PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Steelers will have first losing season since 2003

BigRob
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe it is just my general morass about this season, but I am starting to get a strong feeling that this is going to be the first losing season for the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger.

I am predicting 7-9, what say you?

As an aside, I believe this will mostly be the case because Roethlisberger will miss 1 to 3 games with an injury.

Flasteel
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
I say that as long as Ben Rothlisberger is healthy, it will be next to impossible for this team to have a losing record. The talent on both sides of the ball is just too good.

Crazy, pessimistic thinking in my opinion.

flippy
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
19-0 baby. It's the only record that makes sense to me.

BigRob
08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I say that as long as Ben Rothlisberger is healthy, it will be next to impossible for this team to have a losing record. The talent on both sides of the ball is just too good.

It is pessimistic thinking, but not crazy. This is the same team that went 9-7 in 2009 after winning the Superbowl. I also stated that I don't think Ben can stay healthy. If he is healthy I think 9-7 or 10-6 is possible.

bayz101
08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
As long as Ben Roethlisberger is healthy, we'll be a .500 + team.

Jooser
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I say the last time we had a first round OL pick go down with an injury, we won the effing Super Bowl.........suck it.

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM

it's a coping mechanism:

if you always expect the worst, you have a higher chance of being pleasantly surprised more often.

if you always expect the best, you have a higher chance of being disappointed frequently.

Shawn
08-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Agreed, with a healthy Ben I just don't see a losing season. Anything is possible but I see no indicators to support BigRob's opinion.

Shawn
08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
it's a coping mechanism:

if you always expect the worst, you have a higher chance of being pleasantly surprised more often.

if you always expect the best, you have a higher chance of being disappointed frequently.

Hawaiian the therapist...I like it. Hey I keep having this reoccuring dream about running naked through Old Navy. What do you think about that? ;)

SidSmythe
08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
This might be the most insightful post i've ever seen online. excellent, excellent post indeed!! :loser

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Hawaiian the therapist...I like it. Hey I keep having this reoccuring dream about running naked through Old Navy. What do you think about that? ;)

hey Shawn, hope this helps. I wish you a speedy recovery back to mental health...:p

"I'm Naked!"

So you are going about your normal routine - going to work, waiting for the bus, or just shopping at Old Navy - when you suddenly realize that you are stark naked. Dreaming that you are completely or partially naked is very common. Nudity symbolizes a variety of things depending on your real life situation.

Becoming mortified at the realization that you are naked in public, reflects your vulnerability or feelings of shamefulness. You may be hiding something and are afraid that others can see right through you. Metaphorically, clothes are a means of concealment. Depending on the type of clothes you wear, you can hide your identity or be someone else. But without them, everything is hanging out for all to see. You are exposed and left without any defenses. Thus your naked dream may be telling you that you are trying to be something that you really are not. Or you are fearful of being ridiculed and disgraced. Such anxieties are elevated especially in situations where you are trying to impress others. Perhaps you are in a new work environment or in a new relationship. You may be expressing fears or apprehension in revealing your true feelings in such situations.

Nudity also symbolizes being caught off guard. Finding yourself naked at work or in a classroom, suggests that you are unprepared for a project at work or school. You may be unprepared in making a well informed decision. With all eyes on you, you fear that some flaw will be brought to public attention. You fear that people will see through your true self and you will be exposed as a fraud or a phony.

Often times, when you realize that you are naked in your dream, no one else seems to notice. Everyone else in the dream is going about their business without giving a second look at your nakedness. If this happens in your dream, then it implies that your fears are unfounded; no one will notice except you. You may be magnifying the situation and making an issue of nothing.

If you dream that you are proud of your nakedness and show no embarrassment or shame, then it symbolizes your unrestricted freedom. You have nothing to hide and are proud of who you are. The dream is about a new sense of honesty, openness, and a carefree nature. Perhaps you are trying to get to the bare facts. Alternatively, the dream may be telling you that you are drawing the wrong kind of attention to yourself. You want to get noticed, but are going about it the wrong way.

http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/nakeddreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=nakedintro

Notleadpoisoned
08-27-2012, 05:07 PM
2003? I'm thinking more like a repeat of 2004.

Discipline of Steel
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the Chicken Little Society BigRob. You should run for president.

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Monday August 27, 2012

by Don Banks - INSIDE THE NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/don_banks/08/27/afc-north-preview-2012/troy-polamalu.jpg

Troy Polamalu needs to rediscover his playmaking ways this season.

What the Steelers do best: Stop the bleeding.

Have you ever noticed how Pittsburgh doesn't do losing streaks? The Steelers simply have no tolerance for them. Whatsoever.

The Steelers haven't dropped consecutive games at all in the past two seasons and in three of the past four, and their last losing streak came in 2009, when a five-game slide in November and early December wound up costing them the only non-playoff season in head coach Mike Tomlin's five years on the job. All told, the Steelers in the past five regular seasons have lost two in a row twice (2007 and 2009), and then endured that five-game skid in '09. That's it. The rest of the time, it was one and done on the losing front. It's an impressive and very handy skill to have, and it leads to being the playoff perennial that Pittsburgh has been for the past four decades or so.

What the Steelers have to improve: Their takeaway total.

Somehow the Steelers led the NFL last season in pass defense (171.9 yards per game), total defense (271.9) and scoring defense (14.2 ppg), and still didn't get enough impact from their defense. That's because Pittsburgh's 15 takeaways were the fewest in the league, with their 11 interceptions and four fumble recoveries paling compared to 2010's top-five totals of 21 interceptions and 14 fumble recoveries, and representing the lowest takeaway total ever posted by a Dick LeBeau coordinated defense.

The injuries that plagued outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley had plenty to do with the decreased takeaway total, but big-play safety Troy Polamalu saw his interception total drop from seven in 2010 to just two last season. Pittsburgh needs the big play to return to its defensive arsenal this year.

Which Steeler needs to step up: Keenan Lewis, cornerback

The time is now for Lewis, a fourth-year pro who looks almost certain to claim the vacant starting cornerback spot opposite veteran Ike Taylor. Pittsburgh has liked what it has seen of Lewis this summer, with few blown assignments and the ability to fight through an early-camp shoulder injury and quickly get back on the field. With both William Gay and Bryant McFadden departing this offseason, Lewis and second-year man Cortez Allen will be counted on heavily to improve the production at cornerback, the only real weak link on Pittsburgh's defensive roster.

Predicted record: 11-5.

To be sure, there are issues on offense to be wary of -- the impact of new coordinator Todd Haley, the health at running back and offensive line, and the youth on that offensive line -- but the Steelers simply know how to build a team and manage the rigors of the long NFL season. There might be some challenges early, with four of the first six games on the road, but Pittsburgh will be there in prime position when the schedule turns more favorable in December, just in time to wrap up the fourth AFC North title in Tomlin's six seasons.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/08/27/afc-north-preview-2012/index.html#ixzz24mDIzPI7

BigRob
08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the Chicken Little Society BigRob. You should run for president.

Really? You can search my post history, not normally a pessimistic type. Just a gut feeling this year.

Djfan
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I had a dream once that there was this extremely creepy naked dude in the Old Navy I almost entered.

What does that mean?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-27-2012, 05:47 PM
don't see it.

the schedule dictates 10-12 wins with a healthy roethlisberger.

I will say I expected baltimore to take a little step back, but after watching them I am not so sure that happens. They have looked pretty good in the preseason, which means little. Gonna be another dogfight in the north.

Lebsteel
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
I say the last time we had a first round OL pick go down with an injury, we won the effing Super Bowl.........suck it.
Great response!! Today on ESPN, while reviewing the AFC North, Gruden was asked if the Steelers would win more than 11 games and he said he thought 12 games sounded about right and the Ravens would win maybe 10. I'd like it if the Ravens would win, maybe...1 or 2. :tt2

Discipline of Steel
08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Really? You can search my post history, not normally a pessimistic type. Just a gut feeling this year.

Thats why its a welcome and not an annual membership renewal :p

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Flippy and I always predict 19-0 baby!!

D Rock
08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Thats why its a welcome and not an annual membership renewal :p

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Flippy and I always predict 19-0 baby!!

not this year....it looks like flippy has an 18 game winning streak to follow an opening night loss that works the team into a season-long fury.

Discipline of Steel
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
19-0 baby. It's the only record that makes sense to me.

Despite all the gnashing of teeth about 'PM' shredding us, Flippy is on the record for 19-0.

flippy
08-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Despite all the gnashing of teeth about 'PM' shredding us, Flippy is on the record for 19-0.

Just cause Peyton looks like he's back, doesn't mean we can't score more points, right?

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Just cause Peyton looks like he's back, doesn't mean we can't score more points, right?

Steelers win 56-55, scoring a TD with 1 second left on the clock so LeBeau's defense can't cough up another 4th quarter lead...:tt2

DBR96A
08-28-2012, 06:58 AM
The Steelers will not have a losing season as long as Ben Roethlisberger plays at least half the season.

JDSteeler
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Why post something as F-ing STUPID as this, is beyond me???

JD

Sugar
08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Anything is possible, I suppose. If healthy, I think this team can compete for a Lombardi. However, we don't know how injuries (to Ben or anyone else) will break down during the year. Pessimistically speaking, we could lose Harrison, Troy, Woodley and Keisel on D and be pretty thin. We could have the musical chairs issues on the OL and lose Ben as well as have the RB issues we've had. That would make it pretty hard to have a winning team if others can stay healthy and consistent.

On the other hand, things could shake out nicely for the team as well and they could have another #1 Defense and and explosive new high-powered Offense that gets them to #7. Either way, I expect and exciting season ahead.

flippy
08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Sounds like consensus is we're bringing home #7 this year.

Let's go fellars!!!!!!!

SidSmythe
08-28-2012, 10:01 AM

JD

Beyond me too....why it made 3 pages is beyond me!!!

flippy
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Beyond me too....why it made 3 pages is beyond me!!!

It's 3 pages because everyone's disagreeing with BigRob. I personally welcome the difference in opinion.

There are a lot of changes and injuries this team is dealing with, so I can see it as a reasonable position to take. We do have 6 tough divisional games and about 4 other tough games in Denver, NYG, Philly, and Dallas. We've also got Oakland on the West Coast and San Diego in December when they are typically hot and right after Balt/Clev/Balt which is a stretch where we'll likely come away a little beat up.

At the same time, if we're mediocre, we can probably win half those games + the rest, so that's a worst case 10-6. But the difference between 10-6 and 7-9 is a very thin line in the NFL.

And to Big Rob's point, there are a lot of questions about the Steelers at this point.

That said, I'm still thinking 19-0.

Pops8
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Is it really required to have a gushing and glowing opinion to be welcome here? Is it really not okay to look at the team and be concerned?

What is more likely? We go 19-0 this year or the team has to struggle through:
1. DD injury
2. Mendy injury with IRed showing early nicks.
3. Wallace Drama
4. New Offense
5. Question about Foote in the middle
6. Clark aging and unable to play in Denver; Troy P. in his 30's
7. JH and Worilds not yet at full tilt
8. Gilbert struggling early
9. Questions at CB across for Ike

to name but a few

It is far more realistic to look at this team's barnacles and think there are choppy seas ahead rather than insisting everything is fine and predict a 19-0 record. Saying so doesn't make me a pessimist or chicken little, it makes me a realist with my eyes open. Telling someone their post is ****ing stupid because one doesn't agree with the OP is childish.

I do think the team is talented and I do think the team will be okay in the long run. There are few teams in the league that could overcome such early adversity; the Steelers are one of those teams. However, it is quite possible that this team is primed for a sluggish start and a couple more injuries could easily send the season into the tank. Pointing to the possibility doesn't make me a hater and it certainly doesn't mean I am rooting or hoping for a bad outcome. But some fans won't like to hear it so the response will be to attack the poster instead of looking at the source of the concerns and shedding positive light on how the team might overcome those concerns. Typical.

I guess with that, I won't be really welcome among these parts. Oh well.

BigRob
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM

JD

What is beyond me, is why you think it is stupid to post an opinion on a message board. That makes you a f*cktard and you have a small penis to go with your small brain.

AngryAsian
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM

JD

Psssssttttt.....because its a message board and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

AngryAsian
08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
What is beyond me, is why you think it is stupid to post an opinion on a message board. That makes you a f*cktard and you have a small penis to go with your small brain.

Easy Rob.... proliferation of the same ignorance via personal attacks not a good idea.

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Is it really required to have a gushing and glowing opinion to be welcome here? Is it really not okay to look at the team and be concerned?

1. DD injury
3. Wallace Drama
4. New Offense

to name but a few

It is far more realistic to look at this team's barnacles and think there are choppy seas ahead rather than insisting everything is fine and predict a 19-0 record. Saying so doesn't make me a pessimist or chicken little, it makes me a realist with my eyes open. Telling someone their post is ****ing stupid because one doesn't agree with the OP is childish.

I do think the team is talented and I do think the team will be okay in the long run. There are few teams in the league that could overcome such early adversity; the Steelers are one of those teams. However, it is quite possible that this team is primed for a sluggish start and a couple more injuries could easily send the season into the tank. Pointing to the possibility doesn't make me a hater and it certainly doesn't mean I am rooting or hoping for a bad outcome. But some fans won't like to hear it so the response will be to attack the poster instead of looking at the source of the concerns and shedding positive light on how the team might overcome those concerns. Typical.

great post $$$$
you're welcome in my neck of the woods anytime Pops...:Cheers

feltdizz
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
"As long as Ben stays healthy" we have a chance to win a SB every year.... but if the D doesn't show up or plays like we are in Denver and it's 2009 we could have a long season.

The D is still the key to our success. We aren't winning any shoot outs anytime soon IMO.

Sugar
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
"As long as Ben stays healthy" we have a chance to win a SB every year.... but if the D doesn't show up or plays like we are in Denver and it's 2009 we could have a long season.

The D is still the key to our success. We aren't winning any shoot outs anytime soon IMO.

You've got an "AMEN" from me on that front. Ben is a big part of things, but there is a lot that has to go right in order to have a championship season.

BigRob
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Easy Rob.... proliferation of the same ignorance via personal attacks not a good idea.

You are of course right. I apologize.

pittpete
08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Im cancelling DirectTV then if we havn't got a chance......:eek:
Of course this is a message board, but you have to be prepared to take it no matter what you post w/o overreacting.
You start a thread w/o backing it up.
You are entitled to an opinion but put some reasoning behind your post.
My 2 cents

Slapstick
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I agree. Anyone can post an opinion on a message board, but that opens you up to merciless ridicule...

BTW, you can ridicule mercilessly and still be civil....

flippy
08-28-2012, 03:54 PM

1. DD injury
3. Wallace Drama
4. New Offense

to name but a few

I gotta call you out on that #5 and #9 BS :P

Re: #5 - Larry Foote is an awesome football player. Way underrated. He's small and slow, but makes up for it with instincts. He's always been a steady eddy. He's one of the guys I have supreme confidence we can count on to perform well. He's never gonna be great, but a very solid player that will do what needs to be done play in and play out.

Re: #9 - I think Lewis and Allen have really stepped up in this preseason and our CBs are gonna be the strength of our defense. We've now got 3 big corners that can press. And Lebeau started to show it a little this preseason. Cortez is looking like he has the potential to be the best player in our secondary since the Woodsen and Lake days. This trio being big and able to press is gonna help us get pressure.

From what I've seen so far, I think the questions are still the same. Can the Steelers control the LOS? Get to the QB and protect the QB. That's why we couldn't get turnovers and why we can't keep Ben healthy for the playoffs.

Same questions as last year really.

Cause at the end of the day, Ben + Defense = Championships.

Steelgal
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I also dont' feel as optomistic about this season as I normally do, but still ready for it to get here. If they can keep Ben upright and uninjured, anything is possible. The loss of Decastro though is big, as well as Adams not playing well in the preseason. I have faith in Starks, but he's coming off an injury as well. For the first time in recent years, I was excited about the oline, now it's as big of a concern as ever.

We've been thinner than usual at the running back position too because of injuries. And with Wallace holding out as long as he did, not sure how long it will take him and Ben to get onto the same page and get their timing down. I also hope Sanders can stay healthy. I didn't get to see the Bills game because I was at a soccer tourney, but in the prior 2 games our red zone production didn't look much better than last year.

The main concern on defense is our linebackers/depth. Who knows how Harrison will hold up. It seems like Worilds and Sylvestor can't stay healthy either. I don't remember a time when our LB depth was this spotty.

I know all teams sustain injuries and have to deal with that, but I just hope we can get some guys healthy and keep them that way. Ben's not getting any younger and can not continue to take the hits he has in the past.

I don't think it will be under .500 or feel doom and gloom, as long as we have a healthy Ben. But I'm a bit more reserved about how I think they do.

Pops8
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I gotta call you out on that #5 and #9 BS :P

I'm fine with that and you backed yourself up with a thought process instead of resorting to ad hominem argument. That is how it should be done.

I don't want to derail the thread, but the CB's are new. They may be exciting, but until we see them in games it is still a potential question. Foote is also aging just like James Farrior did so the question is can he remain steady the entire year. I tend to believe he will be fine, but its one I've seen people throw out. I'd be happy to discuss the ups/downs/concerns on D if you want to do another thread.

skyhawk
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
This Offense knows it MUST score points and not depend on the D to be "#1" year and year out. A healthy slimmed down BB and a nice receiving corps makes me excited more than previous seasons, ESPECIALLY IF they can get to scoring in the red zone.

If our D can produce more TO's (and not just fewest yards and TD's etc) the O will have a much shorter field to work with. Getting the ball inside the 10 more than any other team in the league just hurts (after our D makes stops - but not turnovers) this teams ability to score. The D was just utterly PATHETIC in creating turnovers last year.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Will Todd Haley's offense pay dividends?

NFL.com
Aug. 28, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers

2011 record: 12-4 (Second in AFC North)
2011 statistics | 2012 Preseason Statistics | Roster | Tickets

Fearless Forecast

Bucky Brooks

Mike Tomlin wants the Steelers to return to their running roots, but the lack of a franchise running back will force Ben Roethlisberger to shoulder the offensive load again in 2012.

Prediction: 9-7, third in AFC North

Daniel Jeremiah

The Steelers will be legitimate contenders as long as Ben Roethlisberger is healthy and Dick LeBeau is running the defense. However, a lot of moving parts need to come together on offense, and the older defensive stars must avoid injury.
Prediction: 8-8, third in AFC North

Adam Schein

I'm very concerned about the offensive line, the health of Rashard Mendenhall, the happiness of Mike Wallace, whether or not Wallace will learn the new playbook and the dynamic between Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley.

Prediction: 8-8, third in AFC North

Steve Wyche

The Todd Haley-Ben Roethlisberger union will bear huge fruit. The Steelers' offense will ring up a lot of points and let the defense tee off.

Prediction: 11-5, second in AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers 2012 Schedule

Wk Date Matchup TV Time

1 Sun, Sept. 9 at Denver Broncos NBC 8:20 p.m.
2 Sun, Sept. 16 vs. New York Jets CBS 4:25 p.m.
3 Sun, Sept. 23 at Oakland Raiders CBS 4:25 p.m.
4 Bye
5 Sun, Oct. 7 vs. Philadelphia Eagles FOX 1 p.m.
6 Thu, Oct. 11 at Tennessee Titans NFLN 8:20 p.m.
7 Sun, Oct. 21 at Cincinnati Bengals NBC 8:20 p.m.
8 Sun, Oct. 28 vs. Washington Redskins FOX 1 p.m.
9 Sun, Nov. 4 at New York Giants CBS 4:25 p.m.
10 Mon, Nov. 12 vs. Kansas City Chiefs ESPN 8:30 p.m.
11 Sun, Nov. 18 vs. Baltimore Ravens NBC 8:20 p.m.
12 Sun, Nov. 25 at Cleveland Browns CBS 1 p.m.
13 Sun, Dec. 2 at Baltimore Ravens CBS 4:25 p.m.
14 Sun, Dec. 9 vs. San Diego Chargers CBS 1 p.m.
15 Sun, Dec. 16 at Dallas Cowboys CBS 4:25 p.m.
16 Sun, Dec. 23 vs. Cincinnati Bengals CBS 1 p.m.
17 Sun, Dec. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns CBS 1 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054822/article/will-todd-haleys-offense-pay-dividends

aggiebones
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
7-9 is absolutely the worst case scenario.

Oviedo
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Yee of little faith, we will be 11-5 and will win the AFC North. The offense will be better with Haley and hopefully the defense can be at least a the level they were last year (minus the Denver game).

Ravens will take a step backwards as will the Bumgals. Both will be 9-7.

Browns will be 5-11 or 6-10 as Weedan gets hammered.

Slapstick
08-29-2012, 11:33 AM
The Ravens are dealing with almost exactly the same problems that people list as reasons for the Steelers doing poorly this year:

Age on Defense
Inconsistent Offensive Line
Uncertainty at WR

They might have Ray Rice, but our QB is a lot better than theirs...

steelblood
08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
great post $$$$
you're welcome in my neck of the woods anytime Pops...:Cheers

Used to be, when this board was first getting started that the only opinions not lambasted were ones that involved slurping the Steelers and all that they do. For the most part, if you were negative, you were on the outs. In the past few years, I believe things have mellowed. This is still a mostly positive place were "negative" opinions often find instant resistance. But, in general, there are a lot of open minded folks around who are willing to take off the rose-colored glasses and see this team for what it is (good or bad).

I certainly think it is possible this team could struggle. I believe that they will have a winning record and be in the playoff hunt. But, I think a subpar season is absolutely a possibility (especially with injuries).

GGPa
08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
We play one game at a time.
The first one is scary Due to no Ryan Clark witch makes Troy Polamalu just another good safety.
(Kind of like a Cryptonite effect)

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Previewing and predicting the Steelers

AUG 30
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Drum roll please ... my prediction for first place in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now, before you crack open an Iron City in celebration, I should let everyone know my track record when it comes to predictions. I'm very good at predicting games week to week. But I'm absolutely terrible at season predictions. Last season, my forecast for the division (from first to worst) was: Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals. In other words, I was wrong on every team.

Here's the preview page for the Steelers. And here's five things you need to know about them:

1. They want to run the ball: At least, run the ball more than they did last season, when they kept it on the ground 42 percent of the time. The 434 rushing attempts in 2011 were the Steelers' second-fewest total in the past 20 years. New offensive coordinator Todd Haley has returned the fullback to the Steelers' offense, and set the tone in training camp by running on nearly every play in the first full-team drill. With starting running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee) expected to miss the first month of the season, the Steelers are turning to Isaac Redman, who has averaged 4.5 yards per carry in his two-year career and ran for 121 yards in the playoff loss at Denver. Durability is a question mark for Redman, because he's had double-digit carries in only four career games and missed time this preseason with an injured hip.

2. Top-ranked defense isn't satisfied: The Steelers' defense finished No. 1 last season for the third time in Mike Tomlin's five years as coach, but the players don't feel as if they were dominant on that side of the ball. Pittsburgh was tied for 17th in the NFL with 35 sacks, and ranked last with 15 takeaways. The Steelers either had no takeaways or just one in 13 of 17 games last season (including the playoffs). Increasing the pressure on quarterbacks should increase turnovers. Healthy versions of James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley -- they missed a combined 11 games last season -- would boost both sacks and takeaways.

3. Stability on offensive line is much-needed: The blockers for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were stuck in a bad game of musical chairs last season. The Steelers used a league-high 25 different offensive-line combinations, and they started four players at left guard. Pittsburgh showed its commitment to creating some continuity on the line by selecting offensive linemen with its first two picks in the 2012 draft (guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams) and by re-signing tackle Max Starks. The Steelers moved Willie Colon from tackle to left guard, and started DeCastro at right guard from the start of the preseason. DeCastro, injured in the preseason against Buffalo, might not play this season, however. Starks and Adams are battling for the left tackle job.

4. Cornerbacks will get tested: Even though the run defense dropped from first to eighth last season, the target is on the Steelers' unproven cornerbacks. Keenan Lewis, the nickelback last season, is taking over for William Gay. Lewis has fought through injuries in training camp to keep the starting job from Cortez Allen, who is expected to be the third corner. Quarterbacks aren't going to be throwing in the direction of Ike Taylor. Only 41 percent of passes were completed against the seven-year starter last season. That means the pressure is on Lewis and Allen, who have combined for one start and one interception in their careers.

5. Timing is right for Roethlisberger: The two-time Super Bowl winner turned 30 this year, hitting the prime of his career. And with the retirement of Hines Ward, all eyes are on Roethlisberger to lead this offense. The key to Roethlisberger has been and always will be his health. He's recovered from an ankle injury that derailed his season, and he doesn't seem concerned about a small tear in his rotator cuff. Roethlisberger, who has been sacked at least 40 times in five of his past six seasons, has built a reputation of playing through pain. Imagine what he could do in an injury-free season.

DIVISION FINISH: 1st -- With all of the camp drama now over, Pittsburgh has the fewest questions of any team in the division. As long as Roethlisberger remains healthy and the defense remains in the top five, the Steelers are the class of the division.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

BigRob
08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Health is going to be a huge problem for this team. Old roster and early injuries.

Steelerphile
09-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Health is going to be a huge problem for this team. Old roster and early injuries.

The state of health concerns me a lot. They had three significant injuries during preason. DJ, (Eff the haters). He was coming on strong and was going to play an important role. A bigger loss than some fools realize. DJ to Pope is a downgrade and Will Johnson has ability and potential but does not seem completely ready. Although right now Ramon Foster might be DeCastro's equal, in due time, DeCastro was going to be really good and the OL depth becomes a problem. Other injuries will occur.

I liked Sean Spence, very instinctive. I like Slyvester less, he is injured also. Foote probably will struggle if he doesn't have good depth behind him. Harrison and Worilds are hampered by injury. Cris Carter better be the beast he is touted to be because they need him, but I'm reserving some judgement on him until he gets a few sacks in the games that count.

Injury to Redman. I like Dwyer but is he well-conditioned enough to carry the load? Mendenhall coming back from injury. I think they will be in trouble in the running game if Baron Batch becomes the lead back.

The Steelers really need to be lucky with injuries for the rest of the season.

Starlifter
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
as usual, in my mind it comes down to the O-line. If they are healthy and play smart consistent football this will be a successful season. The defense to me is a question mark - so we need an offense that controls the ball, clock and limits the time the defense is on the field. Of course, that's ALWAYS a key ingredient to success, but that's why I focus on the 5 up front. When they work well, the team wins. simple.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Starkey: Steelers look like 10-6 team

By Joe Starkey
Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=0fKA3 hSdFXCKlrjcR4w95s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtrc8aDZbDQQf4 eYPdpfPfJWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin high fives Troy Polamalu after dropping Rams running back Steven Jackson for a loss on third down at Heinz Field Dec. 24, 2011

Their season starts in Denver, but the Steelers’ best chance for a successful campaign begins, as always, in the brutal AFC North.

Not even the Cleveland Browns can ruin this division’s reputation. It’s the only one that has sent multiple teams to the playoffs each of the past four seasons, including three in 2011.

Bet on this: More than one will make it again. The Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals all appear capable of winning 10 games or more.

“Baltimore will be at the top of the AFC, as they are year-in and year-out,” says Steelers safety Ryan Clark. “Cincinnati made a push, and I think they can become a team that advances in the playoffs.”

Tongue planted firmly in cheek, Clark added: “And the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers — we’re going to be old and slow, and we’re going to try to figure out if we can make some plays.”

The division’s nature has changed since its inception in 2002 (a year the Browns actually made the playoffs, by the way, with an offensive coordinator named Bruce Arians).

It’s a pass-first division now, no different than the rest of the league.

“The game is changing,” Clark says, “from a tough man’s sport into basketball with shoulder pads on.”

Conventional wisdom might still peg the Ravens as “run-first” and the Steelers as “getting back to the run,” but let’s be serious. The Ravens passed the ball 54 percent of the time last season, and the arrow is pointing up: They unveiled a no-huddle attack this preseason.

The Steelers have a $102 million quarterback and one of the NFL’s best receiving corps. Think they’re gonna line up with a fullback every play?

Like everybody else, AFC North teams must answer two critical questions if they are serious about winning a Super Bowl: 1. Can we pass? 2. Can we stop the pass?

Ancient Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis is a monument to the times: He has dropped 20 pounds in hopes of better defending the pass.

A look at the contenders …

STEELERS

• What we like best: Point potential from an offense that was the AFC’s youngest by the end of last season. … Ben Roethlisberger, who gives this team its best chance to win a seventh Super Bowl. … Youthful energy along the defensive line and proven star power in the back seven.

• Don’t like: Age and lack of depth looming in certain sectors of the defense (sorry, Ryan). … The fact that an offensive line that was supposed to be significantly upgraded really wasn’t.

• Breakout player: Ziggy Hood.

• Keeping an eye on: The budding relationship between Todd Haley and Roethlisberger. Over-under on first sideline blow-up: third quarter of Jets game, Week 2.

• Record: 10-6 (wild card)

RAVENS

• What we like: Joe Flacco’s new position coach: Jim Caldwell, who brought the no-huddle concepts used with Peyton Manning. … Ray Rice. … Under-the-radar impact players on defense, including Jameel McClain, Pernell McPhee and Bernard Pollard.

• Don’t like: Age and lack of depth looming in certain sectors of the defense (sound familiar?) … The fact that an offensive line that was supposed to be significantly upgraded really wasn’t (sound familiar?).

• Breakout player: Torrey Smith.

• Keeping an eye on: Terrell Suggs’ return from a torn Achilles. He vows to regain top form immediately. Seems unlikely.

Record: 11-5

BENGALS

• What we like: Dalton to Green. You’re going to be hearing that a lot. As Clark says, “Green is a superstar.” … A full offseason for coordinator Jay Gruden to implement his offense. … Disruptive defensive line, especially if Carlos Dunlap fulfills his potential.

• Don’t like: Pass defense questions — Leon Hall coming off Achilles injury, Nate Clements aging and safety Taylor Mays unproven. Outside the division, Bengals faced a bevy of bad quarterbacks last season. They don’t have that luxury this year. Will see plenty of good ones over the second half, including the Manning brothers back-to-back.

• Breakout player: Jermaine Gresham.

• Keeping an eye on: Jeff Faine, released by Tampa, replaces Kyle Cook at center.

• Record: 9-7 (miss playoffs).

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2545299-85/com-sports-tribweb-editor-steelers-triblive-pittsburgh-clark-joe-assistant#ixzz25f9Ffx1e

BigRob
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
A lot of you phukkers were giving me hell over this prediction, and now half the board is falling apart. Too hilarious.

BigRob
11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Maybe it is just my general morass about this season, but I am starting to get a strong feeling that this is going to be the first losing season for the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger.

As an aside, I believe this will mostly be the case because Roethlisberger will miss 1 to 3 games with an injury.

I take no pleasure in this, but remember when everyone said It was stupid to post this prior to the season?

I really hope I am wrong at this point, but 7-9 looks very realistic. :(

Oviedo
11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I take no pleasure in this, but remember when everyone said It was stupid to post this prior to the season?

9-7 at worst and 11-5 at best; most likely 10-6. I really believe we will win 3 of the next 7 at least. Now that I'm recovering from the psychological trauma of Ben's injury I actually think Lefty will do a good enough job to get us the wins we need to get into the playoffs. Once there though I think we are one and done without Ben.

flippy
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM

I thought you were just pessimistic before, but now you think we're going 1 and 6 to finish the season. That's beyond pessimistic.

BigRob
11-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I thought you were just pessimistic before, but now you think we're going 1 and 6 to finish the season. That's beyond pessimistic.

How is this beyond pessimistic?

This is a QB driven league more than ever before. We have already lost to the Raiders and Titans. We almost lost to KC in OT. That was WITH BEN.

Make all of the excuses you want, but look at our remaining schedule. What game do we have a decisive QB advantage? None.

You can also argue 2010 all you want. This is not the same defense. Clark(Concussion issues), Polamalu (Held together by string), Hampton (Not the same player).

Why is it not realistic to think we could go 1-6 to end the season?

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Make all of the excuses you want, but look at our remaining schedule. What game do we have a decisive QB advantage? None.

I would say we have a QB advantage over the Cleveland Browns and Brandon Weeden.

BigRob
11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I would say we have a QB advantage over the Cleveland Browns and Brandon Weeden.

I can see this one, but it is not much. Considering Lebeau's advantage over rookies. The thing I would say to this is that Weeden can beat you more than Cassel and the Browns have a very good defense. I would say realistically the Steelers go 1-1 with Cleveland this year.

hawaiiansteel
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I can see this one, but it is not much. Considering Lebeau's advantage over rookies. The thing I would say to this is that Weeden can beat you more than Cassel and the Browns have a very good defense. I say would could realistically go 1-1 with Cleveland this year.

I'll agree with you here, the game at Cleveland sandwiched in between the two Ravens games is going to be very tough.

feltdizz
11-16-2012, 04:03 PM
you bammas...

every time Ben goes down, "oh, no's.. the season is lost"

I will be shocked... shocked I tell you, if we miss the playoffs. Watch this D step up.

flippy
11-16-2012, 04:05 PM

This is a QB driven league more than ever before. We have already lost to the Raiders and Titans. We almost lost to KC in OT. That was WITH BEN.

You can also argue 2010 all you want. This is not the same defense. Clark(Concussion issues), Polamalu (Held together by string), Hampton (Not the same player).

Lefty's QB rating is it's best when he's playing for Pittsburgh. He's an average QB and has as much talent around him on O as he's ever had in his career. If he maintains a 100+ QB rating while playing for us, he'll be amongst the top QBs in the league.

Lefty hasn't thrown an INT in Pittsburgh. And we haven't lost a game with him. The only game he's participate in that we've lost was several years back vs Philly. The game was lost and he came in top mop up for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the team will step up and focus more to help Byron.

Based on his historic performance with us, no reason he can't go 7-0 down the stretch or he'll get hurt. But to expect him to 1-6 just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Over his career, he's won 50% of his games. And he's got a team that's better than average.

Everyone thought we'd got 0-4 when Ben got suspended. We've seen enough of the standard being the standard to expect more.

papillon
11-16-2012, 05:36 PM

You aren't taking into account that the team has been getting better week by week the KC game is the anomaly. You're looking back at the beginning of the year and transferring that play into this week's game. More likely is the fact that the defense will continue to play well (the trend recently) and the offense needs to continue to improve and not make mistakes. The special teams while not making any big plays have not given up any big plays either, Suisham has been money all year and Butler has been good at situational punting, but not great at just booming it when necessary.

The coaching staff and players have adjusted well to each team that they have played during the game. Leftwich took all the snaps this week, Haley has said his offense isn't a system, but an offense predicated on the personnel that he has to work with. I'm sure he'll refine the playbook to take advantage of Leftwich's strengths and mitigate his weaknesses to the extent that he can.

Sit back, relax and watch a good game Sunday night, the Steelers may surprise you, I won't be shocked or disappointed if they win or lose.

Pappy

BigRob
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Lefty's QB rating is it's best when he's playing for Pittsburgh. He's an average QB and has as much talent around him on O as he's ever had in his career. If he maintains a 100+ QB rating while playing for us, he'll be amongst the top QBs in the league.

Lefty hasn't thrown an INT in Pittsburgh. And we haven't lost a game with him. The only game he's participate in that we've lost was several years back vs Philly. The game was lost and he came in top mop up for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the team will step up and focus more to help Byron.

Based on his historic performance with us, no reason he can't go 7-0 down the stretch or he'll get hurt. But to expect him to 1-6 just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Over his career, he's won 50% of his games. And he's got a team that's better than average.

Everyone thought we'd got 0-4 when Ben got suspended. We've seen enough of the standard being the standard to expect more.

What was his record the last time he was a starter?

That would be Tampa Bay in 2009. He got benched after an 0-3 start.

He also lost his gig to David Garrard, not exactly a world beater. He went more than two years between starts. He is also older than Ben and is injury prone his whole career. His career passer rating is 79.5.

He is a great Back-up QB, but there is a very realistic chance this team goes 1-6 to end the season if Ben does not come back.

NJ-STEELER
11-16-2012, 06:37 PM

wait

you posted this before the season started, didnt you?

we went 6-3 despite missing out best D player for most of the season and it took an injury to our franchise QB for you to come back and say your prediction wasnt off base?

am i missing something here?

BigRob
11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
am i missing something here?

Yep,

You missed the part where I said we would have a losing season because Ben would get injured. With Ben: Winner. Without Ben:Losers.

Steelreal
11-16-2012, 11:03 PM
What was his record the last time he was a starter?

That would be Tampa Bay in 2009. He got benched after an 0-3 start.

He also lost his gig to David Garrard, not exactly a world beater. He went more than two years between starts. He is also older than Ben and is injury prone his whole career. His career passer rating is 79.5.

He is a great Back-up QB, but there is a very realistic chance this team goes 1-6 to end the season if Ben does not come back.

Did you see that Tampa Team? You do recall Steve Young in Tampa dont you? How did he do? Put him on a good team and you saw what happened. You dont think Roethlisberger benifits from being on the Steelers? How many Qbs get to go to the SB after playing as poorly as he did vs the Jets? How many get to win one as badly as he played in 05?

Ben has led us to our share of wins too but lets not act like Leftwich is the only one to benefit from being a Steeler. Ike, Starks, Clark etc all benefit from being a Steeler. Including Mikey T. For you Leftwich doubters, he plays well for us and in 08 he rivaled our starter.

Leftwich played in the same games as Ben did in 08 vs the Eagles, Skins, Browns and Texans and didn't encounter the same problems as Ben did vs the blitz. In fact in same games in 08 Leftwich rivaled Ben.

vs. Skins- Leftwich 7-10 129 yards 1 TD 145 rating
- Big Ben 5-17 50 yards 1 INT 15.1 rating

vs. Browns Lefty- 7-12 80 yards 78.5 rating 1 Td run
Roethlisberger 9-14 110 yards 1 INT 58.6 rating

vs. Eagles Big Ben 13-25 131 yards 1 INT 50.6 rating
Leftwich 4-7 60 yards 85.4 rating

Steelreal
11-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Texans was 07 after Ben lit it up!!

Steelreal
11-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Not trying to say Lefty is better than Ben just trying to build morale guys. Remember this from Lefty to Wallace?

Video of Leftwich to Wallace in Pre Season game. Perfect pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d819ec37d/Can-t-Miss-Ben-who

Nice Breakdown

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/08/birds-eye-view-breakdown-of-the-leftwich-to-wallace-touchdown/

flippy
11-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Video of Leftwich to Wallace in Pre Season game. Perfect pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d819ec37d/Can-t-Miss-Ben-who

And a perfect catch with the body.

Steelreal
11-17-2012, 09:52 AM
body, hands, doesnt matter. SIX!!

fordfixer
11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
body, hands, doesnt matter. SIX!!
Welcome to the Planet:tt1

NJ-STEELER
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Yep,

You missed the part where I said we would have a losing season because Ben would get injured. With Ben: Winner. Without Ben:Losers.

you had him missing 1 to 3 games. im assuming you had 3 losses for the games he missed plus 6 more when he was healthy (along with troy being healthy)

we were 6-3 with a healthy ben and troy missing most of the season. I'd say you were off on your overall assessment of the team by a few games

NJ-STEELER
11-17-2012, 05:35 PM
as i side note, gotta love when these new posters come here and say the same things some past trolls have.

do they actually think they're fooling us...lol

BigRob
11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
as i side note, gotta love when these new posters come here and say the same things some past trolls have.

do they actually think they're fooling us...lol

Are you talking about me? I've been here a loooong time and far from a Troll azzmunch.

BigRob
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/report-byron-leftwich-has-two-fractured-ribs/

The Steelers were fearful that quarterback Byron Leftwich (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1478/byron-leftwich) would miss some time (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/report-steelers-concerned-leftwich-could-be-out-a-while/) as a result of the injuries he picked up against the Ravens on Sunday night.
We’ll have to wait and see how long he’s out, but it isn’t looking good for this week. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Leftwich has two fractured ribs (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/270623285228732416) and is “unlikely” to start against the Browns. PFT has also been told that Leftwich has a separate shoulder injury that will impact his chances of playing in Week 12.
With Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger) also considered unlikely to play at this point, the Steelers would have to turn to Charlie Batch (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/655/charlie-batch) or sign someone off the street to start for them. The latter option seems farfetched until you remember Mike Tomlin stuck with a clearly injured Leftwich instead of turning to Batch on Sunday night. That doesn’t indicate great confidence in Batch, but there might not be another option available for Pittsburgh.
Batch last played in Week 16 of last season when he started and beat the Rams 27-0.

Two fractured ribs. This guy is made of glass. It all depends on the health of Ben, as stated at the beginning of the year. Here's to hoping they prove me wrong. :cool:

NJ-STEELER
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Are you talking about me? I've been here a loooong time and far from a Troll azzmunch.

no, not you

sorry, thought it was obvious who i was talking about

BigRob
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
no, not you

sorry, thought it was obvious who i was talking about

Sorry for calling you an azzmunch. I'm a little surly today. I don't like the fact that we are sitting where we are with no Big Ben. We would have blown those a-holes out last night with Ben.

Just being realistic that unless Ben comes back with a vengeance, we are screwed.

NJ-STEELER
11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
no problem

i think we're all a little like that today

but at least we're here after a win or a loss discussing the game. and not making up new names to try and bash a particular player on the team like some trolls seem to do everytime we lose

BigRob
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Well I was called crazy for predicting a down season for the Steelers. I was also called negative and was dismissed pretty quickly.

However. I was pretty darn close with my prediction. Should I get consideration for the Nostradamus award?

I take no pleasure in it, but I should

hawaiiansteel
01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Well I was called crazy for predicting a down season for the Steelers. I was also called negative and was dismissed pretty quickly.

However. I was pretty darn close with my prediction. Should I get consideration for the Nostradamus award?

sorry, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...:D

BigRob
01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
sorry, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...:D

True, True.

papillon
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM

A stopped clock is correct twice a day (provided it isn't set to military time of course). :p :Cheers

Just having some fun, I'm not sure what you saw to think that, but that's some darn good prognosticating and the part about Ben missing 1-3 games is just eerie.

Pappy

BigRob
01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
A stopped clock is correct twice a day (provided it isn't set to military time of course). :p :Cheers

Just having some fun, I'm not sure what you saw to think that, but that's some darn good prognosticating and the part about Ben missing 1-3 games is just eerie.

Pappy

Nothing specifically that I saw, just plain ole bad feeling about the season. I wish I had been more wrong.

Ghost
01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Funny to read this whole post start to finish now. Couple of guys were real d!cks to big rob (needlessly), a poster who's been here a long time and is a solid contributor to the board. Sucks that a different opinion causes such a pig pile.