PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis worried about Steelers

SteelCrazy
09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
*MY PITTSBURGH STEELERS HAVE ME WORRIED*
I'm concerned about my Steelers, especially now that it looks like David DeCastro's knee injury is very serious. The Steelers were looking for their first-round draft pick to step up at right guard and be a big part of the offensive line this season. If DeCastro is lost for an extended period it's a major blow for a unit that already was having problems. The Pittsburgh running game really hasn't been a force so far in preseason, but I know the offensive line is a resilient group of guys and I know they'll be able to bounce back. But the big question is how good a job they will be able to do protecting Ben Roethlisberger?

The Steelers have looked good during two-minute drills, but that's not really an indication of how good an offense is. That's a product of Ben knowing his position, and understanding what he needs to do on the fly. A successful two-minute drill really depends on your quarterback, and Ben is one of the best at that.

Meantime, there's some concern about whether this offense can be a really good one. With Mike Wallace finally reporting I expect him to jump right back onto the field as soon as possible, because that's what the Steelers need him to do, but I don't think that's the best scenario.* With a speed guy like that who hasn't had any camp the odds of him pulling a hamstring are really great. There's a difference between running in training and running in game conditions. In game situations, you have to go out there and start and stop, make cuts, and you can't duplicate those on-field demands during training. I'm fearful he's going to come in and be injured early in the season and leave that offense in even more trouble.

http://www.SOTL.com/blogs/read/41457/jerome-bettis-blog-the-bus-is-worried-about-his-steelers

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Bettis' concern about Wallace pulling a hamstring is valid. I hope he was really working out and not just putting out propaganda.

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 08:39 AM
When hasn't our o-line been a problem ? We always had our defense (most of the time) to keep the other teams in check or to be the x factor. The defense is what worries me. Ever since Harrison has been aging, injured we have been less of a force. It's not just the lack of Harrison either. Troy to me is not the same player, neither is Clark and when Aron Smith was injured and not playing and no longer playing that didn't help either. Now we have Foote that I doubt can be as good as Farrior and even with Farrior the last couple of season he was a slow man on the move. Having said all that we were still the top rank defense but stats are not enough. We need the rough house guys like Woodley/Harrison to create the problems for the other team that, allowed our defense to dominate.
The way the NFL has placed a premium on the pass game, protecting the QB's the receivers and what have you a NFL team needs a dynamite offense to outscore the other team to some degree. At the end of the season I still believe you need a defense that can get to the quarterback for only the turnovers to allow your team to get back the ball to put up more points.
I think our offense can get the job done and granted, I would like to see a better o-line, a healthy o-line. The big problem with the o-line will be keeping Ben healthy and if he goes down, might as well kiss the season goodbye.
Lebeau better figure out some more schemes because his defense isn't fooling too many these days.

aggiebones
09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Did he get paid for this interview? If so any of the people on this website could fulfill that position. He said Nothing that was new

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Did he get paid for this interview? If so any of the people on this website could fulfill that position. He said Nothing that was new

none of the people on this website are Jerome Bettis, who is an all-time Steeler great. I for one am always interested in what he has to say about the Steelers.

Dumb point.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm more concerned about our LBs than OL (who ever thought anyone would say that). Sure we have a major weakness in the OL in Foster but we do at LB too in Foote. The concern about the LBs is that the 3-4 only works if Woodley and Harrison excel. I'm not sure Harrison can excel anymore and I always get worried about which Woodley shows up...the one who gets 10 sacks in 6-7 games or the one who gets one or two sacks in 6-7 games.

I think except for RG we generally have a pretty good OL.

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm more concerned about our LBs than OL (who ever thought anyone would say that). Sure we have a major weakness in the OL in Foster but we do at LB too in Foote. The concern about the LBs is that the 3-4 only works if Woodley and Harrison excel. I'm not sure Harrison can excel anymore and I always get worried about which Woodley shows up...the one who gets 10 sacks in 6-7 games or the one who gets one or two sacks in 6-7 games.

I think Woodley does well when Harrison does well but a guy like Harrison makes the whole defense better. As I said before in a Wallace thread. I would like to see Wallace stay with the team and I think if all the report are true he should take the 10 mill the Steelers are offering him, I think it's a good deal for Wallace considering the team he is on, his chance at a Super Bowl and all the positives you can add to that. However, if the Steelers are going to start paying more than that to keep him if Wallace doesn't except the 10 mill contract ( maybe he is willing and maybe it's all about up front money just for the sake of arguement and not trying to redirect this thread ) I, would rather then see those dollars go towards bringing in a stud of linebacker or two. Whether there is such a person in the future or what have you is a different story but my point is this, our defense only dominates when they have studs like Farrior and Harrison. Too many times I've seen Foote be out of position or just get mowed down. I was really hoping that Timmons could have been the middle linebacker because the dude does have the burst to shoot in the backfield or to blow plays up. He must not be able to quarterback the defense.

skyhawk
09-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Like I've been saying since he retired, losing Farrior is the biggest loss this defense has had since Woodson was traded. The middle of the field will be exposed regardless how Woodley, Harrison, et al play. We've had players fill in nicely when players like Steed, Lloyd, Kirkland, Gildon, and Porter left. Not this time folks. Farrior was just that good, and Foote ain't.

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Farrior was the man. I remember when we got him from the Jets and I was one of the first if not the first to claim/avow that Farrior will become a Steeler star. He was a number one draft pick by the Jets that didn't see the value in him or they weren't using him correctly or something. He was a steal that became a Steeler HOFer.

SteelCrazy
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
This isnt an interview. Its a weekly blog by The Bus, an all time Steelers great.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
This isnt an interview. Its a weekly blog by The Bus, an all time Steelers great.

I enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting this blog written by one of my all-time favorite Steelers players. :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Former Steelers RB Jerome Bettis Says He's 'Fearful' Mike Wallace Will Suffer Injury Early This Season

by Neal Coolong on Sep 6, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5334883/20120727_mse_se2_846_extra_large.jpg

Former Steelers RB Jerome Bettis recently joined Spirit of the Players (SOTL), an NFLPA partner company with the a stated goal, "to serve and honor the players, past and present, of the National Football League."

In Bettis's first blog entry, he perhaps dishonored the 2012 Steelers, and questioned the strength of WR Mike Wallace's hamstring.

In the section of his blog labeled "My Pittsburgh Steelers Have Me Worried," Bettis touched on problems he has with the Steelers' running game (based on the preseason) and the general ability of the offense.

The most prominent piece, though, was his thoughts on Wallace's hamstring due to Wallace missing all of training camp and the preseason.

With Mike Wallace finally reporting I expect him to jump right back onto the field as soon as possible, because that's what the Steelers need him to do, but I don't think that's the best scenario. With a speed guy like that who hasn't had any camp the odds of him pulling a hamstring are really great. There's a difference between running in training and running in game conditions. In game situations, you have to go out there and start and stop, make cuts, and you can't duplicate those on-field demands during training. I'm fearful he's going to come in and be injured early in the season and leave that offense in even more trouble.

It's certainly a viable concern, and one we've previously mentioned here. There really isn't much anyone, including Wallace, can do about it now, except stay flexible and try not to overdo it.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/9/6/3298204/steelers-jerome-bettis-comments-mike-wallace-injury-hamstring-offense

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
There's a difference between running in training and running in game conditions. In game situations, you have to go out there and start and stop, make cuts, and you can't duplicate those on-field demands during training.

People say this all the time. Why can't you duplicate this during training? I doubt that Wallace was just practicing running the 40 in a straight line while down in Orlando...he was likely practicing running the entire route tree (starting, stopping, making cuts, the whole deal). Some say, well it's different with pads on...well there is no law saying that Wallace is not allowed to train with pads on. The only thing that you aren't going to duplicate in training is the aspect of being hit, but with the restrictions on contact at practices in today's NFL, I don't think there were too many full contact practices going on in Latrobe either.

lloydroid
09-07-2012, 04:49 PM

Or insightful. Any of us could have written that piece and probably done a better job at it.