PDA

View Full Version : So Who Is the New Stud?

AkronSteel
09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
What player on the Steelers squad is going to step up and be the next great Steeler on offense or defense? There always seems to be a player every year that steps up and becomes a difference maker. Last year it was Antonio Brown!! Who do you guys think it will be this year.

Chris Carter? The guy has looked solid in the preseason with his ability off the edge to get to the QB. He gained valuable experience playing a ton of snaps with the first team this summer. It looks like he could share time with JH early on and could give the Steelers the ability to rotate Harrison and Woodley out to keep everyone fresh.

Chris Rainey? The kid could be electric not only on offense but maybe more so on special teams. He has an uncanny ability to break tackles and has exceptional speed and open field ability. This kid could be a big play guy for the squad this year, and appears to be a steal in the 5th round.

Jonathan Dwyer? The kid had a great preseason not only running the ball but also showing the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. I believe he will take carries away from Redman early and could show enough that he will be in the RB rotation all season.

Cortez Allen? The kid has a ton of natural ability and even though he has some more growing to do he could turn himself into one of the best CB's in the league. The potential is definitely there.

Keenan Lewis? Could this guy finally solidify the CB position opposite Ike Taylor. He has shown the ability to stay with just about any receiver he has faced in the last 14 months and has really improved over the course of his first 3 seasons. Could he take that next step and become a potential Pro Bowl CB?

Ziggy Hood/Cameron Heyward/Steve McClendon? Can these guys show that the Steelers do have young talent up front with the ability to replace old stalwarts like Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton. The Steelers better hope so considering the spent 2 First Rounders on 2/3 of these guys.

What do yinz think? Who is the next Antonio Brown or Mike Wallace??

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 03:08 AM
I say Ziggy Hood...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QNiUPrDF5II/TUxyGY6RSdI/AAAAAAAAAGY/ILwKAYLf7cY/s1600/Ziggy+Hood.jpg

Keyplay1
09-06-2012, 05:33 AM
An impressive list in every group. Every one of those players has a really high ceiling. But, since as they say, things start up front I'll go with your DL group.

You said: "Ziggy Hood/Cameron Heyward/Steve McClendon? Can these guys show that the Steelers do have young talent up front with the ability to replace old stalwarts like Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton. The Steelers better hope so considering the spent 2 First Rounders on 2/3 of these guys.

Really like this group. But for the future stud I like Heyward. Even though he is not starting he gradually is getting better and better. I can see him as a regular pro-bowler in future years.

steelblood
09-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Ziggy Hood.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Ziggy Hood and Steve McLendon are going to have great seasons.

Discipline of Steel
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Chris Rainey will be making splash plays all year long.

aggiebones
09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Hopefully rainy will make positive splash plays, not like the 1 made by David Wilson last night on his first carry as a new York Gianants

SidSmythe
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Ramon Foster steps up big time in Decastro's place.

phillyesq
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I really hope that Ziggy, McClendon and Heyward all step up this year. I've read some mixed reviews on Heyward and he has me a bit worried. McClendon seems like a guy that could have a real impact used in a rotation, including giving him some snaps on passing downs.

With the extra snaps in the preseason and hopefully a clean bill of health, I think Manny Sanders could be a real weapon as the third WR.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Ramon Foster steps up big time in Decastro's place.

Put down the crack pipe and come off that limb before you fall and get hurt.

Foster is the same OG who couldn't move the opposing defensive line and bled inside pressure on Ben. Our problems in short yardage was directly attributable to the poor interior line play we had the last two years from our Guards...Foster, Kemo and Legursky.

Slapstick
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Put down the crack pipe and come off that limb before you fall and get hurt.

Foster is the same OG who couldn't move the opposing defensive line and bled inside pressure on Ben. Our problems in short yardage was directly attributable to the poor interior line play we had the last two years from our Guards...Foster, Kemo and Legursky.

We never seem to have problems in short yardage when Redman ran it on 3rd and one...

Strangely, on 3rd and 2, we never attempted to run it, passing every time...

That's on Arians...

SidSmythe
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
We never seem to have problems in short yardage when Redman ran it on 3rd and one...

Strangely, on 3rd and 2, we never attempted to run it, passing every time...

That's on Arians...

Yeah OVI!!! Take that!!
We will see and by midseason you will be saying "Smythe is the master commander!!!" :moon

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah OVI!!! Take that!!
We will see and by midseason you will be saying "Smythe is the master commander!!!" :moon

I think I'm far more likely to see Foster get stoned at the LOS or pushed back into Ben's face.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Cortez Allen. I can't recall the last time one of our corners had more than a couple of interceptions in a season (if that). Even though he is the #3 CB and therefore not officially a starter, in this new passing league we should be in nickel/dime defense more often than we are in base defense, so Allen should see the field aplenty. I'm thinking Cortez bucks that trend with 4 or 5 INT's, plus double digit passes defensed, and solid run support as well.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah OVI!!! Take that!!

That's better than the master baiter. ;)

http://www.bitchdujour.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/master-baiter-tshirt.jpg

flippy
09-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm on the Cortez bandwagon. And I don't even think his stats will tell the whole story. He represents a potential shift in the defense with a 3rd big CB that allows Lebeau to play more press coverage. Help the pass rush. And unleash the corner blitz again.

My second choice would be the Zigster. He's gonna need some help from the rest of the front 7 and better coverage to put up stats. He's the guy in the front 7 that's going to get all the double teams. He's gotten incredibly strong.

My 3rd would be Manny Sanders. He's gonna benefit greatly from Wally and Brown getting the attention. He'll always be open and should have a really easy time being successful in the slot and with old reliable Ward gone and Heath probably being needed in pass pro again with our line where it is.

blacknblue80s
09-06-2012, 03:59 PM
At some point this season I think Mike Adams will replace Starks and help us to feel slightly less sick about the DeCastro injury.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
At some point this season I think Mike Adams will replace Starks and help us to feel slightly less sick about the DeCastro injury.

Not this season. Pouncey and Starks are what holds this OL together (very soon I might add Colon to that list, but not yet). Adams is only replacing Starks due to injury.

I will continue to feel sick about the DeCastro injury because it means Foster is playing in his place. More of the problems we have seen the past couple of year. Foster is an adequete back up but he is not top line starter material like DeCastro can become.

Sugar
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
ZIGGY will be the man!!!

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 05:04 PM
ZIGGY will be the man!!!

I agree if he is allowed to go into "attack mode" versus dance with the OL and hold them up.

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about me.

I would say McClendon but I don't think they'll give him as much playingtime since Hampton is back.

Ziggy has gotten in better shape but I don't think he has the technique

If they kept two TE on the field I would say Saunders. They hardly throw to Heath so that theory is out.

Given the chance I see Sanders being a star but, he won't get that chance.

Carter won't be a stud or anything like Harrison if that is what some of you have on your wish list.

The only guy outside of Gilbert that has a chance is Lewis. I say these two because they are new and will get the playing time. They won't be studs, too much growing pains your first starting season.

All and all, I see no new studs this season except for Rainy on special teams.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about me.

All and all, I see no new studs this season except for Rainy on special teams.

if you're not going to say overwhelmingly positive things about all of our Steelers in every post we are going to have to ban you from this message board...:D

Eddie Spaghetti
09-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I will continue to feel sick about the DeCastro injury because it means Foster is playing in his place. More of the problems we have seen the past couple of year. Foster is an adequete back up but he is not top line starter material like DeCastro can become.

again with this same drivel all year, awesome.

foster was one of the more consistent OL we had last year, but your personal bias won't let you admit it. And your boy urbik got effin whipped 2 weeks ago, but yet not one peep about he "was released too soon".

foster won't be the reason we win or lose. I'm confident he will hold up his end. He just won't be perfect as you seem to expect.

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 09:58 PM
if you're not going to say overwhelmingly positive things about all of our Steelers in every post we are going to have to ban you from this message board...:D

ahhhh, you need to kick the dust of the tavern's site from your shoes hawaiin. This is an adult site with no little children throwing temper tantrums because someone did not agree with them.

flippy
09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
again with this same drivel all year, awesome.

foster was one of the more consistent OL we had last year, but your personal bias won't let you admit it. And your boy urbik got effin whipped 2 weeks ago, but yet not one peep about he "was released too soon".

foster won't be the reason we win or lose. I'm confident he will hold up his end. He just won't be perfect as you seem to expect.

I'm a little mixed on Foster personally. He'll have great blocks in the running game. Then he'll be a step late and a complete liability in pass pro that almost gets Ben killed on the next play. He's extreme in his play - sometimes great, sometimes not so much.

The one thing that I was impressed by him in the preseason was how well he handled himself at RT. I thought he would have really struggled because he's not the quickest guy off the ball and I would have thought that would mean he would struggle with the fast guys off the edge. But he just looked comfortable out there on the edge.

At the same time, I get rooting for a guy like this. I have a soft spot for the unheralded UDFAs and the overlooked guys.

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 01:43 AM
The one thing that I was impressed by him in the preseason was how well he handled himself at RT. But he just looked comfortable out there on the edge.

At the same time, I get rooting for a guy like this. I have a soft spot for the unheralded UDFAs and the overlooked guys.

me too, I've always had a soft spot for underdogs...

and :Agree, he looked really good at RT.

skyhawk
09-07-2012, 01:57 AM
There's no bandwagon, but I am hoping Carter is the new stud. We really need him to step up. Now!

That said, Rainey looks pretty exciting.

SidSmythe
12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
BUMP!! I say Oveido owes me an apology :p

feltdizz
12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I say Ziggy Hood...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QNiUPrDF5II/TUxyGY6RSdI/AAAAAAAAAGY/ILwKAYLf7cY/s1600/Ziggy+Hood.jpg

Nice........

Snatch98
12-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Nice........

I really don't understand why he isn't.

SidSmythe
12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice........

LOL, lots of ZIGGY HOOD lovers in hiding from this thread. haha

fezziwig
12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
I saw Hood too this last game. It's strange how he seemed to be having good games against bad teams and the star players had bad games against bad teams. Or at least not as noticable as Hood or is it when Hood finally does do something, it's more like, " Hood actually made a tackle or Hood actually looked like a football player that particular moment. "

flippy
12-13-2012, 09:10 AM
LOL, lots of ZIGGY HOOD lovers in hiding from this thread. haha

More surprisingly, no Lewis love. Or Worilds. Or Heyward. And those look to be the 3 guys along with Cortez who are poised to be key cogs in this defense for the future.

I think we all fell in love with Hood's workout hype. And his physical transformation. He may still be a decent player in the long run. He at least seems more dedicated.

papillon
12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Ziggy may still be the best of the bunch, he's been getting better as the year has progressed, still not great, but improving in my mind. I'm not writing him off yet; it took Aaron Smith a few years to become the force he became. I realize Aaron wasn't a first round pick, but if Hood ultimately ends up being a force on the defensive line, I don't care where they drafted him.

Pappy

fezziwig
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I remember people complaining about Troy at the start but I seen something in him that told me he would eventually be good/great and I trusted Cowher when he evaluated talent. I never had that feeling of Hood or Tomlin.

BigRob
12-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I remember people complaining about Troy at the start but I seen something in him that told me he would eventually be good/great and I trusted Cowher when he evaluated talent. I never had that feeling of Hood or Tomlin.

This is Hood's FOURTH! year. Troy became a pro bowler in his second season. Hood ain't getting any better in the role he plays now.

The biggest problem is that he is miscast. He is not a 3-4 end.

He is a 4-3 under tackle. His best role would be on passing downs and letting him shoot the gaps to attack the quarterback.

Notleadpoisoned
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Drew Butler, future pro Bowler and Hall of Famer.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Drew Butler, future pro Bowler and Hall of Famer.

Perhaps Butler could be a future Pro Bowler, but there is not a single punter in the Hall of Fame (not even Ray Guy).