JDSteeler
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Acl.... :(

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
sick to my stomach.

Shoe
08-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Season = over. It's sad to say it, but really hard to see us seriously contending with the offensive line as currently constituted.
Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

Starks (on a bad knee + a year older), Colon (an upgrade over Kemo), Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
David DeCastro carted off early for the Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on August 25, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x207-e1345937169121.jpg?w=250

The Steelers’ second drive of their game against the Bills was a costly one.

Running back Isaac Redman and right guard David DeCastro needed medical attention after consecutive plays in the first quarter at Buffalo. It looks like DeCastro has suffered the more serious injury.

DeCastro was locked up on Marcell Dareus during a pass attempt and Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert fell across the back of his right leg. He was able to stand on one foot, but put no pressure on the right foot before being carted off to the locker room. Ramon Foster, who has already played several positions in the preseason, will take over for the first-round pick.

Redman appeared to injure his neck the play before DeCastro went down. He was on all fours on the field for a bit before walking to the sideline, where Redman looked to be okay as the medical staff moved on to work on DeCastro.

UPDATE: Redman returned to the game on the next Steelers possession. The Steelers say he had a stinger and confirmed that DeCastro will not return with what they’re calling a right knee injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/25/david-decastro-isaac-redman-out-early-for-the-steelers/

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Ummm, where is this info. coming from? I'm watching the game on TV- Foster started the game and I've not seen Decastro go in at all. Could the injury have happened before the game??? This is wierd info..

Also, Foster is playing well.. Announcers are saying- no drop off at all in OG play.

Media on here is talking about the dink and dunk offense Haley seems to have implemented... Hoping that with the return of Wallace this will change....

OK- further info... DeCastro must have went in for 1 series- (while I was eating pizza with then family) happened that quick.... Still waiting for an update---

This must have happened right away then... Foster was even listed on the tv as the startin RG..... wierd...

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 07:55 PM
DeCastro started the game, Foster went in for him after DeCastro was carted off the field with a right knee injury.

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Crazy... Like I was saying... They even had Foster listed as the starting RG on TV....oh well...I'll keep watching for further info...

They even had 2 3 and outs on their 1st 2 possessions.....

Redman is playing....

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
it happened on the Steelers' second drive of the game, hope he's going to be okay...

Shoe
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
It's especially tough losing him right now. If it is to happen... at least you'd wish that the rookie got himself a taste of real NFL football... and that he was able to feel a part of this 2012 season.

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
OK- that's when I went upstairs from the man cave for pizza. It was a 3 and out.. Foster did start the game then.. I didn't think I was going nuts..... They must have decided to rotate the 2 OG's tonight. I have a feeling Foster has been having such a good camp that he was really pushing DeCastro for the job....

pittpete
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/8/25/3268505/david-decastro-injury-steelers

Theres a vid of the play...
Doesnt look so bad,hope its not..
BTEW watch Gilbert getting blown the F up by Mario Williams

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Mario blows up a lot of OL...

feltdizz
08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Season = over. It's sad to say it, but really hard to see us seriously contending with the offensive line as currently constituted.
Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

Starks (on a bad knee + a year older), Colon (an upgrade over Kemo), Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert

season over? Uh... I don't think so.

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 08:18 PM
People over react way too much on here. Still preseason..

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Steelers’ DeCastro carted off with injury

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Saturday, August 25, 2012

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The Steelers were hit with injuries in the first half Saturday against Buffalo, as right guard David DeCastro, the team’s No. 1 draft pick, starting running back Isaac Redman and defensive end Brett Keisel left in the first quarter.

DeCastro’s knee was bent sideways on a third-and-8 from the Steelers’ 6-yard line in which Ben Roethlisberger threw incomplete from a shotgun formation. DeCastro was in obvious pain, grimacing while being treated by the team’s medical staff.

It was announced that DeCastro, replaced by Ramon Foster, would not return.

Redman was briefly sidelined after being diagnosed with a shoulder injury. He returned midway through the opening period and ripped off an 18-yard gain that was wiped out by a holding penalty. Redman missed last weekend’s preseason game against Indianapolis with a hip injury.

Keisel injured his left ankle and did not return in the first half.

NOT SO SPECIAL

Dismissing special teams coordinator Al Everest did little to inspire the Steelers’ punt and kickoff units.

Buffalo’s Leodis McKelvin had 18- and 10-yard punt returns to help the Bills take a 7-0 lead.

The punt coverage team appeared to rebound, as Curtis Brown and Ryan Mundy downed the ball at the Buffalo 1 with 6:34 left in the first quarter, but the play was reversed when Buffalo challenged the call.

Rookie Chris Rainey couldn’t generate much and was dumped for a 1-yard loss on a punt return.

HOOD IMPRESSES

Defensive end Ziggy Hood dominated the trenches in the first half.

The four-year veteran was in on four tackles, including one solo, in the first half. Hood also recovered a fumble caused by linebacker Lawrence Timmons at the Buffalo 18, tipped a pass and added a quarterback hit.

OFFENSIVE FRUSTRATIONS

The Steelers didn’t help themselves in a lackluster first quarter.

Their offensive execution was poor, as they failed to pick up a first down on their first two possessions. Also, Rainey and receiver Antonio Brown dropped passes with an open field ahead of them.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was further frustrated when receiver Emmanuel Sanders dropped a perfectly thrown pass on a deep sideline route with cornerback Aaron Williams trailing by two strides.

MISSED TURNOVER CHANCES

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau wasn’t pleased as the Bills ran the ball successfully during a scoring drive.

A silver lining was watching his linebackers combine to create an opportunity for a turnover.

Timmons hit quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose pass was tipped by Larry Foote, but LaMarr Woodley dropped the interception. Woodley dropped another errant throw in the second quarter.

LOCAL BILLS

Scott McKillop, a former Pitt standout, is among several linebackers Bills coach Chan Gailey hopes will develop before the team opens the regular season.

McKillop, a Kiski Area graduate, spent the 2009 season in San Francisco. He had 10 tackles in the first two preseason games and was expected to a get a long look from Bills defensive coordinator and former Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt.

Dorin Dickerson, a former All-Big East tight end at Pitt, is fighting for a roster spot with the Bills. The West Allegheny product doubles as an H-back in hopes of becoming one of the lead blockers for tailbacks Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

Another former Panther, running back Zach Brown, is trying to find a spot as a returner.

ODDS AND ENDS

The officiating crew had to sort out a couple of disputed calls but only tossed two flags in the first half, both against the Steelers. … The Steelers rushed for 31 yards and netted 72 total yards in the first half.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2453644-85/steelers-bills-half-buffalo-decastro-defensive-dropped-former-punt-quarter

pfelix73
08-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Tomlin said at the half that Keisel has a mild high ankle sprain. Should be ready to go for Denver game....

flippy
08-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I was worried about Max's knee on this turf. Shoulda been worried about DD's instead.

spyboots
08-25-2012, 10:35 PM
After game, Tomlin said DD's knee is potentially "severe." :-(

flippy
08-25-2012, 10:36 PM
After game, Tomlin said DD's knee is potentially "severe." :-(

I thought MCL the way it happened. But it could also be an ACL. It didn't look good at all.

DukieBoy
08-25-2012, 10:55 PM
" DeCastro was locked up on Marcell Dareus during a pass attempt and Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert fell across the back of his right leg."

I'd like to see a replay of when DD was injured. Gilbert looked sluggish, slow, disinterested and lazy on many plays, and on that play I believe he was simply pushed back on off his feet by a bullrush DL.

DukieBoy
08-25-2012, 10:58 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/8/25/3268505/david-decastro-injury-steelers

Theres a vid of the play...
Doesnt look so bad,hope its not..
BTEW watch Gilbert getting blown the F up by Mario Williams

​I'd like to see this from another angle, if anyone finds another vid.

SteelBucks
08-25-2012, 11:01 PM
This is why I HATE preseason football. A glorified scrimmage takes out our starting RG until next year's camp. So much for entering the season healthy.....

DukieBoy
08-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Ben was interviewed on NFL net and said to the effect that field turf had a role in this injury, and he wished they would eliminate field turf.

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac:

Mike Tomlin called DeCastro's injury "potentially severe." I'm told it's prob ACL but won't know till tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statu...53262309744641

fordfixer
08-25-2012, 11:31 PM
NFL network just said MCL and ACL?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2012, 11:40 PM
So we spent our first two picks to shore up our OL, but we'll likely get NO help from EITHER of them this season. Chances are the OL will suck even worse than last year.

We were all so excited about the DeCastro pick. Maybe we should have taken Hightower after all.

DukieBoy
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
The line will be made better by the absence of Kemo and the move to guard of Colon (as long as he stays healthy). Foster is at least serviceable. Pouncey needs to jack up Gilbert intensely and often so that he is not a slouch and a slacker, or not a danger to his own teammates. But no room for any more injuries, yet more injuries can be expected, so it's a narrower margin.

They faced a top-shelf DL tonight.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM
NFL network just said MCL and ACL?

you can watch the video of the play DeCastro got hurt on here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

Steelers' David DeCastro injures ACL, MCL vs. Bills

By Marc Sessler
Published: Aug. 25, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie guard David DeCastro suffered injuries to his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in Saturday night's preseason game and will be out awhile, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL.com and NFL Network.

DeCastro was carted off the field with what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin later called a "potentially severe" right knee injury during the first quarter of a 38-7 victory over the Buffalo Bills.

DeCastro, the Steelers' first-round draft pick, didn't return to the game, and Tomlin said afterward that the rookie would undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the injury.

On the Steelers' second drive of the game, DeCastro was tangled up with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus on a pass play when Pittsburgh tackle Marcus Gilbert landed on the back of DeCastro's right leg.

Trainers helped DeCastro to one foot before he was carted off the Ralph Wilson Stadium FieldTurf, which quarterback Ben Roethlisberger blamed for the rookie's injury.

"Well I just saw him, (and his) spirits are high," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "We don't obviously know -- well, I don't know what the official word is. This is a great field, but it's FieldTurf, and it's just killing guys because they can't get their feet out of the ground, and it's just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf."

Tomlin and the Steelers used April's draft to rebuild an offensive line that caused problems for Roethlisberger last season. After selecting DeCastro out of Stanford with the No. 24 overall draft pick, the team used its second-round choice on offensive tackle Mike Adams from Ohio State. Both have gotten off to a slow start this preseason.

UPDATE: Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel also left the game with what Tomlin described afterward as a mild high ankle sprain.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

Jigawatts
08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
I guess the best we can hope for is that the injuries are sprains and not tears.

BURGH86STEEL
08-26-2012, 07:26 AM
season over? Uh... I don't think so.

Even after years of watching football some folks never learn.

bayz101
08-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. DeCastro is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury. If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of this season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the full season. http://say.ly/tKD42Wg

----------------------------------------------------------------

MCL is NO joke, but I sure am hoping that's what it is right now. If you come back too early from an MCL injury, it can be a lingering season-long injury. Just look a Troy a couple years back.

SteelCrazy
08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
David DeCastro has torn MCL

Updated: August 26, 2012, 9:30 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN
Email
Print

Pittsburgh Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, a high-level team source said Sunday morning.

DeCastro, a right guard, is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury.

If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of the 2012 season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the entire season.

The Steelers are hopeful that because doctors did not detect a torn ACL on Saturday night, the MRI will reveal the same -- but they anxiously are awaiting the results.

DeCastro was hurt while pass blocking as Pittsburgh faced third-and-8 at its 6-yard line on its second possession in Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. DeCastro's right leg twisted beneath him after being bowled over by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

DeCastro, the 24th overall selection out of Stanford who started Saturday's game over Ramon Foster, lay in the end zone for a few minutes as trainers worked on his leg. He briefly got up on his own, but was unable to put any weight on his right leg. He took a few hops before trainers stopped him and called for a cart.

Flasteel
08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. DeCastro is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury. If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of this season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the full season. http://say.ly/tKD42Wg

----------------------------------------------------------------

MCL is NO joke, but I sure am hoping that's what it is right now. If you come back too early from an MCL injury, it can be a lingering season-long injury. Just look a Troy a couple years back.

I agree 100% and I'm holding out hope that it's "only" an MCL. Put him on the PUP and have him back for the stretch run. Thanks for posting the tweet...I've been looking for some type of word on this since it happened.

flippy
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I thought it was just an MCL the way it got hit from the outside. I would have thought his foot would have needed to have been planted and twisted to get the ACL and that didn't seem to be the case. But I haven't seen the replay.

bayz101
08-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I agree 100% and I'm holding out hope that it's "only" an MCL. Put him on the PUP and have him back for the stretch run. Thanks for posting the tweet...I've been looking for some type of word on this since it happened.

You can watch the play in which he was injured on here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

You can't really see much, though.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
an MCL tear may heal in anywhere from 4-8 weeks. With the high class medical treatment and rehab a professional football players receives, I would hope that it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Certainly I expect to see him wearing a knee orthosis the rest of the season and possibly into next year...basically the metal uprights on the inside and outside of the brace will give the knee the sideways stability lost from the ligament injury. It is much easier to control and stabilize that motion than it is the front-back motion from an ACL tear. There is a fairly definitive and easy to conduct test for ACL/PCL injuries, so if there was a complete tear of the ACL then the team doctors should have been able to identify it without the MRI.

If this is just an MCL injury then Decastro and the Steelers got majorly lucky.

steelblood
08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
an MCL tear may heal in anywhere from 4-8 weeks. With the high class medical treatment and rehab a professional football players receives, I would hope that it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Certainly I expect to see him wearing a knee orthosis the rest of the season and possibly into next year...basically the metal uprights on the inside and outside of the brace will give the knee the sideways stability lost from the ligament injury. It is much easier to control and stabilize that motion than it is the front-back motion from an ACL tear. There is a fairly definitive and easy to conduct test for ACL/PCL injuries, so if there was a complete tear of the ACL then the team doctors should have been able to identify it without the MRI.

If this is just an MCL injury then Decastro and the Steelers got majorly lucky.

I hope you are right and wonder if the D stands for doctor.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I hope you are right and wonder if the D stands for doctor.

hahaha no it doesn't...I am an orthotist though, so I've got some insight into these things that hopefully wont be proven wrong here in the near future.

SidSmythe
08-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I was at the game...saw it on the big screen.

I did my 1st 2 yrs in college as an athletic trainer. I'm about 90% right on injuries projections merely from observation.

From what I saw:
- Looking at the direction from where he took the hit....Not good on the MCL but only a slight chance of an ACL tear.
- unlike a lot of ligaments, the ACL has a lot of blood flow to it. Initial swelling is present and a trainer would have NEVER let him stand up if he saw the swelling. He would have been lifted onto the CART.
- He was in a lot of Pain, something more common from an MCL tear...but that wouldn't negate the fact that the ACL was torn too.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Roethlisberger blames FieldTurf for DeCastro’s injury

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger blames the surface at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo for the injury to his teammate, David DeCastro.

DeCastro, the guard the Steelers selected in the first round of this year’s draft, suffered what the Steelers fear is a severe knee injury against the Bills. And Roethlisberger said afterward that he doesn’t think DeCastro would have suffered that injury on a grass field.

“It’s just FieldTurf — this is a great field, but FieldTurf is just killing guys because they can’t get their feet out of the ground,” Roethlisberger said on NFL Network after the game. “It’s just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf.”

Although FieldTurf is almost universally considered a big improvement over the old-school AstroTurf, which was basically like playing on fuzzy green concrete, players are mixed about whether FieldTurf is as good as grass. Some players, like Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, have said grass should be ripped out and replaced with FieldTurf. Others, like former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins, have said they dislike FieldTurf so much that they would only play for a team that had grass.

Roethlisberger is strongly in the anti-FieldTurf camp. After Saturday night’s injury, DeCastro may be, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/roethlisberger-blames-fieldturf-for-decastros-injury/

birtikidis
08-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Espn reported torn mcl and damage to the patella and a dislocated knee cap. Nothing to the acl though. No timetable

birtikidis
08-26-2012, 01:17 PM
That was after the MRI

pfelix73
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
NFL Network has on the ticker that both ACL and MCL are torn.. Looks like he's done for the year....

SidSmythe
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
ESPN says MCL Torn, ACL is FINE

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304333/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-guard-david-decastro-torn-mcl-acl-intact

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Espn reported torn mcl and damage to the patella and a dislocated knee cap. Nothing to the acl though. No timetable

David DeCastro tears MCL; ACL OK

Updated: August 26, 2012
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Pittsburgh Steelers right guard David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources.

Steelers' Shuffling Line

David DeCastro's injury is a blow to the Steelers, who had hoped to stabilize their offensive line after using the most combinations of linemen in the NFL last season.

Different Starters

Steelers 25 9
Patriots 20 10
Seahawks 20 8

The team is unsure if the 2012 first-round draft pick will be able to return this season after receiving the results of his MRI on Sunday.

DeCastro was hurt while pass blocking as Pittsburgh faced third-and-8 at its 6-yard line on its second possession in Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. DeCastro's right leg twisted beneath him after being bowled over by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

DeCastro, the 24th overall selection out of Stanford who started Saturday's game over Ramon Foster, lay in the end zone for a few minutes as trainers worked on his leg. He briefly got up on his own, but was unable to put any weight on his right leg. He took a few hops before trainers stopped him and called for a cart.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304333/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-guard-david-decastro-torn-mcl-acl-intact

pfelix73
08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
They have it on Breaking News on NFL Network that says he's done for the year........

Says MRI revealed both tears... I guess Adam is wrong on this one....Like its not the 1st time..

birtikidis
08-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Nfl network is wrong a lot too. Didn't they hire sapp?

pfelix73
08-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Haha. True.. Looks like they pulled down the story on their website until they 'verify' it....

D Rock
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
ESPN says MCL Torn, ACL is FINE

There is really no telling how long the recovery process is from that Espn report, although they said just patella tendon damage and didn't mention a full tear. The patella is the knee cap. It is basically a floating bone overtop of the knee joint and is connected to the quad muscles and the tibia (shin bone) by tendons on both ends. It typically dislocates to the outside and can be very painful. There are things that can be added on to the mcl brace to help hold it in place, but the recovery time from that is really going to all be based on how severe the damage was.

SteelBucks
08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
David DeCastro tears MCL; ACL OK

Updated: August 26, 2012
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Pittsburgh Steelers right guard David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources.

Steelers' Shuffling Line

David DeCastro's injury is a blow to the Steelers, who had hoped to stabilize their offensive line after using the most combinations of linemen in the NFL last season.

Different Starters

Steelers 25 9
Patriots 20 10
Seahawks 20 8

The team is unsure if the 2012 first-round draft pick will be able to return this season after receiving the results of his MRI on Sunday.

Even if the ACL is intact, that's a lot of damage to the knee. It'll be interesting to see what the Steelers do.....IR or hold a roster spot to see how he recovers. I'm not sure how much a rookie can contribute if he misses most of the season, so I'd be tempted to place him on IR and let him heal.

OT - can someone fix the time stamp for the posts? It's not 6:00 pm. (Sorry, I'm in a bad mood, so I'm going to nitpick everything today. :evil:)

pfelix73
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) rookie guard David DeCastro (http://www.planetsteelers.com/player/daviddecastro/2533043/profile) has torn his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his right knee, a source with knowledge of his condition confirmed Sunday.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2012/08/07/0ap2000000047112.jpg (http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;260371519;84510053;z;pc=[TPAS_ID])

An MRI revealed that DeCastro, the Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)' first-round draft pick, suffered the season-ending injury (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills) on the team's second drive of the game against Buffalo Bills (http://www.planetsteelers.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) in Saturday's 38-7 victory (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012082552/2012/PRE3/steelers@bills).

Ian Rapoport..NFL Network..

Ghost
08-26-2012, 02:11 PM
DAMN..just DAMN....

flippy
08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm still waiting to hear the final confirmation. I think I remember one of the replays on the Buffalo broadcast showing him land on the outside, but his foot wasn't caught in the turf. It looked like it would be a really hard way to tear and ACL. If he did, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe it's a small tear that could heal?

SteelBucks
08-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Damn. Was hoping for some good news. :HeadBanger

Looks like my war on preseason games will continue....

bayz101
08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, possibly ACL

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro from injury as his rookie season possibly came to an end.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon, but his ACL was intact. A conflicting report however by NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport claims that DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL, with no mention of his knee-cap or damage to his Patellar tendon.

The Steelers selected DeCastro in the first round of the 2012 draft to help shore up an offensive line that has struggled in recent years. DeCastro, who played guard at Stanford, was projected to go much higher in the draft but fell to the Steelers in the 24th spot.

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

----------------------------------------------------------

Conflicting reports, guys.

pfelix73
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
No matter how you slice it, he's done for the season.. In Reality.

Foster will be fine at RG for 2012..No choice in the matter now. We'll be fine as long as Colon doesn't go down.. Steelers were smart to sign Starks when they did..

bayz101
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, ACL fine

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro from injury as his rookie season possibly came to an end.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon, but his ACL is intact. A conflicting report by NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport claimed that DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL, which has since been retracted.

The Steelers selected DeCastro in the first round of the 2012 draft to help shore up an offensive line that has struggled in recent years. DeCastro, who played guard at Stanford, was projected to go much higher in the draft but fell to the Steelers in the 24th spot.

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

-------------------------------------------

Turns out his ACL is fine, as NFL.com has retracted the original report. Good news, but I still see DeCastro sitting out this year.

Flasteel
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Looks like the ACL is fine. We should have him back for both of those Ravens games and the stretch-run to the playoffs, if all goes well.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2281792392/71mrldlmusk3jmi1qn2p_normal.jpeg

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
I was misinformed on David DeCastro's knee. His MCL is torn, but -- I checked back -- he has other knee damage, but not torn ACL

SidSmythe
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
There is really no telling how long the recovery process is from that Espn report, although they said just patella tendon damage and didn't mention a full tear. The patella is the knee cap. It is basically a floating bone overtop of the knee joint and is connected to the quad muscles and the tibia (shin bone) by tendons on both ends. It typically dislocates to the outside and can be very painful. There are things that can be added on to the mcl brace to help hold it in place, but the recovery time from that is really going to all be based on how severe the damage was.

That explains the extreme pain. So that's a wrench in the chain right there. Hard telling. Hope for the best!

Eddie Spaghetti
08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
this could end up being a tough call for the steelers.

do you shut him down and not risk it, banking on decastros long term future or hope to get 4-6 games and a playoff run out of him.

I could see the reasoning behind either side.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 03:22 PM
this could end up being a tough call for the steelers.

do you shut him down and not risk it, banking on decastros long term future or hope to get 4-6 games and a playoff run out of him.

I could see the reasoning behind either side.

I think if the patella tendon damage is minor enough, they keep him on the PUP and chance it.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
I think if the patella tendon damage is minor enough, they keep him on the PUP and chance it.

DeCastro is ineligible for the PUP list since he was healthy when camp started. the Steelers will have to either carry him on the 53-man roster while he rehabs or place him on season-ending IR.

Vindrow
08-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Looks like the ACL is fine. We should have him back for both of those Ravens games and the stretch-run to the playoffs, if all goes well.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2281792392/71mrldlmusk3jmi1qn2p_normal.jpeg

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
I was misinformed on David DeCastro's knee. His MCL is torn, but -- I checked back -- he has other knee damage, but not torn ACL

Depends on the amount of damage done to the patellar tendon.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 03:51 PM
DeCastro is ineligible for the PUP list since he was healthy when camp started. the Steelers will have to either carry him on the 53-man roster while he rehabs or place him on season-ending IR.

welllll....that just sucks. I was thinking you had to be on it to start the regular season.

Shawn
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Well this report doesn't tell us much other than its possible DeCastro might not be out for the season. It all depends on the amount of damage done to the MCL, and the patellar tendon. If its a grade 1 or 2 MCL tear with an incomplete patellar tear and no surgery is needed...then 6 weeks might be enough. But if the patellar tendon is a complete tear that is a bigger deal than the MCL. That would mean surgery and he is out the season. I'm hoping we get some more details soon.

feltdizz
08-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Nfl network is wrong a lot too. Didn't they hire sapp?

That mofo Sapp was smiling like a fat kid in a candy store when they reported the injury to DeCastro during a live look-in on NFLN.

Shoe
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
That mofo Sapp was smiling like a fat kid in a candy store when they reported the injury to DeCastro during a live look-in on NFLN.

Seriously, I noticed that too. And I'm not one of those who usually hates on Sapp.

On a related note, Marcell Dareus is a BEAST. He caved in DeCastro & Pouncey like they were Brian Blankenship & Chuki Okobbi.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Well this report doesn't tell us much other than its possible DeCastro might not be out for the season. It all depends on the amount of damage done to the MCL, and the patellar tendon. If its a grade 1 or 2 MCL tear with an incomplete patellar tear and no surgery is needed...then 6 weeks might be enough. But if the patellar tendon is a complete tear that is a bigger deal than the MCL. That would mean surgery and he is out the season. I'm hoping we get some more details soon.

thanks for the medguy report. I was hoping you'd make your way over here to confirm my initial estimates. I'm optimistic that the lack of outright detail about a serious and season-ending injury from the start means that it isn't quite so serious and they are working on coming up with a timeline so that they can get him back on the field this yera.

Slapstick
08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
There normally has to be a waiting period for the swelling to subside before accurate MRIs can be taken...

I hope it's not the patellar...that's what pretty much ended Greg lloyd's career, IIRC...

Flasteel
08-26-2012, 06:35 PM

I totally forgot about that...good catch HS.

So, I guess the FO and Tomlin will have to decide if it's worth keeping a roster spot open for him. Obviously, we're going to have to wait and see what the official word is on the injury and prognosis, but it would seem he is going to miss months of time at a minimum.

If the initial diagnosis isn't worst case scenario, at what point in the season would a DeCastro return be worth the investment? If it's possible that he could return by December, that would give him 5 regular season games and the playoffs. If that's the case, I say keep a spot open for him and see. They can decide to put him on ice at any point, if the rehab is taking longer than projected.

flippy
08-26-2012, 06:46 PM
I've torn my patellar tendon before. I'd be surprised if his patellar was based on the way he fell. I thought you had to fall directly on your knee cap to hurt the patellar.

Mine didn't require surgery, but it took a good 6+ months until I was completely back to normal. I remember right after I did it, it felt like my knee wanted to buckle. I was ok in a knee brace. Very little pain other than the initial fall. But I remember stair were next to impossible for months. Especially going down stairs. I would think it would make it really hard for an OLineman to bend and have power/leverage with a patellar tear.

A combination of a bad patellar and bad MCL seems like you'd have no stability in the knee whatsoever. It would want to buckle backward and sideways. I think it would take even longer to recover from both together.

I suspect the MCL could be bad, but the patellar probably isn't based on the way he went down.

Shawn
08-26-2012, 07:14 PM
thanks for the medguy report. I was hoping you'd make your way over here to confirm my initial estimates. I'm optimistic that the lack of outright detail about a serious and season-ending injury from the start means that it isn't quite so serious and they are working on coming up with a timeline so that they can get him back on the field this yera.

No problem. It's certainly better news than an ACL.

SteelCrazy
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
David DeCastro Out 3-5 Months, According To Report

Aug 26 7:09p by Steve Uhlmann

The Pittsburgh Steelers received troubling news about their first-round pick from the 2012 NFL Draft, as offensive lineman David DeCastro is going to miss 3-5 months with a torn MCL and a dislocated kneecap, according to Pro Football Talk.

DeCastro suffered the injury during the team's preseason game with the Buffalo Bills Saturday when his right leg buckled backwards while he was engaged with a defender.

This is a huge blow to the team, which was depending on the NFL-ready prospect to help improve the Steelers' offensive line in 2012. The offensive line appears to be suspect yet again after the injury, as Pete Wilmoth of SB Nation Pittsburgh writes:

"Fellow rookie lineman Mike Adams does not appear ready to take on NFL-caliber pass rushers and is battling some (infinitely less severe) knee issues of his own, leaving Max Starks to protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind side at left tackle. Meanwhile, with and without DeCastro last night, the interior line struggled against the Bills' terrific front four."

Wilmoth says that fans should expect to see more quick passes that will keep from Roethlisberger relying on the line to allow plays to develop.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/26/3270289/david-decastro-injury-status-update
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a possible return somewhere between November and January. IR him or keep on the 53?

Shawn
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Personally I would IR him if it's 3-5 months

Eddie Spaghetti
08-26-2012, 08:57 PM
anything longer than 8-10 weeks, I would shut him down.

very unfortunate.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Starkey: Bad night in Buffalo

By Joe Starkey
Published: Sunday, August 26, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=8ynhP ZEQh1kymONDCE51VM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsq6rb3TXD44ki xzHr6q7cSWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers' David DeCastro goes down against the Bills and is carted off in the first quarter at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- As the theory goes, the third exhibition game is the important one. The one that might tell us something about the season ahead.

Except that it rarely does.

The only real objective, as always in the NFL’s silly season, is to avoid injuries to key players — and the big story here was the potentially severe right knee injury sustained by Steelers rookie guard David DeCastro, who was carted off just 3:11 into the game.

Veteran defensive end Brett Keisel left with a possible high-ankle sprain, though he told me afterward, “It’s no problem.”

DeCastro’s injury alone made this the worst 38-7 victory imaginable.

If Bruce Arians were still the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, the masses would be enraged. They’d be ripping him for calling four straight passes to open the game, including a first-down attempt that sent Ben Roethlisberger into his end zone on the Steelers’ second series.

What happened to re-establishing the run?

They’d be screaming that if the Steelers ran the ball from inside their 5 to open that series, then maybe they wouldn’t have been faced with a 3rd-and-8 from their 6, and maybe DeCastro wouldn’t have crumpled to the turf pass-blocking.

But that’s all talk-show fodder for another day.

The halfway-good news for the Steelers and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is that they have a capable replacement in Ramon Foster. Not a great one, mind you, but at least Foster has experience, and winning experience at that.

The Steelers also saw Max Starks once again emerge from mothballs to do a commendable job at left tackle. I have come to believe that Starks will never, ever be replaced. He will be the Steelers’ left tackle when he is 72.

“I had one mental error,” Starks said. “Other than that, everything felt good.”

So even if the third exhibition game usually predicts nothing from a team perspective, it can lend insight on individuals …

• Roethlisberger was at his best in the no-huddle at the end of the first half. For all the talk of a rejuvenated running game, a full-time fullback, smash-mouth football, blah, blah, blah, the Steelers will again live and die with their star quarterback. As it should be. Big Ben was spectacular in directing a 98-yard touchdown drive in just 1:33.

• Loved Ben’s quote: “I just started calling my own plays.” That is his mandate in the no-huddle. You better believe Haley is smart enough to let Ben take over at times.

• Willie Colon did a dead-on Chris Kemoeatu impression on the first series. Kyle Williams, who killed Kemoeatu here two years ago, beat Colon inside and forced Roethlisberger out of the pocket. Mario Williams sacked him.

• Byron Leftwich might be slower than Rod Barajas, but he can be my backup quarterback anytime.

• Antonio Brown stayed in way too long, well into the third quarter. What was Mike Tomlin thinking?

• Lawrence Timmons used that scary closing burst to crush quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick on the Bills’ first series. Timmons — who had seven sacks in 2009 but has only five since — should be utilized more as a pass rusher, especially if James Harrison misses time.

• A toned-up Ziggy Hood looks like a difference-maker. He and Cameron Heyward traded big hits on the quarterback. A young, frisky defensive line could be in the making.

• Isaac Redman was stuffed on a third-and-1, but he scored — mostly on account of his own willpower — on a third-and-goal from the 2. That play, incidentally, saw the Steelers line up with no fewer than four tight ends. Only Mark Bruener was not utilized.

• I noticed Chris Carter twice in the first half — once when he lucked into a sack after Fitzpatrick was flushed, once when he beat running back Fred Jackson’s block to get a hit on Fitzpatrick. Otherwise, rookie tackle Cordy Glenn owned him.

• The special teams, as Tomlin might put it, were “below the line” in the first game without coach Al Everest.

Not that it means much. The third exhibition game rarely does — except when a team sustains a major injury.

Then it’s always a loss.

http://triblive.com/sports/2453647-74/starkey-joe-steelers-game-third-ben-decastro-injury-quarterback-series

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Can't see #66 contributing at the end of the season ... he'd be pretty much the rawest of rookies, and if we're in a playoff hunt at that point without him, it would be a very risky change of course to change things by bringing him in.

Long way of saying - I'd IR him.

Signed,

SISF

(Sky Is Surely Falling) Fan

aggiebones
08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
A shame but shut him down. Tough to see his seasno go up in a puff of smoke but it happens.
The preseason is needed. The guys are too rusty after long offseasons and need to hit. There are 16 games and teams need to be ready to go for game 1. New players and rookies like DeCastro need live game to get acclimated. Sheet happens. Second guessing a preseason isn't legit.

D Rock
08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
At this point I have to look at him as a backup only for this season.

The question now comes down to this...who would you rather have as the backup OG in December/January...Decastro or Essex?

I'd keep a roster spot open for him just because he would be the best backup on the team when he's healthy again. Hopefully in the time between now and then not many backup OLinemen are needed. If injuries and the roster call for it at any time of the season and another guy is needed, then Decastro can be put on IR. Basically....there is a gameday inactive linemen every week...might as well make it him as long as his spot isn't needed due to other injuries.

papillon
08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
At this point I have to look at him as a backup only for this season.

The question now comes down to this...who would you rather have as the backup OG in December/January...Decastro or Essex?

I'd keep a roster spot open for him just because he would be the best backup on the team when he's healthy again. Hopefully in the time between now and then not many backup OLinemen are needed. If injuries and the roster call for it at any time of the season and another guy is needed, then Decastro can be put on IR. Basically....there is a gameday inactive linemen every week...might as well make it him as long as his spot isn't needed due to other injuries.

I don't think he'll really be a viable backup even if he can return this season. Too much rust and inexperience, not to mention the fact that he's probably never had to rehab as hard as he will be expected to in the NFL. If the Steelers are in the playoff picture Tomlin won't be putting in a rookie coming off MCL and/or patellar tendon surgery into a playoff game.

In my opinion he'll be IRd shortly.

Pappy

D Rock
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't think he'll really be a viable backup even if he can return this season. Too much rust and inexperience, not to mention the fact that he's probably never had to rehab as hard as he will be expected to in the NFL. If the Steelers are in the playoff picture Tomlin won't be putting in a rookie coming off MCL and/or patellar tendon surgery into a playoff game.

In my opinion he'll be IRd shortly.

Pappy

who else is worth keeping over him? Even if he can't serve as a viable backup, it may be worth keeping him around just to let him get practice reps this year and not 'lose' his rookie season completely.

Do you keep Lee instead? Beachum? Chris Scott?

I'd keep Decastro.

Shoe
08-27-2012, 12:01 AM
who else is worth keeping over him? Even if he can't serve as a viable backup, it may be worth keeping him around just to let him get practice reps this year and not 'lose' his rookie season completely.

I'd keep Decastro.

I agree. If we had a Steve McLendon-like talent in the wings, I could see it. But those guys listed above are nothing more than warm bodies as far as I can tell.

D Rock
08-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I agree. If we had a Steve McLendon-like talent in the wings, I could see it. But those guys listed above are nothing more than warm bodies as far as I can tell.

and those guys are easily placed on the practice squad and available when needed. I see no problem keeping Decastro active as the 9th OL and hoping and praying there are no injuries that force a decision right away.

flippy
08-27-2012, 09:24 AM

I'd keep Decastro.

I'm with DRock. It's not like someone else is gonna pick up one of these bums if we cut em. We can always bring someone back if Foster goes down. And we can live to Bronko who's serviceable if needed.

DD is better than Foster even after week 16 if it takes that long imho.

And I know no one wants to consider this, but I think we'd be best off if we had Legs starting at C and Pouncey at G until DD comes back.

ikestops85
08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I would wait until after last cuts and then see if somebody releases a serviceable veteran. If we could find a guy like Flozelle who has 1 or 2 years left then we should sign him and IR DD. Hopefully there will be that type of guy floating around on the wire.

This really sux!!

pfelix73
08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
So, I am watching the start of the replay of this game.. Even though DD did actually start, Foster WAS listed on the TV as the starting RG. Both the Bills and Steelers networks had Foster listed as the starter.

You ask- why am I posting this? Because for 2 DAYS I thought I was going senile. LOL... OK, now I know I got some of it right. The TV folks just had it wrong....... whew.... I know we all forget crap as we age, but I'm glad it ain't my turn YET- LOL

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 04:23 PM
DeCastro to have surgery later this week

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x-722-e1346095971337.jpg?w=227

As the Steelers move toward preparations for their Week One showdown with the Broncos, their first-round pick is preparing for knee surgery.

A source with knowledge of the situation tell PFT that DeCastro will have surgery later this week to repair a knee that was injured during Saturday night’s preseason game against the Bills.

DeCastro has a torn MCL, a dislocated kneecap, and an injury to the patellar tendon. He is expected to miss three-to-five months.

The Steelers will have to decide whether to place DeCastro on injured reserve or keep him on the active roster after Friday’s deadline for dropping to 53 players. If the NFL and NFLPA had reached an agreement regarding a change in the injured reserve rules, DeCastro could have been placed on injured reserve for six weeks, with the ability to return later in the season.

In 1995, the Steelers held a roster spot for cornerback Rod Woodson for the entire season, and he eventually played in Super Bowl XXX.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/27/decastro-to-have-surgery-later-this-week/

fezziwig
08-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I think the Steelers will see how surgery goes before they move on this. 3 to 5 months they are saying and if that is true, they'll place him on IR. Maybe, if he was an experienced Faneca they would allow him his chance to recover and possibly make a contribution but a rookie......I just don't see it. They'll need the spot to try to develope a scrub or to assure the position if some vet gets cut.

Tough brake for DD and for the development in that area for the team.

hawaiiansteel
08-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I think the Steelers will see how surgery goes before they move on this.

Ed: Surgery Will Determine Extent of DeCastro's Injuries

MONDAY, 27 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The Steelers are waiting until after David DeCastro has surgery on his right knee to determine whether they can hold a roster spot open for him or not. It would probably entail holding it for at least half the season and that’s if everything lines up right. But here’s the theory on that: Who is the team’s ninth and final offensive lineman on the roster anyway, John Malecki?

And if you can have DeCastro back even for later in the season, they feel it would benefit both him and the team for him to be able to practice and even play. If he goes on IR, he can do neither, even when healthy.

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117782-ed-surgery-will-determine-extent-of-decastros-injuries

D Rock
08-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh looky looky who nailed that one!

THIS GUY!

fezziwig
08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
while watching the nfl channel it reported decastro wont go on ir