PDA

View Full Version : 1 Good, 1 Bad, and 1 Ugly

flippy
08-25-2012, 10:33 PM
What are your good, bad, and ugly?

1. Good - Big Ben's 99 yard drive at the end of the 1st half.

2. Bad - Curtis Brown. And this guy was supposed to have potential.

3. Ugly - Gilby's play (which I think may have gotten DD in trouble with his knee). Credit to Buffalo's DLine which is great.

DukieBoy
08-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Good - the drive, Ben being Ben
Bad - Decastro's injury
Ugly - Gilbert's lazy play

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
3. Ugly - Gilby's play (which I think may have gotten DD in trouble with his knee). Credit to Buffalo's DLine which is great.

this is the second Steeler that Gilbert injured by getting pushed backwards, he's the one who took out David Johnson too...

DukieBoy
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
this is the second Steeler that Gilbert injured by getting pushed backwards, he's the one who took out David Johnson too...

Well, if he gets one-per-game, we'll be playing Kemo on our line by midseason.

Discipline of Steel
08-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I didnt see the game. Was Brown that awful? Sometime we are over-critical of the defenders, I mean they only scored 7.

Chucktownsteeler
08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Curtis Brown has been awful all preseason. See Phily game.

grotonsteel
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Disappointed with Gilbert's play. I thought he could turn out to be special. I think he is lazy and he has slacked in the offseason.

Also disappointed with Curtis Brown. His 10 yard cushion are not helping it.

flippy
08-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Brown was out of position and a step late/slow in coverage. Plus he missed a couple tackles. It almost looks like he's conceded that Ike, Allen, and Lewis are the top 3 CBs and he's given up competing.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
by Ed Bouchette

Sunday Aug. 26, 2012

--- Safety Robert Golden had a good training camp and he did not hurt himself with that 47-yard interception in the second half. An undrafted rookie from Arizona, Golden is making a hard pitch for that 53-man roster and the most vulnerable veteran to his attempt would seem to be Will Allen.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117769-ed-leftwich-as-good-as-no-2-gets

NorthCoast
08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
by Ed Bouchette

Sunday Aug. 26, 2012

--- Safety Robert Golden had a good training camp and he did not hurt himself with that 47-yard interception in the second half. An undrafted rookie from Arizona, Golden is making a hard pitch for that 53-man roster and the most vulnerable veteran to his attempt would seem to be Will Allen.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117769-ed-leftwich-as-good-as-no-2-gets

Golden needs to make the roster. Allen is just OK, but Golden is showing flashes of being above average. He may make a few mistakes, but with experience I think he could be reliable asset in case of injury. Troy scares me,...still flies around like he is 24 yrs old but one hit the wrong way and he could be sitting a long time.

Captain Lemming
08-26-2012, 08:57 PM
showing flashes of being above average

I just had to laugh.
Never saw that line before.

His play never ceases to ama.., no.... be more than adequate.

His talent is through the roo..., no......top of a high coffee table

The sk....no... height of a really tall dude is the limit for this kid

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Steelers Roster Review: Winners Include Trai Essex, Mike Adams, Danny Hrapmann and Drew Butler

by Neal Coolong on Aug 26, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5177324/20120825_lbm_ah3_326_extra_large.jpg

As sad as this is to admit, it appears the biggest winner in the Steelers' 38-7 preseason victory over Buffalo Saturday is OL Trai Essex.

When RG David DeCastro went down with what looks like at least a half-season-ending injury, Essex's odds of making the 53-man roster went from long to not-so-long.

Depending on the severity of DeCastro's injury, it appears Ramon Foster will gain the starting right guard position. Doug Legursky likely had a roster spot anyway, but Essex's versatility - read: ability to play multiple positions - is a bigger benefit to the team now.

Essex hasn't looked outstanding this preseason, and he's not a lock for the roster, but it looked like he was on his way out before DeCastro went down.

Another winner was S Robert Golden, who very well may have earned a roster spot with his second preseason interception Saturday. He picked off Bills QB Vince Young in the fourth quarter, setting up a Derrick Williams touchdown reception from QB Byron Leftwich.

Add Leftwich to this list, who threw a second touchdown pass, a perfectly led dart to a streaking Antonio Brown in stride in the end zone. He proved again, if he has the time to load up that cannon of his, he'll fire it impressively.

Let's not forget K Danny Hrapmann, who hit another 40-yard field goal in the fourth quarter. He's 6-for-6 now, and has to be on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's radar now. The pressure is on K Shaun Suisham, who, to his credit, has also been perfect this preseason. While it's still highly unlikely the Steelers release Suisham in favor of Hrapmann, there's little doubt Suisham's leash is going to be a lot shorter early in the season.

Oh, and P Drew Butler has a 48.2 yard average so far in the preseason. Unless the ball is somehow diluted for preseason games, punting and kicking are clearly the two actions in a football game that are not watered down due to where the game is on the schedule.

Oft-savaged rookie OT Mike Adams finally looked like the level of player the Steelers expected to get in the second round of this past April's draft. Adams played well top to bottom, and looked vastly more comfortable than he had in his previous two games. He was without question the most improved player from Preseason Games 2 to 3.

Losing out Saturday was third-round rookie Sean Spence, who had Bills RB Fred Jackson dead-to-rights in the hole on Buffalo's lone touchdown, only to stand flat-footed as Jackson cut back inside for the score. It appeared Spence was anticipating Jackson to run outside, and Spence hugged some air as Jackson scooted past him.

Certainly not a death sentence, but that play has to be made.

Some will want to blame RT Marcus Gilbert for it looking like he fell backward on DeCastro, causing his injury. Gilbert also fell on TE David Johnson, who also tore his ACL and is lost for the year. Again, bad luck, let's just hope Gilbert can remain on his feet for the rest of the season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/26/3269190/steelers-roster-preseason-buffalo-winners-losers-depth-chart#storyjump