PDA

View Full Version : Haley says Wallace can play week 1

lloydroid
08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Gerry Dulac

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley believes WR Mike Wallace could be ready for Week 1 because of the nature of the position he plays. 'You're talking about a guy who's a wide receiver, a pass-catcher,' Haley said. 'It's not a running back or someone who has to be in the action of the game. I think it's feasible he's ready to go when we start this thing up.'

IDK. He may play, but I doubt he will be 100% himself. Will they have the timing down with virtually no practice time? I think we may see some of those plays where Ben simply misses Wallace, like down the stretch last year. Hopefully, he can play his way back into prime level, but I don't think that will happen by week 1. And there is always the worry with hammies when WRs come back after missing camp.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
With the thin mountain air helping, Ben shouldn't underthrow Wallace at Mile High.

flippy
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Wallace has value even if we don't throw him the ball.

And both Wallace and Brown could be dangerous with some quick WR screens.

I suspect Wallace will be a decoy early as long as teams respect him with help over the top. And he'll get a couple screens and quick outs.

lloydroid
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Wallace has value even if we don't throw him the ball.

And both Wallace and Brown could be dangerous with some quick WR screens.

I suspect Wallace will be a decoy early as long as teams respect him with help over the top. And he'll get a couple screens and quick outs.

Knowing Ben, he will still try to air it out a few times to MW, even with virtually no practice time together. He just can't help himself, and it's so crazy, it just might work.

steelblood
08-30-2012, 01:30 PM
He will play. He may not start or play most of the game. But, certainly we will get him on the field for some fly routes.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
With the thin mountain air helping, Ben shouldn't underthrow Wallace at Mile High.

(I was looking for your ;) or :stirpot to wrap up your post, Ruth!)

pittpete
08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Last night i stayed in a Holiday Inn, and I say Wallce has a 50/50 chance of playing in game 1.
I also come from a medical family and say his chances of a pulled hammy are also 50/50
Just saying:rolleyes:

flippy
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Last night i stayed in a Holiday Inn, and I say Wallce has a 50/50 chance of playing in game 1.
I also come from a medical family and say his chances of a pulled hammy are also 50/50

I went to a doctor once. And I've seen both Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express commercials on tv. And I'm not sure I agree with your assessment :)

Shawn
08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
:lol: Nice

Sugar
08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
I would so love it if the Steelers first play from scrimmage was an 80 yard TD to Wallace. Mike wouldn't have to do anything else of substance for 3-4 more games because opponents would be doing everything they could to take the top off.

NorthCoast
08-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I thought it an interesting comment by Wallace when asked if he will be affected by missed practice. Said something to the effect that he had the playbook down and knew all his routes, so he was good to go. even he has to know it takes more than 'knowing the plays' to be able to execute. Otherwise, why practice at all? He hasn't had a single rep with Ben since last season. Of course, if all he is going to do is run fly routes I suppose timing has very little effect on executing.
And I agree, he can be a decoy for half the season.

aggiebones
08-31-2012, 04:12 PM
He'll play, but how valuable will he be. And he's gonna hide near the sidelines all season unless they sign him at which point he'll tear a hammy due to inactivity.

Sugar
08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't see why Mike Wallace can't come in and contribute right away. There might be some timing issues, but he's a WR, not an OL or an RB.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports is reporting that the Steelers and Mike Wallace are negotiating once again.

Wallace reportedly wants 5 years $55 million and the Steelers are reportedly offering 5 years $50 million with 20-25 of that guaranteed.

sounds like a very fair offer by the Steelers...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20011243/la-canfora-a-deal-between-mike-wallace-steelers-becoming-more-unlikely

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Mike Wallace will start for Steelers, Sanders reveals

By Gregg Rosenthal
Published: Sept. 3, 2012

It's no surprise that the Pittsburgh Steelers plan to have Mike Wallace available for the season opener against the Denver Broncos. It's not even a surprise they plan to start him.

The Steelers probably would have just preferred to keep that information private.

Teammate Emmanuel Sanders told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday that Wallace would start against Denver. Wallace did not confirm that during his media session, and we doubt the Steelers will say anything.

Apart from the team's new playbook, Wallace noticed one other big change.

"I haven't been with Ben (Roethlisberger) in a while," Wallace said. "His arm is stronger than when we left last year. He was throwing that thing pretty far."

Wallace said he had a "pretty good grasp" of the new system. He doesn't think he'll be limited in terms of what he can handle mentally. It sounds like he's fine to go physically.

Look for Wallace to play plenty against the Broncos. The Steelers just hope he's more effective against Champ Bailey on Sunday than he was in the wild card round last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000057891/article/mike-wallace-will-start-for-steelers-sanders-reveals

NorthCoast
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
The part of Wallace's game that needs work is breaking away from big, strong DBs that jam him at the LOS. Whether by design or not, Wallace virtually disappeared the last half of the season. In fact, he cracked 100 yds only once in the last eight games.

Contrast that with C. Johnson or L. Fitzergald, both of whom had better games as the season progressed. I really think this will be a watershed year for Wallace. If teams really have figured out how to defend him and his numbers don't improve, I can't see the Steelers paying the mega-money he is looking for. I really hope the Steelers hold fast at $10M/yr. I just don't see his value beyond that number.