PDA

View Full Version : Would You...

Flasteel
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
...keep only two quarterbacks on the roster in order to hold DeCastro's spot, if he could make it back by December?

Sugar
08-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I might keep two QB's, but DD is done for the year IMO.

D Rock
08-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I might keep two QB's, but DD is done for the year IMO.

The team and coaches talked to the media about it a lot today. Decastro was in very upbeat about it all. He is going in for surgery Wednesday and is not expected to be IR'ed at this time.

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 11:20 PM
By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Aug 27, 2012

PITTSBURGH – Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had no update Monday on injured guard David DeCastro, other than the first-round draft pick will have knee surgery Wednesday and that Tomlin will update the local media Thursday night after the team’s final preseason game.

DeCastro was carted off the field Saturday night in Buffalo where he reportedly tore the MCL in his right knee, dislocated his kneecap, and suffered damage to his patellar tendon.

It all sounds serious, but reports are circulating the Steelers will not put DeCastro on the season-ending injured reserve list when final cuts are made Friday.

http://burgh.us/fth

Shawn
08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I have little hope that DeCastro will play this year so no...I want three.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Regardless of whether we do it to keep a spot for Decastro or another reason, it all comes down to who your #3 is. If we are holding the spot for Batch then I would do it anyway for Saunders' spot. At his age, his brittle body, and his experience, it would not take him long to get back into the swing of things if called upon. I say keep him around as "Asst. QB coach" and in case he is needed we bring him back.

flippy
08-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Steelers may only need to keep Ben and Byron with Charlie on speed dial. The real question is do they keep JJ?

They could potentially keep just Ben and JJ with Charlie on speed dial and bring in Charlie if Ben ever gets hurt. But I would think they want to keep Byron around who's still relatively young by QB standards. Byron can step in and win if Ben ever goes down in a 1st Q and I think the team needs that in the backup QB.

So then the question is do you want to keep JJ around because you see long term potential?

D Rock
08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Steelers may only need to keep Ben and Byron with Charlie on speed dial. The real question is do they keep JJ?

They could potentially keep just Ben and JJ with Charlie on speed dial and bring in Charlie if Ben ever gets hurt. But I would think they want to keep Byron around who's still relatively young by QB standards. Byron can step in and win if Ben ever goes down in a 1st Q and I think the team needs that in the backup QB.

So then the question is do you want to keep JJ around because you see long term potential?

No way would I cut Byron. A solid veteran backup QB is too nice of a luxury to throw it away.

SteelBucks
08-28-2012, 07:48 AM
No way would I cut Byron. A solid veteran backup QB is too nice of a luxury to throw it away.

I agree. IMO, the Steelers will keep three on the roster (Ben, Leftwich and Batch) and sign Johnson to the practice squad.

aggiebones
08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't see the logic of keeping Batch when you have Lefty healthy going into the first game. Yes, if Ben gets hurt, you call Batch immediately. But you don't need 2 old brittle veterans sitting on the bench. If Ben and Lefty get hurt in a game...you stick in JJ and assume a loss. And frankly, if the injury to Ben is hypothetically long, just kiss the season goodbye and get a good draft pick, while playing the young guy. Cause you ain't winning a SB without Ben.

Shoe
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't see the logic of keeping Batch when you have Lefty healthy going into the first game. Yes, if Ben gets hurt, you call Batch immediately. But you don't need 2 old brittle veterans sitting on the bench. If Ben and Lefty get hurt in a game...you stick in JJ and assume a loss. And frankly, if the injury to Ben is hypothetically long, just kiss the season goodbye and get a good draft pick, while playing the young guy. Cause you ain't winning a SB without Ben.

Exactly. And... there is a low likelihood of anyone picking up said old brittle backup (Batch). He's likely to just be sitting and waiting, when/if we need.

Another reason I'd want to keep DeCastro active is in the event that our season tanks. Of course, we don't want to see it. But let's say our season is basically over by December... it's a good opportunity to get him some playing time in the 2012 season. Even in the middle of a playoff charge, we will certainly need OL bodies.

Slapstick
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
There is not only the possibility of two QBs...the Steelers may only keep 4 WRs....

If one of the WRs after Cotchery on the depth chart hasn't stepped up and proven himself (there are a couple candidates who have shown flashes in the preseason, like Gilreath and D. Williams), sign a couple of them to the PS...

When the Steelers use a 5 WR formation, they generally use Miller or Mendenhall (or now Rainey) as the 5th WR...

Jigawatts
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
I think the irony here is that with DeCastro out we might need 3 quarterbacks. :shock:

flippy
08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the irony here is that with DeCastro out we might need 3 quarterbacks. :shock:

LOL - (Can't LOL without 10 characters any more)