012, 06:19 PM

IMO, Redman is our best cut-back runner, and he doesn't need a big hole to get good yardage, as I believe Dwyer does.

Most of Dwyer's impressive runs were a product of some good blocking that opened huge holes for him.

Oviedo
09-09-2012, 08:28 AM
IMO, Redman is our best cut-back runner, and he doesn't need a big hole to get good yardage, as I believe Dwyer does.

Most of Dwyer's impressive runs were a product of some good blocking that opened huge holes for him.

The appearance of "good blocking" is also a result of Dwyer being able to read and set up his blocks. That is running instincts that are not natural for all RBs.