PDA

View Full Version : How did Willie Colon look?

BigRob
08-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Couldn't catch the game. How did Willie look at left guard?

toddjammin
08-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I just rewatched the game and I thought Colon played fantastic at LG. With him and Max on the left side, there should be a lot of running room for the running backs.

flippy
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Colon is built to play G. The only weakness I've ever seen in his game is handling the speed rushers off the edge at RT. Now he's fighting in a phone booth. He's built to dominate that battle. And while he's not got the best feet for a tackle, he's got great feet for a G.

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 08:33 PM
I said the same thing about Colon in the day that he is built to be a guard.

Steel Life
08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I just rewatched the game and I thought Colon played fantastic at LG. With him and Max on the left side, there should be a lot of running room for the running backs.
In what has to be the least asked question...how did Gilbert look? All things considered I thought Gilbert looked pretty good & would think he'd be alright at LT for a bit.

flippy
08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
In what has to be the least asked question...how did Gilbert look? All things considered I thought Gilbert looked pretty good & would think he'd be alright at LT for a bit.

Gilbert looked better at LT this week than he did at RT last week. But he was still far from perfect.

I have to say, the way we keep shuffling the line around, I worry we're gonna start slow this year until these guys get used to playing in their spots. Hopefully we have our interior line locked down now to get these guys used to playing with one another.

And then hopefully Haley lets them run block for the first 4-6 weeks until they get used to playing next to one another.

D Rock
08-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Following with Flippy's post above...how did Decastro look on film?

It seems as though Decastro has become the starter at RG without it ever really being announced. The injuries and position shifts of other guys gave him the spot and nothing out there says he's going to give it back to anyone else.

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Does that mean DCast earned it or is it by default ?

D Rock
08-22-2012, 07:45 AM
As soon as Foster is done playing tackle, if Decastro is still starting, then he earned it.

Oviedo
08-22-2012, 08:24 AM
No holding calls on Colon or DeCastro. That is a significant improvement over Kemo and Foster.

phillyesq
08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Following with Flippy's post above...how did Decastro look on film?

It seems as though Decastro has become the starter at RG without it ever really being announced. The injuries and position shifts of other guys gave him the spot and nothing out there says he's going to give it back to anyone else.

DD is certainly agile and mobile. Saw a few times where he hit an initial defender and hunted down a linebacker. Would like to see him hit a few more guys when he's on the move, but so far, he has at the very least been solid, which is a huge improvement.

BigRob
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/pretty-good/

“Pretty Good” By Craig Wolfley (http://craigwolfley.com/author/wolfley/) On August 21, 2012 · Leave a Comment (http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/pretty-good/#comments) · In Personal Interviews (http://craigwolfley.com/category/personal-interviews/), Steelers (http://craigwolfley.com/category/steelers/), Steelers Training Camp (http://craigwolfley.com/category/steelers-training-camp/), Tunch & Wolf (http://craigwolfley.com/category/tunch-wolf/)

I was jacked to set up on the sidelines for the pre-season Heinz Field home opener with the Steelers playing host to the Indianapolis Colts. Not because of Andrew Luck, or the return of Bruce Arians or anything like that. I wanted to see Willie Colon make his first start at guard.
All right, i suppose you can call me a Hogg sympathizer, or an offensive line snob, but i have followed Willie Colon’s career for quite some time and i have always believed he could play guard, and do it well. Sunday night, Big Willie didn’t disappoint.
On the openeing series for the Steelers they ran the ball with, i believe it was, Johnathan Dwyer carrying the pigskin that called for a double-team block on the frontside between Marcus Gilbert and Colon. 300 hundred plus pounds of Colts DT Tony Moala dug in versus about 700 pounds of Hogg-on-the-hoof as Willie acted as the post-man and Gilbert the hip banger with an eye to come off on a linebacker trying to run through.
Colon hit Moala square down the numbers and started to “crane” or lift Moala up from a low pad level. Gilbert, as the man who comes in from the side to bang the hip of Moala and double-team him out of the trenches didn’t get low enough but Marcus has plenty of strength, and he used it all.
Slowly (though realize when i say this it’s just a matter of 1.5-2 seconds), Colon and Gilbert raised up the Colts DT who was fighting mightily, trying to stay low and turning sideways to reduce the hip area available to Gilbert. There seemed an awfully long moment where the colliding forces seemed to neutralize each other. But only for a moment.
Like an aging, old Oak tree that has withstood the onslaught of hundreds of storms only to finally meet it’s match and crack under enormous pressure, Moala suddenly gave way to the fury of a storm named Marcus-Willie.
Moala was lifted up and then, like a cascading wave crashing onto the shore line carrying human bodies like debris, Moala, Gilbert and Colon all crashed to the Heinz Field turf about five or six yards down the field. Awesome.
It’s hard to convey a titan-esque physical match-up like that if you’ve never been fortunate enough to be in on one. In the “game within the game,” where superior fire power means a lot, this was a huge win and what i knew Willie would be great at. Willie is a natural drive blocker and capable of rolling his hips through thereby lifting up and securing the down lineman on a double-team so that the tackle can provide extra oomph, and go get somebody on the second level.
Colon and Gilbert literally carried Moala several steps before the big splash and the play netted a positive gain just because the “shoreline” was now six yards or so back further than when the storm started. This was a perfect example of what it means to “Re-establish the line of scrimmage on the other side.”
After the game i saw Willie in the lockerroom. I said, “Check out that double-team on the first drive during films.”
I saw Willie today at practice, and i said “How’d that double-team look on film?”
Willie just let a grin crease his face and replied, “Pretty good.”

fezziwig
08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
No holding calls on Colon or DeCastro. That is a significant improvement over Kemo and Foster.

Had Colon been the tackle you wouldn't be saying that. Also no bone head penalties either like Kemo does plus, the guy would not even run the plays that were called at times. Glad Kemo is gone. Gone along with his pile diving.

Flasteel
08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
DD is certainly agile and mobile. Saw a few times where he hit an initial defender and hunted down a linebacker. Would like to see him hit a few more guys when he's on the move, but so far, he has at the very least been solid, which is a huge improvement.

I was only able to go back and watch most of the first two series before I was interrupted, but DeCastro go out to the 2nd level on nearly every play. A couple of times he really didn't engage anyone though. Overall I thought he looked good.

Colon looked good too, although he did kind of fall off of one double-team block and wind up on all fours. It was hard to see what happened from my angle, but there was real good push on the play. He failed to get out in front of a linebacker on another play, but was able to get just enough of him to stop the guy from getting a hand on the RB. He did a great job of not drawing a hold on that one. He totally drove Robert Mathis all the way across the formation and out of the play on a check-down.

Gilbert clearly held on one play and he couldn't get out in front of the linebacker that made the initial contact on Rainey's fumble...it might have been the same play that Colon got just enough of his guy.

I want to go back and look at more, but the line seemed to be improved over last week. Not much opportunity to see any pass blocking either. Can't wait to see if Starks can stabilize everything.

fezziwig
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
My opinion of the Colts game was the o-line played better and everything you mentioned flasteel is spot on. At least on how I seen things. I do believe Philly has a much better defesive front than the Colts so, maybe that is why there is an improvement. I see our o-line being a strength to the team by week 6. Not to say they are so bad but by then, they'll have the groove going.

D Rock
08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Hearing so many good things about Colon at guard is super exciting. Two potential or current all-pros with very high pedigree in Pouncey and Decastro, with the big mean guy next to them at LG. That is shaping up to be one helluva interior Oline by the end of the season!

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
My opinion of the Colts game was the o-line played better and everything you mentioned flasteel is spot on. At least on how I seen things. I do believe Philly has a much better defesive front than the Colts so, maybe that is why there is an improvement. I see our o-line being a strength to the team by week 6. Not to say they are so bad but by then, they'll have the groove going.

This weekend should be the biggest test for our o-line to date, since we will be facing a top-notch d-line consisting of Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Mark Anderson (and since it is the 3rd preseason game, both teams will probably be using their starters into the second half).

flippy
08-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Wasn't Philly the team that sacked Ben 40 times in a game a few years ago?

I think their defensive front is a pain for everyone. And the Colts have a new system making their defensive front more of a work in progress.

It will be interesting to see what we do this weekend.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 05:24 PM

yeah, and I think that was only in the first half too :D

Oviedo
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM

I think their defensive front is a pain for everyone. And the Colts have a new system making their defensive front more of a work in progress.

It will be interesting to see what we do this weekend.

I think it was like 8 sacks and yes their front four and their defense gives everyone fits but for some reason it seems to bother us more.

I think this weekends game against Buffalo will be a good test. They have a good DL.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I think it was like 8 sacks and yes their front four and their defense gives everyone fits but for some reason it seems to bother us more.

I think this weekends game against Buffalo will be a good test. They have a good DL.

Yes, and IIRC that game signalled the end of our 2008 season after such an awful performance.

Oh wait, we won the SB that year. ;)

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, and IIRC that game signalled the end of our 2008 season after such an awful performance.

Oh wait, we won the SB that year. ;)

I'll bet you could have gotten some really good odds in Vegas on the Steelers winning the Super Bowl after that game...

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Colon pulling out all stops

8/23/2012
By F. Dale LolleyStaff writerdlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/assets/8493463/08-23-colon-instory.jpg

PITTSBURGH - The first time Willie Colon pulled around end from his left guard position in last Sunday night’s 26-24 preseason victory by the Steelers, he admits he felt a little out of place.

After all, Colon had played right tackle in each of his previous six NFL seasons, and tackles are more accustomed to opponents getting running starts on them rather than the other way around.

“I felt like I didn’t react well enough at certain points. It’s not a natural thing for me,” Colon said. “I’ve got to kind of hone in on it and make it my goal to do better at it.

“I’m not used to kind of moving to hit somebody. But I felt good about it.”

The Steelers did as well.

“Willie’s a good football player, regardless of the circumstance you put him in,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s going to play above the line. He always does, whether it’s at guard or tackle. We like how he’s grown and developed in that role.”

Colon has missed all but a half of a game in the past two seasons after being sidelined in 2010 by an Achilles’ tendon injury and in 2011 by a torn triceps suffered in the season opener.

The injury last season opened the door for rookie Marcus Gilbert to make 13 starts and the Steelers felt good enough about his play that they were comfortable moving Colon inside.

Sunday’s action was his first of this preseason after he suffered a slightly sprained ankle in the days prior to the Steelers’ opener at Philadelphia and sat out as a precaution.

Needless to say, both he and the Steelers were anxious to see how he would handle the position swap in game action.

“I’ve always felt like I could be a better (guard),” said the 6-3, 315-pound Colon. “I’m one of those guys who take everything to heart. I always feel like I can do better. I feel like the sky is the limit for me. I’m willing to put in the work so that I can be the best guard.”

With Colon moving to guard and the addition of first-round draft pick David DeCastro at right guard to flank Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers feel the middle of their line has the potential to be stronger than it has been in years.

“They all have a lot of competitive fire starting in the middle with Maurkice Pouncey,” said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. “Willie Colon is mean and nasty. He’s just what you’d think a player coming from the Bronx and Hofstra University. It’s going to be fun to watch”

Colon feels it will be even more effective when he gets the hang of pulling, which requires him to break at the snap of the ball, run around Pouncey’s backside and hit the first guy in an opposing uniform that he sees.

To get ready for that transition, Colon lost some weight prior to training camp to help him with his footspeed.

“I actually leaned up a lot. That was the goal going into this camp,” Colon said. “I knew I was going to pull a lot. The screen game is also a big part of this package. I kind of had to shed a bit and lean up. That was a good thing.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/Steelers-Colon

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2012, 02:31 PM
“I actually leaned up a lot. That was the goal going into this camp,” Colon said. “I knew I was going to pull a lot. The screen game is also a big part of this package. I kind of had to shed a bit and lean up. That was a good thing.”

Chris Kemoeatu never figured this part out. He's always had the physique of Hurley from Lost.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzRRji0sawGoTrOe8K5791zvTiRnBlA 1mT-UwjJPo2VmXFT9bk0g http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ0XERciuLvBWcS-UNHZL2KlXlcTroWTMWiX6qqKDw4SKpkwZ0Mg

flippy
08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Chris Kemoeatu never figured this part out. He's always had the physique of Hurley from Lost.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzRRji0sawGoTrOe8K5791zvTiRnBlA 1mT-UwjJPo2VmXFT9bk0g http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ0XERciuLvBWcS-UNHZL2KlXlcTroWTMWiX6qqKDw4SKpkwZ0Mg

The real problem might have been we had him out of position. He had the make up, size, and athleticism to be on the DLine and attack. He coulda been our crazy modern day Ernie Holmes. He probably would have made James Harrison look like a kitten.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Keep an eye on these offensive linemen who may deserve Pro Bowl shots

By Pat Kirwan | NFL Insider
Aug. 22, 2012

Offensive linemen may be the smartest guys on the field. I know their average Wonderlic scores are usually better than most, if not all, positions. They work as a five-men team and don't play positions where statistics jump out at you.

Consequently they are largely ignored, and it seems to me the right guys are too often left out of Pro Bowl consideration in favor of guys with bigger names.

I just wrapped up my summer camp tour, as well as watching many preseason games. There are a number of offensive linemen who never have been elected to a Pro Bowl but deserve some recognition this season. The coaches and opposing players know they are very good players but it's time to open some eyes to the men in the trenches.

So, before the season even starts, I thought I would give you my short list of guys I'm watching.

As you view regular-season games, keep an eye on these linemen and judge if they are Pro Bowl-caliber players. I'm hopeful that a few of these fourteen linemen will receive the invite they deserve. How do you see the list?

Tackles

1. Andrew Whitworth, Cincinnati Bengals: Whitworth is long overdue. A number of line coaches told me they would take him over D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a pass blocker as well as run blocker. Not many teams run the ball to their left as much as the Bengals do == and Whitworth is the point of attack. When it comes to pass blocking, he rarely gets any help from a tight end or running back. He's a team leader and a very unselfish player.

2. Duane Brown, Houston Texans: Here's another team that had more than 200 running plays to the left in 2011. Brown can handle the point of attack in the Texans zone-run scheme. He is left alone in pass blocking and knows he'll get no help this year with newcomers on the right side of the offensive line. He is solid in space on the screen game and leads his line by example. The Texans know his true value and that's why they rewarded him with a big contract.

3. Russell Okung, Seattle Seahawks: Injuries are the main issue for this young player. When healthy he demonstrates why he was a first-round pick. If he stays on the field for 16 games, the truth will come out about this athletic pass blocking left tackle.

4. Eric Winston, Kansas City Chiefs: Right tackles have a hard time making Pro Bowls. They have even a harder time if they are released by their club and have to go elsewhere. Study the tapes of Winston and you will see a big reason the Texans' running game was so successful last year. His peers recognize his Pro Bowl talent -- but the vast majority of voters have not caught up.

5. Jared Veldheer, Oakland Raiders: The Raiders should have never fired line coach Bob Wylie, who did a fine job of developing Veldheer. He has come a long way from a small-college player to a Pro Bowl candidate, and his future is very bright. He may be more than a year away from being recognized as a top tackle but he's on course for sure.

Guards

1. Jon Asamoah, Kansas City Chiefs: Asamoah is a tough, athletic guard who gave up three sacks last year but generally is a very solid pass blocker. His reputation is building as a physical run blocker at the line of scrimmage and when he reaches the linebacker level.

2. Evan Mathis, Philadelphia Eagles: Mathis didn't give up a sack last year and can play multiple positions. After bouncing around from Carolina, Miami and Cincinnati, he found a home in Philadelphia. Mathis has been described to me as an unsung hero of the Eagles' offensive line.

3. Adam Snyder, Arizona Cardinals: The 49ers may regret the day they let Snyder go in free agency this past year. He has power zone run-blocking skills, he can pull in the angle blocking schemes and he can handle inside power rushers. It's too bad the Cardinals offensive tackle situation is so questionable, because Snyder's work may be obscured in the mess.

4. Willie Colon, Pittsburgh Steelers: It's about time the Steelers moved their former right tackle to left guard. Willie needs to stay healthy, something he hasn't done the past two years. The Steelers are re-establishing the run mentality and Colon will be seen pulling as Alan Fanaca did for so many years, leading the power play to the right. When he down blocks on a nose tackle, he gets movement, and when he pass sets the rusher doesn't get any movement.

5. Harvey Dahl, St. Louis Rams: The guy plays with great passion and wants to finish every block with a de-cleat of the defensive lineman. He has gone out to right tackle when asked to and has more than survived. The Rams running game goes right behind him with Steven Jackson. The Falcons' offensive line hasn't been the same since he left in free agency.

6. Josh Sitton, Green Bay Packers: Ask Packers fans who their favorite offensive lineman is and most say Josh Sitton. The Packer Backers know their linemen and place great value in Sitton, a guy every line coach would love to have. If the Packers ran the ball more, everyone would know this young player.

Centers

1. Kyle Cook, Cincinnati Bengals: Offensive line coach Paul Alexander knew he found a very good player when the undrafted rookie free agent was signed from Michigan State in 2008. Four years and 48 starts later, Cook has given up one sack every 12 games.

2. Brad Meester, Jacksonville Jaguars: Meester has been a Jaguar since 2000 and he's started 177 games. He hasn't missed a start the past three seasons and he leads an offensive line that carves out a path for Maurice Jones-Drew to follow. As a pass blocker he has given up seven sacks in his past 69 starts with multiple quarterbacks under center. It's hard to be recognized in Jacksonville but he deserves a good long look.

3. Stefen Wisniewski, Oakland Raiders: The former Penn State player was a guard in 2011 and is now the starting center. He may be a year or two away from national recognition but has the makings of an All-Pro. As a rookie starting guard for 16 games he gave up one sack and got the job done as a run blocker.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19869729/keep-an-eye-on-these-offensive-linemen-who-may-deserve-pro-bowl-shots

flippy
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Willie's gonna take a few weeks to get rolling, but I think he's gonna be really good.

He's powerful at the point of attack. And he's a fighter. But I noticed a couple times when he was moving and having some challenges finding a guy to block. He was great when he hit someone. I suspect the finding someone while you're moving part may not be the easiest thing to pick up immediately.