PDA

View Full Version : Foster Surprised Me at RT

flippy
08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I still don't think Foster's got the feet to play tackle, but he didn't look too bad out there. Seems we could use him there in a pinch. And that could make Essex less valuable.

Foster can now back up 3 spots. Bronko can back up 3 spots. And Max and Gilbert can play both tackle positions.

Seems we may not need Essex who can't play any position well. Or as Dukie says, has Positional Mediocrity.

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Fosters value is as a back-up who can play multiple positions. Still don't want him out there every play because he then gets exposed. He is a valuable member of the roster like other back-ups.

Shoe
08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Foster is a crafty guy. He may be an oaf, but he tends to make up for it with whatever it is he does to get the job done... which he seems to do more often than not. He is a sort-of a poorman's Max Starks (if there is such a thing). Oafish, lumbering, you have no idea how they'll be able to do the job, but they seem to get it done.

All things being equal, he or Starks (depending upon if he's back from his injury) rounds out our five best linemen (along with Gilbert, Colon, Pouncey, and DeCastro).

Eddie Spaghetti
08-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Fosters value is as a back-up who can play multiple positions. Still don't want him out there every play because he then gets exposed. He is a valuable member of the roster like other back-ups.

finally!!!

even though you had beachum pushing him off the roster a couple weeks ago, glad to see you have come around!!!

foster has already played RT in a pinch. He got 2 or 3 series there against the jets in the AFCCG no less.

hard worker, team guy, plays to the whistle and a little beyond sometimes. Not a pro bowl caliber guy, but the steelers have won a lot of games with ramon in the starting lineup.

skyhawk
08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Foster played RT against the Colt's 2nd and third stringers. Not sure he will ever play there unless someone goes down (which we all know will happen as in the previous TWO seasons!)

NorthCoast
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
take a Foster over a Kemo any day of the week...

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 08:17 PM
finally!!!

even though you had beachum pushing him off the roster a couple weeks ago, glad to see you have come around!!!

foster has already played RT in a pinch. He got 2 or 3 series there against the jets in the AFCCG no less.

hard worker, team guy, plays to the whistle and a little beyond sometimes. Not a pro bowl caliber guy, but the steelers have won a lot of games with ramon in the starting lineup.

You're late to the party. I said last season that Foster had a role as a back up. I never believed he could be an effective starter. Pretty much how it has played out.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
You're late to the party. I said last season that Foster had a role as a back up. I never believed he could be an effective starter. Pretty much how it has played out.

actually, that's not how it played out at all. They went to the SB with him playing a solid role. How is that not effective? Kemo gave up the big pressure that ultimately cost them the game. Foster far outplayed him for the season at 1/5 the salary.

you have bashed this kid from day 1 as being unworthy of an NFL roster. It simply wasnt true.

DukieBoy
08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I noticed Foster a few times last night looking effective at RT, and saw him hustling way downfield on Brown's TD. Did not hear or see any negatives on him last night.

flippy
08-20-2012, 08:46 PM
actually, that's not how it played out at all. They went to the SB with him playing a solid role. How is that not effective? Kemo gave up the big pressure that ultimately cost them the game. Foster far outplayed him for the season at 1/5 the salary.

you have bashed this kid from day 1 as being unworthy of an NFL roster. It simply wasnt true.

i think it's fair to say foster has been a nice surprise. i can see why someone would knock his ability. he's kinda slow and lumbering. he is a liability in pass pro. but he also does a nice job run blocking.

i also get rooting for the underdog. so i like seeing a guy like this be successful. and i really was expecting a train wreck at RT. moving a slow footed G to T seems like it should be a recipe for disaster. but it worked.

sometime i wonder if our OLine standards are just low watching the guys we put on the field week in and week out. so anything better than mediocre looks great to us?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Foster played RT against the Colt's 2nd and third stringers. Not sure he will ever play there unless someone goes down (which we all know will happen as in the previous TWO seasons!)

Foster started at RT against the Colts....and held his own against the Colts starters.

skyhawk
08-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Foster started at RT against the Colts....and held his own against the Colts starters.

Yep, my bad. I saw my error shortly after. I may have been thinking Essex. He played a couple different positions. I am a fan of Foster. He usually gets it done and is becoming a veteran on this line.