squidkid
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
cool........i guess

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Source: Wallace to return to Steelers this weekend
August 21, 2012 12:57 pm
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers expect that Mike Wallace will arrive back in Pittsburgh this weekend and sign his one-year contract after they return from their third preseason game in Buffalo, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers play Saturday night in Buffalo. Presumably Wallace would be eligible to play in their final preseason game against Carolina Aug. 30 at Heinz Field, but whether he will or not remains unknown. The Steelers have off on Sunday after their game against Buffalo and will have only two real days of practice before they finish up the preseason against the Panthers.

However, reporting this weekend would give the Pro Bowl wide receiver two weeks to practice and prepare for the regular-season opener in Denver Sept. 9. It also could reopen negotiations on a multiple-year deal between Wallace and the Steelers, talks that ended when he did not report for the start of training camp July 25. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular-season begins. So if Wallace signs his one-year tender Sunday or Monday, it would give them less than two weeks to work on a multiple-year deal with him.

Those negotiations had been ongoing after no other team made him a contract offer as a restricted free agent, a period that ended in April. Wallace's rights then reverted back to the Steelers exclusively, but he has not yet signed the one-year tender of $2.742 million they offered him. After Wallace declined to sign it and did not report to camp, the Steelers turned to another wide receiver, Antonio Brown. Their 2011 team MVP agreed to a six-year, $42.5 million contract just two days into training camp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-to-return-to-steelers-this-weekend-649875/

Oviedo
08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Still being a jerk. Why wait until this weekend. Is that his last desperate act of defiance?

I still want his talent, but I have lost a lot of respect for Wallace because of this futile little drama he has been playing. Without a doubt I question his judgement and common sense going forward.

phillyesq
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Is there a 3 day rule for Wallace? The new street free agents and the PUP list crew had to wait 3 days from when they were signed/activated until the could practice. I've never heard of that applying to holdouts, but the timing would make sense.

feltdizz
08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Still being a jerk. Why wait until this weekend. Is that his last desperate act of defiance?

I still want his talent, but I have lost a lot of respect for Wallace because of this futile little drama he has been playing. Without a doubt I question his judgement and common sense going forward.

a few TD's and all will be forgotten.

Oviedo
08-21-2012, 03:48 PM
a few TD's and all will be forgotten.

Not until I see him holding a Lombardi over his head after catching the game winning TD. He has just been too much of a jerk through this for no reason at all. He accomplished nothing except falling behind learning the new offense. Sure he didn't get injured but he never did before either and guess what he is coming back to play for exactly the tender that was on the table 6-8 weeks ago...not a penny more.

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Report: Mike Wallace to sign contract this weekend, return to team

http://sitracking.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/136636267.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace will end his holdout and report to the team this weekend, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

The Steelers play Saturday night in Buffalo against the Bills and play in their final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers Aug. 30 in Pittsburgh.

Wallace had a one-year tender of $2.742 million that the Steelers offered him but Wallace has said he is looking for a long-term deal. While Wallace held out, the Steelers signed wideout Antonio Brown to a six-year, $42.5 million contract.

Wallace made his first Pro Bowl last season after catching 72 passes for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/08/21/steelers-mike-wallace-to-sign-contract-return-to-team/?sct=hp_t2_a4

skyhawk
08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Sounds like more games of cat and mouse to me.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Not until I see him holding a Lombardi over his head after catching the game winning TD.

Catch the game winning TD in the Super Bowl? That's what he has to do to obtain forgiveness? What if he has a Jerry Rice level performance in the Super Bowl, just to have a John Taylor type come in out of nowhere to catch the game winning score? What if he catches a long bomb at the end of the game but is called down at the 1 yard line, so we run it in for the winning score instead?

Oviedo
08-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Catch the game winning TD in the Super Bowl? That's what he has to do to obtain forgiveness? What if he has a Jerry Rice level performance in the Super Bowl, just to have a John Taylor type come in out of nowhere to catch the game winning score? What if he catches a long bomb at the end of the game but is called down at the 1 yard line, so we run it in for the winning score instead?

Forgiveness is not mine to grant. I want him to succeed because it benefits what matters...the team. I won't forget how he acted this off season for nothing gained. I would have hoped he would have acted with a little more class.

Sugar
08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Forgiveness is not mine to grant. I want him to succeed because it benefits what matters...the team. I won't forget how he acted this off season for nothing gained. I would have hoped he would have acted with a little more class.

What do you mean "nothing gained?" Bringing this down- if my employer told me that I would make $200K this year no matter what, but I could report to work January 1 or wait until April, guess what I'd do?

NorthCoast
08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
OK, so he missed most of the preseason. I can't argue that his strategy got him that much. BUT, if it takes him 4 games to become a factor in games, I think the Steelers will hold this grudge very deeply. I am secretly hoping Gilreath shows enough he can leapfrog Manny "made of glass" Sanders on the depth chart.

Sugar
08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
OK, so he missed most of the preseason. I can't argue that his strategy got him that much. BUT, if it takes him 4 games to become a factor in games, I think the Steelers will hold this grudge very deeply. I am secretly hoping Gilreath shows enough he can leapfrog Manny "made of glass" Sanders on the depth chart.

I guess the secrets out now, lol.

flippy
08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll forgive him the second he puts on the black and gold and starts balling.

That said, I might be more critical of him as I remember he doesn't love the Steelers as much as I do. :)

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 06:55 PM
I'll forgive him the second he puts on the black and gold and starts balling.

That said, I might be more critical of him as I remember he doesn't love the Steelers as much as I do. :)

None of the players on the actual Steelers team love the Steelers as much as any of us who post on this board regularly do. To them it is a business. To us, it's our passion. The Steelers are their bosses. Do you love your boss?

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 07:00 PM

But you are holding the fact that he missed offseason practices and a few essentially meaningless games (really, preseason games are only meaningful to bubble guys trying to make the roster, not established starters) against him. Meanwhile, Rod Woodson is a Steeler god, and he missed half a season of actual games in a contract holdout.

steelsnis
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
None of the players on the actual Steelers team love the Steelers as much as any of us who post on this board regularly do. To them it is a business. To us, it's our passion. The Steelers are their bosses. Do you love your boss?

+1 to this. I'm as diehard a fan as anyone but I'll never understand the anger directed towards NFL players who are trying to upgrade their deals.

What's the average length of an NFL player's career? 3-4 years? In this case Wallace was not even under contract during the holdout. This wasnt a Revis situation where he was under contract and held out. Why the anger towards the guy? He's trying to get a long term deal so he doesn't have to worry about blowing out a knee in a preseason game while on a one-year contract. I don't fault him at all.

It's just not realistic to think every Steelers player is sitting in their black and gold basement twirling a Terrible Towel like the rest of us morons. ;)

AngryAsian
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
But you are holding the fact that he missed offseason practices and a few essentially meaningless games (really, preseason games are only meaningful to bubble guys trying to make the roster, not established starters) against him. Meanwhile, Rod Woodson is a Steeler god, and he missed half a season of actual games in a contract holdout.

I wouldn't say 'god'....I've seen many write very hyper-critical things of Rod because of those afore mentioned contract dealings, the eventual departure to an intra-divisional rival and having great success, and most recently as a jagoff analyst... I know personally, though I'm proud of the black and gold body of work he produced in the past, i cant say Rod is a top ten Steelers fav in my book.... a book that now will have a hard time including Mike Wallace in its pages. Just an opinion.

D Rock
08-21-2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder if my position as an employee who has outperformed a low salary as a result of being in a field where first year workers are essentially unknown commodities affects my view towards this.

I wish Wallace was with the team the whole time, but I also understand he needs to protect his future. I hold no ill will what so ever against him.

flippy
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM

I hear what you're saying. But if 60K people came to my office every day and if millions tuned in to watch me do my job, I'd pretend to like it a lot more than I do ;)

It's like none of us grew up the way we love our Steelers. I feel like a kid every game I watch. :)

flippy
08-21-2012, 08:39 PM

I watched some of the Pats/Philly game last night and the announcers commented, the Pats players sitting out the game looks like their ProBowl roster. Literally no great player was in the game for the Pats.

And that sort of thing makes me wonder, do the Steelers put certain guys on the PUP just to save the wear and tear.

Heck, maybe the Rooney's told Wallace to stay home for a while because he really doesn't need the preseason.

fordfixer
08-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Steelers WR Mike Wallace will return
August 22, 2012 12:13 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-mike-wallace-will-return-649957/

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers expect Mike Wallace to return to Pittsburgh this weekend and sign a one-year contract after the team plays its preseason game in Buffalo, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers play Saturday night. Presumably, Wallace would be eligible to play in their final preseason game against Carolina Aug. 30 at Heinz Field, but whether he will or not is unknown.

The Steelers will be off Sunday after their game against Buffalo and will have only two normal days of practice before they finish the preseason against the Panthers. Wallace will need to pass a physical before he can rejoin them.

Reporting by Monday would give the Pro Bowl wide receiver two weeks to practice and prepare for the regular-season opener Sept. 9 in Denver. His return also could trigger the re-opening of negotiations on a multiple-year deal. Talks between Wallace and the Steelers ended when he did not report for the start of training camp July 25.

The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating once the regular season begins. So, if Wallace signs his one-year tender from the Steelers Sunday or Monday, it would give them less than two weeks to work on a new deal with him.

Wallace and the team had been negotiating after no other team made him a contract offer as a restricted free agent, a period that ended in April. Wallace's rights then reverted back to the Steelers exclusively, but he has not signed their one-'year tender of $2,742,000.

After Wallace declined to sign it and did not report to camp, the Steelers turned to another wide receiver, Antonio Brown. Brown, the 2011 Steelers MVP, agreed to a six-year, $42.5 million contract two days into training camp.

Coach Mike Tomlin, interviewed at Steelers.com Monday, was asked whether seeing Wallace return would be a happy occasion.

"It depends on what frame of mind and level of conditioning and readiness that he shows up in, to be quite honest with you," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to anticipate anything and that's what I mean when I say I'll see him when I see him. He's going to dictate how we move forward."
For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com and Twitter @EdBouchette.
First Published August 22, 2012 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-mike-wallace-will-return-649957/#ixzz24FqyMQ9E

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Hines Ward had a valid contract and held out.......but it seems that all is forgiven.

MJD has a valid contract yet is holding out from the Jags right now.......A few nice runs and all will be forgotten.

Mike Vick killed dogs and sat in jail for it........but it didn't take long for that matter to fade into the background.

Ray Lewis was an accessory to a murder.........but I never hear them talking about that as the football world hails him as a hall of famer.

Only OJ who can no longer contribute on the field has his misdeeds still following him around.

I think a guy who is training on his own as he is without a valid contract will be able to come out from this rather small cloud.

ramblinjim
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Isn't OJ still in prison? Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years. Wallace and Brown, with Big Ben and the line they are building could be a whole lot of fun to watch for a few years.

Oviedo
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Isn't OJ still in prison? Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years. Wallace and Brown, with Big Ben and the line they are building could be a whole lot of fun to watch for a few years.

The only person preventing this from happening is Mike Wallace.

ramblinjim
08-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree Ovie, I just hope he sees this the same way I do! :cool:

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years.

I don't know that I'd go that far just yet. I'd say that Roddy White & Julio Jones, Greg Jennings & Jordy Nelson, and Hakeem Nicks & Victor Cruz are ahead of Wallace & Brown at this point. There is also potential for Miles Austin & Dez Bryant and Desean Jackson & Jeremy Maclin to reach that level at some point in the future, but they are not there yet (injuries and head cases have held them back). Plus Detroit and Arizona have drafted some young promising WR's recently...if any of them end up being legit wideouts across from Megatron or Fitz, they might enter the conversation in the near future as well.

flippy
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't know that I'd go that far just yet. I'd say that Roddy White & Julio Jones, Greg Jennings & Jordy Nelson, and Hakeem Nicks & Victor Cruz are ahead of Wallace & Brown at this point. There is also potential for Miles Austin & Dez Bryant and Desean Jackson & Jeremy Maclin to reach that level at some point in the future, but they are not there yet (injuries and head cases have held them back). Plus Detroit and Arizona have drafted some young promising WR's recently...if any of them end up being legit wideouts across from Megatron or Fitz, they might enter the conversation in the near future as well.

I'd call Megatron's right hand and left hand the best WR duo in the league.

And lets not forget about the TEs. After Megatron, the next 2 superstar pass catchers are Gronkowski and Graham.

And then Brandon Marshall's got Jay Cutler back. He's another duo in and of himself. Didn't he have something like 25 catches in 1 game? That's more catches than Wallace and Brown ever had as a duo.

ramblinjim
08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, I was combining those men with the fact that Ben's throwing them the ball. Not saying that the guys you mentioned aren't studs but who else has a franchise quarterback, year in and year out throwing them the ball? Nelson & Jennings are awfully good as are Nicks and Cruz (and both have great quarterbacks throwing them the ball) but are either on their second contracts yet? Detroit's quarterback, prior to last year had a hard time staying on the field (he's looked really good though) and I think Flippy may well be the quarterback in Arizona. Cutler's really good but does he even like to play football? He seems to be hurt often and until Romo wins in the winter, whoever he's throwing to has a ways to go (and I went the same school as Romo so I'd like to see him do well, and the Cowboys still lose). I realize I'm being a homer, just saying if those two are on the team long term and Ben stays healthy or passing game could be dynamic for years to come.

Flasteel
08-22-2012, 05:03 PM

Quit hating.:D

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Quit hating.:D

http://cheekymonkeyart.com/artwork/wcg/HatersGonnaHate-500pxWide.gif

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Mike Wallace will report to Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend

Posted by Ricky Brisse on August 21, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace informed his teammates that he will show up and sign his restricted free agent tender, according to theNFL.com.

Wallace will still miss the third preseason game on Aug. 25 against Buffalo and may sit out the fourth game. He still needs to learn the new offense put in place by coordinator Todd Haley.

If Wallace signs his tender, he'll earn $2.742 million this season. The Steelers signed Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension while they waited to hear from Wallace.

Wallace recorded 72 catches for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns for the Steelers last year.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_plans_to_join_steelers_this_weekend/11515822

aggiebones
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Baffles me that he wouldn't do this sooner IF he wanted time to sign a long term deal. This tells me he's gonna play this contract out and just wanted to avoid injury in camp. Which tells me he's gonna play SCARED all season and hide on the sidelines more than he does now. Get him in camp and make his arse do bull in the ring every day to make up for skipping. Beotch. Stick him on Franchise next year. Noone plays the Steelers.

Sugar
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Baffles me that he wouldn't do this sooner IF he wanted time to sign a long term deal. This tells me he's gonna play this contract out and just wanted to avoid injury in camp. Which tells me he's gonna play SCARED all season and hide on the sidelines more than he does now. Get him in camp and make his arse do bull in the ring every day to make up for skipping. Beotch. Stick him on Franchise next year. Noone plays the Steelers.

I guess I don't get how you read all that into the situation. Why would he not be able to sign a long term deal if he gets in on Saturday? Do you think that they'd be starting from scratch and not use prior negotiating parameters?

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
They'll have 2 weeks to work out a deal that's better than the $2.7 RFA tender...that should be plenty of time. Remember, last year, the team managed to squeeze in an extension for Polamalu the day before the season started.

squidkid
08-23-2012, 03:10 PM
sign him, lowball him and then next year franchise him

DukieBoy
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Good idea for business may be, but also a risk for backlash in team morale, though. I think the Steelers will offer him as generous a contract as they can. If Mike rejects it, as is his prerogative, then they will have at least have treated him fairly in the eyes of the other Steelers. They could franchise him and allow him to negotiate with other teams next spring, then either reasonably match offers or trade him to where he wants to go for a fair value. Ruthless pointed out that they have two weeks to work out a deal, plenty of time. I am hopeful a deal happens.

RuthlessBurgher
08-23-2012, 04:21 PM

The franchise tag number for a WR likely won't fit under the cap for us next season. But a long term deal, properly structured, will.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Ruthless pointed out that they have two weeks to work out a deal, plenty of time. I am hopeful a deal happens.

it will only happen if Wallace lowers his demand to be paid over $11 million/season, it's really all up to him.

are we a better team with Mike Wallace? of course we are...

is Wallace worth over $11 million/season? IMO, no he isn't.

Sugar
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
it will only happen if Wallace lowers his demand to be paid over $11 million/season, it's really all up to him.

And how do we know that those are his demands?

flippy
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM

You could make the case that Wallace is worth $11M per season.

But for the Steelers, they can make the case they should only be on the hook for $2.7M + $10M + $10M +$10M over the next 4 years. Or roughly $8M/yr. And the Steelers deserve a discount to trade Wally some money up front, some security, some guaranteed dollars, and accelerating the payment. Probably $6-7M/yr over 4 years or $7-8M over 5-6 years. Wally's got the tough decision of what he can live with. He can gamble on the $2.7M for this year and go for forcing a trade next year for a huge payday. He can swallow his pride and take some guaranteed money and set himself up for life and eliminate risk and take quite possibly a lot less. And then the 3rd decision point is length of contract. Does he want to walk the middle ground and have a shorter contract with some guaranteed money so he can re-do a bigger contract down the road. Or does he do a longer contract to get more money now.

Given the games he's playing he may go for longer and more money now. And then go MJD on us in a year or 2 when he feels he wants more. I'd be almost nervous to sign him given what he just did as the Steelers. I'd almost prefer to let him play out this season at $2.7M. Franchise and decide what to do next year. And see how some of the other WRs pan out.

Given his skipping of camp, who knows if he'd pull some stunt in the future to try and get paid? Is it even in the Steelers best interest to try and do a longer term contract at this point? or just wait it out and let it go the way it goes in the future?

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
And how do we know that those are his demands?

I have read several articles where that was stated, here is one where John Clayton reports it:

Mike Wallace returning to Steelers soon?

August, 14, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Mike Wallace's holdout could be coming to an end shortly.

Wallace, the Steelers' leading receiver, is expected to report to the team before the regular season begins, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. This doesn't guarantee that Wallace will be catching passes in Week 1 -- Schefter prefaced this with "he always could change his mind" -- but this is the first indication that Wallace is not planning to extend his holdout into the regular season.

Wallace, who has yet to sign his $2.7 million restricted free-agent tender, only needs to be on the roster for six weeks to be eligible for unrestricted free agency next season. So, there was always a chance he could repeat what Vincent Jackson did in 2010 and sit out the first 10 games of the regular season.

ESPN's John Clayton predicted Wallace will return to the Steelers before the start of the regular season in his weekly mailbag because Wallace will lose $159,000 each week in salary.

According to Clayton, the Steelers are offering a five-year contract worth more than $50 million. Wallace wants around $11.5 million per year.

The Steelers have the upper hand on Wallace for at least the next two seasons. Pittsburgh can keep him as a restricted free agent in 2012 and a franchise player in 2013 for a grand total of $13 million. An average of $6.5 million is a good value when you consider the team is offering $10 million per season.

Talks on a long-term contract with the Steelers won't resume until Wallace reports back to the team. That's why it makes sense for Wallace to do this sooner rather than later.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/52550/wallace-expected-to-report-before-season-begins

Oviedo
08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
The franchise tag number for a WR likely won't fit under the cap for us next season. But a long term deal, properly structured, will.

Correct. That is the fundamental problem. The Steelers would only be able to offer Wallace slightly more than they gave Brown perhaps with some more guaranteed dollars. However, even to do that they are going to have to shed some significant salary. Say goodbye to Harrison? Hampton? Clark?

That's not even factoring in trying to extend Pouncey who will be due a really big raise or trying to keep Mendenhall and Sanders.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 07:11 PM
If Wallace reports, he wont play in preseason

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=aL0T2 0d3VGfDDAKPjGWui8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsSD4z0L6kzUF6 WsuMlfpDWWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

If he signs his contract tender and reports to camp, Steelers receiver Mike Wallace won't be allowed to play in preseason games, per the NFL labor agreement.

Mike Wallaces preseason is effectively over even before it started.

If the holdout wide receiver reports to the Steelers and signs his $2.742 million tender Sunday or Monday, as his teammates believe he will, he still must sit out three days under the NFL labor agreement. That would keep him out of the final preseason game Aug. 30 against Carolina and prevent him from practicing until Labor Day weekend.

According to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Wallace already has an understanding of Todd Haleys new offense, despite not being with the team since last season.

I talked to him today. Hes excited. Were excited, Roethlisberger said Wednesday. Hes been working, and hes been working not just on his conditioning and strength but working through the offense. If hes been putting the work in hes telling me hes been doing, hell be fine.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2453476-85/preseason-wallace-reports-roethlisberger-season-steelers-won-working-alan-clark