PDA

View Full Version : Chris Carter ready to fill Harrison's void at OLB

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Carter ready to fill Harrison's void

Thu Aug 16, 2012.
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/2f/c2fbc420-bfc4-57ca-bac0-0c3eb313bb20/502c421dc3b09.preview-300.jpg

Steelers linebacker Chris Carter (54) is likely to replace James Harrison at least for the start of the regular season.

LATROBE – After practice, Chris Carter felt the need to run a few extra sprints. He’s willing to do anything to prove he’s a capable fill-in for James Harrison.

Once he finished running, he headed off the field toward the locker room, only to be stopped by a handful of reporters. As sweat dripped down his face, Carter learned that he’ll continue playing right outside linebacker on the Steelers’ first-team defense for at least the next two weeks.

It wasn’t until early Wednesday evening that Carter found out that Harrison had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair an irritation behind his knee cap that’s been bothering him for months.

“If that’s the case, it’s the first time I’m hearing about it,” Carter said of the scope performed on Harrison’s knee. “But I’m willing to do whatever (the coaches) deem necessary. I have a lot to live up to because the standard is the standard.”

For the past five years, Harrison’s standard has been all-star production. He’s on the short list of most dominating and menacing linebackers in the NFL. The Steelers hope Harrison will continue to make plays this year at age 34. But right now, they just aren’t sure when that will happen.

Harrison missed all of the off-season workouts during the spring and he’s been on the physically unable to perform list since the start of training camp.

“It shouldn’t be long,” coach Mike Tomlin said of Harrison’s return.

In the meantime, Carter, a 23-year-old second-year pro will remain at Harrison’s customary spot.

Last year, when Harrison missed four games with a broken bone in his eye socket, inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons moved to the outside. Later in the year when Harrison was suspended by the NFL for an illegal hit, it was Jason Worilds who replaced him.

This year, Timmons isn't going anywhere. He's staying on the inside. But Worilds, too, has been on the PUP list since the Steelers reported to St. Vincent College on July 25. Tomlin reiterated Wednesday that Woirlds’ status is week to week.

That means the job at ROLB is Carter’s until Harrison returns. Carter, who bulked up this year by adding close to 10 pounds of muscle through strength training, believes he can handle it.

“I’ve been doing a good job in camp. I just have to continue to build on it,” said the former Fresno State star who was taken by the Steelers in the fifth round of the 2011 draft.

Last year as a rookie, Carter hardly got on the field on game days. He played sparingly in eight games, primarily on special teams. Like other young players, his development was hampered by the NFL labor impasse.

“You have to understand, last year before our first preseason game, I only had my playbook for two weeks,” said the 6-foot-1, 248-pound Carter. “I had never seen the playbook before then. I had not met anybody on the coaching staff until we went to camp.

“But now I’m more centered. I’m more comfortable. There’s no need to stress. I have great players around me. I just have to do my job the best I can and keep improving.”

After all, Carter may be the opening-day starter if Harrison experiences any setbacks.

“Chris has represented himself well not only since he’s been here but he had a very productive off-season, OTAs and mini-camp,” Tomlin said. “He’s a second-year player, a guy that has to take that step in the manner in which we challenge all our second-year players. So far, he’s accepting that challenge.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/carter-ready-to-fill-harrison-s-void/article_7bc0f49e-8acc-5a94-8b4d-b5c293640da6.html#.UCxb9BPc8BM.twitter

Discipline of Steel
08-16-2012, 06:50 AM
This year, Timmons isn't going anywhere. He's staying on the inside.

My favorite part of the article.

8467thekraken
08-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Good. Cause you will be needed!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a lot to live up to because the standard is the standard.

My favorite part of the article. Shows that the players really buy in to what the coach tells them.

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm glad it's Chris Carter getting the shot even though it is due to injury or I guess, sorry that it is due to injuries. Anyway, I think Carter is better than Worilds because he just seems to be a little more explosive and reacts better to the play. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

steelz09
08-16-2012, 11:33 AM
The bad news: Harrison is hurt and I suspect that his years of being a Steeler are dwindling

The good news: Carter will start instead of moving Timmons to the outside.

Eich
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Good luck with that Chris Carter. That's a MASSIVE void to fill.

Shoe
08-16-2012, 02:18 PM

I believe Carter has what it takes to fill it. He certainly won't be as consistent, probably not even as consistent as Worilds might be initially. But I think he has a higher ceiling than Worilds, and thus should play ahead of him. I think Worilds is that 2nd tier of Steeler OLBs... names like Haggans and Emmons. (I would even put our all-time sack leader Gildon in that group.) Guys who are serviceable to solid, but aren't the difference-makers of the "1st tier guys"... names like Lloyd, Porter, Harrison.

Oviedo
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Many said that about Harrison when Joey Porter left.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
It will be interesting to see what the second year guys do. They came in late last year with no OTAs and were thrown into the fire. This year they all have a year of experience and a full off season of coaching under their belts.

That goes for not only Carter, but Heyward, Gilbert, Batch (missed the full season) and the two CBs as well.

Eich
08-16-2012, 03:32 PM

True and I hope Carter is the next Porter/Harrison. But there just aren't all that many Porter/Harrison's in the league. Are we lucky enought to have a 3rd in Chris Carter?

lloydroid
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
True and I hope Carter is the next Porter/Harrison. But there just aren't all that many Porter/Harrison's in the league. Are we lucky enought to have a 3rd in Chris Carter?

It is much more likely that CC will be a Haggans than a JH.

Oviedo
08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
It is much more likely that CC will be a Haggans than a JH.

OMG...we can't afford for him to be that bad. Every OLB we have on the roster right now is better than Haggens. How he started for so long is a mystery to me. The only explanation is that he is the ultimate benficiary of LeBeau's preference for players who have learned his system. The talent was never there.

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I kind of agree with all you guys. First off I agree about the second rate of players we had like Haggans, Gildon. Top guys we had were the Lloyds, Porters, Green, Woodley. I remember when Lambert had to replace a middle linebacker his rookie season and many thought he would be a flop. I can't remember whom he replaced now. Goes with Mike Wagner too. Stepped in at his rookie season and remained the starter for 10 years.
I love the comment about Worilds being possibly better at the moment but Carter eventually growing more in depth givin the chance. That's my take on him too. Remember when Chad Brown was a high draft pick but when an injury happend the coach put in Barnes ? Barnes had it together a little better than Brown at the time but when Brown came into his own, he did real well and as for Barnes, he didn't last long with the team.

Sugar
08-16-2012, 05:22 PM
99% of the LB's in the history of the NFL couldn't bring what JH did, so there's no need to put that pressure on his replacement whether it's Carter, Worilds or someone else.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I remember when Lambert had to replace a middle linebacker his rookie season and many thought he would be a flop. I can't remember whom he replaced now.

Jack Lambert replaced Henry Davis who was injured...

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 05:29 PM
JH is a freak of nature. It's no surprise to me that with his ultimate year along with Woodley that, we went to the super bowl and won it.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 10:25 PM
By Jim Wexell

SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Aug 15, 2012

CARTER IN A RUSH

Adrian Robinson was the star of the one-on-one drills Wednesday. The undrafted rookie from Temple beat left tackle Marcus Gilbert three consecutive times and then found success on the other side against Ramon Foster.

Robinson took both sides to give the tackles a speed-rush look since the Steelers don’t want to burn out Chris Carter, the man who has replaced Harrison at left outside linebacker all camp and who showed well in the first preseason game.

“He’s represented himself well, not only since he’s been here but he had a very productive offseason, OTAs and minicamp,” Tomlin said. “He’s a second-year player, a guy who has to take that step in a manner in which we challenge all of our second-year players, and thus far he’s accepting that challenge.”

Carter was asked why he looks like a different player this year over his rookie year.

“You’ve got to understand,” Carter said, “my first game against the Washington Redskins, I got my playbook two weeks before that. Other than that I never saw the playbook, I never met anybody on the staff, or anything like that. It was a big transition. It was a big tornado for me. Now I feel a lot more settled, a lot more comfortable. No need to stress. I’ve got great players around me, big-time playmakers like Troy Polamalu, guys I looked up to when I was younger. Now I get the opportunity to go make some plays with them.”

Carter wore Polamalu’s No. 43 while at Fresno State.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1211874.html

Shoe
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
OMG...we can't afford for him to be that bad. Every OLB we have on the roster right now is better than Haggens. How he started for so long is a mystery to me. The only explanation is that he is the ultimate benficiary of LeBeau's preference for players who have learned his system. The talent was never there.

A bit harsh don't you think. Guys who don't have the talent aren't SB champions who stick around for a dozen years.

Oviedo
08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
A bit harsh don't you think. Guys who don't have the talent aren't SB champions who stick around for a dozen years.

The talent statement was relative to what we expect at the OLB position, e.g. Greene, Woodley, Porter, Lloyd, Gildon (before his decline) and of course Harrison. Haggans was never in that class of OLBs.

Oviedo
08-17-2012, 08:02 AM
By Jim Wexell

SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Aug 15, 2012

CARTER IN A RUSH

Adrian Robinson was the star of the one-on-one drills Wednesday. The undrafted rookie from Temple beat left tackle Marcus Gilbert three consecutive times and then found success on the other side against Ramon Foster.

Robinson took both sides to give the tackles a speed-rush look since the Steelers don’t want to burn out Chris Carter, the man who has replaced Harrison at left outside linebacker all camp and who showed well in the first preseason game.

“He’s represented himself well, not only since he’s been here but he had a very productive offseason, OTAs and minicamp,” Tomlin said. “He’s a second-year player, a guy who has to take that step in a manner in which we challenge all of our second-year players, and thus far he’s accepting that challenge.”

Carter was asked why he looks like a different player this year over his rookie year.

“You’ve got to understand,” Carter said, “my first game against the Washington Redskins, I got my playbook two weeks before that. Other than that I never saw the playbook, I never met anybody on the staff, or anything like that. It was a big transition. It was a big tornado for me. Now I feel a lot more settled, a lot more comfortable. No need to stress. I’ve got great players around me, big-time playmakers like Troy Polamalu, guys I looked up to when I was younger. Now I get the opportunity to go make some plays with them.”

Carter wore Polamalu’s No. 43 while at Fresno State.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1211874.html

IMO it would be a mistake to waive Adrian Robinson and to try to get him back on the PS. The kid just seems to perform in every situation he is put in.

Captain Lemming
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Porter left a void. But Harrison will leave a canyon. Porter was never close to being as good as Harrison.
IMO you have LT THEN Harrison among the great 3/4 OLBers.
The only thing that will prevent Harrison from the HOF is his late start.

But for a few short years Harrison was as good as ANYBODY EVER at that position.

There are a ton of good pass rushers but NOBODY played the run AND pass close to the level of a healthy Harrison.

Just pure odds say it is VERY unlikely that we will replace Harrison with his equal.

Captain Lemming
08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I kind of agree with all you guys. First off I agree about the second rate of players we had like Haggans, Gildon. Top guys we had were the Lloyds, Porters, Green, Woodley.

Gildon gets a bad rap. He was just like Greene and Woodley. Basically standup DEs who are great pass rushers and are otherwise average.

fezziwig
08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Porter left a void. But Harrison will leave a canyon. Porter was never close to being as good as Harrison.
IMO you have LT THEN Harrison among the great 3/4 OLBers.
The only thing that will prevent Harrison from the HOF is his late start.

But for a few short years Harrison was as good as ANYBODY EVER at that position.

There are a ton of good pass rushers but NOBODY played the run AND pass close to the level of a healthy Harrison.

Just pure odds say it is VERY unlikely that we will replace Harrison with his equal.

I agree with you 100%. This will get the fur flying, I never thought Porter was that great. I've seen him get stood up runningbacks, receivers, the water boy. Maybe because he had more bark than bite is why I think he was just a bit better than good but nothing great.

Gildong was the luckiest guy I ever seen. Seemed to me more qbs ran into him than he actually managed to get to on his own. I think it was the first time his contract came up, the Steelers allowed him to test the waters and not one team even contacted his agent. They knew he was a product of the system and a sub par product at that. He should be the poster child for " Stats don't always tell the truth " Anytime I see someone in a bodycast I think of Gildon.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Harrison is the most underrated 3-4 OLB ever. The reason is that he does everything asked of such a player, and does it all at an above average to excellent level. Unlike Demarcus Ware - who only does one thing well - Harrison is a force in the run game. Teams try to cover him up with one or two blockers and run at him but he still either makes the play or forces the play until others catch up. His run D is the best of any 3-4 OLB we have ever had. They run away from him and he pursues and makes the tackle on the opposite side of the field. That is how a 3-4 OLB makes it to 100 tackles.

In the pass game he rushes the QB much less than other OLBs who do so almost every pass play, yet he still records double digit sacks every year (when healthy). Dropping into pass coverage I would say that he is only slightly above average for a LB, however he does get bonus marks for intimidation factor which takes him up a couple of points.

Bottom line, his replacement can put up stellar numbers yet our overall D could drop off significantly - and it will barely be obvious why.....but we will know.

Oviedo
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Harrison is the most underrated 3-4 OLB ever. The reason is that he does everything asked of such a player, and does it all at an above average to excellent level. Unlike Demarcus Ware - who only does one thing well - Harrison is a force in the run game. Teams try to cover him up with one or two blockers and run at him but he still either makes the play or forces the play until others catch up. His run D is the best of any 3-4 OLB we have ever had. They run away from him and he pursues and makes the tackle on the opposite side of the field. That is how a 3-4 OLB makes it to 100 tackles.

In the pass game he rushes the QB much less than other OLBs who do so almost every pass play, yet he still records double digit sacks every year (when healthy). Dropping into pass coverage I would say that he is only slightly above average for a LB, however he does get bonus marks for intimidation factor which takes him up a couple of points.

Bottom line, his replacement can put up stellar numbers yet our overall D could drop off significantly - and it will barely be obvious why.....but we will know.

No one doubts Harrison has been great, but many of us doubt he can be in the future. So hope I'm wrong.

Since Harrison has been made the poster boy for excessive violence, his late start notwithstanding, he would never get considered for the HoF. To anyone outside of P-burgh he will always just be a "dirty player"

Snatch98
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
No one doubts Harrison has been great, but many of us doubt he can be in the future. So hope I'm wrong.

Since Harrison has been made the poster boy for excessive violence, his late start notwithstanding, he would never get considered for the HoF. To anyone outside of P-burgh he will always just be a "dirty player"

"Dirty players" can't make it in to the Hall? There are PLENTY of dirty players in the Hall of Fame.

fezziwig
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Has Harrison hurt anyone in a game ? I thought he jacked one person up on a clean hit once or twice. Also, Hines is supposed to be a dirty player and I don't actually believe that but non the less, I see Hines making it to the hall. Harrisons only trouble from making it in the hof will be, he doesn't have the playing years in my opinion.