PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

lloydroid
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Redman said he has a dinged hip not groin, and that he is going to try to work through it and practice and hope not to make it worse....Ummm, why do these guys refuse to just let things heal instead of pushing and pushing when they are injured? I can see playing through pain, but, over all, if something is hurt, REST IT and LET IT HEAL. The football culture of always playing and practicing no matter what, if at all possible, is retarded and needs to change. This tough man bull sh---t is just stupid. Let the body heal. It's that kind of inbred, troglodyte mentality that has led to so many concussions, and men playing with concussions. If these idiots can't figure it out on their own (and I blame everyone, with much of the pressure coming from coaches), then they do need to be mandated to let players heal, without all this pressure to always play and practice.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
wouldn't Redman have to be cleared by the medical trainers who supervise his rehab process?

lloydroid
08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
wouldn't Redman have to be cleared by the medical trainers who supervise his rehab process?

Yea, what does "cleared" mean? "You don't have any broken bones or torn ligaments, then get your @ss out there!" If you read the quotes from Redman, and read between the lines, it sure sounds like he is being pressured to get out there when he is really not healed. I don't get what the obsession is with the football world pressuring players who would be better served to allow their injuries to heal. I think it's archaic, antiquated and BS!

flippy
08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Yea, what does "cleared" mean? "You don't have any broken bones or torn ligaments, then get your @ss out there!" If you read the quotes from Redman, and read between the lines, it sure sounds like he is being pressured to get out there when he is really not healed. I don't get what the obsession is with the football world pressuring players who would be better served to allow their injuries to heal. I think it's archaic, antiquated and BS!

I bet Redman doesn't want to sit. Sitting could make him lose his spot to another back that outperforms him.

I don't think it so much the macho attitude as these guys need to play to protect their livelihood and earning potential.

It's the complete opposite position of a Mike Wallace not signing a contract. But it's motivated by the same reason if you're a Redman type player.

pittpete
08-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Sometimes its better to be active instead of just resting.
Its not a broken bone or torn muscle.
Ever have a sore muscle or joint and after you move around or exercise you feel 10x better?

SidSmythe
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I totally get where you're coming from LloydDroid!!
Not exactly sure what the case is here, but we saw it happen with Pouncey and Woodley over the past few years.
You don't hurry Hamstings and High Ankle Sprains.

lloydroid
08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Sometimes its better to be active instead of just resting.
Its not a broken bone or torn muscle.
Ever have a sore muscle or joint and after you move around or exercise you feel 10x better?

I come from a pretty medical family. Although you can "work through" some pains and strains, it is highly more likely that if something hurts, it's telling you to let it rest and it will heal. I remember my elderly neighbor dinged his calf skiing. He kept trying to "work it out" by continually stretching and massaging it. But it wasn't getting any better. So I asked my doctor family member: Why isn't it getting any better? And he said, "Just stop moving it, and it will heal." So, sure enough, when I told him to just let it rest and stop moving it, he finally healed.

"The body heals itself" is mostly a true statement, but you have to let it rest in order for that to work. Also, my wife pulled her back out and was going to chiropractor, but she wasn't getting any better, for weeks. So, I said, "Let's put the chiropractors' own philosophy to work," which is that the body will heal itself. I figured all the adjustments and massages they were giving her was fouling up her getting better. Sure enough, she quit going to the chiro, and went to an MD who gave her muscle relaxers for night time, and, bingo, she did finally get better. It was when she stopped having it all worked around and just rested that finally made her get better. As far as Redman not wanting to miss time for fear of losing his job, that is true. But they should be preventing players from hurting themselves. But instead, the culture of football is to always play unless you can't at all. "Are you hurt or are you injured?" That mindset is f---g jacked and should be eradicated.

lloydroid
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I totally get where you're coming from LloydDroid!!
Not exactly sure what the case is here, but we saw it happen with Pouncey and Woodley over the past few years.
You don't hurry Hamstings and High Ankle Sprains.

I was pissed when they rushed those guys back as well. It's a football mentality that starts at Pop Warner and runs all the way through the NFL. Everyone is conditioned to feel that you always have to make the field, regardless of if you are dizzy or should be rested. It's BS, and should be eradicated. The only reason the NFL is even making any moves towards fixing guys with concussions not coming back in is because they fear upcoming law suits, not because they actually gave a F--k prior to that. They have shown by their actions that they think players are replaceable parts and they are there to be used up, spit out, and replaced, without concern for their life condition after the fact.

flippy
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Where's Hines and his hyperbaric chamber when you need it?

flippy
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Another point worth mentioning, some guys have incredibly high pain thresholds and others do not.

Guys like Bettis and McNair could barely walk between games. But it never slowed them down on a Sunday. Those are just 2 guys that come to mind when thinking of guys that took a beating.

I'm sure Olinemen and DLinemen take a beating week in and week out that would kill the rest of us. And you never hear any of those guys complain about anything almost ever.

lloydroid
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Another point worth mentioning, some guys have incredibly high pain thresholds and others do not.

Guys like Bettis and McNair could barely walk between games. But it never slowed them down on a Sunday. Those are just 2 guys that come to mind when thinking of guys that took a beating.

I'm sure Olinemen and DLinemen take a beating week in and week out that would kill the rest of us. And you never hear any of those guys complain about anything almost ever.

That's not the same thing as a guy with a hip injury forcing himself to play. Linemen are sore every single week, for sure. Just look at them every play. But those dings are just bruises; you can obviously play through bruises. I am talking about when things hurt like a hip injury, hamstring, bad sprain, groin. I have had all of those, and they were never helped by a continuation of forced play. My groin kept getting re-inured when I went to go up stairs. The only way it ever healed was when I stopped using it. It took almost a year to finally heal. If I tried running the ball in the meantime, it would have never healed up. Same with hamstrings. This macho man BS of acting like you have to be a tough guy when your body needs rest to heal is BS. When Bettis sprained his calf in the preseason, he didn't come back right away. He took some games off in the beginning of the season that was needed for his calf to heal.

NorthCoast
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM

I have a niece who fell down the stairs one day. Only a few weeks later did she complain about soreness in her shoulder. Went to the doctor and found she had a broken collarbone.... that is some pain threshold.

aggiebones
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Its all dress rehearsal from here. The last 2 days were soft and he'll get about 5 carries as the starter, maybe. No sense in him giving up those carries for general pain. Then the starters will leave and Rainey, Batch, Dwyer, etc will eat up the rest of the carries against the backups. He's young, so he can heal while going. This is a chance he cannot let slip through his fingers. And he won't. He took some time off, it was enough.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Its all dress rehearsal from here. The last 2 days were soft and he'll get about 5 carries as the starter, maybe. No sense in him giving up those carries for general pain. Then the starters will leave and Rainey, Batch, Dwyer, etc will eat up the rest of the carries against the backups. He's young, so he can heal while going. This is a chance he cannot let slip through his fingers. And he won't. He took some time off, it was enough.

In the 3rd preseason game, though, the starters typically play the entire first half, and sometimes a series in the 3rd quarter as well. It's the 4th preseason game where starters make only a very brief appearance.

aggiebones
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Yea, mixed those up originally. Either way, he'll likely only get 7-8 carries and X number of pass blocking plays. And with the last couple days relatively soft days, he should be healing and be fine. There is a battle for the remaining RB slot with Redman and Mendy taking 2. So the other 3(Dwyer, Batch and Rainey) will get looks with starters here and there in the first half.