PDA

View Full Version : Spence

birtikidis
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Just carted spence off the field.... Damn

D Rock
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Lots of discussion in the gameday chat on this. I'm betting on ACL and PCL tears. That looked really bad.

birtikidis
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I didn't actually get to see it and game day chat sucks on my ipad

D Rock
08-30-2012, 09:56 PM
reports are now saying possible broken leg which makes sense based on them putting on an air cast before moving it.

He was in pains...tons of it. And the whole team gathered around. It was ugly.

Djfan
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Don't eat turkey anytime soon.....

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
https://p.twimg.com/A1ltspGCYAAHwgh.jpg

DukieBoy
08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Man, that's tough. Feel real bad for Spence. A tough loss for the Steelers.

What's the injury count for these 4 preseason games. Serious, possibly season-ending injuries to David Johnson, David Decastro, Sean Spence. Who else?
And several less severe but significant injuries, can't begin to name them all.

The costs of preseason seem to outweigh the benefits of preseason, unless its all about the money.

SteelBucks
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
I've been saying it for years, 4 preseason games is to much football. It's sad when teams enter Week 1 of the regular season and their already beaten up.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
So now it looks like our top 3 draft picks will be of little to no help this season.

As for Spence, whose game is predicated on speed, not size, this could be a huge blow to his career track.

Shoe
08-30-2012, 11:49 PM
So now it looks like our top 3 draft picks will be of little to no help this season.

As for Spence, whose game is predicated on speed, not size, this could be a huge blow to his career track.

Yeah, feel really bad for the kid. He only needs to look to his fellow U ulumnus (Willis McGahee) for inspiration on coming back from devastating leg injury though.

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Sean Spence is believed to have torn ACL, LCL, dislocated kneecap

Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2012

https://p.twimg.com/A1ltspGCYAAHwgh.jpg

That ugly knee injury suffered by Steelers rookie linebacker Sean Spence has generated an understandably serious initial diagnosis.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Spence is believed to have a torn ACL, torn LCL, and dislocated kneecap.

Spence, a third-round pick from Miami, undoubtedly is headed to injured reserve. Hopefully, itís an injury from which heíll be able to recover in time for the 2013 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/sean-spence-is-believed-to-have-torn-acl-lcl-dislocated-kneecap/

Chadman
08-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Well, this season just gets better & better... guess this means Brandon Johnson makes the team?

phillyesq
08-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Wow, I feel really bad for Spence. Haven't seen a live action shot, but heard it looked absolutely devestating. I hope that he's able to fully recover and return next year, both for his sake and for the team.

SidSmythe
08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
This messes up MY MADDEN 13 Defense Big Time!!!!
I had big plans for SPENCE this year!!!

aggiebones
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Okay which bones were actually broken? Any other ligament damage or tendon damage or anything else?

SteelBucks
08-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Okay which bones were actually broken? Any other ligament damage or tendon damage or anything else?

I don't think any bones were broken but pretty much every ligament and tendon in his knee was damaged. The young man has a long recovery road ahead. I'm assuming Tomlin will give an update later this week.

flippy
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Wow, I feel really bad for Spence. Haven't seen a live action shot, but heard it looked absolutely devestating. I hope that he's able to fully recover and return next year, both for his sake and for the team.

It made me think of the Jason Kendall incident, but no bone popped out. I'd be surprised if he even plays again. We were all pretty much convinced he tore every ligament, hyper extended it, and broke every bone in his leg. I think it was Ruthless that said he'd have to be PlaticMan to have any shot of surviving this injury. But I'm not even sure I've seen PlasticMan's leg bend and twist like that.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
I went Mister Fantastic, not Plastic Man, but, yeah, that's the idea...

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/08/mr.-fantastic.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gWQaU40PH24/SaW4B-pVOQI/AAAAAAAABcc/w3iA8yrY-0E/s400/Brave+and+bold+plastic+man.jpg

flippy
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I went Mister Fantastic, not Plastic Man, but, yeah, that's the idea...

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/08/mr.-fantastic.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gWQaU40PH24/SaW4B-pVOQI/AAAAAAAABcc/w3iA8yrY-0E/s400/Brave+and+bold+plastic+man.jpg

That's weird that their names rhyme and they have the same power. Wonder if one of them is a rip off of the other? I dont remember my comic book history so well.

NorthCoast
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I've been saying it for years, 4 preseason games is to much football. It's sad when teams enter Week 1 of the regular season and their already beaten up.

I guess I am in the minority and believe that preseason is necessary. There is no other effective way to evaluate young talent to determine if they are NFL capable players. It sucks, but it is part of the process of fielding competitive and professional football teams. Put it this way, if these injuries happened in real games there could be alot of player shuffling to the point it would be chaotic for the first half of the season.

Slapstick
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
When Willis McGahee was referenced, it was the right idea...

McGahee's injury happened 10 years ago in the Fiesta Bowl and it was one of the worst I can remember seeing...it was as bad as Spence's, to my eyes...

If McGahee could come back and have a decent professional career, I would hope that Spence would have a similar chance, especially given the improvements in surgical joint repair techniques over the last 10 years...fingers crossed...

fordfixer
09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-rookie-spence-has-torn-ligaments-in-knee-651358/

Rookie inside linebacker Sean Spence has multiple torn ligaments in his left knee and will miss the remainder of the season, the Steelers announced Friday.

Spence, a third-round draft choice, was placed on the reserve

injured list. He was injured Thursday night near the end of the third quarter of the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

The injury immediately appeared to be significant when the medical staff placed a vacuum cast on his leg to stabilize his knee. Spence was carted from the field, a towel draped over his head, and taken to a local hospital.

Spence was scheduled to be a backup inside linebacker and special-teams contributor this season. Without Spence, and with Stevenson Sylvester recovering from a tear of his medial collateral ligament, the Steelers will begin the season without their top backups at inside linebacker.

Veteran free-agent Brandon Johnson, who played the past four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, will replace Spence

lloydroid
09-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Man, that's tough. Feel real bad for Spence. A tough loss for the Steelers.

What's the injury count for these 4 preseason games. Serious, possibly season-ending injuries to David Johnson, David Decastro, Sean Spence. Who else?
And several less severe but significant injuries, can't begin to name them all.

The costs of preseason seem to outweigh the benefits of preseason, unless its all about the money.

It's always about the $; college teams play zero preseason games - unless you count most of their first week's games, where they play teams that are like warm up game, such as PSU vs. Ohio right now (where PSU is locked in a 0-0 tie to tiny Ohio - not Ohio State.)

DukieBoy
09-01-2012, 01:05 PM
It's always about the $; college teams play zero preseason games - unless you count most of their first week's games, where they play teams that are like warm up game, such as PSU vs. Ohio right now (where PSU is locked in a 0-0 tie to tiny Ohio - not Ohio State.)

Ohio U's 2011 enrollment was 17,302 undergrads. Notre Dame's undergrad enrollment is 8,442. PSU is now up 7 - 3. Like what Bill O'Brien has done managing the aftermath of the tragedy, and the offense design. PSU has one of the largest enrollments in the country.

Slapstick
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Ohio U won...ouch...

DukieBoy
09-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Ohio U won...ouch...

It's gonna be a long road back for PSU. Bill O'Brien seems to be a good man to lead them.

skyhawk
09-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Spence's knee injury makes DeCastro's injury look like a walk in the park.

Oviedo
09-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Spence's knee injury makes DeCastro's injury look like a walk in the park.

To be honest I will be surprised if Spence ever really comes back from this knee injury and achieves the potential we all thought he had. It is a shame it happened to him.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2012, 12:03 PM
To be honest I will be surprised if Spence ever really comes back from this knee injury and achieves the potential we all thought he had. It is a shame it happened to him.

I fear the same ovi. 2014 may be a more realistic goal than 2013. Hope we are wrong as I think this kid was going to be a real weapon in the sub packages.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 12:18 PM
If McGahee could do it ten years ago, Spence can do it now...

Oviedo
09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
If McGahee could do it ten years ago, Spence can do it now...

Prayers to the kid because I would love to see that be the case.

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Too bad for Spence and what an ugly look at the injury. My wife and I had to turn away when they showed the replay..ouch ! I feel bad for him or any player that gets their season or career shut in their face with an injury. I think it was that injury that made me question the condition of the field at Heinz stadium. Seems to me I see a lot of clumps of sod coming up when these players make cuts and what have you. Is it this way with all stadiums, some stadiums or mostly at our Steeer stadium ?

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Too bad for Spence and what an ugly look at the injury. My wife and I had to turn away when they showed the replay..ouch ! I feel bad for him or any player that gets their season or career shut in their face with an injury. I think it was that injury that made me question the condition of the field at Heinz stadium. Seems to me I see a lot of clumps of sod coming up when these players make cuts and what have you. Is it this way with all stadiums, some stadiums or mostly at our Steeer stadium ?

I think the field behaved just like they want it too. IMO they hope the rumors perpetuate and get into the heads of visiting teams.

I don't think the field had any impact on Spence's injury. As a matter of fact if it had given way he may not have been injured. It looks like he planted and his monentum just carried him forward and hyperextended his knee to the extreme.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Ben blamed the DeCastro injury on the artificial turf in Buffalo, and now people are blaming the Spence injury on the grass field in Pittsburgh...I don't think there are any other options out there, folks.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Ben blamed the DeCastro injury on the artificial turf in Buffalo, and now people are blaming the Spence injury on the grass field in Pittsburgh...I don't think there are any other options out there, folks.

Concrete, Stainless Steel, Glass, Plywood to name a few.;) But I agree that of the reasonable alternatives turf and natural grass are about it.

I think it is less about the field than the size and speed of the men. Physics just kinda takes over.

skyhawk
09-04-2012, 06:48 PM

You're right, there's not much out there to do on the field conditions. But I DO think that the CBA has alot to do with the injuries. Less experience with contact during practice then ALL OUT for games. The body's of these players are taking on a ton of abuse. Also, football is a year round sport this year and I think over-training is also a culprit. Lot's of players were injured this preseason and we all know there are a higher volume of injuries than there were 20 years ago. Thoughts?!

aggiebones
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
How much does it really cost to keep a regular grass field nice? Seriously, keep the HS kids out of Heinz if they are ruining it every year. They aren't pros, they shouldn't get to use it. A few games a year (championship games) would be fine. And if Pitt still needs it (can't remember), then they pay for the upkeep of a nice field. Or they can go play at Carnegie Mellon's field if they can't afford it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
They only play the high school championship games at Heinz (unfortunately, there are 4 division championships, and they all take place on the same day, which is why we replace the sod after Thanksgiving every season). I'm sure Pitt has to contribute to the upkeep of the field as well, since they continue to use Heinz too.

Slapstick
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
How much does it really cost to keep a regular grass field nice? Seriously, keep the HS kids out of Heinz if they are ruining it every year. They aren't pros, they shouldn't get to use it. A few games a year (championship games) would be fine. And if Pitt still needs it (can't remember), then they pay for the upkeep of a nice field. Or they can go play at Carnegie Mellon's field if they can't afford it.

That's what happens when you ask the University of Pittsburgh and taxpayers to help pay the costs of a stadium...they tend to want to use it was well...

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
They only play the high school championship games at Heinz (unfortunately, there are 4 division championships, and they all take place on the same day, which is why we replace the sod after Thanksgiving every season). I'm sure Pitt has to contribute to the upkeep of the field as well, since they continue to use Heinz too.

It's really just about trying to grow grass north of Florida in the winter. Nature is nature. It doesn't work. There isn't a grass in the world that grows in snow and in the winter.