PDA

View Full Version : JD is a baller

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Finally saw replay of Bills game. That catch by Dwyer was sick. I am telling you, this guy is going to have a break out season, if he stays healthy. He just has "it" - what it is. He has it. I am liking the thought of Big Ben, JD, Rainey, Brown, Wallace, Miller and, hopefully, Sanders, driving defenses nuts. And, I will still feel this way even if we lose in Denver, week 1.

feltdizz
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
That was a nice catch but I was more impressed by Redman taking on the LB at the GL and driving the pile into the endzone.

I like the talent we have in the backfield.

flippy
08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
JDSteeler is the Nostradamus of the board. He had the foreskin (I mean foresight) to know we'd draft Dwyer and he'd be the 2nd coming. No wonder he's been frothing at the mouth for so long....

flippy
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
JDSteeler is the Nostradamus of the board. He had the foreskin (I mean foresight) to know we'd draft Dwyer and he'd be the 2nd coming. No wonder he's been frothing at the mouth for so long....

Just to clarify, the foreskin was a typo to funny to not just leave there. I just heard a pregnant women saying she just read you're not supposed to circumcise your babies any more. Water cooler talk is crossing over into my posting :)

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 04:25 PM
That was a nice catch but I was more impressed by Redman taking on the LB at the GL and driving the pile into the endzone.

I like the talent we have in the backfield.

I like Redman's guts and tenacity, but can he really last all season taking on LBs? I don't think he can, hence, JD will get his shot at being the bread and butter back. And Mendenhall can just go away and waste some other team's time with his spins and stutter steps.

SidSmythe
08-28-2012, 05:17 PM
I was at the game. Thought it was a Wide Receiver from the other side of the field until I saw the replay

SidSmythe
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I like Redman's guts and tenacity, but can he really last all season taking on LBs? I don't think he can, hence, JD will get his shot at being the bread and butter back. And Mendenhall can just go away and waste some other team's time with his spins and stutter steps.

REDMAN is the man!! He can block and he always moves forward. Not side to side.

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
REDMAN is the man!! He can block and he always moves forward. Not side to side.

Yea, but that style is going to get him dinged up. He is fine for 1 game, or for a handful of carries for several, but I don't see him being a work horse type of back.

SidSmythe
08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Yea, but that style is going to get him dinged up. He is fine for 1 game, or for a handful of carries for several, but I don't see him being a work horse type of back.

This year is the first time i remember him injured.
It's the NFL, it's going to happen....he's built well and I don't see it year after year.
I'm not gonna label him injury prone quite yet

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
This year is the first time i remember him injured.
It's the NFL, it's going to happen....he's built well and I don't see it year after year.
I'm not gonna label him injury prone quite yet

I'm not saying "injury prone" per se, just that with an increased load, his style is likely to get him dinged. He takes on all tacklers and doesn't go down easy, and keeps chugging, but that invites too many hits. When I watch him run, it seems he takes on major hits with almost every carry. That was fine when he only has a few touches a game, but being the starter, etc? I think it's gonna take its toll. Hope not.

aggiebones
08-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Dude, why would you create a second thread about Dwyer. You drooled on him enough in the first thread. Are you his agent?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 06:29 PM
serious mancrush

DukieBoy
08-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Just to clarify, the foreskin was a typo to funny to not just leave there. I just heard a pregnant women saying she just read you're not supposed to circumcise your babies any more. Water cooler talk is crossing over into my posting :)

Obviously, you're not responsible for your own behavior.
:):)

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM

We all know what happened when JD saw Ben eating macaroni salad, and left behind a fork.

Ben's firstborn son is due pretty soon...if Roethlisberger Jr. does get circumcized, the doctors better watch out just in case JD is there to swipe the "scalpel of greatness." :p

flippy
08-28-2012, 07:06 PM
We all know what happened when JD saw Ben eating macaroni salad, and left behind a fork.

Ben's firstborn son is due pretty soon...if Roethlisberger Jr. does get circumcized, the doctors better watch out just in case JD is there to swipe the "scalpel of greatness." :p

And leave the "forkskin of greatness" behind?

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Dude, why would you create a second thread about Dwyer. You drooled on him enough in the first thread. Are you his agent?

That thread was too old and not around. I thought his catch was worthy of a new thread. By the way, who threw that block that up-ended a rusher on the TD pass from Leftwich? That was a hell of a block and without it, no TD would have been thrown.

Shoe
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
I've been harsh on Dwyer, but I have to admit--that he has earned his place on this team this summer. He has earned playing time when the real season starts.

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I've been harsh on Dwyer, but I have to admit--that he has earned his place on this team this summer. He has earned playing time when the real season starts.

Let's not forget, he began his NFL career showing up super fat at the combines. I mean, come on dude, you had millions on the line and you couldn't push away from pizza and Micky Dees for a few months? That shows he has some real maturity/discipline issues to begin with. But he has serious talent. And this year, he came in 20 lbs lighter saying things like "I know it's my responsibility to get in shape, no one else's." And he has continued to seem like a new man, other than taping his helmet to get out of the game, although it's possible that was because he was injured. I've been high on him since they drafted him, and this year he has shown he might have "seen the light." I have said all along that if he puts in the effort he will prove a BETTER back than Mendenhall, who has been disappointing more than not - always is one broken tackle away from a big play, but he never breaks that last tackle and he obvious F--ks around too much in the backfield after he gets the hand off.

Slapstick
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying "injury prone" per se, just that with an increased load, his style is likely to get him dinged. He takes on all tacklers and doesn't go down easy, and keeps chugging, but that invites too many hits. When I watch him run, it seems he takes on major hits with almost every carry. That was fine when he only has a few touches a game, but being the starter, etc? I think it's gonna take its toll. Hope not.

Redman takes major hits in short yardage situations...but, what RB doesn't? That's what happens in short yardage...defenses stack the line...

If you take an objective look at his carries that were not in short yardage, specifically last year in the Browns and Broncos games, he only took a big shot when he was fighting for extra yards...again, a situation when any RB would invite a big hit...

Slapstick
08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
That was a sweet catch by Dwyer, though...it was a great catch at the time when it was needed most...

skyhawk
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
That was a sweet catch by Dwyer, though...it was a great catch at the time when it was needed most...

Great catch. But it was just Ben being Ben. That's a difficult throw across the field to the receivers back shoulder. I give credit to Dwyer having the savvy to make that catch when he's a RB and doesn't likely practice that one too much. So. A better throw IMO.

feltdizz
08-29-2012, 08:44 AM

yes it was... I had to do a double take when I saw it was Dwyer, I thought it was a WR at first.

lloydroid
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM
And I tell you what: Things were looking very, very bad for Pgh before they made that play. That conversion was critical to Pgh holding onto the fort and not getting blown out. Yea, preseason, I know. But still. It shows you between Ben and JD, they come up big when it matters, and that is crucial.

Slapstick
08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
And I tell you what: Things were looking very, very bad for Pgh before they made that play. That conversion was critical to Pgh holding onto the fort and not getting blown out.

Really?

Buffalo scored early but didn't score anything afterward...

lloydroid
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Really?

Buffalo scored early but didn't score anything afterward...

Yea, really. Pgh was struggling to even get off their own goal line for how many plays? The Bills were moving the ball but not putting points on the board. Had Pgh not made that first down, they likely wouldn't have scored until the scrubs were in the game. Buffalo had Pgh pinned back until they hit that pass to JD.

Steelerphile
08-29-2012, 06:47 PM
If JD had a work ethic he might have gotten drafted a lot higher. He has improved his conditioning but he is still a little soft around the middle. The NFL requires a maximum commitment to attain excellence, and although Dwyer has talent enough to stick in the league and make some good plays, he still will have to crank up the intensity of his workouts to be a major factor in the offense.

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Jonathan Dwyer: Steel City Survivor

Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 2, 2012

http://img0.yardbarker.com/media/9/a/9a704459007c2f0205a4fb758c85aa60a3efafcd/related/pittsburgh-steelers-denver.jpg?stamp=1346607908

Going into the 2010 NFL Draft, Jonathan Dwyer was one of the hottest names floating around in dynasty circles. After all, he had just finished a fantastic career at Georgia Tech that saw him run for 1,395 yards in each of his last two seasons, on a healthy average of over 6.4 yards per carry. Tack on his 26 touchdowns in those two seasons and he looked like a future first round rookie pick in dynasty drafts.

All was not to be wine and roses, though.

Prior to the combine, Dwyer revealed he had been playing at around 240 pounds his entire Junior season (his last in college) and his coaches verified his weight was a constant challenge for him to maintain. He was able to get down to 229 for the NFL combine and ran a 4.59 40 at there, though some had him clocked in the 4.6 or 4.7 range, which is pretty sluggish for a tailback.

When you combined his disappointing combine numbers (somewhat verified at his pro day) with concerns about his ability coming from an unconventional triple option attack, the stock of Dwyer seemed to be slipping out of the first round and possibly as late as the third.

Things got worse from there.

Dwyer tested positive for a banned substance at the combine, but it was later deemed as acceptable due to a medical condition. That condition was never verified, but Dwyer himself stated it was for treatment of an attention deficit disorder. Ironically, the positive drug test didn’t hurt his draft stock, but the condition itself likely did as Dwyer fell all the way to the sixth round of the draft, being selected at #188 overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. At that point, players aren’t even guaranteed a roster spot.

His first training camp was nearly a total disaster as he showed up overweight and hurt his hamstring on the first day. It didn’t get any better as he hurt his shoulder later in camp and looked to be clearly on the roster bubble. Dwyer salvaged a roster spot by playing well in the preseason’s last two games, rushing for 175 yards and a touchdown on 33 carries, good for an average of 5.3 yards per carry.

The Steelers knew he wouldn’t make it on to the practice squad, so they kept him on the active roster. He finished the season by appearing in one game, carrying the ball nine times for 28 yards – hardly what dynasty owners could have hoped for.

Going into 2011, hopes were again rekindled as Dwyer made the Steelers as the fourth running back. He finally broke out in week six with 107 yards on 11 carries against Tennessee, showing everyone he still did, indeed, have some talent. Unfortunately, he broke his foot shortly after that game and went on injured reserve, prompting many dynasty owners to finally cut bait.

This year again brought some new hope with Rashard Mendenhall hurt and Isaac Redman being the lead back to start camp. Dwyer reportedly showed up to camp in the best shape of his life and it’s finally translated to the field. With Redman being very average in the preseason, Dwyer took the most of his opportunity and ran for 147 yards on 28 carries, good for an average of nearly 5.3 yards per carry. He’s also caught three passes for 48 yards, which has never been his strong suit.

Going into the season, Dwyer finally has some momentum. He’s passed the eye test thus far during the preseason as Redman has struggled, gaining just 38 yards on 17 carries. The coaching staff isn’t revealing who will start for Pittsburgh (and they play in the late game on Sunday, which makes it tough), but there’s little doubt that Dwyer is going to begin the season with meaningful touches for the first time in his career, whether he’s the starter or not. The best bet at the moment is Dwyer and Redman split carries with Chris Rainey sprinkled in on occasion.

Dwyer has been a total disappointment in dynasty leagues – it’s just a fact. However, he’s finally going to get a chance to showcase his ability and possibly carve out a meaningful role in the offense. He’s a great player to have stashed on your bench right now because the Steelers running game is a huge question mark. If his preseason play can translate to the field in the regular season, it’s going to be tough to keep him on the bench, even when Mendenhall comes back.

Personally, I’ve never been a believer in Dwyer. His weight issues and lack of passion have always bothered me. It looks like those could be in the past, but I find myself skeptical. If he puts together some solid games early, he may be a great dynasty “sell” candidate to a contender as I still find it hard to believe he’s the long term answer at tailback for the Steelers. The only problem is going to be deciding what to do if those games he puts up are “great,” and not “solid.”

We’ll soon find out.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/jonathan_dwyer_steel_city_survivor/11610265

lloydroid
09-02-2012, 03:43 PM
If JD had a work ethic he might have gotten drafted a lot higher. He has improved his conditioning but he is still a little soft around the middle. The NFL requires a maximum commitment to attain excellence, and although Dwyer has talent enough to stick in the league and make some good plays, he still will have to crank up the intensity of his workouts to be a major factor in the offense.

I don't know, you remember a guy named Bettis? He was more than a "little soft" around the middle and he was a tremendous back, a Hall of Famer, in my opinion.

Slapstick
09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't know, you remember a guy named Bettis? He was more than a "little soft" around the middle and he was a tremendous back, a Hall of Famer, in my opinion.

Bettis showed his ability from day one, when he was rookie of the year...

Steelerphile
09-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Bettis and Dwyer in the same sentence? I think you are going overboard. Noone questioned Bettis' passion or work ethic . Bettis is a rare breed. Most people felt Dwyer needed to lose some pounds. Maybe he can play well in his current condition. We'll find out this season.

feltdizz
09-02-2012, 10:16 PM

Dude... no one is going to take you seriously if you keep this up. Hell, I don't take you seriously already. Bertie soft in the middle? What's next, Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers comparisons?

Its obvious you are related to Dwyer or the Dutch kid who loved Ben.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Dude... no one is going to take you seriously if you keep this up. Hell, I don't take you seriously already. Bertie soft in the middle? What's next, Barry Sanders and Gayle Sayers comparisons?

Its obvious you are related to Dwyer or the Dutch kid who loved Ben.

No one is going to "take me seriously" on an Internet message board? I think I am going to go kill myself. My entire life goals have to do with "being taken seriously" on Internet message boards. I have no self worth if I am not "taken seriously" on Internet message boards. After all, if I am "taken seriously" on an Internet message board, I will get into Harvard and eventually become president of the United States. If not, none of that is going to happen.

Look, let's try to keep it real. Dude said that JD might not be any good because he "still looked soft in the middle." I merely pointed out that a guy named Bettis was way more soft in the middle and he did OK, it seems. NO WHERE did I claim JD was as good as Bettis, I merely POINTED OUT A FACT that Bettis was a lot more fat than this kid. DO NOT DEAL IN STRAW MAN ARGUMENTS, as they are the tool of the weak minded.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2012, 02:30 PM
lloydroid is making it very hard for me to cheer for dwyer.

if this guy ever does anything in a real game, this place will be unbearable.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-dwyer-makes-push-for-starting-spot-651454/?p=0

Whoop, there it is. I was ridiculed for thinking JD had the goods, but I am looking more and more the prognosticator every day. WHOOP, there it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
lloydroid is making it very hard for me to cheer for dwyer.

if this guy ever does anything in a real game, this place will be unbearable.

We have a name for people like you: HATER.

You are just jealous of vision. Don't hate. So you didn't see his talent and I did; get over it.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Bettis showed his ability from day one, when he was rookie of the year...

Yes, he did. And? So what if JD was more immature and took longer to put the work in. We all come from different life circumstances. Who are we to judge why JD took some time to mature? Right now, he is doing a lot more than just jumping around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
yep, nobody here worried about being taken seriously on an internet message board.

lol.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Yes, he did. And? So what if JD was more immature and took longer to put the work in. We all come from different life circumstances. Who are we to judge why JD took some time to mature? Right now, he is doing a lot more than just jumping around.

What are you talking about?

I'm not judging Jonathan Dwyer as a person...I'm judging him as a football player...

I can only go by the evidence I've seen and what he's put on tape during regular season and preseason games...so far, that hasn't been a great deal...

And don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back...I posted last week that Dale Lolley put the same thing on his online blog several days ago...

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 06:27 PM
What are you talking about?

I'm not judging Jonathan Dwyer as a person...I'm judging him as a football player...

I can only go by the evidence I've seen and what he's put on tape during regular season and preseason games...so far, that hasn't been a great deal...

And don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back...I posted last week that Dale Lolley put the same thing on his online blog several days ago...

Several days ago? Son, I've been touting JD's skills for years, not days. (On other message boards and to every Steeler fan friend I talk to.) As soon as they drafted him I soaked in his highlights in college and was impressed and knew he could be more productive than Menden-SPIN. Now the day has finally arrived. This is one of those few, rare late draft picks that Pgh hit on.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
By the way, JD carried the rock 13 times for 63 yards posting a 4.8 ypc. That is nothing to sneeze at. I think he has arrived and he will be our bread and butter back this season. We finally have a legit HB who will scare defenses. This is going to be something special.

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
This is one of those few, rare late draft picks that Pgh hit on.

if you were talking about Antonio Brown I would be inclined to agree with you.

however, the jury is definitely still out on Dwyer.

aggiebones
09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
There are about 4-5 undrafted players with more value. Maybe 10-15 if you just take players drafted 5th round or later + undrafted.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Several days ago? Son, I've been touting JD's skills for years, not days. (On other message boards and to every Steeler fan friend I talk to.) As soon as they drafted him I soaked in his highlights in college and was impressed and knew he could be more productive than Menden-SPIN. Now the day has finally arrived. This is one of those few, rare late draft picks that Pgh hit on.

Did you seriously just refer to me as "son"?

Sigh...

aggiebones
09-03-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by lloydroid http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=521537#post521537)
Several days ago? Son, I've been touting JD's skills for years, not days. (On other message boards ....

Can you go back there?

fordfixer
09-04-2012, 12:59 AM

So instead of going back there you come here to say "I told you so"???Lucky us:roll:

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
No one is going to "take me seriously" on an Internet message board? I think I am going to go kill myself. My entire life goals have to do with "being taken seriously" on Internet message boards. I have no self worth if I am not "taken seriously" on Internet message boards. After all, if I am "taken seriously" on an Internet message board, I will get into Harvard and eventually become president of the United States. If not, none of that is going to happen.

Look, let's try to keep it real. Dude said that JD might not be any good because he "still looked soft in the middle." I merely pointed out that a guy named Bettis was way more soft in the middle and he did OK, it seems. NO WHERE did I claim JD was as good as Bettis, I merely POINTED OUT A FACT that Bettis was a lot more fat than this kid. DO NOT DEAL IN STRAW MAN ARGUMENTS, as they are the tool of the weak minded.

I don't think "soft in the middle" has anything to do with weight.... I read it as a knock on Dwyer in between the tackles.

Captain Crunch
09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
if you were talking about Antonio Brown I would be inclined to agree with you.

however, the jury is definitely still out on Dwyer.

You are absolutely correct... But if any of the Dwyer bashers are as gifted in prognostication as they seem to think so... Than please help me make my lottery picks this week! I need your help! Seriously though... On the flip side, I have a feeling JD is going to turn out just fine if he stays healthy and motivated. Lets all just give him his chance... Because every time he rips a nice run we'll all be cheering... Now if you are rooting against him for some personal satisfaction or vendetta... that is another story...

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Most people are taking a wait and see approach with Dwyer.

I don't think anyone. wants to see Dwyer fail... and a lot of the bashing is directed at Dwyer's dad.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
You are absolutely correct... But if any of the Dwyer bashers are as gifted in prognostication as they seem to think so... Than please help me make my lottery picks this week! I need your help! Seriously though... On the flip side, I have a feeling JD is going to turn out just fine if he stays healthy and motivated. Lets all just give him his chance... Because every time he rips a nice run we'll all be cheering... Now if you are rooting against him for some personal satisfaction or vendetta... that is another story...

Your "lucky 7" post is a very good one. Time will tell what Dwyer can do or can't do. If the preseason is an indicator there is cause to be positive because he can be a difference maker at RB.

However, don't doubt there are some who don't want him to be successful because they just want to say they are right or they have invested their opinions and prognostications excessively in another player.

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 10:50 AM
However, don't doubt there are some who don't want him to be successful because they just want to say they are right or they have invested their opinions and prognostications excessively in another player.

Don't be so hard on yourself.... lol

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I would rather have Dwyer as the starter than Redman. Redman is good, powerful and all that but I like the vision and quickness of Dywer.

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I would rather have Dwyer as the starter than Redman. Redman is good, powerful and all that but I like the vision and quickness of Dywer.

Honestly, I don't think it matters who starts...

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 01:10 PM
If we are going to be using a lot of 11 personnel (3 WR sets) like we should, then I prefer someone in the backfield who will be able to protect Ben by blocking any free blitzers. I'm not convinced that Jon Dwyer is that guy.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Honestly, I don't think it matters who starts...

I agree. It depends who is having success and you keep giving THAT GUY the ball!

aggiebones
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM

Wait, wasn't that you regarding Redman last year? lol

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Wait, wasn't that you regarding Redman last year? lol

I acknowledged last year that Redman was better than I thought he would be and is serviceable back up RB. What I continue to reject to this day is the notion that he is a #1 RB. Let's not forget that IF he gets the start on Sunday it is only because Mendenhall is hurt.

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I think Redman is capable of being a starter in this league and for our team. I think he has a better shot at it than Dwyer at this point but, I just like the idea that Dwyer reminds me of having the kind of tools that can get us some big yardage runs. Having said all that I have this question. Is it better to have a battering ram type with Redman that is probably going to move the defense back more often than Dwyer or is it better to have Dwyer that can get the defense wiff every so often ?
feltdizz probably is most correct with it doesn't matter at this point. And I'm guessing he means they both bring something to the table.

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I think Redman is capable of being a starter in this league and for our team. I think he has a better shot at it than Dwyer at this point but, I just like the idea that Dwyer reminds me of having the kind of tools that can get us some big yardage runs. Having said all that I have this question. Is it better to have a battering ram type with Redman that is probably going to move the defense back more often than Dwyer or is it better to have Dwyer that can get the defense wiff every so often ?
feltdizz probably is most correct with it doesn't matter at this point. And I'm guessing he means they both bring something to the table.

yep... this isn't high school in the 80's where the started played all game, every game...

it's not like Redman starting means Dwyer won't see the field or vice versa.

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I acknowledged last year that Redman was better than I thought he would be and is serviceable back up RB. What I continue to reject to this day is the notion that he is a #1 RB. Let's not forget that IF he gets the start on Sunday it is only because Mendenhall is hurt.

SMH... you just did it again!

Mendenhall's injured? We had no idea... Ovie, it's obvious you don't want Redman to be successful because you just want to say you are right and you have invested your opinions and prognostications excessively in another player. :grin:

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 02:25 PM
SMH... you just did it again!

Mendenhall's injured? We had no idea... Ovie, it's obvious you don't want Redman to be successful because you just want to say you are right and you have invested your opinions and prognostications excessively in another player. :grin:

Actually I would be elated if he ran for 2000 yards and scored 25 TDs because it would mean we were winning a lot of games. I could really care less about being right if we win. I just think that at best Redman gets 800-900 yards and about 6 or 7 TDs.

Slapstick
09-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I just think that at best Redman gets 800-900 yards and about 6 or 7 TDs.

I would be ecstatic with that kind of production from a UDFA...that would mean that he carried the ball about 175-180 times, which is a decent workload for a RB by committee...

Since 2008, in the offenses that Todd Haley has been involved with, they tend to go RB by committee, with sometimes two or three players with more than 100 carries and roughly equally spread around...

What the Steelers will need is another back, be it Jon Dwyer, Rashard Mendenhall, or someone else to step up and produce equally well with roughly the same number of carries...

lloydroid
09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Ed Bouchette

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer is making a push for the team's starting running back job after a strong preseason showing. Dwyer and RB Isaac Redman (hip, ankle) are both expected to see plenty of reps in the absence of RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Dwyer has a good skill set to be an effective runner for the Steelers. He's big, powerful, and has a determined between the tackles running style. Consistency and effort have been question marks for him in the past. Both Dwyer and Redman should get carries against a weak Broncos run D on Sunday night.

I agree it doesn't necessarily mean anything re who starts. But that being said, Pgh's typical format was the starter gets 3 to 1 the carries of the back up. But they may change that if they think the two backs we have a fairly even. If JD gets his touches, he will edge out IR for carries. He just brings bigger plays to the table - AND more big plays than Spin-denhall brings as well.

feltdizz
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree it doesn't necessarily mean anything re who starts. But that being said, Pgh's typical format was the starter gets 3 to 1 the carries of the back up. But they may change that if they think the two backs we have a fairly even. If JD gets his touches, he will edge out IR for carries. He just brings bigger plays to the table - AND more big plays than Spin-denhall brings as well.

I think the 3 to 1 will change with Haley... and I think Rainey will be in the mix as well.

Slapstick
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Read the above post...

While that may be typical in Pgh's past, it is not typical for Todd Haley offenses...

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah...Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles had pretty close to an even split in K.C., if I recall correctly.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Read the above post...

While that may be typical in Pgh's past, it is not typical for Todd Haley offenses...

Agree. I think it will be more typical to rotate series or even quarters under Haley. If I recall the few KC games I saw he actually goes with the hot hand and keeps feeding that guy until the defense adjusts and then he throws in a change.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
You might add Rashard Mendenhall in the mix, too. Tomlin hasn't ruled out starting him Sunday.

www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener)

ikestops85
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
There is no way that Mendenhall starts on Sunday. He might play, which I doubt, but he is not the starter. Either Redman or Dwyer will be the starter and I'm happy with either one of them. Dwyer has shown a lot of improvement in this pre-season. Enough that I think he'll show the necessary effort. Redman has already proven to me that he can be successful in our backfield with a makeshift line.

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
no matter who runs the ball i'll be happy if it makes progress for the team. too many people jumped the gun when art II said, " we need to run the ball." i really believe he meant, we need the run the ball affectively and if needed as an edge. arians in my opinion gave no respect on what running the ball to a team could mean. it's a passing league and everyone knows it but, running the ball for ball control, clock control, punching it in on short yardage or giving your own defense a rest is all about offensive weaponry.
redmen, dwyer or a healthy mendenhall can do a lot for our team. this coud be a great offense if lead correctly. if we do go to the super bowl i say it will be the offense that paves the way.

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
BTW, I never knew what anyone ever season in Dixon. I hope some of you pick your doctors better than your players.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
no matter who runs the ball i'll be happy if it makes progress for the team. too many people jumped the gun when art II said, " we need to run the ball." i really believe he meant, we need the run the ball affectively and if needed as an edge. arians in my opinion gave no respect on what running the ball to a team could mean. it's a passing league and everyone knows it but, running the ball for ball control, clock control, punching it in on short yardage or giving your own defense a rest is all about offensive weaponry.
redmen, dwyer or a healthy mendenhall can do a lot for our team. this coud be a great offense if lead correctly. if we do go to the super bowl i say it will be the offense that paves the way.

This is what Rooney actually said 2 years ago:

"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday. "So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football." "We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season," he said.

He said MORE CONSISTENTLY and GET BETTER RUNNING THE FOOTBALL and RUN WHEN WE NEED TO RUN, but the headline for this article in the Post-Gazette simply says, "Rooney wants Steelers to run the ball more" so those 8 words are all that the masses came away with (without reading his actual words).

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-wants-steelers-to-run-the-ball-more-228812/

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2012, 12:04 AM
"Rooney wants Steelers to run the ball more"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-wants-steelers-to-run-the-ball-more-228812/

Mmm-Hah, Run the Ball Yoi! ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Cope_Towel_wave.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
There is no way that Mendenhall starts on Sunday. He might play, which I doubt, but he is not the starter.

I'm not so sure about that.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1218050.html

Might have to change the title of this thread to "Mendy is a baller." 8 months after an ACL? Are you kidding me? This is a fantastic recovery.

Oviedo
09-05-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm not so sure about that.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1218050.html

Might have to change the title of this thread to "Mendy is a baller." 8 months after an ACL? Are you kidding me? This is a fantastic recovery.

For all the grief Mendy gets he has always had the reputation of being a fantastic physical speciman and a very hard worker, but this just seems to me to be really rushing (no pun intended) things after just 8 months. Not sure it is wise. I would definitely wait until at least after the bye week.

feltdizz
09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
For all the grief Mendy gets he has always had the reputation of being a fantastic physical speciman and a very hard worker, but this just seems to me to be really rushing (no pun intended) things after just 8 months. Not sure it is wise. I would definitely wait until at least after the bye week.

I don't think it's wise but Mendy is trying to get paid.

fezziwig
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I think our current cast of backs can handle the job and the coach should allow Mendy to heal up as far into the season as possible. Mendy might heal up and all that but according to other backs that had his type of injury, it takes the following season to get back to their 100% playing condition.