PDA

View Full Version : With Cuts coming...who impressed tonight?

Steel Life
08-19-2012, 11:40 PM
In my opinion...WR Gilreath, RB Ford, OL Lee, OLB Robinson, QB Johnson, DBs Brown, Golden & Victorian, K Hrapmann (Suisy should be nervous).

Not impressive - OLs Essex, Adams & Beachum, WR Clemons, DBs Rodgers-Cromartie & McFadden, LB Foote, TE Paulson (especially compared to how good the Colts' TE Whalen looked tonight), the delayed draws.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2012, 12:15 AM
definitely WR David Gilreath, he may have just moved into the #5 WR position with tonight's performance. :tt2

Steelers WR David Gilreath Impresses in Steelers 26-24 Win over Indianapolis Colts

by Neal Coolong on Aug 19, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5099741/150500695_extra_large.jpg

It was a night to remember for deep roster hopeful WR David Gilreath.

Mired toward the bottom of an underachieving pile of potential fifth receivers, Gilreath vaulted himself to the top of that competition in the second half of Pittsburgh's 26-24 win over Indianapolis in Pittsburgh Sunday night.

His first catch, a 41-yarder from QB Charlie Batch on 3rd-and-11, extended a drive that led to a Danny Hrapmann field goal.

He made two more catches in the fourth quarter - both on third down, and one for 24 yards from QB Jerrod Johnson on 3rd-and-16 - as the Steelers came from behind to get their first preseason victory.

In a game where the Steelers offense mustered just one touchdown, a 57-yard shock of electricity by Antonio Brown, the Steelers back-up players struggled quite a bit. It was another poor outing by second-round pick OT Mike Adams, who surrendered another 2.5 sacks and was nearly bowled over by a third-string Colts pass rusher on another play.

While RB Baron Batch did not rack up yards or make any big plays with the ball, he ran noticeably harder in this game compared to the Steelers first preseason game. He also got way down field on Brown's touchdown, making a block that could have been the last Colts attempt to prevent him from scoring.

RB Chris Rainey, the hero from the first game, fumbled on his first touch and took a significant hit on the play. He left the field for a few plays. He returned but did not make a major impact rushing or receiving.

Johnson, on the other hand, looked significantly better, and may have given himself a chance to unseat veteran third-string QB Batch. He was 4-for-5 passing, including the big gainer to Gilreath, and led the Steelers to the game-winning field goal with less than a minute to play.

The Steelers' starting defense flummoxed rookie QB Andrew Luck for the first portion of the game, leading to a few poor throws through strong coverage and pressure. Luck regained his composure and carved the Steelers - mostly consisting of their non-injured starters - up for much of the second quarter. He led the Colts to two touchdown drives and a last-second field goal despite throwing two interceptions.

One of those picks - the one returned for a touchdown by CB Ike Taylor - was on him. The other was a dropped pass directly in the receiver's hands that he tipped in the air. CB Cortez Allen plucked it out of the air for the turnover.

The Steelers will travel to Buffalo for their third preseason game Aug. 25.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/19/3254666/steelers-game-analysis-david-gilreath-depth-chart-injury-report-indianapolis-colts

D Rock
08-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I had to miss the 2nd half...What were some of the highlights?

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Gilreath is Digest Player of The Week

Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley had said some positive things about first-year wide receiver David Gilreath during the time the team spent at Saint Vincent College, but the Steelers were waiting to see him do something in a preseason game. Gilreath didn’t play in the preseason opener against the Eagles in Philadelphia because of an infection, and so the game against the Indianapolis Colts was going to be his first chance to impress inside a stadium.

Gilreath didn’t disappoint. He finished with a team-leading four catches for 78 yards, and he made every one of them count. He caught a 41-yard pass to convert a third-and-11 and then later in the same possession caught one for 7 yards to convert a third-and-5. That drive ended in a field goal that brought the Steelers within 24-20.

Then in the fourth quarter, Gilreath’s 24-yard reception converted a third-and-16, and that drive ended in another field goal to get the Steelers to within 24-23. And then on the Steelers’ final possession, Gilreath caught a 6-yard pass to convert a third-and-5, and the drive ended with the field goal that ended up giving the Steelers a 26-24 win.

Gilreath is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Daniel Hrapmann, who kicked all of those field goals – from 25, 39, 43 and 22 yards; Ike Taylor, who had one tackle, an interception that he returned 49 yards for a touchdown, and two passes defensed; Antonio Brown, who turned a quick sideline screen pass into a 57-yard touchdown and added an 18-yard catch that converted a third-and-11 in the first quarter; Mortty Ivy, who had two special teams tackles and blocked a punt; and Jonathan Dwyer, who started at halfback and led the team in rushing with 43 yards in eight carries.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Gilreath-is-Digest-Player-of-The-Week/0f025af4-5b80-46c6-8630-aac54f0a3741

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Gilreath went a long way to making the roster last night. Adams went a long way to confirming he is not ready to start in the NFL and now we have to hope Max Starks can be ready for Game #1 and stay healthy.

Golden seem like a keeper at Safety. Robinson seems like a keeper at OLB as far as being a pass rusher but Collingsworth said Tomlin made a comment that "he was a one trick pony who can get after the QB but can't drop into coverage or set the edge." Not sure what to make of that but our other "one trick pony" did OK and still may if he ever reports.

Beachum has been disappointing. I really thought from the early camp reports that he may sneak onto the roster. He is PS material. Game just seems too fast for him right now.

Who is Victorian? Never noticed.

flippy
08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Victorian's my new project I'm rooting for. Let's go 35.

flippy
08-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Not impressive:

Beachum, Essex, half our OLine at the end of the game that let 2 Colts jump over them to block a kick and gave nearly no effort of the final drive, Batch, Batch, and Curtis Brown who's taken the 10 yard cushion to a new level with his 10 yard cushion all over the field.

phillyesq
08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Gilreath went a long way to making the roster last night. Adams went a long way to confirming he is not ready to start in the NFL and now we have to hope Max Starks can be ready for Game #1 and stay healthy.

Golden seem like a keeper at Safety. Robinson seems like a keeper at OLB as far as being a pass rusher but Collingsworth said Tomlin made a comment that "he was a one trick pony who can get after the QB but can't drop into coverage or set the edge." Not sure what to make of that but our other "one trick pony" did OK and still may if he ever reports.

Beachum has been disappointing. I really thought from the early camp reports that he may sneak onto the roster. He is PS material. Game just seems too fast for him right now.

Who is Victorian? Never noticed.

Victorian is the backup DB who grabbed a pick. He almost had a pick against the Eagles as well. So far, in a small sample size, he may be the most impressive of those competing for the #5 CB job, which isn't saying much.

Robinson is an interesting case. Sounds like Tomlin challenged him to step up and play well against the run, and he did. However, I'm not sure if the Steelers will be able to carry a backup OLB that does not play special teams. Robinson not playing special teams does, however, make it more likely that he could be kept on the PS.

squidkid
08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
number 39 sucked

feltdizz
08-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Gilreath is a beast... This is why Wallace needs to get his but in camp. I'm not crowning Gilreath but it sure seems like we have a knack for finding WR talent. This kid reminds me of Randle El...

flippy
08-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Gilreath is a beast... This is why Wallace needs to get his but in camp. I'm not crowning Gilreath but it sure seems like we have a knack for finding WR talent. This kid reminds me of Randle El...

Not sure I'd call a 169 lb NFLer a beast :) But he does have a knack for getting open.

But this kid is about 3-4 inches taller and 15-20 lbs lighter than Rainey.

He's a smurf next to most of us.

Chucktownsteeler
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Not sure I'd call a 169 lb NFLer a beast :) But he does have a knack for getting open.

But this kid is about 3-4 inches taller and 15-20 lbs lighter than Rainey.

He's a smurf next to most of us.

He must be really light, Rainey weighs in at 178 lbs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
If you closed your eyes and listened to the official announce: "Holding.....number 68.....offense.......ten yard penalty, still second down" it brought back so many memories.

Impressed - obiviously Gilreath, I think that he secured the fifth WR job with a combination of him looking good and nobody else showing anything.

Ivy is the almost forgotten guy from last year's TC but he was one of those camp sensations who looked like he could make the team before fading into oblivion on the PS. Maybe he steps in this year.

J. Johnson has shown enough in my eyes to leapfrog Batch to #3. I'll admit to being a long time Batch detractor (it is just time to move on, become a QB coach or something but not an active player) but the kid showed enough poise to tell us that if we are down to our third stringer then let him play.

Disappointed - Beachum got quite the buzz during camp, but he is flaming out miserably

McFadden should be cut after whatever he was trying to do on that sideline reception that turned a 5 yarder into 20 something yards. I can't remember seeing a DB misplay anything that badly......ever.

And special props to our boy Ike for............CATCHING A BALL THAT HIT HIS HANDS!!!!!!!!! :Beer

phillyesq
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Good writeup here:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/20/3254963/pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-position-battle-running-backs-jonathan-dwyer-baron-batch-chris-rainey (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/20/3254963/pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-position-battle-running-backs-jonathan-dwyer-baron-batch-chris-rainey)

Shoe
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't necessarily give that much stock into preseason game performance. This kid showed how plucky he is, but from what I understand, Toney Clemons has potential. I would hate to lose a guy with potential, for a plucky but limited guy.

I was disappointed by the defense, giving up long drives to Indy 1st team. I know it's preseason (and as such--I wonder scheme-wise what/if anything we held back), but to watch Luck drive them right down (after each INT) let some air out of the game to me.

papillon
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't necessarily give that much stock into preseason game performance. This kid showed how plucky he is, but from what I understand, Toney Clemons has potential. I would hate to lose a guy with potential, for a plucky but limited guy.

I was disappointed by the defense, giving up long drives to Indy 1st team. I know it's preseason (and as such--I wonder scheme-wise what/if anything we held back), but to watch Luck drive them right down (after each INT) let some air out of the game to me.

Yea, I agree with you about the defense, on the other hand, Luck looks like the real deal. The Colts may have found lightning in a bottle twice with quarterbacks. As much as I hated to see what Luck did against the defense (1st and 2nd teams), it was good to see a quarterback that comes into the league with some notoriety actually play up to a level that you would expect. I hope he does well.

Pappy

ikestops85
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I was most impressed by the new running back. I think his name is Jonathan Dwyer. ;)

Okay, Dwyer might not be new but that's the first time I saw him run like an NFL RB. The guy impressed me last night. I hope he keeps it up.

I'm most disappointed in Essex. The guy was a revolving door playing against 3rd stringers. Adams, who wasn't any better, is at least a rookie and hopefully can learn from his mistakes but Essex's time needs to be over. Position flexibility doesn't mean squat if you play all positions badly.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm most disappointed in Essex. The guy was a revolving door playing against 3rd stringers. Adams, who wasn't any better, is at least a rookie and hopefully can learn from his mistakes but Essex's time needs to be over. Position flexibility doesn't mean squat if you play all positions badly.

Essux's best position is Left Out. ;)

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
I was most impressed by the new running back. I think his name is Jonathan Dwyer. ;)

Okay, Dwyer might not be new but that's the first time I saw him run like an NFL RB. The guy impressed me last night. I hope he keeps it up.

The way Essex and Adams are playing it might be prudent to resign Jon Scott if he is still available. He never looked as bad as those two have.

flippy
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
The way Essex and Adams are playing it might be prudent to resign Jon Scott if he is still available. He never looked as bad as those two have.

And Kemo never looked as bad a Beachum.

Wonder if Koogs is the real problem?

Pops8
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
And special props to our boy Ike for............CATCHING A BALL THAT HIT HIS HANDS!!!!!!!!! :Beer

Too bad he wasted his annual INT in preseason.

I was actually fairly impressed with Dwyer. Maybe he will finally become the back I had hoped he could become, but I'm not holding my breath.

Despite some nice plays, our Defense has issues.

I actually like what Haley was doing with that little overload or bunch package. He had some interesting runs and also tried to set up some passes out of it. It actually looked like some thought went into running more than just giving it lip service. Hopefully it will ultimately translate into more points in the red zone.

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
And Kemo never looked as bad a Beachum.

Wonder if Koogs is the real problem?

I hope not, but also don't forget he got rid of Urbik who appears to be a solid starter in Buffalo. Plus he brought in Jon Scott. How'd that work out?

NorthCoast
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Essex was horrendous. Never saw a lineman so overpowered. If his only strong point is position flexibility then give me inflexibility.

steelblood
08-21-2012, 08:23 AM
I thought Gilreath, Robinson (more pressure, even if he is a one trick pony), Ford, Dwyer, and Jerrod Johnson all looked good.

Ta'Amu was too easily pushed out on several plays, Beachum looks awful, CBs Frederick and Curtis Brown were terrible.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I thought Gilreath, Robinson (more pressure, even if he is a one trick pony), Ford, Dwyer, and Jerrod Johnson all looked good.

Ta'Amu was too easily pushed out on several plays, Beachum looks awful, CBs Frederick and Curtis Brown were terrible.

Brown has been a disappointment. Last year, some of y'all were calling for Brown to be starting opposite Ike, saying things like "he just might be the best CB on the roster." But if not for his ST contributions, I think he'd be in danger of getting cut.

feltdizz
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Yea, I agree with you about the defense, on the other hand, Luck looks like the real deal. The Colts may have found lightning in a bottle twice with quarterbacks. As much as I hated to see what Luck did against the defense (1st and 2nd teams), it was good to see a quarterback that comes into the league with some notoriety actually play up to a level that you would expect. I hope he does well.

Pappy

He's aiight... but I think Lebeau did him a favor by calling off the dogs.

phillyesq
08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Brown has been a disappointment. Last year, some of y'all were calling for Brown to be starting opposite Ike, saying things like "he just might be the best CB on the roster." But if not for his ST contributions, I think he'd be in danger of getting cut.

Yeah, Brown has been among the most disappointing players to this point of the preseason. If not for his pedigree and special teams ability, combined with the lack of depth behind him, his spot could be in jeopardy, but I think he'll get at least one more year and hopefully show that his coverage ability is better than what we've seen so far.

Shawn
08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I think Golden is the most impressive bubble guy of the preseason.

D Rock
08-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah, Brown has been among the most disappointing players to this point of the preseason. If not for his pedigree and special teams ability, combined with the lack of depth behind him, his spot could be in jeopardy, but I think he'll get at least one more year and hopefully show that his coverage ability is better than what we've seen so far.

His career has been very Keenan Lewis-eque to this point. Maybe, hopefully, he just needs time.

NW Steeler
08-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Ford looked like a hybrid Bettis/Foster. Very nimble for a tank. Where the hell did we find him?

Shawn
08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
NW what the heck is up with your sig? That is borderline NSFW...might wanna warn someone.

NW Steeler
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
NW what the heck is up with your sig? That is borderline NSFW...might wanna warn someone.

Sorry - it was formerly just a pic until this site changed, now its obviously a link. I'll delete it.

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
In my opinion...WR Gilreath, RB Ford, OL Lee, OLB Robinson, QB Johnson, DBs Brown, Golden & Victorian, K Hrapmann (Suisy should be nervous).

Not impressive - OLs Essex, Adams & Beachum, WR Clemons, DBs Rodgers-Cromartie & McFadden, LB Foote, TE Paulson (especially compared to how good the Colts' TE Whalen looked tonight), the delayed draws.

Griff Whalen is a WR who played with Luck at Stanford and Indy, not a TE (he's listed as being 5'11" 185 lbs.).

The TE who played with Luck at Stanford and Indy is 2nd round pick Coby Fleener (he's listed as being 6'6" 247 lbs.).