PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians is coming back to town...

feltdizz
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I know it's preseason but I'm really looking forward to seeing how we do against a former OC.

fezziwig
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
too bad this wasn't a regular season matchup. despite the outcome of this game i'm still glad arians is gone. last former oc we beat him in the super bowl.

NorthCoast
08-14-2012, 07:27 PM
After the show the Indy offense put on last weekend is it too early to proclaim firing BA as a mistake?..... what Indy did was pretty amazing when you consider that offenses are generally way behind the defenses at this point in the season.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
After the show the Indy offense put on last weekend is it too early to proclaim firing BA as a mistake?..... what Indy did was pretty amazing when you consider that offenses are generally way behind the defenses at this point in the season.

no, one game simply isn't a large enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions whatsoever about anything. :p

except that maybe the Rams' defense sucks...:D

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 01:22 AM
How Will Steelers Defense Handle Andrew Luck On Sunday?

Aug 14th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/6316278.jpg?5dc56d

The Pittsburgh Steelers held the Eagles and Mike Vick in check during the preseason opener last week… well at least the first squad did. The Steelers kept Mike Vick to a 3 of 4 for 6 yards and a sack. No points, and as he left the field was seen holding his wrist. The Steelers continued to keep the Eagles and did not allow them to score until midway through the 3rd quarter – pretty much when the third team was out there.

Grant it, it was third and fourth team vs third and fourth team, but we’ll never see that in a regular season game. The intensity on the field was genuine in the first two quarters (unlike something you would see in a Pro Bowl) for a preseason game. It was a fair litmus to see how the offense and defense are beginning to stack up against the competition. Philly isn’t a great offense, but they aren’t bad either. I would say the defense receives an B+ in the first half and a dismal F in the second half. I’m not worried, and I think the defense is on its way up for the start of the season. However, according to Elliot Harrison from NFL.com, the Steelers fell in power rankings after their loss to the Eagles and said that the defense had its hands full this year. He criticized LeBeau, Polamalu, Clark, and Larry Foote as weaknesses in coverage. They seemed to do a fine job on Thursday.

There’s no denying that after last season’s ‘old, slow and done’ to ‘#1′ to ‘Tebow’ed’ defensive performance those men will be under the microscope all season long. LeBeau will need to keep this group focused, and he will need to be flexible in his play calling to make sure offenses can’t adjust and burn the linebackers and safeties in the middle of the field.

As per usual with me, what will scare me the most this season are the ‘trap’ games. And though while the game against Indy is far from one because it’s a preseason contest, it is a bit of a crystal ball as to what games against Kansas City, Oakland, and Washington might be like. Will the defense play up or down to its competition? Andrew Luck had a mighty fine start to his NFL career even though it was against a hapless Rams defense. Regardless, he looked strong in the pocket, scrambled when he needed to, and did the most important thing a rookie QB can do – take care of the football.

The Steelers very well could have their hands full against a QB like Luck. I wish this game came later in the preseason. The team is still coming off of ‘training camp’ practices – more drills than plays. The first teams will leave the field sooner than later. It would be great if this game came in as the third or even fourth game of the preseason. It would give the defense a good long time to work with a team and QB that could be the a surprise this season.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/14/how-will-steelers-defense-handle-andrew-luck-on-sunday/

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Way too early....

But I could have sworn the first pass by Luck was a freaking screen? LOL...

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Lets hope that Arians uses his usual gameplan of decently designed but very long developing routes. I have nothing against Andrew Luck -- he seems like a nice kid -- I'd just like to see another fanbase get to experience the full BA experience.

JDSteeler
08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
I know it's preseason but I'm really looking forward to seeing how we do against a former OC.

RUTFM!!!!!!!!!!!! All we have to do is make sure that there is someone in the "A" gap on a running play!

JD

papillon
08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Maybe everyone has such a great dislike for Bruce Arians that they failed to see that the exact woes the Steelers had on offense under Arians were still present with Haley's offense. The only aspect of the offense that functioned at a higher level were the screen packages, other than that, it was more of the same, very few holes for RBs, sacks and pressures and an up and down performance.

Yea, one game, scrubs, and a new offense, but there were still many similarities in inconsistency, it should be interesting this year.

Pappy

Jigawatts
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't care what you say Pap. The Pittsburgh Steelers offense ran a screen and it gained yards. I haven't seen that since 2006. The Tod Haley era has begun!:Cheers

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Maybe everyone has such a great dislike for Bruce Arians that they failed to see that the exact woes the Steelers had on offense under Arians were still present with Haley's offense. The only aspect of the offense that functioned at a higher level were the screen packages, other than that, it was more of the same, very few holes for RBs, sacks and pressures and an up and down performance.

Yea, one game, scrubs, and a new offense, but there were still many similarities in inconsistency, it should be interesting this year.

Pappy

I agree... I know it's early but the offense looked the same as last year... sacks, no holes for the RB and a few decent completions after protection broke down.

I think the Colt fans are going to gush over BA because he has pretty decent QB in Luck and the expectations aren't 16-0.

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Sadly, I didn't get to watch our first pregame event so, I'll have to abide by everyones opinion. To me it sounded like more the same but, but, but we, have a new offensive cord in place with a new philosophy. Also, have we ever started two rookies on the oline before or even in preseason along with backup runningbacks ?
I'm not going to put a lo of weight into our first preseason game and from what I heard, lucks first great TD came from a schuffle pass. However, I did hear Luck had a good command of his responsibilities and his talents. Another great quarterback just might make Arians look good once again........for a while anyway.

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Sadly, I didn't get to watch our first pregame event so, I'll have to abide by everyones opinion. To me it sounded like more the same but, but, but we, have a new offensive cord in place with a new philosophy. Also, have we ever started two rookies on the oline before or even in preseason along with backup runningbacks ?
I'm not going to put a lo of weight into our first preseason game and from what I heard, lucks first great TD came from a schuffle pass. However, I did hear Luck had a good command of his responsibilities and his talents. Another great quarterback just might make Arians look good once again........for a while anyway.

I didn't see the whole Colts game but Luck looked comfortable... it was against St. Louis so take it with a grain of salt.

Another great QB will make Arians look good and I think the fact that he stays around great QB's says something about his knowledge of the game. He wasn't the best but he was far from the worst...

I really think our OL will make it difficult for our offense this year... I'm really concerned why our OL looks so bad and injury prone.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Way too early....

But I could have sworn the first pass by Luck was a freaking screen? LOL...

it was a freaking screen, and to a RB...:HeadBanger

fezziwig
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't think Arians knew about screens when he was with the Steelers or maybe because he has a young QB he allowed him the security of screen passes ? What a concept, when the defense might be too much for you, hammering you maybe a screen pass could put a snag into their game plan ?

I also agree or wonder why it seems our oline always seem to be injured. I know why our o-line sucks, they ignored it for too long and when they did make some stabs at it they have failed. Except for Pouncey, whom can you say is really that good at their o-line position ? Our o-line personale have been second stringer quality for a long time.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Luck’s Performance in First Game Impresses Opposing Coach for His Next

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 18, 2012

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/08/19/sports/NFL/NFL-articleInline.jpg

Andrew Luck starred in his debut for Indianapolis, a 38-3 victory over St. Louis last Sunday.

Mike Tomlin is not a coach who is easily impressed. Even the most dominant performances by his Steelers are often met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Still, even Tomlin had to be impressed at least a little by what he saw from Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck last week. The top pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, Luck threw for a touchdown on his first pass as a professional and spent his four series on the field lighting up the Rams in a 38-3 preseason victory for the Colts.

“I thought he played really well,” Tomlin said. “I don’t mean ‘played really well for a rookie.’ I thought he played really well.”

An encore, however, figures to be tougher against the Steelers (0-1) on Sunday night. Pittsburgh’s first-string defense played sparingly in the preseason opener against Philadelphia.

“It’ll be fun,” Luck said. “I realize every defense is good in the N.F.L., in my mind. But to have a chance to go against a great historical defense, a great franchise with a great fan base, will be fun.”

Although the Steelers veterans Casey Hampton and James Harrison remain sidelined by injuries, defensive end Brett Keisel is back after missing the opener to be with his wife for the birth of their third child.

Keisel, like Tomlin, caught a glimpse of Luck’s debut. One thing he noticed was how much time Luck had to make plays. The Steelers do not plan to let Luck be too comfortable in the pocket.

Having a little familiarity with what the Colts are trying to do helps. Indianapolis’s offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, spent five seasons in the same position with Pittsburgh before being let go in the off-season.

The exit was not graceful. The Steelers announced that Arians retired, though the sabbatical lasted less than two weeks before the Colts tapped him to mold Luck into Peyton Manning’s successor.

Arians insists that he is not looking for payback against his former employer — just looking for his rookie to take another step forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sports/football/nfl-football-roundup.html?_r=2&ref=sports

flippy
08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm glad to have Haley instead of BA. Haley seems more adept at maximizing the talent that he has as opposed to having a philosophy or system.

Very Tomlinesque. Tomlin could have come in and switched us to a 4-3, but he didn't.

Lebeau seems to be the last coach on the roster that's stuck in a system. And it will be interesting to see in the near future of the Steelers try to stick with that system or go outside the organization for a young coach with a broader skillset. Most think Butler will be the successor. But I'd rather see us go get someone else from the outside for a new perspective. I think a guy like an Eric Mangini would be a perfect fit.

I think he's a relatively young and smart guy in the mold of Haley or Lebeau for that matter in that he's not cut out to be an HC, but is perfect as a coordinator and would be able to see things from a bigger picture perspective.

BURGH86STEEL
08-18-2012, 10:03 PM

Pappy

Will only be a matter of time before people begin to question Haley's play calling, formations, use of players, ect.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Starters to get more work vs. Colts

Posted Aug 17, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers play their second preseason game on Sunday night when they host the Indianapolis Colts at Heinz Field and as expected the starting units will see more playing time.

“I’d like for them to play about twice as long as they did last time out,” said Tomlin. “That’s always a general reference but I always reserve the right to change it based on circumstance, performance, time of possession and things of that nature.”

The second preseason game is one where the rust should already be knocked off and the performances are stepped up a notch or two.

“The big thing is that I want to see a significant step in quality of play and an understanding of situational football and excelling in it,” said Tomlin. “That’s what the preseason is about, particularly the difference between game one and game two.”

As far as the quarterback rotation Tomlin said they are going with Ben Roethlisberger as the starter, Charlie Batch and Jarred Johnson, with veteran Byron Leftwich not playing.

“That’s a plan that we’ve approached going into this thing and we’re going to get Johnson a lot of work, particularly in the first two games,” said Tomlin. “He’s a guy that hasn’t had a bunch of in-game experience, particularly prior to this year. Even though he’s been in an NFL training camp, I think he’s only taken about four preseason snaps. We want to see what he is capable of, we want him get acclimated to an environment and give him a fair opportunity to see what he’s capable of.”

Johnson played the second half against the Eagles in the preseason opener, completing three of six passes for 93 yards.

“He’s a young guy that’s showing the growth and development that young guys show,” said Tomlin. “He’s had some good days and he’s had some days where he’s taken a step back. He’s sharp, he’s attentive, he has the desire to be great and he’s working extremely hard.”

Tackle Max Starks, who was taken off the physically unable to perform list earlier this week, has not been ruled out of playing on Sunday night, nor have other players coming back from injury.

“We’re going to let what happens on the field here today and tomorrow determine that, not only with him but with all of the guys,” said Tomlin. “That’s what I mean when I say I’m not ruling anyone out. Sean Spence is coming back and practicing today. Jonathan Dwyer came back and practiced yesterday, and others. We’re just going to let it play out and we’re not going to make any fast decisions because we don’t have to.

“Hopefully as game time approaches everyone will be available and have an opportunity to represent themselves and what they’re capable of doing.”

While the preseason still rolls on for a few more weeks, the Steelers will finish up their work at St. Vincent College this weekend and return to the UPMC Sports Performance Complex for the remainder of training camp.

Tomlin said he liked what he saw from the team in camp, and was even pleased that for the most part the weather cooperated.

“It was interesting how weather was a question on a daily basis,” said Tomlin. “All that being said we didn’t miss much work due to weather. I think maybe we missed one period due to weather. But it seemed like it was something we dealt with just about every day.”

Punter Jeremy Kapinos could begin working again, after missing a good portion of camp with a back injury.

“He’s working his way back but we’re going to let that work dictate his availability,” said Tomlin. “He’s coming back to us. He might even kick a football today.”

Rookie Chris Rainey will get most of the work in the return game on Sunday night, but he won’t be the only one.

“We’re going to give Chris Rainey the bulk of the work early on. David Gilreath, we want to see what he’s capable of,” said Tomlin. “He missed the last game due to injury so it’s important to see what he’s capable of. Marquis Maze represented himself rather well when given the opportunity last game. Those will be the three primary guys that we work with unless something in-game that dictates otherwise.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Starters-to-get-more-work-vs-Colts/9b26ff6b-7a55-43de-b1ee-ed5361825d0e

NorthCoast
08-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Pappy

And I will take the progress on screen plays any day of the week. It will hopefully prevent Roethlisberger from getting killed halfway through the season.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Starkey: Farewell, Bruce Arians

By Joe Starkey
Published: Saturday, August 18, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=hgqom P$uWYbr3ZlK1gAFnM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuO7TgHYxWuu8g YyV_iu7ujWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians on the sidelines during the 2011 season. (Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review)

First, an interesting and typically cryptic Ben Roethlisberger quote.

This was Wednesday at training camp, after dinner, as Roethlisberger and his wife waited for a golf cart to take them across campus. Not a good time for an interview, obviously, but he graciously agreed to answer a quick question.

The obvious topic, given that the Steelers were days away from Sunday’s exhibition game against the Indianapolis Colts, was Bruce Arians.

“It’ll be different to see him across the field, but it’ll be great,” Roethlisberger said. “I’ve talked to him a couple of times, and I’m just happy for him because I can tell in his voice how happy he is. That means the world to me that he’s happy and excited and has no reins on him. He can just kind of sling it around and have fun.”

Wait, if Arians is excited to have “no reins” in Indy, he must have felt reined in … and there goes Ben on the golf cart.

Look, it’s no secret that Ben was Bruce’s biggest fan. On some days his only fan. It’s also undeniable that Arians, for whatever flaws he had — and he was hardly Bruce Almighty — did some commendable work here as offensive coordinator.

Constantly dealing with moving parts along the line, Arians worked his way to a couple of Super Bowls. The Steelers finished one of them with a legendary drive, the other with a not-so-legendary drive.

How will you remember the man?

Let me rephrase that: How will you remember Arians without throwing something at your television when the camera pans to him?

A random sampling of players revealed most would seek out Arians for a kind word. Head coach Mike Tomlin plans to do the same.

Some players had issues with Arians, as employees will with any boss. But he was generally liked and respected.

And be sure of this: Skill players got rich under him. The Steelers didn’t score enough, but they racked up the kinds of yardage totals that get people paid.

“He got us open,” said Antonio Brown, recent recipient of a $42.5 million contract.

Mike Wallace, I’m guessing, is next.

Before we get to the coordinator-comparison part of the survey, I must tell you of an item sure to warm your hearts: The most-hated play in recent franchise history is still alive.

You know it as the bubble screen.

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley will use a version of it. Left tackle Max Starks confirmed as much in our lengthy talk last week. Starks also confirmed an inconvenient truth: The bubble screen often works, though it’s best used in small doses.

Unfortunately, Arians and Roethlisberger — who often checked into the play to keep defenses honest — sometimes overdosed.

“It got a little predictable,” Starks said.

Linemen always want to run more, and if they had a complaint about Arians, it was that he didn’t call enough runs.

“I still think we had some good-concept run plays,” Starks said. “It’s just that I don’t think they were called enough.”

To a man, players said they prefer the simplicity of Haley’s playbook, though Starks said the running plays are exactly the same, just with different names. He also said there is less room for “interpretation and adjustments” in Haley’s book.

Running back Isaac Redman agreed.

“The playbook’s a lot smaller,” Redman said. “Instead of having a bunch of stuff we don’t even run, we have a set number of plays, and if we run them well, we’ll be hard to stop.”

That remains to be seen, of course. In the meantime, know that Haley is no dummy. One of the themes of camp was physicality in the run game, but this is not going to be a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-Isaac offense.

In fact, Starks says the overriding theme in Latrobe was just what everybody thought it would be: Haley and Roethlisberger, only not in the way people imagined.

“The biggest thing Coach Haley wants to instill is that this is still (Roethlisberger’s) offense, that he still has freedom,” Starks said. “Which, from what I’ve seen, is why we have so much no-huddle because it gives Ben that on-the-field general type of attitude, and you know, Ben works really well with that. It allows him to judge what he thinks is best, not necessarily calling a play every single time that comes in from their headset.

“That’s giving him just due as being a veteran quarterback, an elite quarterback who knows defenses and knows how to run the offense.”

Score one for Haley there. I like his odds to succeed, but I also believe what many do not: He has a tough act to follow.

http://triblive.com/sports/2417420-74/arians-haley-starkey-starks-bruce-roethlisberger-run-ben-coordinator-steelers

DukieBoy
08-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Red Zone underachievement was the final straw. If not for that, BA would still be in Pgh.

feltdizz
08-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the NFL Luck... if Ike can pick you off you have a lot of work to do... lol.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the NFL Luck... if Ike can pick you off you have a lot of work to do... lol.

Andrew Luck obviously throws a very catchable ball...:D

Ghost
08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
After the pick, Luck picked apart the D. He was moving them at will. He's going to be great.

feltdizz
08-19-2012, 10:20 PM
After the pick, Luck picked apart the D. He was moving them at will. He's going to be great.

Lebeau took his foot off the gas.

Luck is going to be good... great? Not sure yet.

Steel Life
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Lebeau took his foot off the gas.

Luck is going to be good... great? Not sure yet.
Still...it was an impressive drive. I was less impressed by our 2nd stringers than I was impressed by Luck. And for the record - the Luck run for TD was BS.

birtikidis
08-19-2012, 10:41 PM
We sat a bunch of guys at that point too

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 10:41 PM
And for the record - the Luck run for TD was BS.

yup, the football was not across the line when Luck started his slide and also his knee was down before he crossed the goal line.

Starlifter
08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
maybe it's just me, but it sure seemed like BA was sending a big FU to the steelers tonight. seriously, 25 attempts by luck in the first half alone?? when for the steelers the goal was around 30/30 pass run for ben? just my guess, but I felt like this was BA telling tomlin - you kept me reined in and this is what we COULD have done.

but it's pre season and DL had a very vanilla defense going. meaningless i guess.......

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Luck’s skills readily apparent versus Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Sunday, August 19, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=tq5$_ xsdTcV97$_1rBYXVc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuDoIS3qpRblPF rxmo6EQV4WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Andrew Luck’s skill set as it projects to the NFL has never been questioned.

But with any rookie — let alone the top overall pick in April’s draft who is being asked to be the second coming of Peyton Manning — how he responds to adversity will be significant.

Luck’s performance against the Steelers, who had the NFL’s top pass defense a year ago, spoke volumes.

Luck shrugged off a pair of costly first-half interceptions to respond with long touchdown drives in only his second professional game, a 26-24 loss.

“It showed character and maturity of Andrew to come back, make plays, move the ball and have two nice drives,” Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano said. “We showed great character and heart, that this team has to come back and put together two great touchdown drives together.”

Throw in a two-minute drill at the end of the first half that resulted in a field goal, and Luck’s day was quite productive.

“It was a rough start, but I settled down after that,” Luck said.

Luck struggled early, enduring a three-and-out on his first series and a punt on his second.

The third series was much worse.

Luck made a rookie mistake when he stared at receiver Reggie Wayne on a third-and-9. He paid the price when Ike Taylor stepped underneath and returned an interception 49 yards for a touchdown.

“He is his own worst critic,” Pagano said. “He would love to have the first one back.”

Luck continued to show why Indianapolis felt comfortable releasing Manning.

Luck threw for 175 yards in the first half and led Indianapolis to a pair of 10-play, 80-yard touchdown drives, with the final one resulting in his fourth-down touchdown run from a yard out.

“He bounced back, and that’s what you want to see,” Colts linebacker Dwight Freeney said. “Nobody ever said it was going to be easy.”

After a slow start, Luck looked like anything but a rookie for the second consecutive week. After he threw his first interception, he responded by completing four consecutive passes for 60 yards — including a 13-yarder to Dwayne Allen on third down — to lead the Colts to a touchdown that cut the score to 14-7.

“You never want to give up big plays on defense and throw a pick-six on the offensive side of the ball,” Pagano said.

Luck was unlucky the next time the Colts got the ball. Rookie receiver T.Y. Hilton was open behind the secondary but let the ball bounce off his chest and into the waiting hands of Steelers defensive back Cortez Allen.

Luck responded like a veteran the next time Indianapolis got the ball, albeit against the Steelers’ second-team defense.

“I sensed (they) didn’t throw the kitchen sink at me. (They) showed a good bit. For the most part, we handled it well,” Luck said about the Steelers’ defense.

Luck threw every kind of pass imaginable — short, deep, across the middle, screens — as he completed all five of his passes for 65 yards. Consecutive throws to Wayne gained 27 and 18 yards, setting up the Colts for the game-tying score late in the first half.

“It doesn’t seem to be too big for him. He was able to stay focused and bounce back,” Wayne said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2437837-85/luck-touchdown-steelers-colts-ball-rookie-yards-drives-indianapolis-defense

fezziwig
08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought Luck did well against the Steelers. I'm sure Arians and the Ravens, I mean Colts coaching staff address this game as a real game since it was against the Steelers.
Arians did well with his new quarterback and the name fits well too. Arians needs the luck of over talented QB's like Peyton, Ben and now Luck to maintain his job.