PDA

View Full Version : Wallace is in town

squidkid
08-21-2012, 11:09 AM
at least that is the rumor

Shawn
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Rumor from the barber? Or a rumor from a reliable source?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
He told me that Shawn told him :lol:

aggiebones
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM
John Wallace

Shawn
08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
He told me that Shawn told him :lol:

I am indeed a reliable source, but I get all my inside info from your blog. So the squid is a fibbin. :)

squidkid
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Rumor from the barber? Or a rumor from a reliable source?

Mike Bires of the Beaver County Times tweeted: "Last week we speculated that Mike Wallace might end his holdout this week, maybe as early as today . I've been told he's already in town."

i dont know if this guy is reliable or if he cuts hair............

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I predicted this date a while back (because they broke camp in Latrobe on Friday, had a game at Heinz on Sunday, then resumed regular practices at the team's south side HQ today). I'm too lazy to look up the old thread though.

pittpete
08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
lazy bastage....:D
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/37983-Wallace-Predictions-Play-the-game-amp-go-on-record-here

steelz09
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I predicted this date a while back (because they broke camp in Latrobe on Friday, had a game at Heinz on Sunday, then resumed regular practices at the team's south side HQ today). I'm too lazy to look up the old thread though.

I'm starting to think Ruthless is actually Colbert in disguise

Pops8
08-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm starting to think Ruthless is actually Colbert in disguise

nah. He just does Wallace's hair.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM
nah. He just does Wallace's hair.

My mother is a hairdresser, after all...maybe she suggested to Ryan Clark to get that Wallace-like pointy-do.

Shawn
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Mike Bires of the Beaver County Times tweeted: "Last week we speculated that Mike Wallace might end his holdout this week, maybe as early as today . I've been told he's already in town."

i dont know if this guy is reliable or if he cuts hair............

:lol:

Sometimes the guy that cuts hair is indeed reliable.

pfelix73
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I was wondering about this week as well. Why go through camp when you don't have to?

Shawn
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I was wondering about this week as well. Why go through camp when you don't have to?

Because he needs to learn the offense, so that he get the big payday he so desires?

squidkid
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM

to learn the offense
to be a team player
to negotiate a contract
to not alienate yourself from former teammate and fans
to show loyalty to the organization that showed you loyalty
to get better
to be a leader
to not be considered soft and lazy
.......................so squidkid wouldnt view him as a POS

SteelBucks
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
to learn the offense
to be a team player
to negotiate a contract
to not alienate yourself from former teammate and fans
to show loyalty to the organization that showed you loyalty
to get better
to be a leader
to not be considered soft and lazy
.......................so squidkid wouldnt view him as a POS

The kid better come in ready to play and not follow DeSean Jackson's lead. (Jackson admitted that he didn't give 100% last season because he didn't want to get injured before signing a new contract.)

D Rock
08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
The kid better come in ready to play and not follow DeSean Jackson's lead. (Jackson admitted that he didn't give 100% last season because he didn't want to get injured before signing a new contract.)

not giving 100% is the easiest way to get hurt.

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Source: Wallace to return to Steelers this weekend

August 21, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/233/748/mike-wallace_420.jpg

The Steelers expect that Mike Wallace will arrive back in Pittsburgh this weekend and sign his one-year contract after they return from their third preseason game in Buffalo, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers play Saturday night in Buffalo. Presumably Wallace would be eligible to play in their final preseason game against Carolina Aug. 30 at Heinz Field, but whether he will or not remains unknown. The Steelers have off on Sunday after their game against Buffalo and will have only two real days of practice before they finish up the preseason against the Panthers.

However, reporting this weekend would give the Pro Bowl wide receiver two weeks to practice and prepare for the regular-season opener in Denver Sept. 9. It also could reopen negotiations on a multiple-year deal between Wallace and the Steelers, talks that ended when he did not report for the start of training camp July 25. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular-season begins. So if Wallace signs his one-year tender Sunday or Monday, it would give them less than two weeks to work on a multiple-year deal with him.

Those negotiations had been ongoing after no other team made him a contract offer as a restricted free agent, a period that ended in April. Wallace's rights then reverted back to the Steelers exclusively, but he has not yet signed the one-year tender of $2.742 million they offered him. After Wallace declined to sign it and did not report to camp, the Steelers turned to another wide receiver, Antonio Brown. Their 2011 team MVP agreed to a six-year, $42.5 million contract just two days into training camp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-to-return-to-steelers-this-weekend-649875/#ixzz24CIZztMz

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 08:20 PM
i remember ruthless making the prediction and i've been hanging my hat on his words. i also heard from my daughters teacher that lives next to a mail man that is a second cousin to the garbage mans uncle whom married a girl with 11 toes that was disqualified from a dancing contest that was once run by an ex-vending machine repairman that knows a man that walks his dog in the early mornings that seen a car that looks like Mike Wallaces car, driving through his neighborhood.

So it's got to be true that Wallace is in town.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Mike Wallace still unsigned, but maybe not for long

Steelers wide receiver expected to return to Pittsburgh soon

UPDATED Aug 25, 2012

PITTSBURGH —
Mike Wallace plans to come to Pittsburgh this weekend and sign his restricted free agent tender with the Steelers, according to reports by the NFL Network and the Post-Gazette.

Thousands of Steelers fans spent Friday night at Latrobe Memorial Stadium for the annual Steelers Night Practice. It's a chance for the fans to get closer than ever to some of their favorite players.

In Coach Mike Tomlin's postgame news conference Saturday night, he was asked if there was any update on Wallace. He replied, "None."

If Wallace does sign this weekend, he will be eligible to play in the Steelers' final preseason game Thursday night at Heinz Field.

Besides getting Wallace back to practice, the move would give him and the Steelers more time to negotiate a long-term deal, since the Steelers don't normally engage in contract talks during the regular season.

A Pro Bowl wide receiver last season, Wallace missed offseason training activities and training camp at Saint Vincent College while his $2.7 million tender for the 2012 season went unsigned.

"Obviously, we have a desire for him to be here," Tomlin said at the start of camp. "We want him to be part of this thing, both short-term and long-term."

Wallace is "in the best shape he's ever been," according to cornerback Keenan Lewis, a former high school teammate who worked out with him over the summer in the New Orleans area.

"He's the lead dog, so, when he comes in, I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot of time set aside for him to get up to speed. We're not worried about that. Whenever Mike gets here, he'll be ready to roll," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said earlier this month.

While the Wallace situation dragged on, the Steelers signed receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year contract extension worth more than $42 million.

http://www.wtae.com/sports/steelers/Mike-Wallace-still-unsigned-but-maybe-not-for-long/-/11793880/15713584/-/kj5nnf/-/index.html#ixzz24hHH00Ux

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Can he, uhmm, block?

SteelCrazy
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Is he waiting to sign so he doesnt have to play Thursday (think they have to be signed 3 days before actual participation) or is all of this Wallace is going to sign BS?

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Steelers’ Wallace’s learning curve shouldn’t be steep

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, September 3, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=f4AWO hAFvRgVapb9m5GEUc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsNHHdAeDrf9zI 2c9Ds9aIxWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers reciever Mike Wallace at practice for the first time this season on the South Side on Monday, Sept. 3, 2012

Better than average

Mike Wallace’s yards-per-catch average and NFL ranking (based on an average of at least one reception per game).

2011 — 20th, 16.6 yards (72 catches, 1,193 yards)

2010 — 2nd, 21.0 yards (60 catches, 1,257 yards)

2009 — 1st, 19.4 yards (39 catches, 756 yards)

A Mike Wallace-only minicamp rapidly prepared the Steelers’ wide receiver to get up and running for his first practice since last season.

Despite Wallace’s absence from training camp in Latrobe and every other team activity since the end of last season, his teammates expect Wallace to run with the starters Sunday night in Denver.

“I think he’ll be in there quite a bit,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Monday.

The reasoning is simple. No playbook study or video-watching session can prepare a player to run as fast as Wallace does — he was timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash in college — and it’s obvious the Steelers’ offense is much less scary without Wallace outrunning defenders downfield.

“It’s the one thing we were missing,” safety Ryan Clark said.

Wallace practiced Monday for the first time since ending a 35-day holdout that began when he didn’t get a new contract by the start of camp July 25. According to Wallace, he rotated in with the other receivers, much like he would any other practice.

The big question as Wallace sat out was how long it would take him to get comfortable with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s playbook, one that his teammates say is substantially different from that of former coordinator Bruce Arians’.

Rather than wait out his teammates’ three-day weekend break that started after their preseason game against Carolina on Thursday, Wallace — who reported last Tuesday — showed up at the Steelers’ practice complex Friday and Saturday to get a condensed version.

The sessions were so long and intense, Wallace said, that wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery allowed him only a few minutes off for lunch before they resumed work. Wallace gave Montgomery only Sunday off so the assistant could have one day with his wife and children.

“He gave me a big jump with that,” Wallace said. “Coach is always a good person about that. He loves working anyway. He didn’t want me to really go home (over the weekend), so he was in there, keeping me. … Those days, those hours really helped me and I appreciate that a lot.”

Wallace picked up so much during the cram course, he was comfortable with all of the play calls Monday. Wallace and Montgomery also talked periodically while Wallace trained in Orlando this summer with conditioning expert Tom Shaw.

“It’s really the terminology (that’s different),” Wallace said. “There’s not too much (different) as far as the plays. Once you’re in the NFL, I think all that stuff starts to run together. Of course, you have a couple of different plays, but I feel like the terminology is the main thing. I like where I am right now.”

Then Wallace smiled and said, “His (Montgomery’s) job depends on me, so he wants me to be up to speed.”

The Steelers’ season might depend on whether Wallace can return to being the big-play receiver he was for most of his first three NFL campaigns, when he averaged at least 16.6 yards per catch every season. But while Wallace started last season with three consecutive 100-yard receiving games, he had only one more the rest of the season.

Wallace will feel more comfortable if he can practice Wednesday — after the game plan is installed — with as little trouble as he experienced Monday. He doesn’t think Haley will hold back any of his playbook just because Wallace wasn’t there in Latrobe learning it with the other receivers.

“I’ve got to know everything. I can’t just run down the field,” Wallace said. “I have to be able to do short (routes), long, and it was a good day for me. … I don’t think they have to hold back too much.”

Roethlisberger said how much Wallace plays Sunday depends on several variables.

“How’s he practicing? How’s his wind? What’s the call? I’m sure there are plays (he’ll miss), he’s not going to be able to play every play — no one does,” Roethlisberger said.

Wallace has until Sunday to work out a new multiyear contract. Even if he doesn’t sign, the Steelers could designate him as their franchise player and bring back yet again next season. For now, he insists that isn’t on his mind.

“It’s fun being with these guys,” Wallace said. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Even if the one place he wants to be was the one place he couldn’t be found until last week.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2529696-85/wallace-season-steelers-monday-yards-montgomery-plays-practice-run-sunday#ixzz25RtkXf25