PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace has arrived

toddjammin
08-28-2012, 11:50 AM
To Steelers headquarters per PFT

kindlecatsb'ng
08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Guess now we are allowed to talk about MW :D!

Loved Tomlin's interview on this topic.

Kindle

toddjammin
08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Tomlin was classic on that interview yesterday. Loved it

phillyesq
08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Has he called Haley yet?

Shawn
08-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Very Nice...this is great news!

flippy
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I heard they both sat across the lunch table from one another, but neither has picked up the phone to call one another.

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
We knew this was going to happen all along. Now lets see if he can avoid injury. A dinged hammie is likely.

flippy
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
We knew this was going to happen all along. Now lets see if he can avoid injury. A dinged hammie is likely.

Mike can probably run by most guys going 80-90%. His hammys should be fine.

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Mike can probably run by most guys going 80-90%. His hammys should be fine.

Hope so, but it is very common for guys who come in late to get a hammie dinged - especially fast, WR types.

phillyesq
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM

Yeah, for the sake of the team, I really hope that he has been conditioning himself and that he doesn't end up with some sort of pull. As you point out, that type of injury is rather common for guys comming in late.

Sugar
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Hope so, but it is very common for guys who come in late to get a hammie dinged - especially fast, WR types.

I've heard that as well. However, I wonder if his conditioning might mitigate that issue.

fordfixer
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Can he play guard? :-)

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Wallace has been working out with Tom Shaw in Orlando, he'll be fine and in great shape.

D Rock
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
The regular season can't get here soon enough.

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Wallace has been working out with Tom Shaw in Orlando, he'll be fine and in great shape.

Hope so, but they say there is "in shape" and then there is "football shape." Running sprints just isn't the same thing as playing actual football.

SteelBucks
08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
To Steelers headquarters per PFT

Should have arrived a month ago. (sorry but I'm still bitter about this whole situation.)

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace arrives at Steelers camp after holdout

August 28, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/240/809/wallace-arrives_420.jpg

Wide receiver Mike Wallace enters the Steelers' South Side facility on Tuesday.

Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace arrived this morning at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and was warmly greeted by his teammates who say they had no problem with his long holdout.

Wallace reported shortly before 11:30 a.m. and signed the one-year, $2.7 million tender he was offered in March. The Steelers never lowered or rescinded the tender, something they could have done since June under the league's labor agreement

Wallace's arrival means Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew is the only NFL player to remain a holdout.

"He's a part of this team, he's one of our brothers and we're going to embrace him," said Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison. "What he does as far as the business is business, and he has to do what's best for him."

"It's part of the business," said safety Ryan Clark, the team's player representative. "Someone like me, who sees the uglier side of the business, you understand when it's your opportunity, when it's your time to get a contract for the long-term, you have to seize it and jump on it. That's what Mike did."

Wallace has to go through a three-day acclimation period before he is allowed to practice or play -- meaning he won't be in uniform Thursday night for the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

It also means he won't be able to practice with the team until Monday when they start preparing for the Sept. 9 season opener in Denver. Right now, the Steelers are not scheduled to practice Friday, Saturday or Sunday after the Carolina game.

Harrison, who posted a locker-room interview with Wallace on his Twitter account, said he doesn't think it will take long for Wallace to get back in the flow of the offense under new coordinator Todd Haley.

"All he got to do is put a top on," Harrison said.

The Steelers have said they would not continue negotiations on a long-term contract until Wallace reported to the team. Now that he has, there is no guarantee that will happen.

For starters, the Steelers are not overly confident they can come to some long-term agreement because they believe Wallace wants to seek bigger money on the free-agent market.

Also, the window for signing Wallace to a new contract has diminished greatly -- if the Steelers hold to their long-standing rule not to negotiate contracts once the regular season has started.

But it appears that rule could be stretched, if the Steelers feel they are making some kind of progress with Wallace.

"We all have egos," Clark said. "It's the reason we play this game and the reason we want to do well. We don't want to be embarrassed. We don't want to go out there and not play well. As a receiver, you don't want to drop balls, you don't want to run wrong routes. Mike is going to come here with that frame of mind. If he wants to get the type of contract he's searching for, he has to play well. He knows that."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/pro-bowl-receiver-wallace-arrives-at-steelers-camp-650844/#ixzz24rO7YlPE

papillon
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Can he play guard? :-)

or center? :p

Pappy

Snatch98
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

He's been busting his ass the entire time with Shaw in Florida. I sincerely doubt the guy shows up out of shape, especially when he wants a new contract. His hamstring is going to be fine.

Shoe
08-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I hope I misheard it, but they just did an update on NFLN, and I thought they said he is not expected to practice until next week?

lloydroid
08-28-2012, 03:06 PM
He's been busting his ass the entire time with Shaw in Florida. I sincerely doubt the guy shows up out of shape, especially when he wants a new contract. His hamstring is going to be fine.

Just going on past events; it would not be surprising if he ends up dinged. Those fast guys are really tight and hammies go when football starts if they haven't been playing football. Hope not. Just saying.

squidkid
08-28-2012, 03:11 PM
should have reduced his tender when they had the chance

pittpete
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
He is not allowed to have a full practice according to the new CBA rules till next week, but he can attend meetings,walkthroughs, etc.....

flippy
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Just going on past events; it would not be surprising if he ends up dinged. Those fast guys are really tight and hammies go when football starts if they haven't been playing football. Hope not. Just saying.

Anyone else remember have some "Moons over My Hammy" after a night at the bar. I bet Denny's is one of those places that tastes like crap after you get out of college and don't eat there at 3 am. Kinda like Primanti's.

JDSteeler
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Wally probably won't pull a hammy or anything, cuz he's mostly not gonna "Ball-out"!!Why bother going 100%, when ur playing for only 2.7M???He's still a little b!tch!I hope Rainey smokes him in the race...JD

SteelBucks
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I hope I misheard it, but they just did an update on NFLN, and I thought they said he is not expected to practice until next week?

Sounds about right. Under the new rules, he can't practice or play for three days. Doesn't mean he can't have his nose in the playbook during that time.

Oviedo
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Should have arrived a month ago. (sorry but I'm still bitter about this whole situation.)

I agree. He accomplished nothiung except fall behind learning the new offense

flippy
08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Mike Wallace ‏@Wallace17_daKid (https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid) Sorry for the wait!! #Steelernation (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23Steelernation&src=hash)

Mike seems to care about the fans. So we should return the love. To heck with the business. He is just a kid afterall and probably has no idea how to negotiate a multimillion dollar contract. F the biz side of football. All it does is mess with us fan's heads.

DukieBoy
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
He might get hurt? Maybe he shouldn't have reported.

:(:)

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Wallace says he's "ready to play ball"

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/3c/63c5d290-f57f-56b3-8a6c-071b3dadbbf2/4ef652707bc2c.preview-300.jpg

The Steelers' Mike Wallace hangs on to the ball for a 46-yard catch to the one yard line during the Steelers 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams at Heinz Field on Saturday, December 24, 2011. The play set up a touchdown run by Rashard Mendenhall.

PITTSBURGH -- At long last, the Mike Wallace holdout is over.

The Steelers wide receiver showed up at team headquarters shortly after 11:30 this morning. And he pronounced himself "ready to play ball."

After signing his one-year tender worth $2.7 million, Wallace won't be able to practice with the team for three days according to league rules. He can, however, take part in conditioning drills on his own.

Wallace, who led the Steelers in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches last year, can practice with the team starting Monday.

"Iím not worried about it at all because I have good teammates and theyíll get me ready," Wallace said when asked if he's in shape. "As far as conditioning-wise, we have two weeks until the game. Iíve been working out, and Iíve been doing really good conditioning so thatís not going to be a problem.

"Nothing is like getting in football shape because that is a little different. So the first couple days, I might be a little more tired than some of the guys, but not because I'm not in shape. It's because it's different with pads on. I'll be ready when it's time to go Sunday night (Sept. 9) against Denver. I'm ready to play ball."

Wallace had been holding out because he and the Steelers weren't able to come to terms on a long-term contract prior to the start of training camp.

"I wanted to get something done," Wallace said of his holdout. "My whole time, I never wanted to be away from my teammates. I love my teammates and I love this organization. I never once wanted to be away. But that's the business side of it. We handled it the way we had to."

Apparently, none of the Steelers are disappointed that Wallace has missed virtually all of the preseason. They understand the business part of football.

"It's part of the business," said free safety Ryan Clark. "You understand when it's your opportunity, when it's your time to get a contract for the long-term, you have to seize it and jump on it. That's what Mike did."

Actually, that's what Wallace tried to do. He has yet to receive a long-term contract. And he has until Sept. 9 to do so. The Steelers don't negotiate player contracts once the regular season begins.

http://burgh.us/ftk

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 06:51 PM
wallace is only trying to protect himself and his family. He has done nothing wrong. All the hysterics about learning the playbook and cutting his tender is hilarious.

you only need look at what happened to decastro to see what he was thinking.

hope they can get a deal done.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah, for the sake of the team, I really hope that he has been conditioning himself and that he doesn't end up with some sort of pull. As you point out, that type of injury is rather common for guys comming in late.

He has been working out with Tom Shaw. The same guy who Ike Taylor and many others work out with in the off-season.

flippy
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
welcome back wally. hope to see you put up your 2,000 yards.

flippy
08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Emmanuel Sanders ‏@E_Sanders88 (https://twitter.com/E_Sanders88) Good to see the big bro @Wallace17_daKid (https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid) back!! We bout to get it poppin like orville redenbacher now!

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Wally probably won't pull a hammy or anything, cuz he's mostly not gonna "Ball-out"!!Why bother going 100%, when ur playing for only 2.7M???He's still a little b!tch!I hope Rainey smokes him in the race...JD

It's not as if he didn't earn a raise. He gave us 3206 yards and 24 touchdowns in 3 seasons, all while making $580,000 per season. Was he not balling out for those three seasons while making less than a quarter of what he will make under the RFA tender amount this season?

You do realize that is the second best three-season stretch by any receiver in Steeler history, right? (behind only Ward's 3495 yards and 26 TD's in 01-03). The first three seasons of Wallace's career (and he wasn't even a starter that first year) was better than any 3 years of any other Steeler wideout in his prime...better than Stallworth's 2765 yards and 24 TD's in 77-79, better than Swann's 2477 yards and 23 TD's in 77-79, better than Lipps' 2584 yards and 24 TD's in 84-86, better than Thigpen's 2949 yards and 14 TD's in 95-97, better than Burress' 3193 yards and 17 TD's in 01-03, and better than Holmes' 3011 yards and 18 TD's from 07-09.

NorthCoast
08-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Be interesting to see how this plays out in his big contract year. Not going balls out means lost market value. But going balls out risks major injury, which diminishes market value. People outside the organization and fan base think Wallace accomplished very little by holding out. I really think all the risk is now with Wallace and he screwed himself by not signing the deal the Steelers put forth. He can also be traded to a really awful team which will likely reduce his impact on the game.

NorthCoast
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
It's not as if he didn't earn a raise. He gave us 3206 yards and 24 touchdowns in 3 seasons, all while making $580,000 per season. Was he not balling out for those three seasons while making less than a quarter of what he will make under the RFA tender amount this season?

You do realize that is the second best three-season stretch by any receiver in Steeler history, right? (behind only Ward's 3495 yards and 26 TD's in 01-03). The first three seasons of Wallace's career (and he wasn't even a starter that first year) was better than any 3 years of any other Steeler wideout in his prime...better than Stallworth's 2765 yards and 24 TD's in 77-79, better than Swann's 2477 yards and 23 TD's in 77-79, better than Lipps' 2584 yards and 24 TD's in 84-86, better than Thigpen's 2949 yards and 14 TD's in 95-97, better than Burress' 3193 yards and 17 TD's in 01-03, and better than Holmes' 3011 yards and 18 TD's from 07-09.

Not saying he didn't deserve a big raise, but I believe what the Steelers reportedly offered was every bit fair. Obviously, Wallace felt otherwise. Can a team stay competitive and tie up more than $150M on only two players? You end up like an Indy, with only one side of the ball being competitive and the other side in constant mediocrity to make up for it.

steelz09
08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Wallace deserves a new deal but I still don't think he's worth over 10 per year which is what the Steelers offered.

But just because he earned the money because of his play the past couple of years doesn't mean anything if he doesn't produce at the same level going forward.

I think it's hilarious that players say they "outperformed" their contract and they want to get paid more. But what happens when they get payed more and they "underperform" their contract? Shouldn't they be required to give the money back? It happens all the time.... I don't see the players whining when they get injured and still make big money. I also don't see the players whine they are payed to catch an average of 10 TDs a year but then they only catch 4.

I'm of the opinion that most 'big player' contracts should have a couple million in guaranteed money and everything else is incentive based.

NorthCoast
08-28-2012, 08:10 PM
wallace is only trying to protect himself and his family. He has done nothing wrong. All the hysterics about learning the playbook and cutting his tender is hilarious.

you only need look at what happened to decastro to see what he was thinking.

hope they can get a deal done.

Please stop with the "only trying to feed the family" drivel. It is trite and condescending to those of us "only trying to feed the family" by slogging daily digging ditches, building bridges, or cleaning teeth.
We just heard the exact same statement made by the referee union and the replacement refs 'taking food off their table". Newsflash: in the real world there are plenty of people lined up to take one's job should you decide you aren't being rewarded appropriately.

Wallace can more than adequately protect himself and family with the money he was offered. this is every bit as much about ego as it is about sound personal management.

fordfixer
08-28-2012, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=papillon;520775]or center? :p
lining/QUOTE]
It just seems that everyone else is lining up to play guard;)

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 08:47 PM
please don't try and lecture me on the workings of the real world. I am one of those out there digging ditches everyday in an economy where a lot of people are either unemployed or working in a job they are severely over qualified to just try and pay the bills. I'm one of them.

so here is some real world analysis for you: mike wallace should try and squeeze every gatdamn penny out of whoever it is that wants to give it to him. He owes the steelers nothing. He is a "replaceable carbon unit" as many here believe. You better damn well believe I would get every nickel I could for myself and my family going forward. Real life comes at you fast chief. Trust me on that one.

take the black and gold glasses off and stop hating on these guys for wanting all they can get for playing a violent game. It just smacks of jealously.

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
what happens when they get payed more and they "underperform" their contract?

Then they get cut. Their non-guaranteed contract is simply terminated by their employer. That is why these players scratch and claw for every bit of guaranteed signing bonus dollars that they can. Can you really blame them for it?

Eich
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
please don't try and lecture me on the workings of the real world. I am one of those out there digging ditches everyday in an economy where a lot of people are either unemployed or working in a job they are severely over qualified to just try and pay the bills. I'm one of them.

so here is some real world analysis for you: mike wallace should try and squeeze every gatdamn penny out of whoever it is that wants to give it to him. He owes the steelers nothing. He is a "replaceable carbon unit" as many here believe. You better damn well believe I would get every nickel I could for myself and my family going forward. Real life comes at you fast chief. Trust me on that one.

take the black and gold glasses off and stop hating on these guys for wanting all they can get for playing a violent game. It just smacks of jealously.

So, by snubbing a $50M multi-year deal and now signing a 1 yr 2.7M deal, how exactly did he insure every nickel for himself? You would have done the same?

He blows out an Achilles this season and his hopes of grandure are over. He's not the complete receiver that a guy like Fitz is. Speed is Mike's game. He better get a contract while he still has it.

IMO, he'd be wise to get a deal done before the season starts.

fezziwig
08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Wallace is good but I'm not sure you can compare his stats with others or at least use them as he is better than the next guy. The other receivers came from run teams, probably played less games per season at the time. I give Wallace credit for not crying that he wasn't making big dollars when he knew he was a dynamite of a player. His time has come to ask for the money and he has the freedom to do so.
I'd love to give Wallace and all our special players a blank check but, you can't because the team will eventually go south. The Steelers front office knows what they are doing or what they can and can't do for Wallace so, I leave it at that. I think 10 mill per year was a good deal for him and especially that he is on a Super Bowl contending team.
As for wanting for my family all I can get yes , that is true. I'm self employeed and I'd love to write myself big checks and take the kids to Disney twice a year, yada, yada, yada but, I wouldn't be in business too long. The Steelers have the same thing on their mind with maintaining a balance of talent to compete each season.

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Not saying he didn't deserve a big raise, but I believe what the Steelers reportedly offered was every bit fair. Obviously, Wallace felt otherwise. Can a team stay competitive and tie up more than $150M on only two players? You end up like an Indy, with only one side of the ball being competitive and the other side in constant mediocrity to make up for it.

New England signed Gronkowski to an eight-year, $55.23 million contract back in June.

They signed Hernandez to a seven-year, $41.115 million contract yesterday.

And they are already paying Welker $9.515 million for this season on the franchise tag.

Is New England paying too much for Brady's weapons?

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I give Wallace credit for not crying that he wasn't making big dollars when he knew he was a dynamite of a player. His time has come to ask for the money and he has the freedom to do so.

Exactly. This is why I don't understand the vitriol against Wallace. He balled out under his first contract (performing WAY over what he was being paid for those first 3 seasons, but you never heard him complain about it one bit). Once that contract was up, then he tried to get a high paying deal more commensurate with his elite-level production. That's the way professionals act. On the field, play all out, regardless of what you are being paid. Then when the contract is up, that's when you start negotiating behind closed doors (he never used the media as a negotiating tool).

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm sure he wants to get a deal done, who wouldn't want that security.

but if he feels that it is in his best interests to wait and cash in on the open market, that's his decision. I'm just damn sick of steeler fans bashing this guy for trying to maximize his value. Anybody who wouldn't do the same is either lying or an idiot.

people who dig ditches and clean teeth clean teeth can't do what mike wallace can do. More than any other topic on here this wallace situation has really soured me on this message board.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
He blows out an Achilles this season and his hopes of grandure are over. He's not the complete receiver that a guy like Fitz is. Speed is Mike's game. He better get a contract while he still has it.

thanks for making my point.

this is his one shot in all likelihood, but yet you guys don't think he should take it.

pure homerism.

fezziwig
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
If you must know, I do clean peoples teeth in a ditch. The rent is very low. I'm an idiot then because as much as I want him to be paid what he is worth I still believe he can look at the bright side of things too.
1. 10 or 11 even 12 mill is a nice chunk of money. he should take it in my opinion.
2. he is an established player here.
3. he is the golden boy of receivers here.
4. he's on a super bowl contending team.
5. he has friends here.
6. the steelers drafted him so there must be sometype of enjoyment in that he could stick with the team that gave him his start.
7. he has a future hof qb throwing passes at him.
8. he's a steeler and it doesn't get any better than that.
9. the fans will always embrace him even when his fotball days are over.
10. he could endup on another team and be miserable.

Honestly, if someone wanted to pay me 10, 000 per year more I wouldn't take the new job. I'm happy where I am at, I like my house, neighborhood, friends, co-workers and all that makes my comfort zone.

steelz09
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Then they get cut. Their non-guaranteed contract is simply terminated by their employer. That is why these players scratch and claw for every bit of guaranteed signing bonus dollars that they can. Can you really blame them for it?

Yea but a lot of teams can't just cut a player without "eating" the money. It's not like the teams get all the money back on the books from a salary cap perspective like they should.

My view of this isn't just because of Mike Wallace. It's a view that I have for all of professional sports. It's getting out of hand. Professional sports is one of the only places that I can think of where an employee can hold an employer hostage for substantially more money (even after signing a contract) and win.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
If you must know, I do clean peoples teeth in a ditch. The rent is very low. I'm an idiot then because as much as I want him to be paid what he is worth I still believe he can look at the bright side of things too.
1. 10 or 11 even 12 mill is a nice chunk of money. he should take it in my opinion.
2. he is an established player here.
3. he is the golden boy of receivers here.
4. he's on a super bowl contending team.
5. he has friends here.
6. the steelers drafted him so there must be sometype of enjoyment in that he could stick with the team that gave him his start.
7. he has a future hof qb throwing passes at him.
8. he's a steeler and it doesn't get any better than that.
9. the fans will always embrace him even when his fotball days are over.
10. he could endup on another team and be miserable.

Honestly, if someone wanted to pay me 10, 000 per year more I wouldn't take the new job. I'm happy where I am at, I like my house, neighborhood, friends, co-workers and all that makes my comfort zone.

1. Your opinon doesn't matter.
2-7. So what.
8. Homerism
9. Gotta be kidding me
10. So what

you can't do mike wallaces job, so your comfort zone means squat.

Discipline of Steel
08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
New England signed Gronkowski to an eight-year, $55.23 million contract back in June.

And they are already paying Welker $9.515 million for this season on the franchise tag.

Yes, their defense sux.

papillon
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM

If the defense suffers to the point that it becomes a liability and in a one and done tournament a weak defense is a liability, then, yes, they overpaid for Brady's weapons. I don't care if Wallace is paid $30/hour or 30 million dollars, but he gained nothing and in a few short weeks the Steelers stop negotiating. What he did do however, is not get live reps in practice or a game and that can't be good for the timing of the passing game.

He could have reported, negotiated and received his big payday. Now he has to get through the year healthy and performing at a high level to get his payday.

Pappy

papillon
08-28-2012, 10:47 PM

this is his one shot in all likelihood, but yet you guys don't think he should take it.

pure homerism.

But, now his one shot carries even more risk, because he has to make it through a 16 game regular season and hopefully, a deep ruin in the playoffs before he gets the pay day. if he would have reported, he would still be making the 2.7 million and probably getting his long term deal done. I just don't see what he gained, it was obvious the Steelers weren't budging until he came to camp. Now to get the long term deal, he only has until the Denver game which is when the Steelers stop negotiations for the current year.

He'll be playing for the 2.7 million he thought wasn't enough and run the risk of the big pay day for a longer period of time. It doesn't make sense to me, but I don't have all the facts and they're dealing in numbers with a lot of zeroes in the significant digit positions.

He'll be behind the learning curve, but I'm sure he'll play because he's the Steelers best deep threat. He should have been in camp in my opinion, he wasn't, so now we see how it plays out.

Pappy

NorthCoast
08-28-2012, 10:57 PM

I AM jealous. I want what he has.

Since you are being so honest with the board, let me ask you a simple question; after your boss shells out $20M guaranteed money, exactly how hard and how long would you continue to dig those ditches? so the risk falls back on the owner. i am glad the Steelers are staying prudent on this one.
The bottomline question to answer is how many wins do you think Wallace is worth to the team per year? I happen to think the Steelers are a playoff team with or without Wallace, so I would not place his value as high as others might.

Sugar
08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Glad to see Mike back in the black 'n gold fold!! This is good new for an Offense that needs it after the DD injury. I'm sure Coach Tomlin will also like being able to talk to the press about him now (not).

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I AM jealous. I want what he has.

Since you are being so honest with the board, let me ask you a simple question; after your boss shells out $20M guaranteed money, exactly how hard and how long would you continue to dig those ditches? so the risk falls back on the owner. i am glad the Steelers are staying prudent on this one.
The bottomline question to answer is how many wins do you think Wallace is worth to the team per year? I happen to think the Steelers are a playoff team with or without Wallace, so I would not place his value as high as others might.

well at least you admit it.

your first question doesn't make any sense. Its foolish to keep comparing what I, or you, or my grandmother does for a living. None of us can do what wallace can do. Why do I nave to keep saying this? And the risk always falls on the owner in the NFL. Should we not resign any players at all because of the risk they might not perform? Be pretty hard to field a team.

how many wins? Hard to say. 1 or 2 possibly. And I never consider just getting to the playoffs as the ultimate goal.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Hard to be too hard on Mikey, since he wasn't under contract anyway. If he was violating his contract, like MJD, then that would be another story. Perhaps he didn't want to risk an injury for a meaningless preseason game--and jeopardize his future earning ability. I predict he'll be just fine this season. I think Brown may well overtake him as the #1 receiver, but Mikey will remain our premiere deep threat.

At this point, he's got only a few days to negotiate a long term deal--if he wants to stay in the 'Burgh. I think a deal will get done IF he truly wants to be here long-term. If not, we can franchise his arsse next season, and have him for one last campaign. I can't be too unhappy about Wallace at this point.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 12:43 AM
well at least you admit it.

your first question doesn't make any sense. Its foolish to keep comparing what I, or you, or my grandmother does for a living. None of us can do what wallace can do. Why do I nave to keep saying this? And the risk always falls on the owner in the NFL. Should we not resign any players at all because of the risk they might not perform? Be pretty hard to field a team.

how many wins? Hard to say. 1 or 2 possibly. And I never consider just getting to the playoffs as the ultimate goal.

In all due respect, I don't understand your point. Wallace can't do what many of us can do either. Many (not all) of these players would be in rough shape if they had to work a "regular" job. Instead, these guys make millions to play a freakin' sport and then have the audacity to complain about it. Yeah, think about that for a minute.... They play a GAME and get paid millions upon millions to do it. Oh yea, most of them only PLAY the GAME for 16 weeks.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Hard to be too hard on Mikey, since he wasn't under contract anyway. If he was violating his contract, like MJD, then that would be another story. Perhaps he didn't want to risk an injury for a meaningless preseason game--and jeopardize his future earning ability. I predict he'll be just fine this season. I think Brown may well overtake him as the #1 receiver, but Mikey will remain our premiere deep threat.

At this point, he's got only a few days to negotiate a long term deal--if he wants to stay in the 'Burgh. I think a deal will get done IF he truly wants to be here long-term. If not, we can franchise his arsse next season, and have him for one last campaign. I can't be too unhappy about Wallace at this point.

I agree. At least he wasn't under contract. And for the record, I'd love for the Steelers to franchise him next year too if it came to that. I don't think it will though as I'm a believer in that Wallace will sign a long term deal.

skyhawk
08-29-2012, 12:58 AM
In all due respect, I don't understand your point. Wallace can't do what many of us can do either. Many (not all) of these players would be in rough shape if they had to work a "regular" job. Instead, these guys make millions to play a freakin' sport and then have the audacity to complain about it. Yeah, think about that for a minute.... They play a GAME and get paid millions upon millions to do it. Oh yea, most of them only PLAY the GAME for 16 weeks.

I see what you're saying but that's how the cookie crumbles. We are all major 1 in a billion or more chances of even being alive. While he just plays a sport, his uniqueness as a top athlete in this world makes his services very valuable. People like Lance Armstrong, Oprah, Bill Gates, David Bowie, the Beatles, top innovative heart surgeons, inventors all have created their own markets for which people pay big bucks.

While I know you know this, it is kind of frustrating to me too because it seems so easy. For them it might be (wallace). But he has played the "system" well and getting paid well to do it. While I might want to be a super star or celebrity, I think I would rather be a regular Joe and make my own life on my own terms.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Mike Wallace of Steelers has no regrets about absence

By Dan Hanzus
Published: Aug. 28, 2012

Making like a tank with no reverse gears, Mike Wallace reported to Pittsburgh Steelers facilities with no regrets about his extended absence from the team.

For Wallace, there's only the here and now. He's not even worried about the scant amount of time he has to absorb a new offense under Todd Haley.

"Just being around football is what I missed," Wallace said. "Not really plays, so much. I mean, you have to be out there to run the plays, but I know the plays. I'm not really worried about that. I had a lot of time so all I did was study my plays. I know my plays."

Wallace was greeted like the prodigal son upon his arrival to Steelers camp at around noon on Tuesday. He later signed his much-discussed free agent tender worth $2.7 million. He hopes a deal can be completed at a later date.

"I mean that's down the road, hopefully I can," he said. "I mean, I'd love to be here, this is team that drafted me and this is where I want to stay. I'm not really worried about down the road. I'm just worried about playing football right now."

When told some people believe his contract demands are unreasonable, Wallace dismissed the notion.

"You talking about 'some'? You haven't heard my teammates say that. You never heard my coaches say that. Who is 'some'? I really don't care about 'some.' They don't matter to me."

There's probably going to be more rust involved than Wallace lets on, but the receiver's presence is a huge lift for Ben Roethlisberger and a Steelers offense that desperately needs him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055765/article/mike-wallace-of-steelers-has-no-regrets-about-absence

Eich
08-29-2012, 08:19 AM
There's probably going to be more rust involved than Wallace lets on, but the receiver's presence is a huge lift for Ben Roethlisberger and a Steelers offense that desperately needs him.

I'm glad he's back and he makes us a better team. But "desperately needs" ? I don't think so. We won the Super Bowl with Hines, Randel El and Cedrick Wilson. We now have Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and speedy RB/ball catcher Rainey. Wallace takes us to the next level for sure but I don't think we're desperate for his services.

Eich
08-29-2012, 08:27 AM

pure homerism.

I do think he should take it. Sign a long-term deal with the Steelers NOW. I'm sure both he and his agent have a good idea of what the Steelers are willing to pay. Take that deal, get your garanteed money, be a multi-millionaire, invest wisely, build your brand and make even more money in endorsements. Wallace can guarantee his future right now.

Otherwise, by playing out this season for $2.7M, he's risking no long-term deal ever if he has any injury that takes away his speed.

flippy
08-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Yea but a lot of teams can't just cut a player without "eating" the money. It's not like the teams get all the money back on the books from a salary cap perspective like they should.

My view of this isn't just because of Mike Wallace. It's a view that I have for all of professional sports. It's getting out of hand. Professional sports is one of the only places that I can think of where an employee can hold an employer hostage for substantially more money (even after signing a contract) and win.

This is true if you think of an athlete like the average worker in a company. But these guys get paid like executives and executives can hold companies hostage over salary. Even moreso because they have guaranteed contracts unlike a footballer.

flippy
08-29-2012, 08:43 AM

no one's jealous of a guy that makes a lot of money. the guy digging a ditch has less responsibility and an easier life. the jealousy likely goes the other direction imho. or it should.

sounds like you've experienced both sides of the equation and know which side offers the real possibility for greater happiness. either. cause we can choose to be content in any situation.

flippy
08-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Brady's offense scored 32 points per game last year. Ben's scored 20. Seems you could make a case that Brady's weapons are more valuable. How much more? I dunno.

At the same time, there's probably a case for balance between O, D, and ST.

And then, how many of those 20 points does each player impact? Maybe Gronk is worth 10 and Wallace is worth 5? There's probably a very complex mathematical model that could help us figure out each player's worth and it's impact on winning NFL championships.

I wish there was a book "Moneyball - The NFL Edition" that broke the math down for us.

flippy
08-29-2012, 08:56 AM

IMHO, NFL players work way harder than any of us. Our regular jobs are a piece of cake in comparison to what these guys have to do. Any monkey could do most of our jobs. Maybe one of you fellars in a world reknowned brain surgeon or something, but if you were, you wouldn't have time to post on here most likely, so I'm assuming we all do jobs monkeys could do. :)

feltdizz
08-29-2012, 08:59 AM

..and this is why only a select few can play professional sports. It's one of the perks of making it to the highest level...

Any person in an industry that can fill a stadium, theater, concert hall, etc... and sell merch 24/7/365 will be in a position of power if they separate themselves from the pack.

Sugar
08-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Dukes and Sharper weigh in: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000055649/Will-Mike-Wallace-be-ready?module=HP11_content_stream

steelz09
08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
This is true if you think of an athlete like the average worker in a company. But these guys get paid like executives and executives can hold companies hostage over salary. Even moreso because they have guaranteed contracts unlike a footballer.

That's true but executives have much more responsibility in that regard. It's like Rooney's responsibility compared to Mike Wallace's. Using Wallace as an example, he will make more than most executives in 16 weeks compared to 52 weeks of an executive. People's livlihoods are dependent on a lot of executives (even though a lot are crooks). People's lives are in the hands of surgeons and engineers and such. Not so much with a wide receiver on a football team.

At the end of the day, it is what it is..... Professional sports has gotten out of hand. A top tier athlete can make more than a top tier surgeon or engineer. A very good athete can get a scholarship over a very good student because even college athletics is now big business. A high school athlete that is dumb as rocks but is an all-state star can make it into a good school while an "average" student would get denied at the same school. That is just the reality of things now and I acknowledge that even though I think it's wrong.

Like I said, I don't mind if Wallace make 50 million or 60 million. I just think all professional athletes should make a couple million in guaranteed money and the rest be incentive based. If Wallace's base salary is 3 million but he catches 12 TD's and makes another 8 million in incentives then that's great for him, the Steelers and the Steelers fans. But if he catches 2 TD's, then he should only make an additional 1 million (as an example).

steelz09
08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
IMHO, NFL players work way harder than any of us. Our regular jobs are a piece of cake in comparison to what these guys have to do. Any monkey could do most of our jobs. Maybe one of you fellars in a world reknowned brain surgeon or something, but if you were, you wouldn't have time to post on here most likely, so I'm assuming we all do jobs monkeys could do. :)

Work WAY harder than most of us? I seriously doubt it. Why would you think that?

Because they have to study a playbook? I have to 'study' and read reference books and constantly learn new things that are always changing day-to-day on my job. My fellow coworkers have to do the same. We aren't necessarily getting paid to do that. We are doing that so we can perform our job, grow our skillsets and keep our jobs and not get outdated.

Because they work out in the offseason? I pay a gym so I can workout after my 8-10 hour work day. These guys are getting paid to do something (like workout) that most of us willingly pay a fee to do whether it's a gym membership, personal trainer or whatever.

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Like I said, I don't mind if Wallace make 50 million or 60 million. I just think all professional athletes should make a couple million in guaranteed money and the rest be incentive based. If Wallace's base salary is 3 million but he catches 12 TD's and makes another 8 million in incentives then that's great for him, the Steelers and the Steelers fans. But if he catches 2 TD's, then he should only make an additional 1 million (as an example).

I think this hypothetical situation would result in way more me-first divas and way less team players.

flippy
08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Work WAY harder than most of us? I seriously doubt it. Why would you think that?

Because they have to study a playbook? I have to 'study' and read reference books and constantly learn new things that are always changing day-to-day on my job. My fellow coworkers have to do the same. We aren't necessarily getting paid to do that. We are doing that so we can perform our job, grow our skillsets and keep our jobs and not get outdated.

Because they work out in the offseason? I pay a gym so I can workout after my 8-10 hour work day. These guys are getting paid to do something (like workout) that most of us willingly pay a fee to do whether it's a gym membership, personal trainer or whatever.

An NFLer's work is his life. A football player's job is 24x7. You just said you have an 8-10 hour work day. So you've probably got a free 8 hours a day plus weekends that you own. That's 72 hours a week that are your to do what you may.

Mike Wallace or other footballers don't have those extra hours. The more one gets paid, the less freedom one has. Money doesn't really have that much value. Only the value we give it. If you have a choice, freedom's likely the best option. Simple is almost always better. Consume less than you have. Give generously. Be thankful. And you'll be alright. Most likely better off than most football players.

It's one of those the grass always looks greener, but it's not. The common man has better grass. The media doesn't care about you. There's no stress of having every decision of your being followed by the public. You have no fans. No obligations to large numbers of people.

Money = Control. Look at what Jerry Jones is doing to Dez Bryant. Where's the freedom? Why would anyone trade their lives and time for money?

I bet if you asked anyone on their dying bed if they wish they had more time or more money, almost everyone would ask for more time.

We're lucky we're not pro athletes.

flippy
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I think this hypothetical situation would result in way more me-first divas and way less team players.

How bout this scenario. There's roughly 32 teams and $100M cap per team. That's $3.2B for players. Let's pool the money and pay everyone a base salary of $250K. That's roughly $400M in base salaries.

Then let's say you take the rest and give it to be split evenly by the team that wins the SuperBowl. That'd be about $52M per player on the SB winning team.

Or maybe you split it 60/40 with the SB winner and loser. Or divy it up amongst the playoff teams?

Or divy it up based on team performance and give a % to each of the 32 teams to be split evenly.

I like the $52M per player for the SuperBowl winner.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
An NFLer's work is his life. A football player's job is 24x7. You just said you have an 8-10 hour work day. So you've probably got a free 8 hours a day plus weekends that you own. That's 72 hours a week that are your to do what you may.

Mike Wallace or other footballers don't have those extra hours. The more one gets paid, the less freedom one has. Money doesn't really have that much value. Only the value we give it. If you have a choice, freedom's likely the best option. Simple is almost always better. Consume less than you have. Give generously. Be thankful. And you'll be alright. Most likely better off than most football players.

It's one of those the grass always looks greener, but it's not. The common man has better grass. The media doesn't care about you. There's no stress of having every decision of your being followed by the public. You have no fans. No obligations to large numbers of people.

Money = Control. Look at what Jerry Jones is doing to Dez Bryant. Where's the freedom? Why would anyone trade their lives and time for money?

I bet if you asked anyone on their dying bed if they wish they had more time or more money, almost everyone would ask for more time.

We're lucky we're not pro athletes.

Those 8-10 hrs don't include the 20+ hrs week I put into this site :)

As far as being lucky not to be a pro athlete...speak for yourself. I would love to trade places with a pro athlete. I bet the majority of people out there would take being a pro athlete over their day job ... any day of the week. I would also bet that the majority of pro athletes would not take our job if push came to shove.

You know how I know that? Because for some reason, I don't see a bunch of pro athletes willingly quit their pro athlete jobs to take other jobs. Some of these NFL players finished their college degrees. They could quit the NFL or simply choose not to enter the NFL and join the working middle class like the majority of us. But for some very very strange reason, they decide the NFL is a better option <sarcasm>.

I wonder how all these players have time to go to clubs, play Madden, and tweet all day, family time, play golf, etc with their 24/7 job. I'm surprised Big Ben's 24/7 job allowed him to play golf at some of world's best golf courses in the offseason.

As far as Dez Bryant goes... He's a moron that would most likely be in jail if it wasn't for the NFL. The same can be said for waaayyy to many NFL players.

I wonder if Mike Wallace would be interested in swapping careers with me for 1 year.

That way, he can stay healthy... and make huge money next year when a team overpays for him.

And I can make 2.8 millions (or whatever the tender is..) for 1 year.

Somehow, I don't think Mike Wallace would make that trade. Oh well.

phillyesq
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM

Excellent point. Who would unselfishly make a block if there was a straight pay/per stats compensation system?

feltdizz
08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Anytime a person tries to compare their job to an NFL players it screams of jealousy. You don't get paid like an actor, pop star or athlete because you aren't one.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Anytime a person tries to compare their job to an NFL players it screams of jealousy. You don't get paid like an actor, pop star or athlete because you aren't one.

Thanks captain of the obvious :)

Of course, I'm jealous. I'll admit that... I'd love to be a pro athlete.

Shoe
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM

It's a debateable point. Some people would consider working out til you feel like puking, to be way harder than the job they're doing. Others would jump at that chance. The "pain" in the game of football isn't so much banging and all that (which is a BIG part of the pain, don't get me wrong), but the pain is in the preparation. It does feel like you're killing yourself in a sense. Battling 90-degree weather, going out there when you are aching from the day before, doing gassers... that does require a level of TOUGHNESS.

flippy
08-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Those 8-10 hrs don't include the 20+ hrs week I put into this site :smile:

And thanks for doing that. And that kind of reinforces the point, you've got 20+ hours to spend on this hobby. :)

I'm happy speaking for myself as the common knuckledragger in this world. No special talents. Just an average run of the mill person. I'd get killed if I played in the NFL. One tackle would snap my neck and cause a brain injury. So it's really not even a possible scenario for me to switch jobs with Mike Wallace.

I wouldn't want to play a sport for a job. It would take a hobby and turn it into work. That pretty much ruins any hobby. Money screws up most everything. I wouldn't want to have to worry about my body and what goes in it and making eating and training my job. Yuck. That would ruin life.

And then being in the public eye for everyone to dissect my every move. Not that I care what people think so much as I would not want to have so many people to think about me good or bad. That would be weird to me. I wouldn't want to see myself on tv or hear myself on the radio or have any of those unneeded complexities in life.

I like blending in the crowd. Attention and scrutiny aren't my thing.

I suspect the majority of people would fail miserably under a microscope. Heck, the whole media culture is designed around the negative failures of the famous.

I guess it all comes down to what I value in life. I just don't see the allure to having Mike Wallace's life. I think mine's better. Call me crazy. Simple is fine by me.

For me to take Mike Wallace's life, I'd have to give up more freedom and have more hassels than the extra money would be worth. Granted, I'd only need to live his life for a year to pay for my lifetime. But I still don't think it would be for me.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Excellent point. Who would unselfishly make a block if there was a straight pay/per stats compensation system?

You can have incentives for everything like winning....

In the current system there is me-first divas. That will always be the case regardless of the system. Certain franchises are open to those type of players... and others aren't. That wouldn't change either.

steelz09
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
And thanks for doing that. And that kind of reinforces the point, you've got 20+ hours to spend on this hobby. :)

I'm happy speaking for myself as the common knuckledragger in this world. No special talents. Just an average run of the mill person. I'd get killed if I played in the NFL. One tackle would snap my neck and cause a brain injury. So it's really not even a possible scenario for me to switch jobs with Mike Wallace.

I wouldn't want to play a sport for a job. It would take a hobby and turn it into work. That pretty much ruins any hobby. Money screws up most everything. I wouldn't want to have to worry about my body and what goes in it and making eating and training my job. Yuck. That would ruin life.

And then being in the public eye for everyone to dissect my every move. Not that I care what people think so much as I would not want to have so many people to think about me good or bad. That would be weird to me. I wouldn't want to see myself on tv or hear myself on the radio or have any of those unneeded complexities in life.

I like blending in the crowd. Attention and scrutiny aren't my thing.

I suspect the majority of people would fail miserably under a microscope. Heck, the whole media culture is designed around the negative failures of the famous.

I guess it all comes down to what I value in life. I just don't see the allure to having Mike Wallace's life. I think mine's better. Call me crazy. Simple is fine by me.

For me to take Mike Wallace's life, I'd have to give up more freedom and have more hassels than the extra money would be worth. Granted, I'd only need to live his life for a year to pay for my lifetime. But I still don't think it would be for me.

And that's fine...

But my point is that

#1 - These guys have spare time.
#2 - They get paid to work out, diet etc. There are tons of people like myself that do that and it's not their job. Heck, I pay for a gym membership to workout like a lot of people do.... these guys get paid to do it. I work out, try to eat healthy, etc not because it's fun and not because I get paid to stay in shape. I do it simply because I don't want to get overweight and I want to try to stay healthy.
#3 - You don't need to be in the spotlight. A lot of these players like the spotlight and they choose to be in the spotlight. I don't remember Barry Sanders having a huge spotlight on him. What about Heath Miller? He gets paid very well, plays in the NFL and is not in the spotlight.

fezziwig
08-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Well he's back and as he said, he's back to help his team. What a crock, he's back to help himself and money is his real desire. He's not here for his team, his buddies or being a part of a winning organization or all the plus side of things you can come up with, it's all about money for him. He's fast he's good and he wants paid for it. I hope the Steelers find the money to keep him without hurting the teams future. If they can't sign him then, good luck to Wallace and all his Washingtons. We will win without him as we've done in the past. He was a no show in the big games anyway. Or was it at the second half of the seasons he wasn't a factor ?
I never cared for greedy players, players that had to have the cameras on them, talked crap all the time or what have you. I'd rather have a team without the big mouth Porters, Ray Lewis types, Eric Green and possibly now Wallace.
Brown, Cotchrey, Sanders are more than enough for a good receiving nucleus. I wish the Steelers would spend 10 mill a year on a linebacker rather than Wallace.

Oviedo
08-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Well he's back and as he said, he's back to help his team. What a crock, he's back to help himself and money is his real desire. He's not here for his team, his buddies or being a part of a winning organization or all the plus side of things you can come up with, it's all about money for him. He's fast he's good and he wants paid for it. I hope the Steelers find the money to keep him without hurting the teams future. If they can't sign him then, good luck to Wallace and all his Washingtons. We will win without him as we've done in the past. He was a no show in the big games anyway. Or was it at the second half of the seasons he wasn't a factor ?
I never cared for greedy players, players that had to have the cameras on them, talked crap all the time or what have you. I'd rather have a team without the big mouth Porters, Ray Lewis types, Eric Green and possibly now Wallace.
Brown, Cotchrey, Sanders are more than enough for a good receiving nucleus. I wish the Steelers would spend 10 mill a year on a linebacker rather than Wallace.

Yes to this. Dulac in his recent chat posted in a thread here expressed doubts they would retain Wallace long term. I still put the odds at less than 50% he stays beyond getting franchised next season.

steelz09
08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I just can't believe that Wallace would turn down a 10/mil a year. To me, it doesn't make any sense.

He'll be playing 1 year on a tender and could risk injury. If he does get injured, he won't see 10/mil a year. If he underperforms, he won't see that money. It's been rumored that he wants 11.5 / year. Is it really worth taking all the risk for the extra 1.5 million a year?

If you add in the possibility that the Steelers could franchise him next year, it makes the 10/mil a year contract offer even more appealing.

flippy
08-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I just can't believe that Wallace would turn down a 10/mil a year. To me, it doesn't make any sense.

He'll be playing 1 year on a tender and could risk injury. If he does get injured, he won't see 10/mil a year. If he underperforms, he won't see that money. It's been rumored that he wants 11.5 / year. Is it really worth taking all the risk for the extra 1.5 million a year?

If you add in the possibility that the Steelers could franchise him next year, it makes the 10/mil a year contract offer even more appealing.

I agree with this logic and this is why I'm lead to believe the Steelers may be trying to lowball Wally. Anything close to reasonable should be acceptable to Wally given the risk reward.

Wally didn't put out any info on numbers or negotiations as far as I can tell. So I suspect the Steelers are the ones that have been using the media to make Wally look like the bad guy to the fans and warm the fans up to the idea of football without Wally in the future.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I would be surprised if the gap between the sides is an average-per-year type thing ($10 million vs. $11.5 million) since those numbers can easily be fudged with balloon payments at the end which are unlikely to ever be obtained...the sticking point for these deals these days is almost always about the guaranteed dollars, not the total amount of the contact. Wallace's signing bonus won't be $8.5 million like Antonio Brown's...he'll be looking for something in the $20 million range.

feltdizz
08-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks captain of the obvious :)

Of course, I'm jealous. I'll admit that... I'd love to be a pro athlete.

anytime... at least you can admit it, most who talk like you do about athletes claim otherwise.

you devote 20+ hours (and I thank you for it) to a Steeler board.

These players devote a lot of time to their craft. These are grown men doing drills most of us did as kids. It's not easy.. and it's not a game. It's a game to us but it's a job and these guys are literally tossed to the curb when injured.

As far as the Dez Bryants are concerned... maybe he would be in jail if he wasn't an NFL player but most people who have never been told no all their lives and now have big pockets tend to get in trouble. Plenty of players with the talent Dez had didn't make it through HS or didn't make it in college. A lot of these players wake up and realize they can't do whatever they want and they lead productive lives.

Too often the 10% of players who are getting in major trouble get more shine than the other 90% who are leading decent lives...

feltdizz
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM

That's not realistic... can you name one defense that was considered great that didn't have a Ray Lewis or James Harrison type who talked trash and backed it up?
What you want is a Harvard or Brown type team where all the players are respectful, play for the love of the game and never win anything.

AS far as playing for the team.. who does that? The only time a player is playing for the love of the game is when they are on the downside of their career. Do you think Ben would be a Steeler if we low balled him? Look at Peyton... he put in a ton for the Colts and they fired him and all the people associated with him once they felt his time was up. The whole "play for the team is a myth IMO" These guys love the Steelers as long as they feel they are being compensated what they are worth. As soon as the money gets funny they move on.

I love this team but I'm not going to lie to myself and act like the players who reported love the game more than Mike Wallace.

If that car in your sig is yours that is one sweet ride!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Somebody please point out where/if I'm wrong here, but: Why the h*** didn't he show up 3 days or so sooner, so he could practice with the team in time for the 1st regular season game? As I understand it now, he'll be missing some of the practice because of the 3-day blanking period after signing?

Thanks -

Slapstick
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Somebody please point out where/if I'm wrong here, but: Why the h*** didn't he show up 3 days or so sooner, so he could practice with the team in time for the 1st regular season game? As I understand it now, he'll be missing some of the practice because of the 3-day blanking period after signing?

Thanks -

He is in time to practice for the 1st regular season game. He did not report in time to practice for the last preseason game. The three-day waiting period will elapse well before practices for the regular season begin.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
He is in time to practice for the 1st regular season game. He did not report in time to practice for the last preseason game. The three-day waiting period will elapse well before practices for the regular season begin.

Yup...the Steelers have the weekend off following the Carolina game tonight. Wallace will be able to practice with the team on Monday, the first scheduled pre-Broncos practice.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Yup...the Steelers have the weekend off following the Carolina game tonight. Wallace will be able to practice with the team on Monday, the first scheduled pre-Broncos practice.

OK, thanks Slap and Ruth, and Yayy!!

P.S. Ruth - awesome sig pic! Did you do it?

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
OK, thanks Slap and Ruth, and Yayy!!

P.S. Ruth - awesome sig pic! Did you do it?

It's one of RB Baron Batch's paintings.

You can see more of his work on this thread:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/38286-Barron-Batch-s-art-is-profiled-on-ESPN-com

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike Wallace Returns To Steelers Ė Should I Jump For Joy?

Aug 29th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/jumpingJoy_web.jpeg?6ba732

Hey did ya hear? #17 returned to the Steelers on Tuesday and signed his one year tender of $2.7 million. I want to be happy, but should I be jumping for joy?

I guess Iím just irritated about how all of this went down on his end Ė demanding a big paycheck but not quite living up to the Ďlegendaryí hypeÖ. yet. The Steelers were smart to not give in. And, perhaps they will be seen as smart by not trading him. But I still think this all went down wrong, and canít shake the feeling that in the end the Steelers are going to get the short end of the stick Ė meaning no long term deal and a snarky receiver who will have more complaints/excuses during the season than touchdowns. Just listen to what he said on his first day back:

ďMy teammates need me. Itís time to get ready for the season. I felt like it was time to go. Iím ready to roll. Iím here. Thatís really all that matters to me.Ē

Now Wallace either had a Ďcome to Jesusí with himself last week, or he is feeding us a bunch of bull. I canít help but assume the later and believe that Wallace needs to listen to himself spout that drivel into a microphone. Thatís all that matters? Really? Highly unlikely. If that were really the case, your rear end would have been in camp on day one, and you would have worked out your contract issues while you caught passes during drills. That little feeling of Ďit was time to goí was your pocket book crying and your future career pleading for you to salvage it. Itís true that your teammates need you Ė as in they need you to get on the field so reporters can quit pestering them with questions about Mike Wallace. But, in actuality you need them more than they need you.

And you should remember that.

Is it good overall that Mike Wallace is back? I think it depends on his route running. The offense needs to rely heavily on the quick pass due to the O-line still working things out. Donít expect to see the deep ball much in the first few weeks. Wallace will need to win us over with slants and quick curls. Letís hope he can lose guys in the flat after he catches the ball. Heíll need to evolve a little as a player. And, my Steeler Nation friends, if he can do that it will be WIN WIN for he and the Steelers.

Excuse me while I go try and find a trampolineÖ.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/29/mike-wallace-returns-to-steelers-should-i-jump-for-joy/

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
That's not realistic... can you name one defense that was considered great that didn't have a Ray Lewis or James Harrison type who talked trash and backed it up?
What you want is a Harvard or Brown type team where all the players are respectful, play for the love of the game and never win anything.

AS far as playing for the team.. who does that? The only time a player is playing for the love of the game is when they are on the downside of their career. Do you think Ben would be a Steeler if we low balled him? Look at Peyton... he put in a ton for the Colts and they fired him and all the people associated with him once they felt his time was up. The whole "play for the team is a myth IMO" These guys love the Steelers as long as they feel they are being compensated what they are worth. As soon as the money gets funny they move on.

I love this team but I'm not going to lie to myself and act like the players who reported love the game more than Mike Wallace.

If that car in your sig is yours that is one sweet ride!

I realize guys are in it for the paycheck and would be fools to allow their services to go cheap. I just feel at some point an individual needs to realize, money isn't everything and going for the ultimate last dollar from their team/owner shouldn't out weigh the over all picture. I don't like loud mouth players but that's just me. Probably if I was a young person from the age of 12 to 20 that kind o stuff would impress me or seem funny to me. You don't have to be a loud mouth or character to be a good sports player. It didn't work for Chad Johnson, T.O or many other big mouths that have no hardware. I don't follow other teams to know if they had big mouh players on defense so I guess the only team I can fall back upon are our Steeler defenses of the 70's. No one on thatteam seems to jump out at me as being a blabber mouth look at me type.
I don't look at James Harrison as a big mouth or a look at me type of person. The lowest of the low is Ray Lewis to me and not because I'm a Steeler fan or he is in our division....I just don't like the guy and how poorly he behaves and the non proffesional attitude he has. I wouldn't like him even if he was a Steeler player. I didn't like the linebacker that was on the Broncos back in the day either. I think it was Romanowski and I might dislike him more than Ray Lewis. I dislike Ray before the game, after the game but, I had no respect for Romanowski before/after /during the game. Much like Sapps.
Thanks, this is my car in sig that I restored probably 22 years ago. The interior is beatiful too and done in all mohair. I kept it as original as possible and I have never lost in a car show. I have a few others that I post on my sig every once in a while.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I agree that blabbermouth diva wideouts aren't worth the trouble, but on defense, you need to have at least a few players with attitude. They don't have to take the trash talk public in the media like Joey Porter, but you need a guy who will talk to the guy across the line of scrimmage, tell him what you are going to do to him, and then go ahead and do it. True intimidators. The 70's teams had Joe Greene and Jack Lambert as two of the greatest examples of that in NFL history. Bad@$$es that other teams fear. You can also have more cerebral, reliable guys out there like Troy Polamalu or Jack Ham too, but there will always be a place for guys like Greg Lloyd or James Harrison as well.

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree 100% with that type of guy as you describe Ruthless. On the field talk and backing it up is spot on.........stirring the pot off the field is for glory hounds, look at me type of guys. You know, like guys that don't wear their helmets while on their motorcycles. ( and I'm not talking about Ben )

aggiebones
09-06-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm worried he plays scared this season. I gave up around $20M in guaranteed money and a nice 5 year contract and instead will play for under $3m. That's a HUGE difference. $3m at his age is not set for life. $20M would be.
I could easily see him limping off the field in game 1-2 with a mild hammy.

squidkid
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm worried he plays scared this season. I gave up around $20M in guaranteed money and a nice 5 year contract and instead will play for under $3m. That's a HUGE difference. $3m at his age is not set for life. $20M would be.
I could easily see him limping off the field in game 1-2 with a mild hammy.

3 million is not enough to be set for life?

aggiebones
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Not at his age. For one its more like $1.5 of his $2.7M

The magic of investment's past is not the same. You and I may be able to make piles of money starting with that amount, but not your average intelligence football player. And by his maneuvers, he has shown less than average intelligence.
He's probably already spent half a million of it on his agent, financial adviser and the local nude bar girl.

Oviedo
09-06-2012, 12:22 PM
3 million is not enough to be set for life?

It's 30 years of a $100,000 per year salary. It ain't living on welfare and if you were intelligent enough and motivated enough to get another job you could live a very comfortable life. The problem is these guys want extravagence not comfortable.

Slapstick
09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
It's 30 years of a $100,000 per year salary. It ain't living on welfare and if you were intelligent enough and motivated enough to get another job you could live a very comfortable life. The problem is these guys want extravagence not comfortable.

You could live a very comfortable life on $100K per year without a job...

squidkid
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
You could live a very comfortable life on $100K per year without a job...

I can see the players being ignorant enough to think they should never have to get a job after football, but the fans?

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Something seems different with Mike Wallace

by Mark Kaboly

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mike-wallace-2012.jpg

Wide receiver Mike Wallace, or the self-proclaimed "Fast Money" member of the "Young Money Crew" likely won't get his "Big" money from the Steelers. Wallace and the Steelers have until approximately 3 p.m. Saturday to sign a long-term deal, or Wallace will play the final year of his contract without any assurances for the future. Maybe that's why Wallace has seemed different in the locker room ever since his return last week. Usually, Wallace is engaging with his teammates, as well as the media. This year, he doesn't appear to be interested in flashing that infectious smile and outgoing personality -- sort of like he has other things on his mind. Now, it's early, but could this be a precursor of things to come especially if Wallace and the Steelers don't get a deal done within the next few days? If a deal doesn't get done, it is going to be interesting to see if Wallace will be able to let that not affect him.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/cc85f311-330c-4411-944b-5ea970225b9d/?source=twitter

BradshawsHairdresser
09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Hard as it would be to believe, maybe Mike actually thought he was going to get Fitzgerald-type money.

hawaiiansteel
09-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Hard as it would be to believe, maybe Mike actually thought he was going to get Fitzgerald-type money.

and he seems insistent on at least getting Desean Jackson/Vincent Jackson type money...

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Wallace has seemed different in the locker room ever since his return last week. Usually, Wallace is engaging with his teammates, as well as the media. This year, he doesn't appear to be interested in flashing that infectious smile and outgoing personality -- sort of like he has other things on his mind.

Yeah, maybe he is busy trying to cram 7 months worth of OTA's, minicamps, training camp, etc. into 7 days, so he doesn't have much time to goof around with teammates and media right now...just a thought.