PDA

View Full Version : Big Rumor out of Jacksonville....You heard it here first!!

SidSmythe
08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
According to my connections in the Jacksonville area, the only thing stopping a trade between the JAGUARS (M.J. Drew) and STEELERS (Mike Wallace) is getting both players to agree with Long Term Deals!!

SidSmythe
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Just Kidding!! :lol:
:Boobs:stirpot I have no connections in Jacksonville!! except I can find it on Google maps.
I'm bored. need a hobby!! :p

Shawn
08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
:mad:

I would love to have MJD in the black and gold.

SidSmythe
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Jags fans want Wallace and they need a #1 WR for their young QB.
Doubt the Steelers would be willing to give him the $$$

Shoe
08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I would love MJD, ignoring contract numbers (which I know is hard to do). The problem would be the waste of talent that would result behind MJD, if you think Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer (and even Rainey) have real NFL talent. Jones-Drew would never leave the field (because he is an outstanding pass-blocker/reciever), which means you basically have all those guys just lingering, sitting, waiting until Jones-Drew gets hurt. What a waste that would be.

Oviedo
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Done! I would take MJD over Wallace in milisecond and then trade Redman for another WR. Trading Redman would clear the logjam of players at RB. Getting MJD would also mean we don't need to spend big money to replace Mendy at the end of the season. Good things all around.

SidSmythe
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Done! I would take MJD over Wallace in milisecond and then trade Redman for another WR. Trading Redman would clear the logjam of players at RB. Getting MJD would also mean we don't need to spend big money to replace Mendy at the end of the season. Good things all around.

Straight up trades for players are a thing of the past almost
Redman hasn't proven himself over a full season so I doubt we'd get anyone better than what we have in the WR Dept.

DukieBoy
08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Do you guys have any concern that MJD's remaining shelf life might be short? Comparatively, Wallace has several more prime years ahead of him and has not peaked his potential.

Mike might be rigid in his demands and stay beyond the Steelers' capacity to accept them. It may be a one-and-done for Mike with the B&G, but there is still the franchise tag and sufficient leverage to produce meaningful return in a trade for draft picks.

MJD's demands might be very steep for the Steelers' pockets, too.

MJD's talents are great, but I am less enthused about the longer term with him. We have a set of capable backs on the roster now.

D Rock
08-22-2012, 02:53 PM

getting MJD DOES mean spending big money to replace Mendy at the beginning of the season though....

Shawn
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Do you guys have any concern that MJD's remaining shelf life might be short? Comparatively, Wallace has several more prime years ahead of him and has not peaked his potential.

Mike might be rigid in his demands and stay beyond the Steelers' capacity to accept them. It may be a one-and-done for Mike with the B&G, but there is still the franchise tag and sufficient leverage to produce meaningful return in a trade for draft picks.

MJD's demands might be very steep for the Steelers' pockets, too.

MJD's talents are great, but I am less enthused about the longer term with him. We have a set of capable backs on the roster now.

My concern with Wallace is that he isn't physical, has ok hands, runs ok routes but has stupid speed. He is one high ankle sprain from being a sub average WR.

Snatch98
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
You guys are crazy. I personally would never do this deal assuming we can get Wallace under a contract extension. One MJD isn't going to be cheap and two he has a TON of miles on that small frame. He's not "old" but based on mileage he certainly isn't young.

lloydroid
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Jags fans want Wallace and they need a #1 WR for their young QB.
Doubt the Steelers would be willing to give him the $$$

Blackmon is Jax #1 WR. He will prove to be better than Wallace. And Pgh doesn't want to spend top RB $ on a guy who is past his prime. Both players are wanting unfair $. Mojo got his deal 2 years ago and now wants a new one with 2 years left on his current deal. Jax, by the way, is rushing the ball just fine without him. The new owner won't give into Mojo's crap.

ramblinjim
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Agree with Snatch, MJD has been a fantastic player for J'ville but he's past his prime whereas Wallace is about to enter his. I don't see this as a move that the Steelers would make.

lloydroid
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
You guys are crazy. I personally would never do this deal assuming we can get Wallace under a contract extension. One MJD isn't going to be cheap and two he has a TON of miles on that small frame. He's not "old" but based on mileage he certainly isn't young.

He is not old, but he is not all that "slippery" either, meaning, he does take a lot of hits each season. Mojo only has a few good seasons left, but will want a giant signing bonus for a new deal. He just got one 2 years ago and already wants another one.

SidSmythe
08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
MoJo might be short but he's stacked. I would say he's built to take more of a beating than Adrian Peterson.
MoJo is only 27 and has 4 good seasons left in him. I run the tires right off of him.

Wallace is entering his prime but I don't see a Long Term Deal for him with the Steelers.

Snatch98
08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
MoJo might be short but he's stacked. I would say he's built to take more of a beating than Adrian Peterson.
MoJo is only 27 and has 4 good seasons left in him. I run the tires right off of him.

Wallace is entering his prime but I don't see a Long Term Deal for him with the Steelers.

But you do see one with MJD? I'd argue that MJD may command a larger contract than even Wallace. I want nothing to do with MJD and I guarantee if similar were brought up to the Steeler front office they'd laugh it off. Let's not forget that we can almost assure ourselves that the FO is bigger on Mendenhall than the fan base and we have several other capable backs in the system. It's not going to happen.

Shoe
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Agree with Snatch, MJD has been a fantastic player for J'ville but he's past his prime whereas Wallace is about to enter his. I don't see this as a move that the Steelers would make.

I agree that we've probably seen the best of him (he's had over 1,000 carries in the last three seasons), but I think in our system--we'd see him still resemble his "prime" years. Think Bettis from the Rams to us.

Blackmon is Jax #1 WR. He will prove to be better than Wallace. And Pgh doesn't want to spend top RB $ on a guy who is past his prime. Both players are wanting unfair $. Mojo got his deal 2 years ago and now wants a new one with 2 years left on his current deal. Jax, by the way, is rushing the ball just fine without him. The new owner won't give into Mojo's crap.

Blackmon will not be better than Wallace. I think Blackmon has big bust potential, and Wallace has a lot of potentially strong years ahead of him. He may never be a true #1, but he's a 3-year WR with 2 1,000 yard seasons under his belt already.

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
We got Bettis after his 3rd season in the league (where Wallace is now), not after his 6th season like MJD (the last 3 of which put a bunch of tread on his tires...954 carries and another 130 catches).

Wallace is younger, has less tread on his tires, is entering his prime rather than leaving it, and in what is now a predominantly passing league plays what is now a more vital position these days in the grand scheme of things.

And I don't understand how Steeler fans can vilify Wallace for not being in camp (without a signed contract), but prefer a guy who is holding out of camp (with 2 years left on his contract).

NJ-STEELER
08-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Max wouldnt do this. They drafted a receiver with a high #1 this year. He'll be their #1 guy

flippy
08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
We got Bettis after his 3rd season in the league (where Wallace is now), not after his 6th season like MJD (the last 3 of which put a bunch of tread on his tires...954 carries and another 130 catches).

Wallace is younger, has less tread on his tires, is entering his prime rather than leaving it, and in what is now a predominantly passing league plays what is now a more vital position these days in the grand scheme of things.

And I don't understand how Steeler fans can vilify Wallace for not being in camp (without a signed contract), but prefer a guy who is holding out of camp (with 2 years left on his contract).

We'd vilify MJD even more if he were a Steeler. Who cares what that Jag is doing really. :)

SteelBucks
08-23-2012, 10:30 AM

I know I'm looking at this wrong but I consider them both holdouts. Wallace has chosen to not sign his contract (1 year tender), therefore in my eyes he's also a holdout.

Sugar
08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I know I'm looking at this wrong but I consider them both holdouts. Wallace has chosen to not sign his contract (1 year tender), therefore in my eyes he's also a holdout.

That puzzles me. If he hasn't signed a contract, how is he a holdout? He hasn't agreed to anything to hold out of.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM

I don't look at it that way at all...to me your word is golden, and MJD has broken his word, while Wallace hasn't broken anything. Wallace is not under contract, and therefore is under no obligation to be here. The team cannot even fine him for missing camp, because he is not currently signed with the team. He's had production in his first 3 years that is as-good-or-better-than what the best receivers in the history of the game have done in their first 3 years, and only got paid at total of $1.7 million for it as a 3rd round pick. I can understand how a guy who has done what he has done would want more security than just a $2.7 payday, considering what other guys with less impressive resumes are getting paid. If Wallace plays for that tender this year, then Larry Foote (in the final year of a three-year, $9.3 million contract) will be making more money than Mike Wallace this year. Seriously...Wallace is an unmatched offensive weapon, while Foote may be our biggest liability on defense.

On the other hand, MJD signed a five-year, $30.95 million contract in 2009, with $17.5 million guaranteed, including a $9 million signing bonus and his base salaries in years one and two. Now that all that guaranteed money is gone, now he wants to sign another long-term deal with more guaranteed money, even though you still have 2 years left on your contract? That's bullcrap. The team should fine him the maximum that they can for every day he is not there while under contract.

feltdizz
08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
hell no...

ikestops85
08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't look at it that way at all...to me your word is golden, and MJD has broken his word, while Wallace hasn't broken anything. Wallace is not under contract, and therefore is under no obligation to be here. The team cannot even fine him for missing camp, because he is not currently signed with the team. He's had production in his first 3 years that is as-good-or-better-than what the best receivers in the history of the game have done in their first 3 years, and only got paid at total of $1.7 million for it as a 3rd round pick. I can understand how a guy who has done what he has done would want more security than just a $2.7 payday, considering what other guys with less impressive resumes are getting paid. If Wallace plays for that tender this year, then Larry Foote (in the final year of a three-year, $9.3 million contract) will be making more money than Mike Wallace this year. Seriously...Wallace is an unmatched offensive weapon, while Foote may be our biggest liability on defense.

On the other hand, MJD signed a five-year, $30.95 million contract in 2009, with $17.5 million guaranteed, including a $9 million signing bonus and his base salaries in years one and two. Now that all that guaranteed money is gone, now he wants to sign another long-term deal with more guaranteed money, even though you still have 2 years left on your contract? That's bullcrap. The team should fine him the maximum that they can for every day he is not there while under contract.

Well said Ruthless.

grotonsteel
08-23-2012, 01:27 PM

+1

I agree.

MJD wants AP/Darren mcFadden/CJ money hence he is not happy even though he is under contract for 2 more yrs.

So some Steelers have no problem giving MJD 10 million/yr but there butt hurts when Wallace demands 10 million/yr or does not show up even though he is not under contract???? :confused:

On top of that its easy to replace RB than WR. WR has more value in todays NFL.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
+1

I agree.

MJD wants AP/Darren mcFadden/CJ money hence he is not happy even though he is under contract for 2 more yrs.

So some Steelers have no problem giving MJD 10 million/yr but there butt hurts when Wallace demands 10 million/yr or does not show up even though he is not under contract???? :confused:

On top of that its easy to replace RB than WR. WR has more value in todays NFL.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$