PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Name Keenan Lewis a Starter; Cortez Allen Ready as Well

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Steelers Name Lewis a Starter; Allen Ready as Well

By Kyle Curry on September 4, 2012

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has named Keenan Lewis the starting cornerback opposite Ike Taylor. Lewis entered training camp as the starter, but faced stiff competition with second years corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown both eyeing his job. During camp Lewis suffered a shoulder injury, but refusing to let his starting job slip away he played through the injury and never conceeded the starting job to Allen.

Curtis Brown was also hoping to make a move for the starting job, but some inconsistent play during the pre-season landed him in the fourth spot on the depth chart. Cortez Allen, on the other hand, did everything he could to take the starting job, but Lewis played equally as well and held him off. Had Lewis slipped up at all Allen would have had a chance to unseat him, but strong play from both corners kept them in their spots when the final depth chart was released.

Although Allen was unable to win the starting job he will be seeing plenty of playing time as the third cornerback. He also provides the Steelers with one third of their furture cornerback core. Allen, Brown, and Lewis are almost as good as their offensive counterparts, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders. If the Steelers can keep their young groups of wide receivers and corners together into the future they should have plenty of continued success on both sides of the ball for years to come.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_name_lewis_a_starter_allen_ready_as_well/11630443

Oviedo
09-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Best situation talent wise we have had at CB in a very long time. I can't recall the last time we had four players as talented as Taylor, Allen, Brown and Lewis.

fezziwig
09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Lewis or Allen is okay by me. I probably would have placed Allen over Lewis for the reason of, hasnt Lewis caused his share of problems with his temper during the times he has played as a backup ? Anyway, seems like this position on the team is becoming a strength with some quality backups on the rise.

Oviedo
09-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Lewis or Allen is okay by me. I probably would have placed Allen over Lewis for the reason of, hasnt Lewis caused his share of problems with his temper during the times he has played as a backup ? Anyway, seems like this position on the team is becoming a strength with some quality backups on the rise.

Wish we could say the same about the Safety position.

Djfan
09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I hope that this is true. I posted in another thread about my concerns in the back field on D. Something about Lewis makes me hold my breath. I just can't go all in on him.

I really hope he proves me wrong.

JDSteeler
09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Wish we could say the same about the Safety position.

How about Robert Golden?

JD

Shawn
09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Lewis has never gotten love from this community, but the guy can play ball. It just took a bit for the light to come on. What he showed last season was nothing short of very solid.

Shawn
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
How about Robert Golden?

JD

IMO, Golden is going to be a special safety in the NFL. He has that it factor. I would be very curious to see him in a live, regular season game.

fezziwig
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Lewis has never gotten love from this community, but the guy can play ball. It just took a bit for the light to come on. What he showed last season was nothing short of very solid.
What love did we deny him ?

phillyesq
09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Best situation talent wise we have had at CB in a very long time. I can't recall the last time we had four players as talented as Taylor, Allen, Brown and Lewis.

I generally agree, though I'm not as sold on Brown. He has the ability to be a special teams ace, but I haven't seen enough from him in coverage yet.

I think Lewis will be, at the very least, a solid starting corner, and I still think that Allen has the most upside of the group.

D Rock
09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I generally agree, though I'm not as sold on Brown. He has the ability to be a special teams ace, but I haven't seen enough from him in coverage yet.

I think Lewis will be, at the very least, a solid starting corner, and I still think that Allen has the most upside of the group.

Luckily, and hopefully, Brown shouldn't be needed in a big role for a couple more years. That will give him time to develop along the lines of Keenan Lewis and he will be ready when Ike leaves, if not sooner.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I think Cortez Allen has Ike Taylor like upside, while Keenan Lewis is maybe more in the mold of a Chad Scott and Curtis Brown is possibly a Dewayne Washington.

Ghost
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Too early to bust out "Lewis Island"....

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Too early to bust out "Lewis Island"....

It's in Scotland. ;)

http://www.uigtrail.com/files/maps/lewis_island_map340widejpg.jpg

And, in case we want to get even further ahead of ourselves, Allen Island is in Canada and Brown Island is in Virginia. :p

Djfan
09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
It's in Scotland. ;)

http://www.uigtrail.com/files/maps/lewis_island_map340widejpg.jpg

And, in case we want to get even further ahead of ourselves, Allen Island is in Canada and Brown Island is in Virginia. :p

Not working today?

Shawn
09-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Many have not wanted him as starter even after displaying solid play last season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Not working today?

Lunch break!

Shawn
09-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I think Cortez Allen has Ike Taylor like upside, while Keenan Lewis is maybe more in the mold of a Chad Scott and Curtis Brown is possibly a Dewayne Washington.

Yeah, I would disagree with you on that one. While I get the bigger physical DB thing...I believe he will be a better DB than either Scott or Washington.

Slapstick
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I would disagree with you on that one. While I get the bigger physical DB thing...I believe he will be a better DB than either Scott or Washington.

Chad Scott looked like a tremendous CB to me...before he tore his ACL prior to his second year...he was never the same after that...

Shawn
09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Chad Scott looked like a tremendous CB to me...before he tore his ACL prior to his second year...he was never the same after that...

Yeah, I guess I remember Charred Scott...more than any DB who was even remotely serviceable.

Slapstick
09-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I guess I remember Charred Scott...more than any DB who was even remotely serviceable.

The Steelers had some bad luck with 1st round DBs back in the 90s...

Chad Scott with his ACL in 1998 as well as Deon Figures with his odd gunshot wound back in 1995...

NorthCoast
09-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Lewis has had his share of brainfarts but seems a solid player otherwise. I was hoping Lewis could be a Deshea Townsend, but maybe doesn't have the same football smarts. Allen is simply a ballhawk in the mold of a Woodson. The WRs in the game nowadays have blazing speed on top of strength, so even Woodson would be challenged in covering these days.

NJ-STEELER
09-06-2012, 12:48 AM
rather have tez in there starting

lewis strikes me as a bigger slower steeler type corner that will let the receiver catch the ball and concentrate on talking him/keeping it in front of him while allen has the talent to contest the pass

Chadman
09-06-2012, 02:15 AM

Chadman is withholding his love until Lewis' 3rd start. We all know what the 3rd date means..

fezziwig
09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Chadman is withholding his love until Lewis' 3rd start. We all know what the 3rd date means..

yep..i show the love when there is something to love