PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison may need surgery before Steelers opener

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Harrison may need surgery before Steelers opener

Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/4c/34c62aaa-4a64-5c8d-a2fa-ce2946024b1d/502afdc278623.preview-300.jpg

LATROBE -- The Steelers remain confident that James Harrison will be ready for the season opener. But there is a chance he may need arthroscopic surgery on his injured knee before then.

Harrison, one of the NFL’s most dominating linebackers over the past five years, has to yet to take part in a training camp practice. He’s still on the physically unable to perform list because of an irritation behind his knee cap that causes swelling.

“With the exception of this little knee thing, James is probably healthier now that he’s been in three years,” said Bill Parise, Harrison’s agent. “He’s extremely fit. He just has to get this irritation behind his knee cap cleared up. That’s what’s causing the swelling, and (the Steelers) just want to get rid of that.

“So we might even look at doing a scope of that to get it cleaned up. We’ll just have to wait see how it plays out.”

Coach Mike Tomlin has never given any timetable about Harrison’s return to practice. Typically when asked about players on the PUP list, Tomlin says the players are being assessed week to week.

Parise thinks that Harrison may be taken off the PUP list in a week or two to see how his knee responds to practice. If the swelling continues, then arthroscopic surgery could be performed in order to allow Harrison to heal in time for the Sept. 9 opener in Denver.

“If it doesn’t respond the way everybody wants it, that sounds like the alternative,” Parise said. “We’d probably opt for that sooner than later.”

Harrison, 34, rarely missed a game in his first four years as the starting right outside linebacker. From 2007 through 2010, he only missed one game: the season finale vs. Cleveland in 2008 when he sat out with a minor hip injury.

Last year, Harrison missed four games in October due to a broken bone in his eye socket.

Harrison has been somewhat of a mystery man, though, during this camp. While Steelers who’ve been on the PUP list could be seen going through conditioning drills in one corner of the practice complex at St. Vincent College, Harrison has rarely joined them.

However, Harrison is working out in the weight room and is under constant care from the Steelers’ medical team. He is getting therapy and treatment.

“James is fine,” said Chris Carter, who’s been playing Harrison’s spot on the first-team defense since the start of camp. “You know, he does his thing. James is the consummate professional. He knows what he needs to get his body just right. I have no concerns about James.”

“He’s OK. We’re just trying to make sure that we have the player we want for the regular season,” Parise said. “Right now, James is doing all right. He’s just working through the process. If you see him, he’s probably as fit as he’s ever been. He looks great. His attitude is great. Right now, it’s just a matter of him getting that knee better.

“At this time, James is looking to play in the opener. We all think James will play in the opener.”

Harrison is one of the highest-paid Steelers ever. In 2009, he signed a six-year deal worth $51.75 million that included around $20 million in bonuses. This year, he’s making $5.565 million in base salary, which is second on the team (Tro Polamalu, $6.250 million). But Harrison is the Steelers' biggest salary cap hit this season at $9.030 million (that includes his pro-rated signing contract and bonus money).

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/harrison-may-need-surgery-before-steelers-opener/article_4b37012b-2cbf-5430-aff5-3bee8c1e6e35.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Harrison is my biggest concern on defense. His body seems to be breaking down regardless of the propaganda his agent puts out. You aren't healthier than you have been in the last three years if you are on the PUP and can't get on the field.

Let's hope Carter continues to improve and Worilds gets better soon because I think we will need both this season.

flippy
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
We need some new superstars on D.

Who's gonna step up and fill this role?

Woodley
Timmons
McClendon
Heyward
Hood
Spence
Allen

One of them needs to become a megastar for this team to have a chance at another SuperBowl. 2 or 3 would be better.

This team boils down to 3 guys. Ben, Harrison, and Troy. It feels like we're losing 1 and we may be losing a second before we know it.

And Ben + Defense = Championships

We need some game changers on D.

Djfan
08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't know Ovi. That eye socket thing was a fluke. I don't see it as his wearing down. Take that out of the mix and he has been very reliable. This seems minor. I bet he gets the orthoscopic and it is done.

flippy
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't know Ovi. That eye socket thing was a fluke. I don't see it as his wearing down. Take that out of the mix and he has been very reliable. This seems minor. I bet he gets the orthoscopic and it is done.

He's had ongoing back issues. Not sure he's 100% back on that front.

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM

At the end of last year, he was good enough to produce 7 sacks in 7 games after returning from that broken orbital...

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
My questions and or comments are like this.

They have top medical men checking these guys out and since last season no one could realize enough that James has an injury bad enough that, he couldn't go through camp, second preseason game he might need surgery. WTH ? Should have been more of an urgency to see how our star linebacker was doing and if he would be able to produce the start of camp.

At his age, these injuries James, might not be on the team for much longer. Starting to roll out into a Aron Smith story.

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM

They have top medical men checking these guys out and since last season no one could realize enough that James has an injury bad enough that, he couldn't go through camp, second preseason game he might need surgery. WTH ? Should have been more of an urgency to see how our star linebacker was doing and if he would be able to produce the start of camp.

At his age, these injuries James, might not be on the team for much longer. Starting to roll out into a Aron Smith story.

Let's hope his next couple of years are not like Smith's last couple. We would be in a real bind at OLB.

Sugar
08-15-2012, 11:22 AM

When was the last time we've heard that James had a back issue? Perhaps I missed something.

aggiebones
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
He could easily have 2 more very productive years, maybe even 3 or 4. No way of knowing. But he's not latest at full power for 5 more years. He could be done before the end of the season and playing in Arizona.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Harrison is my biggest concern on defense. His body seems to be breaking down regardless of the propaganda his agent puts out. You aren't healthier than you have been in the last three years if you are on the PUP and can't get on the field.

Let's hope Carter continues to improve and Worilds gets better soon because I think we will need both this season.

Yea, the reason the rest of his body is healthy is because he hasn't been on the field yet, so of course it's healthy. It's been resting. I feel JH might never be whole again. Forget his knee, I am worried about his back and shoulders. Once they go they don't tend to come back after you are 30. And the Steelers without a healthy JH are not nearly as effective on D; it's not even close. I don't see anyone on the roster who can come any where close to replacing him. Hell there is almost no one in the entire LEAGUE who could replace a healthy JH - that is why he won DMVP.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
When was the last time we've heard that James had a back issue? Perhaps I missed something.

He had back issues at the end of last season. They just weren't admitting it. Pgh thinks they can "trick" people, but it's so obviously transparent.

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Yea, Aaron Smith territory. Tons of wasted cap space on a player who can't get healthy enough to play. I sure hope not.

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
He could easily have 2 more very productive years, maybe even 3 or 4. No way of knowing. But he's not latest at full power for 5 more years. He could be done before the end of the season and playing in Arizona.

Playing in Arizona.........LMAO ! Once he gets there he can hand Wiz a football and say, " Here, I think this belongs to Warner. "

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM

I don't know. I have seen him jogging on some plays where he would have been going full tilt in the past. He never used to take any plays off. Remember Gildon his last few years, where he would just "titty fight" on so many plays? Of course, Cowher didn't bother to notice and let an unproductive player remain starting for 2 years longer than anyone else would have.

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm concerned.... how much contact has JH had this year? I hope these young guys are up to speed.

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know. I have seen him jogging on some plays where he would have been going full tilt in the past. He never used to take any plays off.

That has nothing to do with James Harrison's health and everything to do with Roger Goodell...

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
That has nothing to do with James Harrison's health and everything to do with Roger Goodell...

Harrison may want to paint Goodell as his own personal "boogeyman" however we all know he was not the same James Harrison last year that he was in 2009 and 2010.

SteelBucks
08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Harrison may want to paint Goodell as his own personal "boogeyman" however we all know he was not the same James Harrison last year that he was in 2009 and 2010.

I agree. People might not want to hear it but Harrison is 34. I'm not surprised in the least that he's starting to break down a bit.

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM

If you say so...

He had 9 sacks in the 11 games he played...the broken orbital was a freak occurrence and the only other game he missed was due to Goodell's unjust suspension...

He played for another quarter of a game with that orbital...if that's not James Harrison, I don't know what is...

flippy
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
At the end of last year, he was good enough to produce 7 sacks in 7 games after returning from that broken orbital...

6 sacks came in 2 games. He had 36 tackles and 1 FF which isn't a typical James Harrison pace when he's at his best.

To his credit, James gives what he's got. Just not sure he's 100% up to his standard at his peak. It's still better than most. It's hard not to wonder if he's on the downside of his career. I hope people question him and it motivates him.

Of course I don't want to be the one to question him :)

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
I hope we don't move Timmons outside again...

Ed: Harrison, Redman Get More Tests Done

WEDNESDAY, 15 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The Steelers are getting thin at two areas they cannot afford to take backward steps – at linebacker and at running back.

Starting halfback Isaac Redman said he will have an MRI tomorrow because his groin continues to bother him and has been sore for awhile. He played briefly in the preseason opener after not practicing much the week leading up to the game, and now he’s back on the sideline.

And linebacker James Harrison was being examined in Pittsburgh to try to determine whether he should have arthroscopic surgery on that swollen knee that has given him problems since the spring.

Redman’s absence has left them with little to work with at running back, where they lost John Clay to a season-ending thigh injury. Jonathan Dwyer is nursing an ACL sprain in his shoulder. That leaves Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey at halfback and Will Johnson at fullback until the fullback they signed the other day can begin practicing.

With both Harrison and Jason Worilds (wrist) on PUP, two of their top three outside linebackers have not practiced yet in training camp – and did little in the spring either.

LaMarr Woodley had his own groin problems earlier in camp but he played last Thursday and continues to practice. Chris Carter has been fine in camp but he’s no James Harrison at right outside linebacker. They like the looks of No. 46, undrafted rookie Adrian Robinson, and veteran Brandon Johnson, formerly with the Bengals.

What the Steelers would like to avoid is moving Lawrence Timmons outside, as they did last season when Harrison was out. It may be their best move, however, if Harrison cannot go. Then either Stevenson Sylvester or perhaps rookie Sean Spence would start inside.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117638-ed-harrison-redman-get-more-tests-done

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
not good news: :(

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Steelers OLB James Harrison underwent arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome knee Wednesday morning.

He's going to miss regular season action, and may even open the year on PUP, which would cost Harrison the first six games.

In Harrison's four missed games in 2011, the Steelers went 4-0 and allowed just 16.75 points per game, though the Jaguars, Cardinals, and Titans were three of their opponents and that's not necessarily a predictive stat. Look for Chris Carter and Jason Worilds to share snaps across from LaMarr Woodley while Harrison is out. Harrison is 34 and the knee has been an ongoing issue, so it's shaping up as a long-term concern.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette via twitter:

#steelers LB James Harrison had scope scheduled this morning on his knee

http://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/235815424233705472

lloydroid
08-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Hell, why didn't he know this before camp opened? Why didn't he take care of this in January instead of August? Or even in March or April?

Shoe
08-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Hell, why didn't he know this before camp opened? Why didn't he take care of this in January instead of August? Or even in March or April?

Dude, who do you think he is, Kreskin?

As for this development, I actually think it could be a good thing. Older players need the brakes put on them, as we all know. The athlete thinks he can/should go all the time, but the fact is that most of the time it's better to be strategic about things. In this case, give him the first six weeks of the season to get ready, rest. Give the kid (Carter) some valuable playing time. Unleash Harrison in Week 7.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Steelers take charge of Harrison surgery

August, 15, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- James Harrison's agent told the Beaver County Times that he thought the Steelers would remove the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker from the physically unable to perform (PUP) list in a week or two and see how the knee reacts before pursuing surgery.

The agent thought wrong. Surgery wasn't in a week or two. By the time the Steelers were having lunch at St. Vincent College, Harrison had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

In other words, the Steelers put Harrison on their timetable and not his own. If Pittsburgh had waited a week or two before scheduling surgery, Harrison would have been in serious jeopardy of missing the season opener at Denver, which is 25 days away. Now, by taking charge of Harrison's injury after allowing him to go at his pace for the entire offseason and most of training camp, the Steelers increased their chances of watching Harrison drive Peyton Manning into the ground, which is exactly what Manning didn't want to hear.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't lay out a timeframe of when he expected Harrison to get back on the field but he said, "It shouldn't be long."

The Steelers gave Harrison time to work out the injury. He didn't practice this offseason because of an inflamed knee and sat out all of training camp, which wraps up this week. The Steelers, though, couldn't wait any longer. Harrison's backup, Jason Worilds, is considered week-to-week with a hand injury. That meant Chris Carter, a fifth-round pick from a year ago, was working with the starters.

The only position that has been hit as hard as outside linebacker has been running back. Injuries to Isaac Redman (groin), Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder), Rashard Mendenhall (knee) and John Clay (thigh) have left the Steelers with two healthy ball carries: Baron Batch and Chris Rainey. Batch was the iron man of Wednesday's practice, taking nearly every snap in team drills.

Redman, who said he was having an MRI on Thursday morning, attempted to practice but fell down to the ground in pain. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said early Wednesday afternoon that he didn't know that Redman was having an MRI. Tomlin declined to get into specifics about Redman's injury outside of calling it "minor."

"He's working in a limited capacity in preparation for the game," Tomlin said. "That's all I got in regard to that. He shouldn't be talking to you about MRIs."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/52690/steelers-take-charge-of-james-harrison-injury

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
i'm with hawaiin, i hope timmons doesn't take the outside spot again. i also hope worilds isn't a work in progress. we need guys to step up. . just think hawaiin there are some steeler sites we could not have stated our opinions.

NorthCoast
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM

My thought exactly fezzi... why wait til less than a month before the first game?.... doctors are either imcompetent or Harrison said no for some strange reason (can't have surgery against someone's wishes, NFL or not.)

Flasteel
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
It was a good thing to get this done now. If there are no complications, he should be back for the first week. Not sure what Bouchette was thinking or who he talked to that mentioned missing regular season games or starting the year out on the PUP list. That's flat-out absurd for a scope.

skyhawk
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
We need some new superstars on D.

Who's gonna step up and fill this role?

Woodley
Timmons
McClendon
Heyward
Hood
Spence
Allen

One of them needs to become a megastar for this team to have a chance at another SuperBowl. 2 or 3 would be better.

This team boils down to 3 guys. Ben, Harrison, and Troy. It feels like we're losing 1 and we may be losing a second before we know it.

And Ben + Defense = Championships

We need some game changers on D.

Chris Carter? I liked him alot in the first preseason game.

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
If Carter does step up and make an impact I hope that Tomlin keeps him at least as the number two backup because I think this kid is going to be special.

Jack Lambert stepped in for an injured player and never looked back so did Mike Wagner. I hope this is the case for our players that have the talent and not judge by their draft rankings.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Harrison has a setback

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
2012-08-16

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/228/489/redman_420.jpg

Running back Isaac Redman drops to all fours after testing his injured groin in practice Wednesday at Saint Vincent College.

The Steelers are preparing for the possibility that linebacker James Harrison will not be able to open the season Sept. 9 at Denver.

Harrison had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Wednesday to remove an impairment that has caused swelling since the spring. There remains optimism that Harrison could make it back for the opener.

"Shouldn't be long," coach Mike Tomlin said, although not estimating that in weeks. "We'll see when we get him back here and start the process of working him back."

In the meantime, they are proceeding with alternate preparations.

"There's always concern when you don't have James Harrison," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "We'll see, I don't know. I have to prepare and get people ready."

Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl player and former NFL defensive player of the year, has been on the physically-unable-to-perform list and has not practiced since early spring because of his knee problem. He is 34 and has been the team's starting outside linebacker on the right side the past five seasons.

As to why the surgery was not performed earlier, perhaps even in June, it was assumed rest would cure it. But the Steelers suspect that Harrison may have pushed it too hard working out in his impatience to return to the team, aggravating the injury.

Compounding the problem for the Steelers is the continued absence of Jason Worilds, the top backup at outside linebacker. He also has been on the PUP list with a wrist injury. Chris Carter, a fifth-round draft choice by the Steelers in 2011 who played mostly special teams as a rookie, has taken Harrison's place on the right side, so to speak.

"I don't know if you can replace James Harrison," Butler said. "I don't know if you can do that. Right now, we're short until either Jason or James gets back. Chris has done a great job. He's improved quite a bit. I think he'll be ready to play. I don't know if he'll be ready to play a full game, so that's a concern."

Adding more layers of drama to the situation at outside linebacker is the venue in which the Steelers open the regular season. Not only do they not know if Carter can play a full game under normal conditions, they must play in the high altitude in Denver.

"We might just sub a little bit more," said Butler, a former linebacker who played a decade for the Seattle Seahawks. "That first game is going to be tough, it's going to be in Denver, it's going to be at Mile High. People say there's nothing to the thin air out there but that's [nonsense]; I played there for 10 years so I know what it is.

Denver was in our division when I played and there's some acclimation involved, especially in the first half.

"So we have to have more than one team ready to go out there with our outside guys. I'm still looking to see who that guy is."

Butler noted that there still is plenty of time for things to work out, that Harrison and Worilds could be ready to go to start the season. He's working on contingencies, just in case.

Stevenson Sylvester and veteran newcomer Brandon Johnson have practiced at the inside and outside positions. Undrafted rookie Adrian Robinson has a chance to make the roster but won't be ready to start.

Butler could be forced to do something he prefers not to -- play starting inside mack linebacker Lawrence Timmons on the outside, as he did last season when Harrison missed five games and parts of others. If that happens, either Sylvester or third-round draft pick Sean Spence would move into his inside spot.

"I prefer not to put Lawrence back outside," Butler said. "But that's always a possibility. What we want to do is put our best people on the field regardless who they are. It's my job to try to make sure they're prepared for any contingency we might have."

Redman sore

Isaac Redman's sore groin has not improved, so he will have an MRI this morning to have a better diagnosis of the injury that has dogged the new starting halfback since early in training camp.

"It's tough to run right now," Redman said.

The injury caused Redman to miss some practices before the first preseason game in Philadelphia a week ago. He started that game, carried five times for 14 yards and caught two passes, and did not return after the first series. He did not return immediately to practice Saturday when the Steelers returned to Latrobe. Although he has tried to do some things, practices the past two days have mainly been up to the only two healthy running backs eligible, Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey.

Redman tried to join them Wednesday, but early on in some individual drills he dropped in pain on all fours and, after getting some aid from the trainers, watched the rest of practice.

Redman said he is unsure if he will play Sunday against Indianapolis at Heinz Field.

"I heal pretty fast. Hopefully, I can get right past this."

The running backs have been hit harder with injuries than anyone this year. It began on New Year's Day with Rashard Mendenhall's ACL injury in Cleveland. Over the past week, the Steelers lost starting fullback David Johnson for the season to a torn ACL and MCL, lost backup halfback John Clay for the season to a thigh injury, and have had Redman and Jonathan Dwyer on the sideline. Dwyer has an AC joint sprain in his shoulder from the Eagles game.

"Me and Dwyer tried to come back," Redman said of practice Tuesday. "Dwyer couldn't do any contact but we tried to come back and just have two more fresh legs out there and try to give them a break when we could."

It has left the team with Rainey and Batch, who returned this year from an ACL tear in the first two weeks of his rookie training camp in 2011.

"You'll never hear me complain about getting a lot of reps," Batch said Wednesday after practice. "It's been like that the past few days.

"I just want everybody to be ready to go when the season starts. I know how hard it is to sit out and not be able to play. I don't want that for anybody."

The Steelers have one fullback, Will Johnson, and another running back on his way in the form of undrafted rookie Jason Ford. He signed Tuesday but rules do not permit him to practice until Friday.

Penalty forthcoming

The NFL will reveal by the end of this week what punishment it will hand Eagles cornerback Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie for his hit Thursday on Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich.

While Rodgers-Cromartie thought the hit was "clean," he was flagged for it and some are calling it a classic illegal grand slam -- late, launched, high and to a quarterback.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/harrison-has-a-setback-649127/#ixzz23jGFj2vd

Eich
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
While Rodgers-Cromartie thought the hit was "clean," he was flagged for it and some are calling it a classic illegal grand slam -- late, launched, high and to a quarterback.

Some?? Is there anyone on the PLANET - other than Cromartie - who doesn't think it was classic illegal grand slam -- late, launched, high and to a quarterback ??

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Ed: Harrison Will Have Tough Time Making Opener

THURSDAY, 16 AUGUST 2012 08:53 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning and welcome to the 35th anniversary edition of the death of Elvis.

James Harrison is 34, had knee surgery yesterday and has 3 ½ weeks to get back in time for the opener. I don’t think he’ll make it. He hasn’t practiced all summer and missed most of the practices in the spring. If it takes two weeks for him to be able to get on the field after that minor surgery, that gives him 1 ½ weeks to put on the pads and get ready for the opener.

The Steelers have a big dropoff after Harrison, but I wouldn’t be so quick to rush him into the lineup. It’s a long season and the Steelers need a healthy Harrison in there. Let him sit out at least the opener and go from there. They will have to remove him from the PUP before the final cutdown, though, because if they do not he would have to miss the first six weeks of the season.

The question many want to know is why they did not do this minor surgery in May or June. He would have had plenty of time to heal and get back into shape and maybe even opened training camp not on the PUP. They are asking those questions internally as well. What they believe happened was they were convinced surgery was not necessary and rest would cure it. In his impatience to get back, the theory goes, Harrison pushed himself too hard too quickly and the knee flared up again.

But if this were such minor surgery – as it does appear to be – what was the big deal if they just went ahead and did it back in May or June? They are now paying the price for that decision.

Onto some other stuff:

--- The situation at running back has taken on a different look since the start of training camp. They’ve lost two in the backfield, including fullback David Johnson. They must rely on a lot of youngsters and if Isaac Redman is out for any stretch or is hindered by an ongoing groin problem, that improved ground game the Steelers hoped to see when they hired Todd Haley won’t be there. Rashard Mendenhall looks better and better, but they won’t have him until at least midseason if he remains on PUP, and that is what they have wanted all along because they don’t believe he’ll be ready.

--- After watching Baron Batch run play after play in practice and on special teams yesterday when only he and Chris Rainey were available to practice at halfback, I asked him if he were sleeping well lately after all that work. Batch: “I got about 11 hours last night.”

--- Training camp has one more day of real practice, Friday, which is the final day the public can watch. They actually don’t break from here until Sunday morning, then play the Colts that night. It’s the longest stretch between games, which is why Mike Tomlin gave them the morning off.

--- Something I just learned recently: Under the new CBA rules, a football cannot be thrown nor kicked during walk-throughs. So when Ben Roethlisberger said the one concession he has made to saving his arm at age 30 is he no longer throws the ball during walk-throughs might have been a little bit of a put-on. He’s not permitted anyway.

--- YOU: You wrote today "They have never kept four tight ends that I can
remember and counting David Johnson, they had three who looked like
locks, including Heath Miller and Leonard Pope. With Johnson finished
for the season, it would appear to me to come down to whether they
keep their only pure fullback, Will Johnson, or Weslye Saunders."
Does this mean you are counting out Justin Peelle as a contender for a
roster spot, or did you just momentarily forget about him?

ME: No, he just arrived and I forgot about him but if he makes the team it would be at the expense of Will Johnson and not a tight end, since he has played fullback too. He’s also 33.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117650-ed-harrison-will-have-tough-time-making-opener

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Some?? Is there anyone on the PLANET - other than Cromartie - who doesn't think it was classic illegal grand slam -- late, launched, high and to a quarterback ??

On YouTube just now was the first time I saw the hit on Byron. If there was ever a reason to suspend and fine a player it was that hit that Cromartie dished out on Lefty. That was pure head hunting and out to cause harm. Being it happened to a Steeler, Goodell will probably apologize to Cromartie and the Eagles because Leftwich got up after the play.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
this interview is too funny: :D

Ed: An Interview With James Harrison

FRIDAY, 17 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

James Harrison wasn’t in a mood to have much dialogue today. He walked to lunch with no apparent limp nor wrap on his left knee that was scoped on Wednesday morning.

Here’s a Q/A I had with Harrison at lunchtime today:

Q. What did they do, scrape something out behind your knee?
A. I don’t know.

Q. Can you bounce back at 34 as you might have at 24?
A. The body doesn’t come back as quick, that’s just natural.

Q. What are you doing?
A. I’m doing whatever it is they tell me to do.

Q. What can you do?
A. Whatever they tell me to do.

Q. And what is that?
A. They haven’t told me nothing yet.

Q. Are you swimming, stuff like that?
A. No.

Q. Can you still have a big season.
A. Yeah, I’ll be all right.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117667-ed-an-interview-with-james-harrison

Oviedo
08-17-2012, 03:04 PM
this interview is too funny: :D

Ed: An Interview With James Harrison

FRIDAY, 17 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

James Harrison wasn’t in a mood to have much dialogue today. He walked to lunch with no apparent limp nor wrap on his left knee that was scoped on Wednesday morning.

Here’s a Q/A I had with Harrison at lunchtime today:

Q. What did they do, scrape something out behind your knee?
A. I don’t know.

Q. Can you bounce back at 34 as you might have at 24?
A. The body doesn’t come back as quick, that’s just natural.

Q. What are you doing?
A. I’m doing whatever it is they tell me to do.

Q. What can you do?
A. Whatever they tell me to do.

Q. And what is that?
A. They haven’t told me nothing yet.

Q. Are you swimming, stuff like that?
A. No.

Q. Can you still have a big season.
A. Yeah, I’ll be all right.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117667-ed-an-interview-with-james-harrison

Truly a man of few words.

fezziwig
08-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Action speaks louder than words. I have a Steelers team DVD for their season and I think it was the season we beat the Cardinals in the super bowl. It's showing James Harrison highlights then quickly goes to the Cleveland Browns bench where to offensive linemen are sitting. One Brown players is huffing, puffig and sweat running down him like Niagra falls and he turns to his teammate on the bench and said, " I don't know who number 92 is but, he doesn't take off a play, whew, huff, puff . "

DukieBoy
08-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Just wanting James to comeback when he is solidly healthy, whether game 1 or game 10, as long as we make the playoffs, and we are hot and getting hotter at the end of the season, and James is there 100% for playoff football.