PDA

View Full Version : MRI forRedman?

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 01:29 PM
According to this report, yes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/15/isaac-redman-headed-for-mri-on-injured-groin/

There is also a conflicting report from Kaboly that Redman is expected to practice today, so who really knows.

I do hope that there is no serious issue. If the Steelers lose Redman and are stuck with Dwyer and Batch for the opener, they could be in a lot of trouble.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
It doesn't matter; if Redman isn't hurt now he will be hurt later and Dwyer will be getting the shot as the main ball carrier, period. Just watching Redman's few carriers last week I could see that he was taking shots - in a pre-season game - that were going to put him out. He is tough but slow and he fights for extra yards making himself a target for shots from LBs and safeties. He is just too much a target; he won't last. Dwyer delivers hits as much as he takes them. And he is faster and bigger.

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Dwyer left the game after what, 2 carries? I'd be incredibly worried about counting on Dwyer to make it through the entire game if Redman is on the sidelines.

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
It doesn't matter; if Redman isn't hurt now he will be hurt later and Dwyer will be getting the shot as the main ball carrier, period. Just watching Redman's few carriers last week I could see that he was taking shots - in a pre-season game - that were going to put him out. He is tough but slow and he fights for extra yards making himself a target for shots from LBs and safeties. He is just too much a target; he won't last. Dwyer delivers hits as much as he takes them. And he is faster and bigger.

Who is this Dwyer you speak of???

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
The only time Redman ever took a hard shot from a defender was in the Browns game...

He generally doesn't take big hits from the opposing D...

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow! This would be a problem. I never expected Redman to be healthy for all 16 games but I did expect him to make it out of camp healthy.

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Redman is "dinged up" for the rest of preseason...

SteelBucks
08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I wonder if the Steelers are getting a group discount on MRI's. One preseason game is in the books and their backfield is already looking mighty thin.

flippy
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
If we get the Oline dominating, it might not be such a bad thing to have Rainey back there. No one will ever see him coming until he's gone.

I'd really like to see what Batch could do behind some blocking which we haven't seen yet.

Shawn
08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

And more injury prone...you forgot that one. Dwyer has yet to show us he can even sit the bench without injury. I actually fear that he may sprain his wrist grabbing for a gatorade cup.

SidSmythe
08-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Redman has been durable so far...not sure how you can make this inference after the 1st preseason game.

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 03:43 PM

I want Dwyer toi play to his fullest potential If he does we will have a very good RB, but he is not yet anywhere near what you infer. Still lots to prove.

DukieBoy
08-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe best to "Duece" Redman for the rest of pre-season, use the hopefuls and wannabe's in the meaningless games. Hoping he's not already hurt and out for weeks.

aggiebones
08-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Referring to Redman: "he fights for extra yards making himself a target"

Yes, that is true, we don't have to worry about that with Dwyer. If he sees someone coming, he's more likely to curl up in the fetal position that initiate physical contact.
They will hold Redman out most of the preseason, see if Dwyer will actually play football. Then start Redman in the first game. Very smart of the Steelers if they do this.
Redman can't take 30 carries a game, but he could easily handle 18-20 if he gets his groin in order, which he should before game Rainey or Batch can have a 3-5 carries and Dwyer can have his 2-4 per game. When Mendi comes back, we'll see who has done what by then.

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Not the most encouraging news on Redman:

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette #steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23steelers) RB Redman tried to practice. But fell painfully on all fours as trainers attended. Hasnt returned.

Iron Shiek
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Maybe best to "Duece" Redman for the rest of pre-season, use the hopefuls and wannabe's in the meaningless games. Hoping he's not already hurt and out for weeks.

Does he get his own sweatpants, or does he have to use the "commemorative Deuce sweats"?

SteelBucks
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
So the only healthy RB's on the roster are Batch and Rainey? Sheesh.

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Not good. Mendy needs to get well fast. Unfortunate Redman may not even make it out of camp healthy. I was at least hoping for 6-8 games before he went down. Needed him to keep Mendy's seat warm until he came back. Do we start looking for a RB still available in free agency?

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Redman has been durable so far...not sure how you can make this inference after the 1st preseason game.

Redman hasn't been "incredibly durable" so far, he's been incredibly un-used. He simply hasn't had starter level carries for more than 1 game so far. As I was watching him run last week, it appeared very obvious that his style is going to get him hammered. He won't make it more than a handful of games before he will be hurt.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Joe Bryant bryant@footballguys.com

Hi Folks,

Followup on the stories for Steelers RB Isaac Redman and LB James Harrison I told you about earlier today. And neither are good.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that James Harrison did have knee surgery today. Per Bouchette's Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/EdBouchette "James Harrison had scope on his left knee this morning and it "went well,'' according to one source."

ESPN is reporting that Harrison's status for Week 1 of the regular season is "uncertain".

The news on Redman's groin issue doesn't sound good either. No word on the MRI but Bouchette had this on Redman: "RB Redman tried to practice. But fell painfully on all fours as trainers attended. Hasnt returned."

I just hope JH can be ready for the season and stay relatively healthy.

Shoe
08-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Sad, disappointing news. I've been trumpeting for this player to seize the moment since back in January, and this basically shoots big holes in his ability to do so. The fact that he could not finish practice... you gonna figure he's out for the foreseeable future (i.e. next couple weeks). Unless he's solidified his starting role with the coaches already (which I doubt), that practice time missed will be HUGE to him. I'm disapointed.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Yes, that is true, we don't have to worry about that with Dwyer. If he sees someone coming, he's more likely to curl up in the fetal position that initiate physical contact.
They will hold Redman out most of the preseason, see if Dwyer will actually play football. Then start Redman in the first game. Very smart of the Steelers if they do this.
Redman can't take 30 carries a game, but he could easily handle 18-20 if he gets his groin in order, which he should before game Rainey or Batch can have a 3-5 carries and Dwyer can have his 2-4 per game. When Mendi comes back, we'll see who has done what by then.

I guess you never saw JD in college; he initiates contact and blast into defenders. And Mendenhall won't be back this year. He already played like a total wuss, a guy like that won't come in early from an ACL. No way. And when he does come back, have good luck getting a big contract in 2013 with a shoddy collection of work and being shelved for a year, not to mention his PIC statements that angered the establishment.

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Not good. Mendy needs to get well fast. Unfortunate Redman may not even make it out of camp healthy. I was at least hoping for 6-8 games before he went down. Needed him to keep Mendy's seat warm until he came back. Do we start looking for a RB still available in free agency?

I thought Mendy was out for the entire season and that there was no way he would recover anytime sooner ? Even if he did come back at some point, he wouldn't be as affective but, something is better than nothing.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I thought Mendy was out for the entire season and that there was no way he would recover anytime sooner ? Even if he did come back at some point, he wouldn't be as affective but, something is better than nothing.

actually, the Steelers expect Mendy to come off the PUP list and be ready to contribute after Week 6...

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I didn't know that. I thought once he was injured last season it was said to be an injury that would cause him to miss all this season ? Or maybe it was to the point that, he would still need a full season to get back into playing shape with cutting, stopping, planting and all that kind of stuff. Oh well, I am getting older and I don't know if my memory is going or I just don't care enough to retain things. What's this strings topic about again ?

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
What's this strings topic about again ?

well, if Crash were still here it would either be about Ben being a demi-God, the Steelers running the ball too much or LeBeau's defense blowing another 4th quarter lead...

NorthCoast
08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Lest anyone think the injury bug has unfairly bitten the Steelers, last count had the Browns with 15 players not able to practice... many are first teamers.

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM

I hope you are right.

aggiebones
08-15-2012, 10:50 PM
lloydroid (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/member.php/14349-lloydroid) either is Dwyer, arelative or simple went to school with him and is smitten. If Redman can't go, we will sign someone else. EVERYONE surely understands this.

Keyplay1
08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Does he get his own sweatpants, or does he have to use the "commemorative Deuce sweats"?

Interesting coincidence that you have Tomlin's pic by your name.

I caught one of the local tv reports tonight and they asked Tomlin about Redman. He really seemed quite angry and said something like he [Redman]shouldn't be talking about no MRI's. He was just limited at practice today.

There is something going on there, but I have no idea what it might be.

Shoe
08-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Interesting coincidence that you have Tomlin's pic by your name.

I caught one of the local tv reports tonight and they asked Tomlin about Redman. He really seemed quite angry and said something like he [Redman]shouldn't be talking about no MRI's. He was just limited at practice today.

There is something going on there, but I have no idea what it might be.

It's why I said how sad this was... He potentially doesn't realize how rare an opportunity he's been given since January.

"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives…. but they’ll never take our FREEDOM!"
-from Braveheart

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Steelers notebook: Redman coy on MRI

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=_nTIU wbLycdsw8qDzEQxdc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYumdhJJDPziMCP T59d4nBXyWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers running back Issac Redman watches practice at St. Vincent College Aug. 16

• Running back Isaac Redman, chastised by coach Mike Tomlin for revealing he would have an MRI on his injured groin, said the test revealed Thursday exactly what the Steelers’ athletic trainers thought it would. Only he didn’t say what that was. And Tomlin wouldn’t even acknowledge that Redman had the exam. Redman hopes to be back on the field as early as next week. “Hopefully I can get through this, rehab it and do what I need to do to get healthy,” Redman said.

• LaMarr Woodley is out $60,000 and, unlike fellow linebacker James Harrison and his frequent run-ins with the NFL’s fine patrol, this is money he gladly paid. When Woodley heard his former school district in Saginaw, Mich., was being forced by budget restraints to charge athletes $75 to play this year, Woodley decided to pick up the tab. Tomlin said Woodley set an example for every NFL player. “He’s a man that took $60,000 and provided potentially a lifetime of opportunity,” Tomlin said.

• The Steelers are finally getting some of their injured players back. Left tackle Mike Adams (knee) and running back Jonathan Dwyer (sprained shoulder) practiced Thursday, a week after they were hurt during a preseason game in Philadelphia. Offensive tackle Max Starks (knee) will start working out Friday, although he is not ready for full activity. Starks is seven months into what is normally a nine- to 12-month window for returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament. “It’s still a long way away, Sept. 9, and in my mind, there are a lot of things that have to be put in order,” Starks said, referring to the opener. Newly signed tight end Justin Peelle practiced, but offensive tackle Chris Scott was diagnosed with an ankle injury.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2420796-85/redman-starks-tackle-tomlin-woodley-steelers-offensive-thursday-60000-game