PDA

View Full Version : First Cuts Include Hrapmann

phillyesq
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Here is a link to the article:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/no-real-surprises-as-steelers-release-players/article_92ae2ca4-f051-11e1-a712-001a4bcf6878.html#.UDuDKvSty7E.twitter

The full list is:

Ryan Baker, LB
Mortty Ivy, LB (waived injured)
Kade Weston, DT
Mike Blanc, DT
Walter McFadden, CB
Andre Freeman, CB
Daniel Hrapmann, K
Kyle Jolly, OT
Matt Katula, LS
Jamie McCoy, TE/FB
Justin Peelle, TE
Myron Rolle, S
Paul Cox, WR
Juamorris Stewart, WR
Jimmy Young, WR

Keyplay1
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, it sort of simplified things. But did it?

I thought cutting those 3 DB's S Rolle, CB McFadden CB Freeman only left 10 but upon further review I see there are 12. Hmm! 2 more must go. Go gettum!

Ike, Keenan, Troy, Clark?, Cortez, Josh, Terrence, Robert, Will, Curtis, Damon, Ryan M.-----If 10 are kept again, 2 must go. Who?

Will it be 2 of the 4 newest guys? CB Josh Victorian, CB Terrence Frederickson, S Robert Golden, 1yr guy S Damon Cromartie Smith?

Not likely, I have seen R. Golden on every final 53. J. Victorian is on a lot also.

Will it be one of the starters? Can both Golden and DCM take Clark's place. Doubtful Ryan Clark has started all 3 pre games.

That leaves. C. Allen, Will Allen, R. Mundy, and C. Brown.

Many think C. Allen is now our best all round DB. Not him!
Ryan Mundy almost won a starting job last year. Not him!
Will Allen is usually not rated very high but hangs on. Not him!
C. Brown has done nothing, but was a pretty high draft pick and at least can tackle pretty good. Probably not him!

My guess is CB Terrence Frederick and back to the PS for DMS.

My final 10 secondary is the rest obviously. However, there is one CONDITION. In the event DMS is kept since Ryan Clark will probably not play in Denver then, if he is sent down to the PS after wk 1 game and Victorian is brought up, I will claim 100% accuracy in this category. :o

SteelBucks
08-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I was a little surprised they cut Hrapmann this early. What's the harm in letting him kick another game? The kid was perfect in the preseason.

phillyesq
08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I was a little surprised they cut Hrapmann this early. What's the harm in letting him kick another game? The kid was perfect in the preseason.

I wonder if this is a case where they have seen enough to know what he can do. They can keep Suisham (who was fine as well this preseason) on a relatively short leash, and if he doesn't get the job done early, Hrapmann will likely still be available, as will vets like Rackers, etc.

flippy
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I have a feeling cutting Hrapmann might be the reason we no longer have our old ST coach. Something tells me that's the personal difference. Sushi drives me nuts. And Tomlin seems to like to march him out to take shots on long FGs that everyone but Tomlin seems to know is going to be a miss.

SteelBucks
08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I wonder if this is a case where they have seen enough to know what he can do. They can keep Suisham (who was fine as well this preseason) on a relatively short leash, and if he doesn't get the job done early, Hrapmann will likely still be available, as will vets like Rackers, etc.

I never understood why Tomlin likes Suisham so much. Anything outside of 40 yards is testing his range and makes me nervous. You're right though, Hrapmann should be available later if needed.

Discipline of Steel
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Meanwhile, doesnt the cutting of McCoy increase the likelihood that Will Johnson will make the roster as a true fullback??? !!!!!!!!!

DukieBoy
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
They cut the Hrap man and will bring in another (better) kicker in a bit over a week.
Or not.

fordfixer
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
They cut the Hrap man and will bring in another (better) kicker in a bit over a week.
Or not.
I agree with Dukie or not

DukieBoy
08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I agree with Dukie or not

Ambivalence seems superior than no hope at all, in this case at least.
(Is there a better kicker out there to be cut?)

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Only One Can Celebrate

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Aug 27, 2012

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/109/1099531.jpg

Greg Warren

The Steelers cut 15 players Monday morning, but only one remaining player can celebrate.

PITTSBURGH – After the Steelers cut 15 players Monday morning, three positions were left with only one man standing.

* But Will Johnson wasn’t about to accept congratulations as the new fullback. After all, he’s a rookie in his first NFL camp.

* And Shaun Suisham wasn’t about to light up a cigar. After all, he knows quality kickers such as Josh Brown and Neil Rackers are floating around the waiver wire at this time.

* But, Greg Warren could take a bow. He’ll be the team’s long-snapper for the eighth consecutive season.

There’s little chance the Steelers will disrupt that streak by bringing in another long-snapper this week after they cut quality veteran Matt Katula yesterday.

“I think they wanted to see what Matt could do, but I think they also seemed pretty satisfied with what I’ve been able to do for them so far,” said Warren. “I never felt a huge burden of competition from the standpoint of the organization, but I always feel the urgency of knowing my job can be passed along at any point.”

Warren said he’s been told in the past when the front office was looking to replace him. But each time he fended off the competition. This time Warren felt that Katula was signed to keep Warren on edge. He said the ploy worked.

“I would say I’ve had one of the more consistent and accurate training camps thus far,” Warren said. “If that was what they tried to do, it worked. That definitely helped me focus and definitely helped me stay on point.”

Warren also believes there’s a desire to maintain some stability after the sudden change in special teams coordinators last week, when former assistant Amos Jones was promoted over the deposed Al Everest.

“I was surprised,” Warren said. “But at the same time I’ve been here a while and know the system. Amos has been here a while; knows the system. We have a lot of veteran guys, so from the standpoint of having to move on I think the transition is going to be as easy as a transition could be, because we have a lot of leaders, because the system’s been in place. Al was able to teach me a lot of great things. He wishes us the best and we wish him the best.”

Along with Katula, those cut by the Steelers yesterday were: LBers Ryan Baker and Mortty Ivy; DEs Mike Blanc and Kade Weston; DBs Andre Freeman, Walter McFadden and Myron Rolle; WRs Paul Cox, Juamorris Stewart and Jimmy Young; TEs Jamie McCoy and Justin Peelle; OT Kyle Jolly; and PK Daniel Hrapmann.

http://burgh.us/fth