PDA

View Full Version : It is time to let Charlie Batch go!!!

Dee Dub
08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Leftwich is the clear better back-up to Ben so why do we need a 37 year old number 3 who really isnt that good at all? Keep Jerrod Johnson and develop him. He's big, strong, athletic, and has a strong arm. All he needs is to be developed and as the number 3 you can do exactly that. Please cut Charlie Batch.

papillon
08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Leftwich is the clear better back-up to Ben so why do we need a 37 year old number 3 who really isnt that good at all? Keep Jerrod Johnson and develop him. He's big, strong, athletic, and has a strong arm. All he needs is to be developed and as the number 3 you can do exactly that. Please cut Charlie Batch.

Yup, it's time to let the home town product go and get on with his life's work. He's had a good run in Pittsburgh, but Johnson won't make it off the PS. It's time to get younger at backup quarterback.

Pappy

steelz09
08-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Yup, it's time to let the home town product go and get on with his life's work. He's had a good run in Pittsburgh, but Johnson won't make it off the PS. It's time to get younger at backup quarterback.

Pappy

Yea, it's time to let Batch move on to the next phase of his career.... a QB coach.

lloydroid
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
He looked old as sh--t. All rickety and stuff. Even if he could still play, he will be knocked out with an injury within a game or 2. So what's the point? Move on. Develop the young kid. If Ben goes down, you know Leftwich will also go down in a game or 3 he just sits back there and takes direct blasts; he always has. We really need Ben to stay healthy, to some degree. This team goes no where without #7.

fezziwig
08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I didn't see him play but for a guy that doesn't get to practice with the team as they said, what do you guys expect ? To hell with the young guys that just want to tuck the ball away and run with it. If your going to develope a Qb as a back up then, develope him. Get one that is smart and can at least make a pass. Not guys that run at the first sign of trouble because they can't do their check downs or read defenses or never was a passing qb in college.
Batch doesn't get injured any more than Leftwich does and for that matter, Ben also.

skyhawk
08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't see any difference with Charlie Batch this year. He had some good crisp throws and was moving well. What are you seeing I am not. THat being said I do like the J Johnson kid.

There is a reason Charlie has been with the team for so long, and with Arians gone he is still a major advantage in the locker room and on the sideline and can still play if needed.

Steel Life
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Charlie's passes had no zip & when flushed from the pocket he seemed panicked. Johnson showed he could gun it in there & was willing to get some yardage when things broke down. There comes a time when age & lack of use come into play & right now it looks like Batch is done.

Ghost
08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Its not as if he's going to sign with another team. Go with 2 if you don't think J. Johnson has any potential. You can always call Batch back. We should have seen his last snaps at the QB position this past pre-season game. There's no reason to waste any more time.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-21-2012, 11:03 AM
If JJ continues to have showings like he did against the Colts, you have to consider moving on without Batch. I am only saying Batch because I believe he would remain on the street if released. I believe Lefty would have a better system fit somewhere and may get picked up.

To be totally honest, I don't think either Batch or Lefty have distinguished themsleves as the clear #2. If JJ continues to show promise, I think the decision of keeping Lefty or Batch will be more difficult than keeping JJ as the #3. The long term benefit of having JJ sit at #3 and learn far exceeds having Batch & Lefty sit on the roster at #2 & #3.

By the way, did anyone notice JJ looks to be 2-3 inches taller than BB?

Shawn
08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
It's long past time. It was time 3 years ago.

Shawn
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Charlie's passes had no zip & when flushed from the pocket he seemed panicked. Johnson showed he could gun it in there & was willing to get some yardage when things broke down. There comes a time when age & lack of use come into play & right now it looks like Batch is done.

That is the Charlie I noticed as well.

aggiebones
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
We've done this about 4-5 times.
We are ready to cut Batch or do cut him, then someone gets hurt and he makes the team. The same will hold true this year. No guarantee for him to make the squad, but he's essentially our 4th QB. I'd all but guarantee a similar pattern to before when Dixon was 3rd and Lefty was 2nd. Someone gets hurt, they call Charlie. Nothing new this year for Batch, just different other players. Noone else will pick up Batch and he lives in Pittsburgh....and needs money

Ben
Lefty
Jerod
------
Batch on speed dial.

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
We are not going to develope a QB for the future so, you might as well forget about having some young kid come in here and taking Charlies spot. With the way Byron is with injuries do you really want some unknown rookie or unproven QB to take control of the team if needed ?
Keep Charlie until the Steelers see another veteran QB get the boot or come up in free agency.
How many QB's/years did we go through after Terry Bradshaw with trying to win a Super Bowl ? It took a number one draft pick of quality to get you a Super Bowl or best odds of it anyway.
I hope the Rooney's and the coaches have finally figured out, stop trying to make a silk purse out of sows ear. Keep Batch, Byron and Ben and wait for some vet to lose their job.

skyhawk
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
We are not going to develope a QB for the future so, you might as well forget about having some young kid come in here and taking Charlies spot. With the way Byron is with injuries do you really want some unknown rookie or unproven QB to take control of the team if needed ?
Keep Charlie until the Steelers see another veteran QB get the boot or come up in free agency.
How many QB's/years did we go through after Terry Bradshaw with trying to win a Super Bowl ? It took a number one draft pick of quality to get you a Super Bowl or best odds of it anyway.
I hope the Rooney's and the coaches have finally figured out, stop trying to make a silk purse out of sows ear. Keep Batch, Byron and Ben and wait for some vet to lose their job.

I agree!! I wish we could keep all 4 of them ;) Or, dump Leftwich since he is injury prone?

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
All four would be nice and I agree too. If Ben had only one backup I would rather it be Batch.

Oviedo
08-21-2012, 04:57 PM
All four would be nice and I agree too. If Ben had only one backup I would rather it be Batch.

Keep Batch as a coach and keep Johnson as a player. Batch's value is his brain not his physical capabilities which are below marginal now at 37. He had a good run. Go out with grace.

ikestops85
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM

I predict Jason Cambell will be our next veteran QB once the Bears show him the door.

fezziwig
08-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I predict Jason Cambell will be our next veteran QB once the Bears show him the door.

I think your on to something. Who did the Steelers have this off season and let him go quickly ? I think he was a raven at one time.

ramblinjim
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Jason Campbell showed flashes of being a decent quarterback but he was ruined by the Redskins and by the Raiders. The Redskins are a disaster and will be till Snyder calms down and the Raiders are, well the Raiders. If Campbell came to the Steelers, I would be happy to see it. I always felt bad for him here in DC, at least from a football perspective.

Shawn
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM

If you are asking whether I would rather have Batch or Johnson as my starting QB that is an easy decision for me...Johnson. At least he can move out of the pocket, make some plays with his legs and has a cannon arm. Batch is a statue with a noodle arm who should have retired 3 seasons ago.

aggiebones
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Not sure why noone acknowledges that batch will be cut and then kept on speed dial. We have done it before when Dixon was here and he sucked.

I wouldn't mind changing leftwich out for Campbell however. But if Johnson keeps doing what he is doing, then he will be the third quarter back

fezziwig
08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Charlie still has another season in him. I'll take experience, a calm presence, leaderhip over an unknown anytime.

aggiebones
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
You say that, but by cutting him, we don't lose him. If Ben or Lefty get hurt, then we bring him back. But Jerod will get picked up if he keeps performing.

pittpete
08-23-2012, 12:03 AM
You say that, but by cutting him, we don't lose him. If Ben or Lefty get hurt, then we bring him back. But Jerod will get picked up if he keeps performing.

i agree bud